Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

I'd rather hear of BF4 as well. And you're probably right, people put way more time into these games than I do. So they're probably close to finished with it. And it's definitely a console driven thing. Afterall, CS1.6 is still kicking out there.

The other persons comment about Frostbite 2 maturing in BF4 would be nice. Though there were rumours BF4 was being developed side by side with Frostbite 3. Which could be good or bad.

Yes. FB2 will look even better this time around.

The PC MP community lives long, years into the future. I still play Q3A in the form of Quake Live, 10+ years later. Consoles MP die in about 4-6 months.
That's why we see Map Packs, Microtransactions, extra cosmetic add-ons, yearly installments etc. to keep the community going, because the console gamer attention span is short.
Short attention spans make more money for MS and Sony though. Those people tend to buy more often and at higher prices. PC gamers hold onto to games too long, because we like to maximize our experience.

Sadly those extra's are carried over to PC, but something is better than nothing.

Add "[SFG] TURD FERGUSON NOOBS WELCOME MIXED MODE Name" to the list of bitch servers...

Just got banned from here after three rounds. I did pretty bad...around 1:1 KDR if that for the first two and then the uber pilot left and I went 25-0 before I was banned without anyone saying a single word...no bitching no nothing....just poof...

Plus side, I got the longest headshot I will probably ever get on Caspian Rush from the antenna to the Russian base, 1,066m! :D

Team working on expansions =/ team working on BF4 now. They are overlapping and I am ok with that as long as they bring good content.

I'd like to see the guys who designed the Aftermath maps working on BF4. Those maps are pretty good, arguably the best in the game.

The Aftermath maps are quite good; I have to say I think the AK maps are pretty good as well. Visually at least, they are by far my favorite.

I'm sick of them sucking money for each stupid DLC. $50 for the game when it came out, now another $50 for the "premium"

It was the same back in BF2.. I foolishly bought "Euroforce"... No servers ever ran those maps, waste of time.

I like the BF series but at the same time, they can suck it.

I think Premium, on sale, is a pretty good deal. Quite a few new maps and game modes.

Agreed, the population or ratio of players playing the new DLC's is far greater than anything BF2 saw with anything past Special Forces. It's gonna take a damn long time before DICE decides to give the DLC's away like they did for BF2. and BF2142.

I would definitely catch it on a deal if you still play the base game.

Had they merely modernized BF2 with a new engine and maps it would've been panned as too slow, too boring, too tactical/strategic and ultimately a failure by most present day metrics. It sucks but its reality.

Yeah, but that would be soooo much better than BF3.

BF3 should have been a modernized BF2, more guns/customizations, awesome graphics, some modern "warfare tools", and that's it. And they should have had one DLC be "WWII map with modern tools" DLC.

4 Classes for BF3 I thought was fucking full retard to start with. You can't have a class with both the n00b t00b AND the defibrilator, that just doesns't make any sense.

Yeah, but that would be soooo much better than BF3.

BF3 should have been a modernized BF2, more guns/customizations, awesome graphics, some modern "warfare tools", and that's it. And they should have had one DLC be "WWII map with modern tools" DLC.

4 Classes for BF3 I thought was fucking full retard to start with. You can't have a class with both the n00b t00b AND the defibrilator, that just doesns't make any sense.

The noob tube blows everywhere except for metro so..

The only thing really missing is mortar strikes for recon, IMO. Having 2 classes completely unable to deal with armor really sucks, and support's C4 is very limited anyway. It would also make the class 10x more useful to the team instead of half of them getting 1-2 kills a map while they sit in the bushes 1000m away.

The only thing really missing is mortar strikes for recon, IMO. Having 2 classes completely unable to deal with armor really sucks, and support's C4 is very limited anyway. It would also make the class 10x more useful to the team instead of half of them getting 1-2 kills a map while they sit in the bushes 1000m away.

I disagree with this. You want a class that can sit on the outside of the map and kill both infantry AND armor? Doesn't sound imbalanced at all.

What's the best GPU setup for 144 Hz (or 120 Hz) gaming @ 1080p?

I'm talking minimum framerate above 100, or ideally 120, not average which most reviews are reporting.

In-game graphic settings are not an issue: low or medium is good enough for me if I can get away with single card like Asus or Gigabyte GTX 670.

If not, what else? 660ti SLI?
Please advise.

been 8 months since I played this game. I popped in and I still kick ass.....with the exception I can't fly. It seems in the 8 months I have been gone people have been able to become gods in jets Flying up too high to shoot then diving down killing anything and everything below them repeat.

dude was 42 - 0 in his jet before I FINALLY convinced my team to help me shoot that bitch down with rockets.....because its impossible to do by yourself and still hard to do with 2 people....but 3 does the trick.

Normally I'd just ignore jets because they'd rarely kill me like once or twice a game and were relatively pointless as they can't grab flags.... but not anymore they can magically spot out any and all infantry even the sneaky hidden or in buildings ones. In just a few minutes I was 5 - 12 having 10 of them been from jets

But they get my props. I have no clue how they can fly like that all I can manage is to crash....Need to take a bf3 jet and chopper class.

I disagree with this. You want a class that can sit on the outside of the map and kill both infantry AND armor? Doesn't sound imbalanced at all.

They weren't imbalanced in BC2 at all. You just need a proper delay in how often you can call in mortar strikes. Also, a single mortar strike shouldn't kill armor, unless perhaps they're stupid enough to just sit there through the entire strike.

I'm talking minimum framerate above 100, or ideally 120, not average which most reviews are reporting.

In-game graphic settings are not an issue: low or medium is good enough for me if I can get away with single card like Asus or Gigabyte GTX 670.

Please advise.

GTX680.

I have a 580 and I can't hit over 100fps 100% of the time at 1080p on mine, but the 144hz screen does make a huge difference. BTW this is at low settings minus the adjustments for depth of field and FOV.

Please advise.

If you want MINIMUM framerate above 100, you'll absolutely need SLI/Xfire, and even then I don't know if that is feasible with any kind of decent quality settings.

Please advise.

If you want MINIMUM framerate above 100, you'll absolutely need SLI/Xfire, and even then I don't know if that is feasible with any kind of decent quality settings.

I'm going to do a test on my 7970 and see what I can get. I think it will get pretty damn close to 100fps. Even then what do you need 100fps+ all the time for? Anything over 60fps is just icing on the cake. With 1080 on max settings I'd say I probably get over 120fps constant, but with 120hz that would change. I honestly don't even really notice a difference between 60 and 100+ fps.

I would suggest sli/xfire for safety sake, and forward planning.

There is a difference that I notice when I dip in the 50-70 range. Above 80fps, it runs well but if you can keep it above 100fps it is butter smooth.

I run a 670 gtx at a mild oc and with a 4.4 2500k. I can run fine with a mix of high tex, medium shadows, medium mesh, effects and high terrain w/ no fxaa, msaa or ssao, hbao. I just use sweetfx smaa injector and the game looks, sweet. Running 1080p on a 120 hz lcd I don't peg it at 100fps but it stays north of 80 and bounces bw it and 120 with adaptive vysnc and triple buffering.

In other words, a 7970 is the fastest for the money but even a stock 670 or 7950 can handle the game fine if you run reduced settings.

I'm going to do a test on my 7970 and see what I can get. I think it will get pretty damn close to 100fps. Even then what do you need 100fps+ all the time for?

Tnx. I 'need' 100+ fps just to try out that new Lighboost everyone is talking about, but if I can't get that performance with a single Nvidia card, maybe a 'normal' 120 Hz mode with 7970 is ok, too.

OK, I'll rephrese that. What would give me the best min frame rate @ 1080p low settings.
Numbers of fps are much appreciated.

1) GTX 670
2) 7970
3) 660ti SLI

All 3 cost about the same here.

7970 all day long. That is the fastest single card and will give you the smoothest game play. Sli works well but nothing is as good as a fast single card.

So a year and a half after release, BF3 continues to be buggy and unstable as hell... I just had a great round in CQ, unlocked two assignments and got a couple different unlocks for different rifles, and then BF3 crashed to desktop and I ended up not being credited for anything that I accomplished in that round. Mother. F***ers. Does anybody else have this problem?

So a year and a half after release, BF3 continues to be buggy and unstable as hell... I just had a great round in CQ, unlocked two assignments and got a couple different unlocks for different rifles, and then BF3 crashed to desktop and I ended up not being credited for anything that I accomplished in that round. Mother. F***ers. Does anybody else have this problem?

Occasionally. I was promoted with a service star once, finished the round, quit the game. Next time I log in, no service star.

Your stats should update once the game you were in finishes. If the stats don't update at all, it's because the server crashed. Sometimes butthurt scum admins will purposely reset their servers if they're getting smashed in-game, thus not allowing anybody's stats to be updated or any unlocks to be awarded.

Eh keep in mind all game activity (kills, deaths, everything else) is streamed from the BF3 server to DICE's backend in realtime, so you do not lose everything just because client crashed. Example you leveled up during the round then game crashed. You're obviously still leveled up.

Dude comes up in here tryin' to serve up some stale ass hater-aide and we be like, "We ain't got no time for that, get on back where ya came from."

Oh heh well that's good to know about the stats. I am a little bit of a stat whore sometimes. But seriously, does anybody else have instability issues? I generally don't make it through more than 2 or 3 rounds before I get a CTD with a "Game Disconnected: Something went wrong" or "Your connection to the server has failed" or other BS like that. If nobody else is having problems then I know the problem is on my end.

Edit: And is it just me or is the M417 just a terrible all-around weapon? This coming from a fan of the M39 EMR... I just unlocked the 417 tonight and I feel like it has a ton of recoil and horrible accuracy compared to the M39. Just me?

Last edited:
lately there have been some issues with stability

but overall no

its been too long since used the 417

I almost always run bolts

That is a hardware or pebcak issue. I've not had any crashes or freezes in over 500 hours of play.

I'm in a similar boat, I never really have any stability/crashing issues, unless of course I get too greedy with my CPU overclock. Just had a nice 107-19 metro game, but sometimes I miss my early days as a jet pilot. Cant wait for end game and air superiority, that looks so amazing!

Just had a nice 107-19 metro game, but sometimes I miss my early days as a jet pilot. Cant wait for end game and air superiority, that looks so amazing!

I'll get that early-days nostalgia about Attack Heli's from time to time, so much fun piloting in terms of the crisis management and prioritization especially these days where you've got a map full of stingermonkeys and two jets + enemy heli in the air + MAA + every .50 cal and tank main barrel firing up at the big slow thing in the sky.

On the rare occasion I parachute out instead of go down with the ship I will marvel at the obscene amount of AA fire coming up from everywhere and realize noobs and intermediates have no shot if they're only just picking up Heli's, its brutal but the challenge is fun. Fly too high and you're jet food, too low and you're tank and RPG shrapnel. There really is nowhere to hide except "keep moving". I see some pilots "adapt" by pussycamping over uncap and spamming TV's and gunner rounds with 3x zoom - boring as hell and won't help you get better.

I've always been lukewarm on jets and barely proficient but recently been putting hours in and gone from losing 8/10 dogfights to 1/10. Practicing speed control on low pop servers is key (keeping it 315). Had #2 jet pilot as wingman for few hours last night and learned from his flight patterns considerably . last round went 79-10, I can see why Battlelog forum whiners hate jets so much, it just feels cheap and dirty. A buddy who was #1 in jet kills for a span of a few months last year (before utterly and irreversibly burning out) once remarked "You can be everywhere" and that pretty much sums up jets.

Last edited:
That is a hardware or pebcak issue. I've not had any crashes or freezes in over 500 hours of play.

Ugh. Apparently it's a fairly widespread problem (Battlelog forums, other gaming forums, etc). It really ruins the fun of the game when you get a CTD every third round. :eek:

On the rare occasion I parachute out instead of go down with the ship I will marvel at the obscene amount of AA fire coming up from everywhere and realize noobs and intermediates have no shot if they're only just picking up Heli's, its brutal but the challenge is fun.

Practicing speed control on low pop servers is key (keeping it 315). Had #2 jet pilot as wingman for few hours last night and learned from his flight patterns considerably . last round went 79-10, I can see why Battlelog forum whiners hate jets so much, it just feels cheap and dirty. A buddy who was #1 in jet kills for a span of a few months last year (before utterly and irreversibly burning out) once remarked "You can be everywhere" and that pretty much sums up jets.

I despise ejectors...especially after a long battle to outmanuever the other guy and then he bails before you get the kill, ESPECIALLY if its over a no infantry zone!!!

I find 305-307 being a pretty good sweet spot in my opinion for speed...just sucks the throttle isn't gradient fine so I could set the throttle at level flight and be at that 315...or maybe its just my jstick.

I definately agree on the everywhere statement, especially once your able to aim with the cannon really well, picking off infantry is incredbly entertaining....though on the other end its infuriating.

I definately agree on the everywhere statement, especially once your able to aim with the cannon really well, picking off infantry is incredbly entertaining....though on the other end its infuriating.

Fucking jets. :)

It remains rather annoying that there is no way to deal with enemy jets unless you have equally decent jet pilots on your side. Or maybe the mobile AA. But that's it. Nothing else can take them down.

I despise ejectors...especially after a long battle to outmanuever the other guy and then he bails before you get the kill, ESPECIALLY if its over a no infantry zone!!!

Agreed. I was referring the rare occasion of ejecting from attack heli. Jet bailers can be annoying but if its a long dogfight against someone skilled then the disable is its own reward since they're done.

Fucking jets. :)

It remains rather annoying that there is no way to deal with enemy jets unless you have equally decent jet pilots on your side. Or maybe the mobile AA. But that's it. Nothing else can take them down.

Thats the only reason I finally picked up jets, was getting annoyed enough times by them. The ability to jump in and deal with one of those guys now is empowering, since they really can tip the scale of a round if left unchecked. Problem is its a hell of a learning curve - by far the most difficult in the game - specifically dogfighting where so much is based on 'feel' and repetition and practice and you only get that with many hours. The people that do nothing but jets with hundreds of flight hours and tens of thousands of kills, i'll agree they can be annoying.

But can't agree with mobile AA or another jet being only way to deal with enemy jets. Even two engi's with stingers working together can keep a decent no-fly zone around them against MOST jet pilots - he can flare/ECM out of one, out-turn the second if he's lucky, but he'll run out of luck by the followup shot from the Engi that fired the first if he's still loitering in the zone. A decent heli crew with a good gunner can also add to the harassment against most jet pilots.

Last edited:
Back