Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may have mattered... 15 years ago! Rofl.

The same people saying it doesn't matter that you need to be online to play Diablo 3 will be in here saying "ORIGIN IS A MEMORY HOG NOT EVERYONE HAS 4/8 GIGS OF RAM OMG IT'S 2011 THIS PROGRAM SHOULD ONLY TAKE UP 10MB OF RAM"

OMGZS!!!11 ORIGIN IS MEMORY PIG!!11ONE

sshot20110811234030.png

*oinc oinc*

Why can't it be lean like Steam?

Last edited:
Strange, I was in the Alpha trial and EA emailed me with an "offer I cannot refuse." Basically, I got a free game (Dead Space 2), beta access in September, BF f2p item and Karkand map. The deal was live for only 3 days.

Well, yeah. If I preorder now I still get the 48 hour early access like you would (48 hours earlier than the general public, not for 48 hours right now), but that's been said to start in September. The posts above and the Steam group say that people are getting invited right now

Holy shit Raudulfr I got like 35 processes running compared to your 112!

I have question. If I get my hands on battlefield 3 alpha can I do anything with it or is it just online play? Meaning I need to have name and password in order to login and play.

Anyone else find it funny that they refuse to sell through Steam yet they're using the community for announcements? I would shut that shit down if I was Valve.

sshot20110811234030.png

*oinc oinc*

Lol, owned. I do not typically quote pics but... this needs to be. I thought I remembered Steam taking more ram than 20mb rofl. Think I have seen mine hit 200mb at times.

Anyone else find it funny that they refuse to sell through Steam yet they're using the community for announcements? I would shut that shit down if I was Valve.

Yeah! Valve should totally shut down the Unofficial BF3 Group!
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/UnofficialBF3/announcements/detail/1405341570026955575

Yeah, it's an unofficial group, run by a fan, not a DICE employee. Guess you missed that part! Seriously, are people so blinded by hate for EA that they "shoot first and ask questions later"?
Why can't people just think about how awesome BF3 is/will be and forget all about this petty bullshit? It's getting ridiculous.

Last edited:
Yeah! Valve should totally shut down the Unofficial BF3 Group!
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/UnofficialBF3/announcements/detail/1405341570026955575

Yeah, it's an unofficial group, run by a fan, not a DICE employee. Guess you missed that part! Seriously, are people so blinded by hate for EA that they "shoot first and ask questions later"?
Why can't people just think about how awesome BF3 is/will be and forget all about this petty bullshit?

Oh you got me. Still. Shut 'em down! Haha.

sshot20110811234030.png

*oinc oinc*

Did you have Origin minimized to tray and Steam open on your screen? My Steam.exe is using 17mb while it's not on my taskbar.

Mine is at 23mb. You can make anything look bad when you try.

You failed, only someone ignorant (looks up) would swallow that picture without question. The fact that he is using 23% of CPU and 88% memory... AND talks like a xbox CoD kiddie should be a clue.

edit, took a pic of my steam.exe I closed the steam I had open (its been open all day and just got done with BC2) and reopened it, and its under 16mb.

2q381ea.jpg

Obviously goldentiger isnt very smart, and neither is the original poster. Protip: you can drag the CPU bar over, to cover the user name. You dont have to edit it to blur your name out. Man, you just arent that smart..

Or... some systems run different from others. But seriously, MediaMonkey? :)

Or... some systems run different from others. But seriously, MediaMonkey? :)

Yup mine is showing different than both of them, lol.
This was taken after opening them both up fresh and no games running (as seen by the CPU usage) and neither one minimized to the taskbar.

Not that I care cause my system is good enough that I couldn't care less :).

Capture-2.png

Yup mine is showing different than both of them, lol.
This was taken after opening them both up fresh and no games running (as seen by the CPU usage) and neither one minimized to the taskbar.

Not that I care cause my system is good enough that I couldn't care less :).

Capture-2.png

Steam runs down in the "hidden icons" area at all times for me. I just opened it and have it showing my library, and same with Origin. Steam is using 105Mb and Origin is using 72Mb. Different for every computer im sure, but from the facts so far it seems if you averaged it all out, they would be close to even. Just another Steam fanboy overstatement when they say "Steam is a sleek thin client! It barely uses any memory! And Origin is a fat bloatware client!!! When i PC game its Steam or nothing!!"

I love steam, and im liking Origin and all the deals (and free games) im getting, iv got nothing to say so far but nice things about both.

UPDATE: A good point that can be made for me personally is that i just reduced them both (Origin & Steam) and Steam is now using 15Mb and Origin is still using 70ish Mb's. Now THAT is something to be slightly annoyed about.

Steam can use anywhere from 10-150mb of RAM from what I've seen. Origin is like 50-90mb of RAM. Neither are very bad at all.

UPDATE: A good point that can be made for me personally is that i just reduced them both (Origin & Steam) and Steam is now using 15Mb and Origin is still using 70ish Mb's. Now THAT is something to be slightly annoyed about.

I noticed that too. Origin don't seem to go into light weight mode, or what ever you call it, when minimized to the taskbar. I would hope they fix that, but then again Origin is still in Beta.

I dont see why it makes such a huge difference. I'm eagerly waiting for the game.

I'm glad I have 16gb of ram.... With all of you complaining about origin taking up ram.. maybe I will finally max it out!! :rolleyes:

Bring on bf3 and origin! I'm ready!

Can't wait for the beta!

When I opened my Steam up with taskman running it bounced all over the place from 20-120meg for about a minute or so then settled down right around 18meg. Regardless, quibbling over 100-200 meg in todays system is really grasping for straws.

Yeah, couple of hundred megs of extra RAM usage is hardly a problem with anyone running a 64-bit system with 8 gigs or more of RAM lol.

But it all moot now that we know Origin is indeed needed for BF3.

I almost like that BF3 needs Origin and all the Steam fanboys/EA haters/Origin Haters are saying "they wont get BF3 then!". Weeds out all the non legit BF lovers. If you love BF2, and played it like almost 99% of people that played it..you would get BF3 if it had the worst DRM in the world lol, im so freakin excited for BF3.

I never said I wasn't going to get BF3. Matte of fact there will only every be 3 games I will be purchasing from Origin over the next year: BF3/TOR/ME3. I am looking at all of the games I own, and EA is hardly anywhere to be seen. BFBC2 is probably the only game I even play anymore with an EA tag.

I almost like that BF3 needs Origin and all the Steam fanboys/EA haters/Origin Haters are saying "they wont get BF3 then!". Weeds out all the non legit BF lovers. If you love BF2, and played it like almost 99% of people that played it..you would get BF3 if it had the worst DRM in the world lol, im so freakin excited for BF3.

I know I'll be getting it :). I couldn't care less that it's not on Steam or might use 200mb of memory.
Not that i'm any good at the multiplayer aspect but it's still fun even though I die alot :D.

Yup, it is. Lol at failguy flinging insults over it.

You sound angry your straw grasping isn't working.

How ironic, you call me out for "insulting" you, yet you do the same to me by changing my name.

So sorry I hurt you feelings,I don't think what I said was even close to an insult, but whatever.

I am not even close to angry. You posted a picture and tried to make it seem like the truth. When in fact, it is not even close. My picture, and others testimonies are far more accurate. The fact is orgin uses more memory and cpu cycles. This is well known, and reported. Sure it can vary from PC to PC and depending on what you're doing. By the looks of your PC, you need all the help you can get. 88% memory usage, 112 processes? Really? Your problem seems to be largely user error. But Im done talking with you about it. You tried, and got shot done, done with you.

Back on topic;
The fact is, origin simply cant compete with Steam as far as games. Or prices for that matter. EA doesnt have anywhere near the games that Steam has from dozens of different publishers. They are simply trying to get their fledgling software started, by forcing it down buyers throats attaching it to a game a lot of people want. Thats the bottom line. It is true Valve makes you do the same for their games. Their software is also many times better than EA's. I, however do not want a separate software package for each game company I want to play, thats just silly. Now it seems I have to either forgo BF3, or bite my tounge and get origin. The BF series is one my of favorites, so I will buy it. Which is exactly what EA is betting on.

Last edited:
The fact is, origin simply cant compete with Steam as far as games. Or prices for that matter. EA doesnt have anywhere near the games that Steam has from dozens of different publishers.Their software is also many times better than EA's. I, however do not want a separate software package for each game company I want to play, thats just silly. Now it seems I have to either forgo BF3, or bite my tounge and get origin. The BF series is one my of favorites, so I will buy it. Which is exactly what EA is betting on.

I would say that EA can more than just compete with Steam on prices, considering it publishes those titles and has control of pricing in general.

Maybe, but they have some nerve forcing us to use the program. The consumer should be able to choose the software management package they want. EA should have a fair chance to win me over with origin, but I should be the one to make the decision when I'm ready to switch.

I'm buying a game from you, and thats it. All you should be doing in terms of installing additional services is giving me the option of adding a shortcut to the .exe that directly launches the game on my desktop.

Now I dont have the willpower to just outright not buy the game, but I know for a fact it runs without origin running because I've killed the origin .exe and the game was still running. So I'll be tinkering with it and downloading whatever cracked patches are out there to avoid origin all together. The only time I'll be running origin is when they release a patch, because you know they arnt going to do the most simplistic of things such as putting a link to the patch.exe on the downloads section of their website.

I am not even close to angry. You posted a picture and tried to make it seem like the truth. When in fact, it is not even close. My picture, and others testimonies are far more accurate. The fact is orgin uses more memory and cpu cycles. This is well known, and reported. Sure it can vary from PC to PC and depending on what you're doing. By the looks of your PC, you need all the help you can get. 88% memory usage, 112 processes? Really? Your problem seems to be largely user error. But Im done talking with you about it. You tried, and got shot done, done with you.

1. GoldenTiger didn't post that picture, I did.
  2. I didn't try to make anything seem like the truth, it is what it is.
  3. "Your picture" is more accurate... why? Because you say so? A bit arrogant aren't we?

Let's play a little game then:

• Let Steam start;
    • Run a Steam game;
    • Then report Steam's memory usage.

100MB is what Steam used after running BC2, and it stayed at 100MB for a while, at least.
    Closing Steam and repeating "only" raised it to 60MB. Same for running Fallout New Vegas.

Just because a process can idle at 20MB doesn't mean it will always stay that way, especially if the software is being used, say, by running a game? Isn't that rather obvious?

4. By the looks of my PC I need help? Really? You can tell how fast (or not) my PC is from a screenshot of the Task Manager?

• I have a lot of software running. Useful software, software I like, software I can afford to run all at the same time. That's the beauty of having a quad-core CPU, a good SATA-6Gbps SSD and plenty of RAM. It's all fast and snappy.
    • Memory usage was high because I only had 4GB at the time of that screenshot and Minecraft was running in the background. Which is completely irrelevant to Steam's memory usage. Tested and verified.
    • You might be "afraid" to fully utilize your computer but that doesn't signify others are too. RAM is cheap and is meant to be used. Not to mention the fact that Windows 7 likes to put RAM to good use. A fact that everyone knows, except you apparently?
    • A process using different amounts of memory on different computers is "user error"? Sure it is. But please, carry on with your argumentum ad hominem.

If you think anyone was "shot down" by your shoddy arguments and personal attacks then you are sorely mistaken.

Now I am done with you.

Last edited:
So....the game looks good guys...

Can't wait to play...Anybody else been playing BC2 more lately because of this game?

1. GoldenTiger didn't post that picture, I did.
  2. I didn't try to make anything seem like the truth, it is what it is.
  3. "Your picture" is more accurate... why? Because you say so? A bit arrogant aren't we?

Let's play a little game then:

• Let Steam start;
    • Run a Steam game;
    • Then report Steam's memory usage.

100MB is what Steam used after running BC2, and it stayed at 100MB for a while, at least.
    Closing Steam and repeating "only" raised it to 60MB. Same for running Fallout New Vegas.

Just because a process can idle at 20MB doesn't mean it will always stay that way, especially if the software is being used, say, by running a game? Isn't that rather obvious?

4. By the looks of my PC I need help? Really? You can tell how fast (or not) my PC is from a screenshot of the Task Manager?

• I have a lot of software running. Useful software, software I like, software I can afford to run all at the same time. That's the beauty of having a quad-core CPU, a good SATA-6Gbps SSD and plenty of RAM. It's all fast and snappy.
    • Memory usage was high because I only had 4GB at the time of that screenshot and Minecraft was running in the background. Which is completely irrelevant to Steam's memory usage. Tested and verified.
    • You might be "afraid" to fully utilize your computer but that doesn't signify others are too. RAM is cheap and is meant to be used. Not to mention the fact that Windows 7 likes to put RAM to good use. A fact that everyone knows, except you apparently?
    • A process using different amounts of memory on different computers is "user error"? Sure it is. But please, carry on with your argumentum ad hominem.

If you think anyone was "shot down" by your shoddy arguments and personal attacks then you are sorely mistaken.

Now I am done with you.

I can't bear to look... :eek: . That was a brutal shooting down.... :).

Bowhuntr11 yeah, I have been playing a good bit more BC2 (I never really stopped though) in anticipation of BF3 :D. Really looking forward to it!

So....the game looks good guys...

Can't wait to play...Anybody else been playing BC2 more lately because of this game?

After playing the Alpha I played a solid week of BC2.

I hadn't really touched in for the previous 2 months.

Finally got my Gun Club code. Will I have to cancel my pre-order and redo it or do you think their support can help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back