Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

I've found a partial fix for those of us getting black screen in BF3 and limited crossfire GPU usage. I say partial because you cannot run full resolution, but still a decent eyefinity resolution and have all GPUs working. All 4 of my GPUs are working now.

Steps:

C:\Users\your user name\Documents\Battlefield 3\settings
PROF_SAVE_profile > open in wordpad
Edit to read: GstRender.FullscreenEnabled 0
Edit to read: GstRender.FullscreenScreen 1
Save and set file as read only
Start BF3, should start in windowed mode
Go to options > video > change undefined monitor number to "1"
Adjust screen resolution to a resolution LOWER than your default Eyefinity resolution (The one that works for me is 2760x1600) [default is 3308x1920]
Select full screen
Hit apply
BF3 should now be in full-screen eyefinity (albeit a lower resolution) and all crossfire GPUs should be working

Falling through the world and mortar game, err I mean BF3 is now working very smooth! I get over 120FPS in portrait Eyefinity and no micro-stutter nor rubber-banding. I am using driver 11.12 (8.92 new preview).

Although it does look a bit uglier running at non-native resolution of course, the performance and game-play is there for Eyefinity until they get their shit straight and fix this.

This took me about 20-hours of trial and error so I hope it can work for some of you out there... Maybe even some SLI guys can get similar results.

Well, in case anyone was wondering, the UMP-45 is still way overpowered.

Tragic. I've always liked the design of that gun and wanted to use it. So its either avoid it or feel like a dink using it. Then maybe deal with the overnerf :p

The dev's don't seem to think so.

Found via the GAF

Alan Kerts, Battlefield 3′s Gameplay Designer, reveals that “pistols will be getting a bit of love in the near future.” A slight improvement in the damage department for pistols is certainly welcome. After nerfing the UMP since the beta, Kerts admitted ”it [UMP] got the nerf bat pretty hard. Gave it back some power today. I’ll be playing to monitor balance.” The UMP is unlocked at level 16 and can be used on all kits.

This is in regards to the upcoming patch.

If it is, at least the general populace doesn't seem to know. Back in beta you'd run into entire servers using it exclusively. Now you're lucky if you run into an engineer wielding it.

Bug or feature? I may be wrong but the real Javelin cannot tarket Anti-Air in anyway.

SOFLAM paints the target with a laser and the Javelin can lock onto it. As far as I know, the rocket cannot be shaken off by flares because it is chasing a laser not a heat signature. Pretty good if you ask me.

That's really shitty. Hopefully people will get tired of it.

The dev's don't seem to think so.

Yeah...before the game was released (but after beta) they said the UMP was "only a little overpowered"...I can't believe they are increasing the power even more... :rolleyes:

I haven't gotten the UMP in MP, but if it's anything like SP I would say the reason it's overpowered is that there's virtually no recoil and it does a lot of damage, even at distance. Plus for a SMG it's really accurate.

That's really shitty. Hopefully people will get tired of it.

Yeah...before the game was released (but after beta) they said the UMP was "only a little overpowered"...I can't believe they are increasing the power even more... :rolleyes:

ok, so you're complaining about a weapon you haven't even used.

I have it, it's weaksauce compared to beta. SMG's as a whole are weak despite their hip accuracy, the damage doesn't make up for it, even up close where they should shine. Cool you can plug 6 bullets into a guy while running... or just get 1 bursted by any other weapon.

ok, so you're complaining about a weapon you haven't even used.

I have it, it's weaksauce compared to beta. SMG's as a whole are weak despite their hip accuracy, the damage doesn't make up for it, even up close where they should shine. Cool you can plug 6 bullets into a guy while running... or just get 1 bursted by any other weapon.

I don't know, I have been very successful with the M4A1. Maybe you just need to aim better? I will agree that other guns kill faster, although I have no issues with SMGs.

Theres no way in hell the Ump is over powered.. I get rocked by people with scars, even when i get the first shot on them.

Theres no way in hell the Ump is over powered.. I get rocked by people with scars, even when i get the first shot on them.

The Scar is nothing special. It is just average, a bit worse than assault rifles.

You need someone else to laser a target before you can even use the Guided Shell. It's useless on it's own.

edit: and the smoke perk directly counters it.

It's not really ridiculous but keep pushing your agenda there buddy.

Not really, long range sucks on it. It just has a slow rate of fire so it feels like it's OP.

I racked up 1000kills with UMP-45 in beta and in the full release I can tell it def has had it's damage lowered.

It's still a good gun, especialy on Metro in tunnels.

This setup FTW...

M416
red dot
foregrip
heavy barrol

m416.png

I don't know, I have been very successful with the M4A1. Maybe you just need to aim better? I will agree that other guns kill faster, although I have no issues with SMGs.

so the weapon you're successful with isn't an SMG

i have like 27% accuracy with the SMG over several hundred kills. basically no point when you can just use an assault rifle and kill someone in nearly any range with 1 burst, they just kill faster and are basically more flexible.

You need someone else to laser a target before you can even use the Guided Shell. It's useless on it's own.

edit: and the smoke perk directly counters it.

It's not really ridiculous but keep pushing your agenda there buddy.

No you can lock on by yourself.

Are you sure people weren't just really good with the lazing? I couldn't lock on by myself (believe me I tried many times) and was told by several people that you needed someone else to laze the target. Even the description sort of says that.

wow that is ridiculous...this is just another reason I just feel the whole game is dumbed down. Those who can play it the most and get the best equipment that makes them better but doesn't really make them more skilled.

The game also gives you points for shooting at enemies and not hitting them...

Guided Shells video is up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MjaD7mVmyo

These things suck!

Not worth it, IMO. Equipping the guided shell takes the place of your anti-infantry weapons (LMG/HMG/canister shell). I use the canister shell instead (1 shot jets and helos that get too close--plus awesome vs infantry).

No you can lock on by yourself.

You can, but, just so everybody reading the thread knows, you need line of sight. A painted target can be locked without LoS.

so the weapon you're successful with isn't an SMG

i have like 27% accuracy with the SMG over several hundred kills. basically no point when you can just use an assault rifle and kill someone in nearly any range with 1 burst, they just kill faster and are basically more flexible.

I got my hand on a UMP for a couple of seconds, what a joke gun. Still so easy to kill people with. Just because you can't go around raping everything in 2 shots now doesn't mean it is crap...

Not worth it, IMO. Equipping the guided shell takes the place of your anti-infantry weapons (LMG/HMG/canister shell). I use the canister shell instead (1 shot jets and helos that get too close--plus awesome vs infantry).

You can, but, just so everybody reading the thread knows, you need line of sight. A painted target can be locked without LoS.

I agree. I've had the guided tank shell for a while, and I found myself switching back to the standard turret every time.
It replaces the Coaxial turret which I use to rape runners that try to plant C4. I can do without the guided missile.

I just unlocked Thermal View. I'll take it for a test spin tomorrow.

I agree. I've had the guided tank shell for a while, and I found myself switching back to the standard turret every time.
It replaces the Coaxial turret which I use to rape runners that try to plant C4. I can do without the guided missile.

I just unlocked Thermal View. I'll take it for a test spin tomorrow.

Thermal view is insane....

I rocked Fast reload+thermal+canister shell all day... very nice setup.

Canister shell is amazing for choppers. 1 shot usually gets the pilot. I also like switching fast between main cannon and canister shells, makes is sound like I'm shooting 1 round per second lol. I tell myself it instills fear in my opponents :D

So is the UMP overpowered, underpowered, just fine?

I like design of the gun itself especially among the SMGs (not related to its actual characteristics in BF3, although I don't like how its burst only, I think? haven't used it in BF3 yet). But personally I'm not into using "flavor of the month" type weapons or if its completely underpowered.

i really really want them to let me access the damn menu even when im dead i dont want to alt f4 everytime to quit or change a graphic settings

The game gives you points for surpressing enemies, just shooting at then does not give points. Why dont you just go back to you mw3 w/ outdated graphics and leave the BF3 threads alone.

Thankfully it does, otherwise I think a lot of newbs would get sick of being raped repeatedly by rank 20+ people with crazy powerful weapons and addons.

One of the things I really like about BF3 is that you can get points without being a K/D whore. Supporting your team is also a valid strategy. You don't have to be an amazing shot to rank up and do well.

Man are these co-op only weapon unlocks for real? Looks like you average 10k points per mission if you beat it and the highest unlock requires 440k. Does DICE really expect us to grind the same six missions over 44 times to unlock some weapons?

Man are these co-op only weapon unlocks for real? Looks like you average 10k points per mission if you beat it and the highest unlock requires 440k. Does DICE really expect us to grind the same six missions over 44 times to unlock some weapons?

Yeah... I think that's ridiculous too. Maybe they have some DLC planned that will be out pretty soon.

Back