Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

I finally got the 5 SQDM wins. What a pain in the ass. I'm trying to get 50 suppression assists now and it is taking forever. Is the MG36 worth the effort? I'm trying for the new unlocks while still playing for objectives.

Going to leave a note regarding my undying hatred of Squad DM here.

Edit: Just got 7 kills on a 5 kill DM server, only to... lose the round, what the?

Just had a 9000+ point round (which for me is a lot, there are times I'm lucky to break 2000 a round) and lost it all due to the game crashing...

I'm starting to get pissed off...

Also, UH-1Y VENOM with 2 engineers in the back is neigh invincible. Hit it with 4 SA-18 IGLA hits and it kept flying like it was nothing.

Try SOFLAM+javalin. :p easy 3 kills.

How is the G3? I heard it had a small magazine, so I haven't bothered to get the final bit of co-op points to unlock it.

It's a MOD 0 that goes full auto. If you've ever used the MOD0 and wished you aren't limited to single fire when going through tight areas, this is for you. Put in an M145 scope on it, and a sniper will feel right at home, with the added benefit of full auto and med packs. Mine even has a bipod and can go full auto when guarding bridges and roads.

I've also used it from the roofs of firestorm and you can do short bursts with relatively good accuracy from a standing position on anyone in the container area. I'm a recon guy, and i've only started using the assault class more because of the G3.

Does the Engineer have a marksman rifle equivalent as well?

Last edited:
Going to leave a note regarding my undying hatred of Squad DM here.

Edit: Just got 7 kills on a 5 kill DM server, only to... lose the round, what the?
If someone revived them after you killed them then you get to keep the kill for your personal score, but it doesn't count towards your team/squad score.

How is the G3? I heard it had a small magazine, so I haven't bothered to get the final bit of co-op points to unlock it.

I like it. It feels similar to the SCAR...20 round mag, slower ROF than other rifles but pretty accurate.

Just got this game after a video card upgrade and it's so damn awesome! Played it on a lower end card and was not enjoying the game at all.

I don't think im wasting the time with soflam anymore. I target tanks and helps almost the whole round and no one javs them. Tired of sitting around not getting any kills or points, just waiting to get ambushed because envies wont do their damn jobs.

I don't think im wasting the time with soflam anymore. I target tanks and helps almost the whole round and no one javs them. Tired of sitting around not getting any kills or points, just waiting to get ambushed because envies wont do their damn jobs.

Funny, I've been trying to use the guided shells but no one on my team ever deploys the SOFLAM.

What is the best assault rifle and how do I unlock it?
I like the AK-74m. The AEK and FAMAS are pretty neat too, but the reload time on the AEK is super long. I just got the AN-94 so I can't comment on that one just yet, I'll try it out tonight.

How the SIG rifle from coop?
Coop crashes like a mofo for me, wondering if its worth it over the standard rifles?

I had an awesome round on Wake the other day. I was on the RU team and we had around three recons using soflam. Myself and three to four people were engineers with javelin and there was one support in my squad resupplying a couple of us. Needless to say, no vehicles lasted for very long. In the end I had around three helicopter and two tank kills. We ended up losing the round but it was worth it to see that kind of teamwork.

Funny, I've been trying to use the guided shells but no one on my team ever deploys the SOFLAM.

Too cumbersome to use, it need better range and easier controls

I had an awesome round on Wake the other day. I was on the RU team and we had around three recons using soflam. Myself and three to four people were engineers with javelin and there was one support in my squad resupplying a couple of us. Needless to say, no vehicles lasted for very long. In the end I had around three helicopter and two tank kills. We ended up losing the round but it was worth it to see that kind of teamwork.

That makes sense, you need more than one recon to be able to consistently lay down soflams.

What is the best assault rifle and how do I unlock it?

There is no best gun. All the guns have some pros and cons, and it will come down more to personal preference at the end. For instance player A who has a more steady aim might like a high RPM gun and use the higher RPM to put more rounds out mitigating the higher weapon spread, but player B might find they can control a lower RPM gun better and have better snap aiming, preferring a tighter spread so shots hit more consistently.

Also keep in mind the weapon differences actually are not that big aside from some outliers.

If you are strictly asking about assault rifles, there is allegedly a slant towards the M16A3 among higher end players. I haven't verified this info, just what I have read.

How the SIG rifle from coop?
Coop crashes like a mofo for me, wondering if its worth it over the standard rifles?

The SIG is a carbine not an assault rifle. Compared to the M4 it has lower recoil on the first shot. Otherwise it has worse spread, recoil, reload time, fire rate, muzzle velocity.

The problem is the reward system. Even if people are using laser designated weapons consistently try SOFLAMing, you barely get any points at all and no kills. For instance you laser a chopper, you get 10 points + 50 points (sometimes, inconsistent), while the guy shooting the javelin gets 350 points (maybe more, not sure if they get a double kill bonus) and 2 kills... Guess which role most people would rather have?

That makes sense, you need more than one recon to be able to consistently lay down soflams.

The BtK maps are actually better designed for the SOFLAM it seems. One SOFLAM is able to cover much more area, and there are more good locations to place them compared to vanilla maps.

Saying it now, SOFLAM+Javeline is overpowered. You get just a few guys that know what they are doing and they can lock down the opposing teams entire vehicle fleet, land and air. Lame.

Saying it now, SOFLAM+Javeline is overpowered. You get just a few guys that know what they are doing and they can lock down the opposing teams entire vehicle fleet, land and air. Lame.

teamwork is overpowered when the majority of the playerbase is retarded

This. What Vega is describing just sounds like a very well-executed gameplan; there's nothing stopping the other team from doing the same thing and forcing the conflict into infantry vs infantry.

I agree to a point. Its only a combination that works if everything is in sync.

I played firestorm earlier tonight and we had a bunch of people trying to get the slflam/jav working. I think we had 3 soflams, 3 javs + ammo support.
But its all about the soflam, we couldnt do shit because the enemy attack heli and transport heli would cut our soflams down the instant they went up. The laser on the soflam is the brightest thing in the world.

When it works, it can be overpowered...but it encourages teamwork to win. The alternative is aircraft with countermeasures that render them near invincible.

teamwork is overpowered when the majority of the playerbase is retarded
Seriously. Most servers that I join have at least 5 people not in a squad, usually more. I was ecstatic to join one earlier where EVERYONE was in a squad (all 8 squads filled with 4 each), felt pretty nice. Squadding up definitely makes a difference.

You shouldn't be able to take out a complete aspect of the game though, which is what is happening. Also something is not very well balanced in terms of game options if the only reasonable response is to use the exact same tactic.

What they should do is make it so MAVs can more easily pick out SOFLAM, and make the equipment jamming function a passive ability. So you can counter SOFLAMs by flying a MAV near them and even hiding one nearby (without being actively controlled). This can also be combined with making them 1 hit kills to sniper rifles regardless of range (not sure if they are now).

This is type of balancing is better from a game play perspective, since everything has counters, and the game becomes more about how each side is reacting the opposing sides strategy and so the game is more dynamic. As opposed to both parties just mirroring each other. This was exactly why air, more specifically jets, where grossly imbalanced in BF2, since the only viable counter was the exact same vehicle.

The only complaint that I have is the "Q key". I tried to change it for holding my breath, but everytime it's the chat phrases that always pops up. No matter if I change the phrase key it won't change.

You shouldn't be able to take out a complete aspect of the game though, which is what is happening. Also something is not very well balanced in terms of game options if the only reasonable response is to use the exact same tactic.

What they should do is make it so MAVs can more easily pick out SOFLAM, and make the equipment jamming function a passive ability. So you can counter SOFLAMs by flying a MAV near them and even hiding one nearby (without being actively controlled). This can also be combined with making them 1 hit kills to sniper rifles regardless of range (not sure if they are now).

This is type of balancing is better from a game play perspective, since everything has counters, and the game becomes more about how each side is reacting the opposing sides strategy and so the game is more dynamic. As opposed to both parties just mirroring each other. This was exactly why air, more specifically jets, where grossly imbalanced in BF2, since the only viable counter was the exact same vehicle.

What is stopping infantry from taking out SOFLAM/Javelin squads? Could a jet or a fast chopper get the job done?

I also got the AEK-971 yesterday. Everything is fine about that gun but the stupid reload. Made me lose a couple of lives. I always found getting owned by AEK-971 players and was thinking maybe it is best assault. Guess the reload time totally kills it :p.

Famas? How do I get it? Also think the F2000 or something is what people use quite a lot and it seems to have lowest recoil.

P.S. I still do not know how to change rifle fire rate. Pressed Z a few times but nothing happens. Is it limited to some assault rifles? :bleh:

I also got the AEK-971 yesterday. Everything is fine about that gun but the stupid reload. Made me lose a couple of lives. I always found getting owned by AEK-971 players and was thinking maybe it is best assault. Guess the reload time totally kills it :p.

Switch to your pistol to finish people off - far better than reloading and giving them the opportunity to either flee or return the favour.

Switch to your pistol to finish people off - far better than reloading and giving them the opportunity to either flee or return the favour.

I use the G18 to make sure I am able to finish someone off up close. Been a couple times when I got 2 or 3 guys in a row with the G18.

What is stopping infantry from taking out SOFLAM/Javelin squads? Could a jet or a fast chopper get the job done?

First some things to mention about this the combo. The SOFLAM is very difficult to pick out, as it is an extremely small device, unless it is facing you. The other method is if you know some typical spots the spot can sometimes pick out (this is unreliable). The javelin users, nor does the recon deploying the SOFLAM, need to anywhere near the SOFLAM or each other, this means they can spread out extremely far apart. Javelin users are not really practically distinguishable, so specifically targeting them is basically a non starter.

SOFLAM's currently can be placed in areas that are extremely difficult, or sometimes not accessible at all by infantry. Javelin's combined with SOFLAM's can lock without line of sight, meaning completely behind cover. Even if you have a stacked team and control the map, you can still have people encamped with SOFLAM's and Javelin's in the deployments, which can range and cover quite a bit of the active combat areas depending on the map. Also as mentioned they do not need to be next to each other, so you cannot just clear them out.

Air units versus it is slightly more complex to illustrate. First against the chopper, the Javelin will 1 hit kill it and not miss, nor can be countered via flares, it is also attacks downwards meaning you'd need an extremely elite pilot and favorable circumstances to block the shot via the terrain. So what are the choppers options? If the SOFLAM does get picked out, TV missile or somehow sneaking up on it can take it out. But keep in mind the recon is free to instantly redeploy, possibly at a completely new location, losing nothing from that exchange.

Against jets you have the same spotting issue. If is picked out then a jet can reasonably take the SOFLAM out. But there is also the danger if placement is next to AA emplacements, also ground attacks make you extremely easy targets against opposing jets. The redeployment issue also again crops up here. Taking out a SOFLAM basically again is basically no real loss.

This video sums up why BF3 will never be a great game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgLd2w3uuHU

There are just too many bad design decisions that they are unwilling or incapable of changing. That video is just but one taste of the many large issues BF3 has.

You could just say don't play Metro? But it is not about playing Metro. It is about such a design feature someone had to dream up and then have it approved by the dev team to be implemented. Any dev team that implements such non-sense is not destined to have a truly great game.

First some things to mention about this the combo. The SOFLAM is very difficult to pick out, as it is an extremely small device, unless it is facing you. The other method is if you know some typical spots the spot can sometimes pick out (this is unreliable). The javelin users, nor does the recon deploying the SOFLAM, need to anywhere near the SOFLAM or each other, this means they can spread out extremely far apart. Javelin users are not really practically distinguishable, so specifically targeting them is basically a non starter.

SOFLAM's currently can be placed in areas that are extremely difficult, or sometimes not accessible at all by infantry. Javelin's combined with SOFLAM's can lock without line of sight, meaning completely behind cover. Even if you have a stacked team and control the map, you can still have people encamped with SOFLAM's and Javelin's in the deployments, which can range and cover quite a bit of the active combat areas depending on the map. Also as mentioned they do not need to be next to each other, so you cannot just clear them out.

Air units versus it is slightly more complex to illustrate. First against the chopper, the Javelin will 1 hit kill it and not miss, nor can be countered via flares, it is also attacks downwards meaning you'd need an extremely elite pilot and favorable circumstances to block the shot via the terrain. So what are the choppers options? If the SOFLAM does get picked out, TV missile or somehow sneaking up on it can take it out. But keep in mind the recon is free to instantly redeploy, possibly at a completely new location, losing nothing from that exchange.

Against jets you have the same spotting issue. If is picked out then a jet can reasonably take the SOFLAM out. But there is also the danger if placement is next to AA emplacements, also ground attacks make you extremely easy targets against opposing jets. The redeployment issue also again crops up here. Taking out a SOFLAM basically again is basically no real loss.

When you put it like that, yes it does seem rather overpowering.

When you put it like that, yes it does seem rather overpowering.

The saving grace at the moment is laser designating is rather underutilized in pub servers at the moment due to the inherent lack of team work :p

But I remember earlier on when people were saying things like the SOFLAM, Javelins, guided shells and etc. weren't really special, I was of the mindset that once people start using these combos you'll see why that is not true.

Famas? How do I get it? Also think the F2000 or something is what people use quite a lot and it seems to have lowest recoil.

P.S. I still do not know how to change rifle fire rate. Pressed Z a few times but nothing happens. Is it limited to some assault rifles? :bleh:

The Famas is an unlock that comes with the Back to Karkand expansion. Absolutely terrible iron sights but an awesome rifle.

Default fire mode change is "v"

F2000 does not have the lowest recoil, it has one of the higher recoils and weapon spreads. The AEK actually has lower spread, and lower vertical recoil but higher recoil to the right.

The AEK also reloads faster than the FAMAS and roughly the same as the F2000 (only slightly slower if completely empty).

I would say the F2000 isn't that good at the moment comparatively, they overnerfed it, which is why it is getting buffed again.

This video sums up why BF3 will never be a great game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgLd2w3uuHU

There are just too many bad design decisions that they are unwilling or incapable of changing. That video is just but one taste of the many large issues BF3 has.

You could just say don't play Metro? But it is not about playing Metro. It is about such a design feature someone had to dream up and then have it approved by the dev team to be implemented. Any dev team that implements such non-sense is not destined to have a truly great game.

I assume the MAV is one of those things that thought would be fun in a "cheeky" way to put in, at least they removed the ability to plant C4 on it...

Back