Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prior promo. Probably used 25% off coupon. EA sent everyone who pre-ordered BF3 early a choice between MOH, DS2, or ME2.

I purchased mine from the alpha link. Chose ME2. EA e-mailed me and offered me the same 3 games again, chose DS2. I should've chose MOH and I would've gotten DS2 free now.

Yep, this :).
 
i'm glad to see that they're slowing down the rate of unlocks. something between BF2 and BC2 would be great.
 
BF2 I guess took awhile to unlock, even though there wasn't many unlocks.

BC2's unlock pacing was fine, it was long enough so had a chance to use everything and learn the game as you unlocked. But it didn't turn into a MMO type grinding experience.

I personally hate this new trend of over combining RPG elements into FPS games. I want FPS and RTS games to stay with the formula that a person who has played 20 hours and a person who has played 100 hours are on the same competitive footing as long as they have the same knowledge and skill level.
 
BF2 unlock system was a tad too much for me... I have about 250 hr in the game and I still havent unlocked my last two weapons for sniper and spec ops lol.

BC2 felt way to easy/short. It felt like I had everything unlocked in about a week...along with everyone else.
 
Anyone want my 25% off coupon that I received for my birthday? It expires 10/06 and I don't foresee myself using it so if anyone could benefit just drop me a PM and it's yours.

Edit: Code has been handed out.
 
Last edited:
BF2 unlock system was a tad too much for me... I have about 250 hr in the game and I still havent unlocked my last two weapons for sniper and spec ops lol.

BC2 felt way to easy/short. It felt like I had everything unlocked in about a week...along with everyone else.

Agreed, BC2 was like hyperspeed fast.
 
i have 415 hours in BF2 and I'm 223 points away from my last unlock lol... http://bf2s.com/player/43546227/

I like the longer unlock system. keeps me interested for a longer period of time. In BC2 I decided to get gold on all the guns because, like Rooble, everything was unlocked in a week. Even getting gold on everything didn't take too long. Can get 100 kills in 3-4 rounds so even that only took about a week.

I'd still be playing BF2 if my friends hadn't of moved on. It is probably one of my favorite games of all time.
 
So 365 days worth of playing? Or just a year of casual play? Still though that dwarfs other Battlefields.

It's open to interpretation, but I doubt DICE meant 365.25x24 (or even x8).

Personally, I'm perfectly ok with unlocks taking some effort.
 
Yea I dont think it would be a video, especially the way the one post states "its news we've all been waiting for"

They only news Ive been waiting for is the beta.. so lets HOPE!
 
It's open to interpretation, but I doubt DICE meant 365.25x24 (or even x8).

Personally, I'm perfectly ok with unlocks taking some effort.

The link states 400 hours to unlock everything, or a little over an hour a day for a year.
 
Alpha benchmarks? I'd rather wait for beta benchmarks since it will include performance updates.
 
Well no kidding you can't play the game with a dual core. BFBc2 was/is hard enough now forget it. Minimum of a 2500K or else LAG!
 
Alpha benchmarks? I'd rather wait for beta benchmarks since it will include performance updates.

It did not even have all the bells and whistles turned on. I think I remember reading it was either DX9 or DX10 in the alpha, DX11 was not even enabled.
 
Well no kidding you can't play the game with a dual core. BFBc2 was/is hard enough now forget it. Minimum of a 2500K or else LAG!

I'm pretty sure my 920@4.2 will handle it okay.. Though I feel bad for those stuck in the C2 era. :p
 
Yea I dont think it would be a video, especially the way the one post states "its news we've all been waiting for"

They only news Ive been waiting for is the beta.. so lets HOPE!

Im betting on getting a Beta Launch Date along with the Beta FAQ, possibly a Trailer for the Beta as well.:)

Really don't see it rolling out anytime early this week if at all, BC2 patch update scheduled for Wednesday i believe.
 
Funny you mentioned the BC2 support thing. A new patch for BC2 is supposed to be released this week I believe. I'm sure it will be the final patch for it, and I would be willing to bet BC2 will be empty in another month and a half.

The alpha had what, one map? lower resolution textures? and far less people downloading it? Yeah, not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Unless Dice includes both Metro and Caspian I don't see it being any larger than a couple gig download. I really don't see them allowing us to preload it, and I'm sure it will just get pushed out the door. You have to also take into consideration that the only people that will be able to get it for the first two days are MoH LE people(yay me!) and Origin preorders(yay me again!). With that being said I'm sure dl speeds will be slow as fuck, if not completely broken on day one of open beta.
 
Last edited:
It did not even have all the bells and whistles turned on. I think I remember reading it was either DX9 or DX10 in the alpha, DX11 was not even enabled.

Tha alpha did use the DX11 API if you had a card and OS that was supported, and fell back to DX10 for the rest. But you're right in that it did not include more of the more graphic intensive options. Performance will drop as a result, but I'm not expecting a huge hit since IHVs have not even started to optimize drivers, especially with AMD not even having enabled multi-threaded rendering.
 
EA makes patches for their developers games now? :rolleyes:

"DICE" will shift support to BF3, and patches will be far inbetween on BC2.
The code in that game is unfixable per their final patch notes. BC2 will not improve measurably even if support continued.

EA doesn't pay the bills for DICE? :rolleyes:.

Ah well, I'll be playing BF3 anyways, but would still be good if BC2 had support.
 
I don't give a shit about BC2. It's getting uninstalled the instant BF3 beta is released and will never be re-installed again.
 
EA doesn't pay the bills for DICE? :rolleyes:.

Ah well, I'll be playing BF3 anyways, but would still be good if BC2 had support.

EA doesn't keep DICE from releasing patches, they already gave them the budget for it.
The same goes for DICE making the decision not to enable mod tools for their games.

EA wants a game on the shelves by X date, and DLC by X date. That's all they care about.
What happens after that is up to the dev.
 
I'M READY... BRING ON THE METH!!!

cvZ.gif
 
I don't give a shit about BC2. It's getting uninstalled the instant BF3 beta is released and will never be re-installed again.

ROFL This. Why would I want to play BC2 when I can play the game that fixes essentially everything that was wrong with BC2.
 
Question:
I really want to upgrade my graphics card for BF3.

I cant decide between a GTX570 or a GTX580.

I have the money for either, I just don't know if the 580 is actually worth $150 more then the 570.
I will be running @ 1680x1050 for the time being. So 570 or 580?
Trying to order ASAP to get ready for the beta.

Any advice?
 
Question:
I really want to upgrade my graphics card for BF3.

I cant decide between a GTX570 or a GTX580.

I have the money for either, I just don't know if the 580 is actually worth $150 more then the 570.
I will be running @ 1680x1050 for the time being. So 570 or 580?
Trying to order ASAP to get ready for the beta.

Any advice?

I'd go with the 570 if you're running at 1680x1050.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top