Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

I tried it again last night, and it just feels like it doesn't do any damage. I hit a guy three times with it at about 75 yards (on Bazaar) and off he ran just fine (and that wasn't the only time). Feels like a semi-auto only gun should hit hard enough at that range to put a guy down.

yeah that can happen. But you have to look at it this way you hit the guy 3 times, other guns might not of hit him at all. I didn't like the SKS at first either but once I got used to it using other guns became very difficult. I normally don't kill 1 shot with it either usually 2 or 3 but getting 2 or 3 hits in with that gun is just so easy.

I've found the SKS using iron sites works better than trying to snipe with it. All of my SKS kills (which isn't much) have been with iron sites playing front line recon
Yup majority of my 313 kills are with just iron sights. Usually just 2 hits drops a target. I just recently started using the M145 (3.4x) scope on it. That scope is amazing on everything.
They must have done something because last night I was ....having the "herky jerky" out the ass and getting hit way behind objects like like everyone else. I thought it might just be lag.
Same thing was happening to me. Id be running from someone spraying at me on Kharg Island, jumped between a group of shipping containers and still got killed despite the enemies line of sight was no where close to where I was dead. I had already turned the corner at least a full second ago.

Something is up...

I had someone kill me last night BEFORE their bullet was fired. Was vs. some sniper, we were both facing each other (about 100m), then all of a sudden I'm just dead, quarter second later the bullet appears and hits my dead body. I've NEVER had that happen in the hundred hours I've spent playing the game.

I've used SOFLAM so many times, nobody ever uses the Javelin, even when I message my team.

if only we had voice chat..

i've had great sucess with soflam and javelin, but only if i'm playing with my friends and we're voice chatting

Last edited:
Does anyone have a problem with items/polygons touching each other flicking and artifacting? Happens when I look down a scope. For example, if I scope and look far ahead, the place between rocks and the ground will be flickering and going "static"-y....

oh there it is. Like magic. It wasn't showing up all day for me. I post here and *poof* its there.

I've used SOFLAM so many times, nobody ever uses the Javelin, even when I message my team.

I've used the citv station on the tank even more often since I can get to the front line safely and just focus on locking. And I rarely see javelin going in the air.

Pretty cool in wake Island tho, we had three soflam so we had overlapping coverage and there was always someone sending up a javelin. The amtrack had no chance.

Only 3 more unlocks left for tanks...hopefully I'll have the CITV by the end of this weekend :)

Only 3 more unlocks left for tanks...hopefully I'll have the CITV by the end of this weekend :)

Unlocking that CITV was counter intuitive. In order to unlock it, you have to focus on the tank, which typically means you're a designated tank driver. But then, when you do unlock it, you can't actually use it because you're the only good driver on the team :eek:

And the ones that do focus on intel, the recons, will take forever to get the CITV (if ever!) because they are pretty much pure infantry :mad: Heck, our designated driver took weeks to unlock the CITV, and even then, he couldn't use it because he specialized in hit and run attacks.

The only way i even got it was because i simply entered an empty map and started driving around capping flags. I'm not interested in anything else, i'm a recon, i don't do vehicles, all i wanted was the CITV (The proximity sensor was pretty handy tho).

Ironic that the CITV is the last unlock, yet actually has little to do with how skilled you are with a tank.

Try coordinating like this. Have the passenger take Proximity and Guided Shells. Simply swap seats when certain situations come up, most notably a helicopter.

Try coordinating like this. Have the passenger take Proximity and Guided Shells. Simply swap seats when certain situations come up, most notably a helicopter.

I think only the driver can take guided shells. Or at least whatever he has takes precedence. Otherwise how would the game reconcile the driver having canister and the gunner having guided?

We did that and it didn't work. I had the guided shells before i started going for CITV, and our tank driver took the third seat. Unfortunately, since i'm not a designated driver, i'm nowhere as good as he is in dodging helicopters and navigating terrain, so we often end up dead.

A designated driver is a step above a regular one. He can angle his tank to hit air targets, hit long range enemies on the first shot, use the terrain to break up his silhouette, and most importantly, he can get anywhere in the map much faster than the rest of us. Even with everyone in tanks going full throttle, he can leave the rest of us in the dust.

BTW, turns out a tank with three guys is pretty invincible, especially in urban areas like Oman. I've got a proximity sensor (it works even in the third seat) and the gunner was keeping our sides and rear clear while the driver blew away everything in front of him. And when damaged, i'm the only one that steps out to repair while the gunner and driver continue shooting.

I know that the proximity sensor stacks, but i wonder which of the other perks stacks as well. Maybe the repair or the autoloader? Driver=Autoloader, Gunner=Repair, CITV=Proximity?

I think only the driver can take guided shells. Or at least whatever he has takes precedence. Otherwise how would the game reconcile the driver having canister and the gunner having guided?

By this I mean the driver would swap over to CITV and the passenger then swaps over to driver just to use laser+ guided shells. Afterwards you swap back.

This is useful for certain situations, such as helicopters as you can more reliably hit one this way.

We did that and it didn't work. I had the guided shells before i started going for CITV, and our tank driver took the third seat. Unfortunately, since i'm not a designated driver, i'm nowhere as good as he is in dodging helicopters and navigating terrain, so we often end up dead.

A designated driver is a step above a regular one. He can angle his tank to hit air targets, hit long range enemies on the first shot, use the terrain to break up his silhouette, and most importantly, he can get anywhere in the map much faster than the rest of us. Even with everyone in tanks going full throttle, he can leave the rest of us in the dust.

BTW, turns out a tank with three guys is pretty invincible, especially in urban areas like Oman. I've got a proximity sensor (it works even in the third seat) and the gunner was keeping our sides and rear clear while the driver blew away everything in front of him. And when damaged, i'm the only one that steps out to repair while the gunner and driver continue shooting.

I know that the proximity sensor stacks, but i wonder which of the other perks stacks as well. Maybe the repair or the autoloader? Driver=Autoloader, Gunner=Repair, CITV=Proximity?

As far as I know only proximity works as the passenger. CITV also grants proximity but only when the CITV user is zoomed.

This probably works better in theory than practice, but I assume if you had reactive armor as the passenger you could swap with the driver to absorb a hit and then back. Of course something like this would be extremely difficult to coordinate.

Regarding the guided shell swapping suggestion, I think you could make use of it in certain circumstances with some practice. As soon as you laser and fire, you swap back basically. If anything this basically would be a very strong deterrent platform against choppers if you only did this for chopper sniping.

Having people in dedicated roles is always better. I'm always the gunner, and I'm always in the CITV as well. The only time that changes is when necessary; Sometimes I'll need to drive the tank for one reason or another, usually a stolen tank, and sometimes there will be a helicopter attacking us from too high of an angle for guided shell to lock-on to so I have my driver swap to CITV while I wait for him to lock and then hop out and jav the helicopter.

No idea about what vehicle perks work from the gunner/CITV seats though, it would be great to find out.

I had someone kill me last night BEFORE their bullet was fired. Was vs. some sniper, we were both facing each other (about 100m), then all of a sudden I'm just dead, quarter second later the bullet appears and hits my dead body. I've NEVER had that happen in the hundred hours I've spent playing the game.

happened to me about an hour ago.... thought it was lag... weird. not sniper though, was support... i too have just barely crossed the 100 hr mark and never seen this.

It's too bad the CITV doesn't stay locked on when you leave the seat like the SOFLAM does - be nice to be able to self-lase by swapping back and forth.

Gotten my first MAV kills recently. It's fun. Don't worry, I'm not gonna be one of those guys with 30 billion MAV kills, but it's a fun diversion on the city maps. In my head I'm saying "boop!" every time I get someone with one. :D

Gotten my first MAV kills recently. It's fun. Don't worry, I'm not gonna be one of those guys with 30 billion MAV kills, but it's a fun diversion on the city maps. In my head I'm saying "boop!" every time I get someone with one. :D

You can trigger enemy claymores with the MAV's EMP gun. If you manage to get an enemy killed by his own claymore, it gets counted as a kill. I have four MAV kills and i have never roadkilled anyone.

Just tried experimenting with a clanmate. Pilot has the laser lock, gunner has the guided missile. Just point the nose at the other heli and once it locks, flares no longer work and it'll take him out in one hit. Jets were outrunning it tho so we couldn't test with that.

Just tried experimenting with a clanmate. Pilot has the laser lock, gunner has the guided missile. Just point the nose at the other heli and once it locks, flares no longer work and it'll take him out in one hit. Jets were outrunning it tho so we couldn't test with that.

Interesting I tried that, do you get an audible lock on tone if you are the pilot with lase equipped?

Any recommendation on using Jihad Jeeps with C4? What are the best maps for them? What are the best tactics?

Yesterday I played in Caspian and Oman , and , I think, out of 10 time I managed to destroy enemy tanks 3 times. Not bad and hilarious when it succeed but a bit boring when it is not.

Interesting I tried that, do you get an audible lock on tone if you are the pilot with lase equipped?

It works pretty much the same way as the CITV on the tank.

I'd really like to try this on an actual battle. It's basically a soflam and a javeline joined at the hip with unlimited ammo that can go anywhere.

Any recommendation on using Jihad Jeeps with C4? What are the best maps for them? What are the best tactics?

Yesterday I played in Caspian and Oman , and , I think, out of 10 time I managed to destroy enemy tanks 3 times. Not bad and hilarious when it succeed but a bit boring when it is not.

I only have just over 100 C4 kills, but almost all are vehicle kills.
I play caspian 90% of the time, and I find the best way is to load up with atleast 5 bricks of C4 and stay near(but not too close) to a tank. When your tank starts engaging an enemy tank, thats when you move in.
A tank will always fight another tank first, so if you just go wide, you should be ignored in favor of the more dangerous target and give you a good opportunity to jihad strike from the side or rear.
Smoking/repairing tanks are also good targets.

Just watching the map, or driving wide and watching for firefights.
I race in and circle the gas station if its under enemy control. If your team is attacking, there are common buildings where infantry hide in, such as gas station building right behind where the tank spawns...often racing your jeep into that building can result in a kill.
Just racing around and looking for sniper glint works too....but some areas are always kill zones. The hilltop for example, when under enemy control is easy because you can just race your jeep up, bail out, jump off the side and detonate...
The problem with C4 on your vehicle is that if its shot, it detonates, so running headon towards a tank, or even infantry can be very fatal, thats where flanking wide, especially on infantry, works well because they think your just another driver racing past to another objective...when really your circling around...This works well for the rock formations between the antenna and the checkpoint.

It also helps to have help. Me and 2 friends all on VOIP will each take a jihad jeep and rush one area...Having 3 jeeps loaded with C4 converging on an area or target at speed is not only extremely effective, but insanely entertaining.

C4 kills are awesome. I was caping the gas station and the enemy heli was buzzing the area, so I went on the roof of one of the garages, planted 6 C4 bricks and waited for him to make his pass above only to blow him outta the sky.

C4 also lasts 20-30 seconds after you die, so if you in a heavy firefight, dropping c4 before you die and detonating on respawn can get kills aswell.
My team was getting baseraped last night, so I took my jet and low ejected myself in the enemy base, planted C4 on both of their jets, died and detonated on respawn as they both just went airborn....hilarity ensues.

Detectable walls are helpful, as in a firefight, especially at the gas station, strafing the outer wall as the enemy is on the other side planting C4 as you go....when they come for you, you can detonate and kill anything on the other side of the wall.

I love C4

Last edited:
I love people who ride around with C4 strapped to them. A well placed shottie frag, canister shell or M320 really rack up the points.

100-200pts. for the kill(s)
100pts. for the disable
50pts. for the destroy
5-6x 20pts. for destroying explosives
2-3 200pt. ribbons for destroying enemy explosives

Thanks.

What about the SVD and VSS? Those were used a lot.

Those were more compact assault sniper weapons than long range sniper.
The SVD was used a lot but there were many more headshot with it after being disciplined before by the bolt action snipers.
The first weapon the sniper class gets in BF3 is semi-auto, which encourages bad habits from the start.

This is why when people don't hit Q it infuriates me to no end.
That's why the Spot Scope in BC2 helped a lot. But many snipers stare at targets without spotting now.
BF3 to me is the better game, but the Sniper class in BC2 had more impact on the battlefield i.e. C4.

Last edited:
I love people who ride around with C4 strapped to them. A well placed shottie frag, canister shell or M320 really rack up the points.

Unless something has changed, it's been my experience that when you shoot c4 to blow it up, it's destroyed but doesn't explode and do it's own damage. When trying out the Jihad Jeep tactic myself, there were a few times where my jeep was hit with a tank shell before it makes it close enough for me to trigger, and while the tank shell disabled the jeep, the c4 was destroyed without actually blowing up because I myself didn't die immediately, and I've also tried to set it off after bailing and nothing happened. Seems to just disappear.

Unless something has changed, it's been my experience that when you shoot c4 to blow it up, it's destroyed but doesn't explode and do it's own damage. When trying out the Jihad Jeep tactic myself, there were a few times where my jeep was hit with a tank shell before it makes it close enough for me to trigger, and while the tank shell disabled the jeep, the c4 was destroyed without actually blowing up because I myself didn't die immediately, and I've also tried to set it off after bailing and nothing happened. Seems to just disappear.

One first time i tried that in BF3. I set the C4 in front of an amtrack with the intention of detonating it the moment the driver rams it against the enemy. It got intercepted by a tank. You can guess what happened after only one shot.

One first time i tried that in BF3. I set the C4 in front of an amtrack with the intention of detonating it the moment the driver rams it against the enemy. It got intercepted by a tank. You can guess what happened after only one shot.

Placing it on walls, rocks, trees or other vertical surfaces can make it harder to spot.
For example, on caspian, its common for me to camp the RU base as they drive vehicles down, but its easy for tanks to spot my mines or C4 on the ground....but put a bunch on a tree along the road and despite not dealing as much direct damage, its often still enough to disable a tank enough for the driver to get out...and eat USAS12 frags.

Hiding explosives in water, on debris or other objects works much better then laying it in the open in the middle of the road...That being said, it all depends where....you place explosives in the middle of the road in a high threat area and tanks are often looking for aircraft or other tanks instead of looking at the ground. But on roads where there is little regular threat, tanks take more time to look for explosives.

Another thing to do is drop a pile of C4 and toss a ammo crate ontop...people will stop to destroy C4 or mines, but often run right past ammo crates.

Placing it on walls, rocks, trees or other vertical surfaces can make it harder to spot.
For example, on caspian, its common for me to camp the RU base as they drive vehicles down, but its easy for tanks to spot my mines or C4 on the ground....but put a bunch on a tree along the road and despite not dealing as much direct damage, its often still enough to disable a tank enough for the driver to get out...and eat USAS12 frags.

Hiding explosives in water, on debris or other objects works much better then laying it in the open in the middle of the road...That being said, it all depends where....you place explosives in the middle of the road in a high threat area and tanks are often looking for aircraft or other tanks instead of looking at the ground. But on roads where there is little regular threat, tanks take more time to look for explosives.

Actually, i was referring to using the amtrack as an explosive tipped battering ram:p

Another thing to do is drop a pile of C4 and toss a ammo crate ontop...people will stop to destroy C4 or mines, but often run right past ammo crates.

I think i've seen that done with claymores, haven't thought it was intentional. Gonna have to try that

What's the condition to get an enemy claymore icon to appear on your map? Sometimes i see it, sometimes i don't. Does it have to be spotted? Or does simply looking at the general direction expose it?

I only have just over 100 C4 kills, but almost all are vehicle kills.
I play caspian 90% of the time, and I find the best way is to load up with atleast 5 bricks of C4 and stay near(but not too close) to a tank. When your tank starts engaging an enemy tank, thats when you move in.
A tank will always fight another tank first, so if you just go wide, you should be ignored in favor of the more dangerous target and give you a good opportunity to jihad strike from the side or rear.
Smoking/repairing tanks are also good targets.

See, that's why I always prioirtize jeeps and basically never get blown up like that. A jeep is FAR more potentially dangerous than a tank is, because a tank isnt' going to take you out in one shot.

My best C4 kill ever is *easily* when I killed someone by throwing C4 off the top of the tower on Caspian. Really I was just trying to see how far I could throw it, doing jump throws right on the edge. After I had thrown it all out I knew there was some fighting going on down below, so I detonated and got a kill. In chat the guy just said "Haha, you deserved that one."

It works pretty much the same way as the CITV on the tank.

I'd really like to try this on an actual battle. It's basically a soflam and a javeline joined at the hip with unlimited ammo that can go anywhere.

I'm up for testing, I have everything unlocked for viper and havoc. I have used guided before ,but that is when I had recons put up SOFLAM. I'm curious if lasing a target is dependent on which firing mode you're in as a pilot (normal rockets opposed to heatsinkers when trying to get a lock on. Obviously you can't use guided rockets since it shares the same slot as laser painter.

So I haven't touched Recon yet but figure I should. What's the best gun to use if I don't want to snipe and want to play more of an assault role?

I'm level 24 so my options are DAO-12, UMP-45, 870MCS and I suppose the SKS. Haven't touched any of the general guns yet so I don't have any fancy shotgun rounds unlocked.

So I haven't touched Recon yet but figure I should. What's the best gun to use if I don't want to snipe and want to play more of an assault role?

I'm level 24 so my options are DAO-12, UMP-45, 870MCS and I suppose the SKS. Haven't touched any of the general guns yet so I don't have any fancy shotgun rounds unlocked.

Why not just play another class? You aren't obligated to play the Recon class. All three other classes are far more effective with PDWs and Shotguns in my eyes. Let alone their class specific weapons are typically superior.

I'm rank 60 something and still only have 2%-3% progression to my first Recon star. You don't need to play a certain class if you don't want to. :p

I leveled my recon up with the UMP really fast. one of my favorite guns in the game.

Why not just play another class? You aren't obligated to play the Recon class. All three other classes are far more effective with PDWs and Shotguns in my eyes. Let alone their class specific weapons are typically superior.

I'm rank 60 something and still only have 2%-3% progression to my first Recon star. You don't need to play a certain class if you don't want to. :p

I just mainly wanted to unlock the SOFLAM as the guy I play with plays Engineer a bunch and it seems no one on our team ever puts one up. Kind of a situational thing, Support will always be my bread and butter.

Back