• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cloneinc... soulshok has posted a solution in this thread, 1 or 2 pages back. He also posted it on the EA forums. Everyone has gotten to work with 100% success. Shame that EA hasn't told their own customer service rep's about it.
 
Will valve games be on Origin? No.

Except that there are several Valve games on Origin, link and link.

So long as they keep expanding their library of games I really don't see why this is such a big deal. And if people choose to miss out on a potentially great game because they don't want to install Origin then that's their own choice. I'm personally not going to let something so petty get in the way of me enjoying the game.
 
Someone should start a "I don't want to install Origin" thread so people can bitch there, while those who want to talk about BF3 can look in this thread.

Having said that, I can't wait to play BF3 this October. I'm not too excited about the beta map though.
 
The "one teet" comments are amusing n all, but you guys are missing something here. When you launch a game from steam, steam pauses all updates and won't start any other updates until you exit the game you are playing. Now with this situation, you are going to launch a game from origin, and steam is going to update something in the background, or vice versa, and your ping is going to jump to 500+ for a few minutes. Only solution, and only for those who realize what's going on, is to either run one or the other, and that is kind of a pain and defeats the purpose of an online distribution, now when I start steam to go play a game (because realistically I am only going to remember to start steam when I get ready to play something if I have to keep exiting steam and starting it again) I am going to have to wait for it to update before I can play oft-times. Might as well not even have steam and just download patches and rock out like it's 1997 again. Yes, I know there are starving kids in africa and I shouldn't complain, but it's all just very inconvenient. I feel EA did not have to do this (not allow BF3 on steam), so the complaints about not having BF3 on steam are legitimate.

And juggling this situation when every other developer decides it wants a cut of the distribution is going to be tragi-comic. It's not just an issue of running two programs at once..
 
You will only be able to update the game through Origin/Battlelog, which circumvents the Steam updating process.
At the end of the day, you will need Origin for BF3 to function. Remember, EA doesn't want to turn over updates to Steam.

When my PC boots, both Steam and Origin are inactive. I don't and will never start a game client at startup.
I know it's tough out there, killing one program to start another, but 3-5 sec. of wait is not going to bury you.
 
Last edited:
The "one teet" comments are amusing n all, but you guys are missing something here. When you launch a game from steam, steam pauses all updates and won't start any other updates until you exit the game you are playing. Now with this situation, you are going to launch a game from origin, and steam is going to update something in the background, or vice versa, and your ping is going to jump to 500+ for a few minutes. Only solution, and only for those who realize what's going on, is to either run one or the other, and that is kind of a pain and defeats the purpose of an online distribution, now when I start steam to go play a game (because realistically I am only going to remember to start steam when I get ready to play something if I have to keep exiting steam and starting it again) I am going to have to wait for it to update before I can play oft-times. Might as well not even have steam and just download patches and rock out like it's 1997 again. Yes, I know there are starving kids in africa and I shouldn't complain, but it's all just very inconvenient. I feel EA did not have to do this (not allow BF3 on steam), so the complaints about not having BF3 on steam are legitimate.

And juggling this situation when every other developer decides it wants a cut of the distribution is going to be tragi-comic. It's not just an issue of running two programs at once..

so we should let steam monopolize the market because of updates that are very rarely going to happen at the same time you're playing BF3? Yeah, you really thought long and hard about that one... :rolleyes:

We aren't missing anything, we just realize it's not even remotely close to being the "issue" you make it out to be. Perhaps you should find a forum where people dont know any better, and you may get further with that reasoning.
 
You will only be able to update the game through Origin/Battlelog, which circumvents the Steam updating process.
At the end of the day, you will need Origin for BF3 to function. Remember, EA doesn't want to turn over updates to Steam.

When my PC boots, both Steam and Origin are inactive. I don't and will never start a game client at startup. I check my email and [H] before I check what games are on sale.

OK, well origin won't auto-update while playing a steam game, but steam games will do so while playing an origin game then. Only somewhat better..
 
so we should let steam monopolize the market because of updates that are very rarely going to happen at the same time you're playing BF3? Yeah, you really thought long and hard about that one... :rolleyes:

We aren't missing anything, we just realize it's not even remotely close to being the "issue" you make it out to be.

How is it monopolizing to allow BF3 on steam AND origin. talk about 'thinking long and hard'. :rolleyes: And yea, it is going to be an issue for me, I was very specific, my and other gamers pings will jump to unplayable levels during updates, I didn't exaggerate the issue one bit.. Steam releases updates constantly, and it will affect many people who do not otherwise know what is going on, and make everyone else juggle programs.
 
Except that there are several Valve games on Origin, link and link.

So long as they keep expanding their library of games I really don't see why this is such a big deal. And if people choose to miss out on a potentially great game because they don't want to install Origin then that's their own choice. I'm personally not going to let something so petty get in the way of me enjoying the game.
No digital copies though. Valve still have exclusive rights to their digital content.

OK, well origin won't auto-update while playing a steam game, but steam games will do so while playing an origin game then. Only somewhat better..
I don't see the significance of having Steam constantly run in the background. When you're ready to use Steam, launch it and it will update any games then.
Origin is still in Beta, they haven't finish copying the Steam playbook yet. Those features are a possibly.
 
How is it monopolizing to allow BF3 on steam AND origin. talk about 'thinking long and hard'. :rolleyes: And yea, it is going to be an issue for me, I was very specific, my and other gamers pings will jump to unplayable levels during updates, I didn't say exaggerate the issue one bit..

Yes, you did, because I've got over 80 games on steam and a few on origin, both load at startup and have not experienced this drama you speak of... Ever.
 
Yes, you did, because I've got over 80 games on steam and a few on origin, both load at startup and have not experienced this drama you speak of... Ever.

Great, I'll keep that in mind that some random person said he had no problem when I am lagging out in BF3. Because I'm pretty certain steam downloading at 75% of my 6mbit connection is going to cause ungodly problems in a 64 person server of BF3. All I'm saying, is people taking EA to tasks for not releasing on steam do have legitimate complaints, and it's not because of 40mbs of memory that origin takes up or whatever.

So we should stop using Steam is what you're saying?

Was thinking more along the lines, of increase pressure on EA to release BF3 on steam actually.
 
You're being a drama queen, nothing more nothing less. You're forecasting issues you haven't even experienced and I'm not exaggerating the issue one bit either.
 
Sigh... some of you are missing the point. I don't dislike origin, I just dislike publishers fighting and not releasing their content on all of the major digital distributions.. Eventually this will lead to every major publisher having their own system, which is annoying. I'd rather they all work together and release their content, even if it costs more on another service. I'd happily pay a couple bucks more to use a service that I already have a vested interest in; if you want to buy it from their own service be my guest. I WANT THE OPTION TO DO EITHER.
 
I just dislike publishers fighting and not releasing their content on all of the major digital distributions.. Eventually this will lead to every major publisher having their own system, which is annoying. I'd rather they all work together and release their content, even if it costs more on another service. I'd happily pay a couple bucks more to use a service that I already have a vested interest in; if you want to buy it from their own service be my guest. I WANT THE OPTION TO DO EITHER.

Let's take a look at consoles. They fight over exclusives every year.
Exclusives bring in customers. In order to have value over another service, they have to present something the other company doesn't have.
If everyone sold the exact same goods, why have different stores to buy from? Price alone doesn't breed loyal customers, as you pointed out by paying extra money for good service.

If EA is going to sell the same games as Steam, why get into the DD business in the first place?
They can't compete with Steam selling the same games.
 
You're being a drama queen, nothing more nothing less. You're forecasting issues you haven't even experienced and I'm not exaggerating the issue one bit either.

No I'm not being a drama queen. It's is simple science to state that steam downloading (which goes anywhere from 50%-100% of my pipe) and playing an intensive MultiPlayer game like BF3 would be on 64-man servers is going to be a problem. Do you seriously say "I have not experienced a problem yet, so I'm not going to worry about it" about everything? Because I doubt you would be alive still if you did. It's called 'foresight' and it works wonders.
 
[It's Portuguese not Spanish. *shakes elderly fist* :p].

It has nothing to do with game versions. It was bought retail in the UK. That particular game was manually activated/added by a CS rep though.
In-game it's all good, it's just the title and, consequently, the install folder.

Can I please has name change? :]

Sorry, I didn't realize that. I'll see what I can do.
 
Dude you're getting to play BF3 again for 12 days before the retail game. You couldn't have expected to have gotten a second map when there's only 9 in the game.
 
Add Origin as a non-Steam game. Whenever you start Origin it stops Steam from downloading stuff. :D

Sounds like a good solution, I might try that. I wonder, additionally, if it is possible to just add an origin game as a non-steam game (by pointing to e.g. bf3.exe), and run it from steam, because that would be the best situation (of all available options.)
 
Damn, that is really disappointing that it is only the Metro map again. Oh well, official release is not far off now.

They better allow key remapping now unlike the alpha.
 
No I'm not being a drama queen. It's is simple science to state that steam downloading (which goes anywhere from 50%-100% of my pipe) and playing an intensive MultiPlayer game like BF3 would be on 64-man servers is going to be a problem. Do you seriously say "I have not experienced a problem yet, so I'm not going to worry about it" about everything? Because I doubt you would be alive still if you did. It's called 'foresight' and it works wonders.

Yes you are, beucase as I said, chances of that happening are extremely slim. A game update just happens to take place while you're playing? Like I said, I have over 80 games (87 to be exact) and if it was going to be a real issue, surly I'd have experienced it by now with 87 games going out and checking for updaters, but it hasn't. You're speculating, I'm not.

You're crying about what might rarely, if ever, happen. I'm not sure what you define drama queen as but that to me seems like a dictionary perfect defination.
 
Sounds like a good solution, I might try that. I wonder, additionally, if it is possible to just add an origin game as a non-steam game (by pointing to e.g. bf3.exe), and run it from steam, because that would be the best situation (of all available options.)

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php+++++++8571-GLVN-8711

There you go, another solution. Enable QoS on your router and set the client ports to a low priority AND/OR find out what port BF3 is going to use and set that as a high priority. Problem solved.
 
Dude you're getting to play BF3 again for 12 days before the retail game. You couldn't have expected to have gotten a second map when there's only 9 in the game.

In most beta's you get 2 maps , just a common expectation I suppose.
 
Yes you are, beucase as I said, chances of that happening are extremely slim. A game update just happens to take place while you're playing? Like I said, I have over 80 games (87 to be exact) and if it was going to be a real issue, surly I'd have experienced it by now with 87 games going out and checking for updaters, but it hasn't. You're speculating, I'm not.

You're crying about what might rarely, if ever, happen. I'm not sure what you define drama queen as but that to me seems like a dictionary perfect defination.

I'm not speculating, crying or being a drama queen, or any other similar word. I know for a fact that downloading 100% of my pipe (as steam often does) is going to kill performance in BF3. And these solutions are ok for me (except I don't have a router), but for average gamers they will not do. Steam 'just works', steam + origin do not. Now maybe you have a better pipe, or a slower steam download, or play unintensive games, or maybe you don't notice lag because you aren't competitive like I am, or any other number of variables, but none of them apply to what I'm saying.
 
That has to be the most retarded and manufactured reason for hating Origin I have seen yet. "Ohnoes, Steam will keeps downloading whens I plays BF3 unless I tells it not to!"
 
I'm not speculating, crying or being a drama queen, or any other similar word. I know for a fact that downloading 100% of my pipe (as steam often does) is going to kill performance in BF3.

Unless you've played BF3 and had this happen, you're speculating. If you think you aren't then you don't know the definition of speculating.

Also, I suggest you actually read what I'm saying instead of being a drama queen. I've clearly said, at least three times now, that the odds of Steam downloading an update while you're actually playing BF3 are going to be extremely slim. Odds of downloading an update that lasts more than a few seconds are slimmer still. Read, think, then reply, otherwise you're saying the same thing over and over again and still not getting the point.

And if you're still that concerned about an issue that's likely to never happen, configure QoS on your router.

Your "fear" is a non-issue in so many ways it's not even funny. Actually, it is a little funny...
 
That has to be the most retarded and manufactured reason for hating Origin I have seen yet. "Ohnoes, Steam will keeps downloading whens I plays BF3 unless I tells it not to!"

Yea, except I'm not hating origin, I'm saying there are reasons to want BF3 on steam. And how is it a manufacturered reason for anything, lag sucks, it was easily avoidable, what good reason is there for BF3 not to be on steam in addition to origin that couters the benefit of having it on steam as well?
 
Last edited:
Unless you've played BF3 and had this happen, you're speculating. If you think you aren't then you don't know the definition of speculating.

Also, I suggest you actually read what I'm saying instead of being a drama queen. I've clearly said, at least three times now, that the odds of Steam downloading an update while you're actually playing BF3 are going to be extremely slim. Odds of downloading an update that lasts more than a few seconds are slimmer still. Read, think, then reply, otherwise you're saying the same thing over and over again and still not getting the point.

And if you're still that concerned about an issue that's likely to never happen, configure QoS on your router.

Your "fear" is a non-issue in so many ways it's not even funny.

I know what speculating means. Saying that if I jump off a bridge I will get hurt, is not speculating just because I haven't done it before. It is not speculating to say an app using almost all or all of your bandwidth while you try to play a MP game is going to kill performance. Sorry it's just not. And I think a drama queen is someone who continually uses the word to describe other people, but w/e.
 
I know what speculating means. Saying that if I jump off a bridge I will get hurt, is not speculating just because I haven't done it before. It is not speculating to say an app using almost all or all of your bandwidth while you try to play a MP game is going to kill performance. Sorry it's just not. And I think a drama queen is someone who continually uses the word to describe other people, but w/e.

How about the fact that an update while playing would be extremely rare? What about the fact that "lag" would be preventable by using QoS?

Your reasoning is totally baseless not to mention completely preventable, yet you're still complaining about it.

My apologies, me calling you a drama queen is clearly out of line right? :rolleyes: cuz complaining about non-issues makes so much sense and not at all dramatic.
 
How about the fact that an update while playing would be extremely rare? What about the fact that "lag" would be preventable by using QoS?

Your reasoning is totally baseless not to mention completely preventable, yet you're still complaining about it.

My apologies, me calling you a drama queen is clearly out of line right? :rolleyes:

I have already said 1. I don't have a router. 2. that is not a solution for a gamer, maybe for a network admin, but not a gamer, to go into his router or OS and configure that. You act like I am the only one in the world who will be affected. So yea, it's preventable with those solutions, or by not buying the game, but those are asinine. A better solution would be for EA to stop trying to be an abusive monopoly by not allowing their games on competitors services. In that light, yes I do think calling me a drama queen is out of line and I accept your apology. This is a forum, where people talk about things, if you don't like what I'm talking about to the point of anger and name calling, go do any of an INFINITE number of other things to do on this planet, will ya.

But you know what, in the interest of not filling this thread with 1,000+ posts going back and forth with you, this will be my last post on the issue. Enjoy the last word, which will no doubt contain the phrase 'drama queen' at least once.
 
lol QoS not for gamers??? It doesn't take a network engineer to configure.

BF3 is available on every major DD service except steam, so there goes your monopoly theory.
I'm a gamer, I use QoS, so there goes that theory
I have Steam, and I've played MP games using Origin and have not ever received lag while having 87 games check for updates... So there goes that theory

You're in luck, you've literally got nothing to worry about.

Oh, and my QoS configuration is for my Vonage, not Steam or Origin and I still haven't experienced the doom and gloom that is Steam updates + MP gaming on Origin
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top