Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

I think a combination of those things would be good. Basically they just need to make it less crazy. Right now it's too good for most players to not use it.

I'd personally not shed one tear if they removed it entirely, but I doubt that will happen. Supposedly if you wear the "spec ops" camo it makes you less visible on IR, but then again I think that is like a Rank 43 unlock...

G36C and PSK Holo all the way! Almost forgot the G18C suppressed.

With veteran camo, its all good on grass until I fire and give my location away :cool:

I think a combination of those things would be good. Basically they just need to make it less crazy. Right now it's too good for most players to not use it.

I'd personally not shed one tear if they removed it entirely, but I doubt that will happen. Supposedly if you wear the "spec ops" camo it makes you less visible on IR, but then again I think that is like a Rank 43 unlock...

i have it so ill have to check on that

Is there 1st person spec in Arma2? That's the one reason I'm playing MW3 over BF3 right now even though MW3 sucks.

Is there 1st person spec in Arma2? That's the one reason I'm playing MW3 over BF3 right now even though MW3 sucks.

What do you mean "1st person spec"?

I can answer pretty much any questions you have about ArmA2 (in PM if you prefer since this is a BF3 thread)

You know that "innovative" feature introduced 10 years ago in FPS games that BF3 doesn't have that greatly greatly helps you determine if someone is cheating.

Not knowing if someone got lucky, is skilled, is skilled and lucky, or is flat out cheating, makes a game largely unplayable to me. Partly why I mostly stick to vehicles in BF3 since cheats aren't as useful with projectiles. I've never felt like someone in a vehicle cheated me (especially when I am in another vehicle).

Last edited:
Well about 90% of players in ArmA2 play co-op, so cheating is not much of an issue.

You know that "innovative" feature introduced 10 years ago in FPS games that BF3 doesn't have that greatly greatly helps you determine if someone is cheating.

Not knowing if someone got lucky, is skilled, is skilled and lucky, or is flat out cheating, makes a game largely unplayable to me. Partly why I mostly stick to vehicles in BF3 since cheats aren't as useful with projectiles. I've never felt like someone in a vehicle cheated me (especially when I am in another vehicle).

You know, I bet if you stopped worrying so much about what others are doing would enjoy the game much more.

That's pretty hard to do in a multiplayer game bro.

Not really, based on this thread seems to me you're the only one here that's so concerned with watching others' games than actually playing yourself.

I guess that's why everybody is complaining about everyone they are playing against using the IRNV scope amirite?

On that note the more hours you put into the game the better you are at recognizing the shapes/models so the less you need to depend on the IRNV.

I guess that's why everybody is complaining about everyone they are playing against using the IRNV scope amirite?

Well it's easy to see when every time you get killed the person is using one, lol.

On that note the more hours you put into the game the better you are at recognizing the shapes/models so the less you need to depend on the IRNV.

But nobody else wants 1st person spectator mode for the sole purpose of watching others play to prove cheating.

Besides, IRNV is not cheating, it's part of the game that gives an advantage. You're looking for specific instances of people cheating.

It's pretty easy to tell if someone is cheating. Ridiculous K/D (like 50-1), headshots with an MG from across the map, etc.

Everything you just said is true except maybe the nobody else part. I want it. I have trouble playing like a moron in order to enjoy a game.

It's pretty easy to tell if someone is cheating. Ridiculous K/D (like 50-1), headshots with an MG from across the map, etc.

Wrong. Not everybody blatantly cheats. And blatant cheaters that are just point powering to get high on the leaderboards or something have KDs of around 10 it seems (run in, shoot til they die, repeat). And with the number of blatant cheaters I have ran into so far in BF3 it makes me wonder how many people are cheating surreptitiously. Not having any way to watch them is damn annoying. And sometimes I just want to see how something happened, I don't necessarily think someone cheats just because they got a lucky hs but I would like to see how it happened.

When you can record and watch an entire round that let's you see things and improve your game/strategy. Without that it's like playing a glorified version of bumper cars, just drive around derping people. Well not exactly but you get my point.

Last edited:
IMO the simplest way to fix the scores so people put in more effort to doing the support stuff is to give them their points from the ribbons on the spot instead of waiting until after the map finishes. The game will also get noticeably better once all the Rambos leave for MW3 where that style of play is rewarded.

winning is all that matters in a team game, so they needed to build the maps and vehicles and weapons and objectives and game types and scoring such that winning=reward and losing=notsomuch. instead they have done what you see there. compared to bf 1942, bf3 is just reward after reward for doing stuff that is not winning.

so whether you like all this grinding/arcade/slot-machine/cha-ching bullshit or not, you have to admit that it is incentivizing things that are not winning. sometimes there are indirect incentives, yes. sometimes a kill actually does help you keep that flag that helped you win. but the only direct reward for winning is a reward for winning.

in this new generation of pinball-games the relative reward for success is lower because there are increased rewards for everything else under the sun. thus good gameplay has been disincentivized.

winning is all that matters in a team game, so they needed to build the maps and vehicles and weapons and objectives and game types and scoring such that winning=reward and losing=notsomuch. instead they have done what you see there. compared to bf 1942, bf3 is just reward after reward for doing stuff that is not winning.

so whether you like all this grinding/arcade/slot-machine/cha-ching bullshit or not, you have to admit that it is incentivizing things that are not winning. sometimes there are indirect incentives, yes. sometimes a kill actually does help you keep that flag that helped you win. but the only direct reward for winning is a reward for winning.

in this new generation of pinball-games the relative reward for success is lower because there are increased rewards for everything else under the sun. thus good gameplay has been disincentivized.

You mean base raping with the scout helicopter on kharg island to level it up super fast should be disincentivized? Awww. :cool:

It's pretty funny how easily the scout helicopter can wreck the attack helicopters close range. Really wish I had remembered to press my record key during some of those rounds, damnit.

Like their thinking is, oh he is in the crap copter I'll just keep trying to get him in the uber copter.... 5 deaths later they realize what a bad choice that was.

Eventually you drop your teammates onto all of their vehicles and go to town until the enemy team finally drags their mobile AA all the way back to behind their spawn. Which slowly ends the shenanigans unless you have a good attack copter pilot or two.

Btw this is now becoming called the James Bond strategy because of how the scout copters take the slow and scenic route to the enemy air strip (and they are slow moving copters compared to the attack copters).

Last edited:
So after all my hating on BF3 in this thread I still have to say BF3 > MW3. MW3 is MW2 with shitty maps...

the game is the map. the map is the game. so since the MW games are all roughly the same except for the maps, I hope COD players know the best maps and are playing the game with those.

I know which bf maps are the best, and I intend to continue playing them. we'll see how the bf3 remakes stand up. at least DICE has a clue about this. they are wisely trying to keep the specials on the menu.

Everything you just said is true except maybe the nobody else part. I want it. I have trouble playing like a moron in order to enjoy a game.

Simple solution to that problem is just go play a different game. Seriously, why do you keep playing (and posting about it) if it is so terrible and you hate playing it? MW3 just released, maybe you'd find that more to your liking.

I hate using it but frankly without it you just get raped in a forest/grassy setting.

DICE made a slew of bad design choices with BF3. You could delete that stupid IRNV and mortars from the game and the only ones who would complain are the people that suck at FPS.

They are HUGE crutches...

4 disconnects in a row on different servers, this use to rarely happen to me wtf

christ I wish dice would just forget making there own engines and use udk

Simple solution to that problem is just go play a different game. Seriously, why do you keep playing (and posting about it) if it is so terrible and you hate playing it? MW3 just released, maybe you'd find that more to your liking.

I get his frustration, I really do.

This isn't really what I expected in a Battlefield game neither but Karkhand comes out soon and Skyrim even sooner.

DICE made a slew of bad design choices with BF3. You could delete that stupid IRNV and mortars from the game and the only ones who would complain are the people that suck at FPS.

Something has to be done about the IRNV (which I don't really use). The mortar on the other hand is fucking awesome IMHO. It's the perfect tool to root out campers and it's easily countered.

Something has to be done about the IRNV (which I don't really use). The mortar on the other hand is fucking awesome IMHO. It's the perfect tool to root out campers and it's easily countered.

I don't mind mortars on FF servers because you rarely see them- they can't just spam it without regard.

Agreed. I used the IRNV for a short time and it only hampered my abilities. I started to rely on it, which affected my score, visibility and mobility.
You can become a prisoner of it, prone/standing and scanning the map for easy pickens when you should be attacking.
I switched back to the PKS Hold and my score doubled.

Throw away the crutch, you'll play a lot better.

IRNV is getting nerfed according to Twitter. I do wish mortars were more limited on ammo, because I really hate having to completely change class just to kill one asshole that spams them from his main spawn.

I really wish there was spawn protection at the home base. I can understand not having it at the flag points but home base should be like a safe zone, no killing from or in it.

I was just in a match where my team all left and I was left fighting against 3 people. one dude then decided it was fun and cool to spawn camp me at my home base while blowing up all the vehicles too. So much fun that is. I don't understand how anyone can think that is fun. How can it even be fun for the person doing it? Seriously.

Spectator mode is useless for determining if someone is cheating, it is however useful for giving away your enemy's position....which is why I'm glad its not in the game .if I kill you and you cant find me..to bad for you....that's more kills for me when you come looking

I just tried to update BF3 through orgin and it said it was up to date. Then I ran the repair tool and up downloaded a 15 meg patch, server update?

IRNV is getting nerfed according to Twitter. I do wish mortars were more limited on ammo, because I really hate having to completely change class just to kill one asshole that spams them from his main spawn.

Hardly care at this point. Just need about 20 something more kills on the starter LMGs for both US and Arabs and I'm done with all the support class, that was the only class I found them useful for.

MAV + Spot (when it works) = tons of ribbons when your team can actually hit the broad side of a barn. Weeeee!

The IRNV and flashlights have to go, or at least be toned down. I cant help but think everyone who spams the flashlight in daylight is a no skill newb.

Being blinded by a flashlight in the day time is idiotic. So is using night vision in the day time. Its not even close to being realistic.

Back