Battlefield 2042

None but you started asking me to present the numbers, if you don't know the numbers how should I know?
Because you’re the one who made the claim that everyone is preordering after the portal video. You’re the one who made the claim no one was preordering before the video and you’re even the one who made the claim that not only were they preordering, but they were specifically ordering the gold and ultimate versions.

To be clear, I know you don’t know anything. But you did make the claims so me as well as others are asking you to provide the data you’re basing those claims on. Make no mistake however, we all know you don’t know what you’re talking about.

This will significantly raise the number of preorders and players in Europe, EA knows how to attract players.

It's pretty transparent how you just want another Bad Company game and not an actual traditional battlefield game. Anything short of that you think somehow an entire continent with multiple cultures and preferences will side with your hilarious view of what this series of games is. It's amusing, keep it up.

Battlefield Portal seems interesting. A handful of maps from BF3/4, BC2 and BF5 are being remade as well as some weapons and vehicles from each era. I really doubt they'll give everything, especially with the limited number of maps. BF4 had 130 or so guns by itself. I assume BF5 guns can easily be ported over because the engine version is likely not that far out of date.

While I do like the options they're giving you, I was hoping for a more standard modern experience that could become a default. As cool as WWII vs future sounds I doubt many will populate such servers. I am hoping they add more vehicles/weapons from the modern theme games and it becomes a standard option for online play.

Battlefield Portal seems interesting. A handful of maps from BF3/4, BC2 and BF5 are being remade as well as some weapons and vehicles from each era. I really doubt they'll give everything, especially with the limited number of maps. BF4 had 130 or so guns by itself. I assume BF5 guns can easily be ported over because the engine version is likely not that far out of date.

While I do like the options they're giving you, I was hoping for a more standard modern experience that could become a default. As cool as WWII vs future sounds I doubt many will populate such servers. I am hoping they add more vehicles/weapons from the modern theme games and it becomes a standard option for online play.
Two different teams. DICE Sweden's focus is on 2042. Ripple Effect, formerly DICE LA, is focused on Portal.

If the combined efforts of the two teams really pull off everything they're advertising, we're looking at a sort of infinite Battlefield platform here that almost seems too good to be true. But I'm optimistic.

Maps, armies, weapons etc. will be added throughout the seasons. Its very safe to assume we will get full throwback servers of just 1942, BF3 etc. Add being able to modify weapon damage values, bullet speed, health and even abilities such as prone we could have very accurate representations.

It's pretty transparent how you just want another Bad Company game and not an actual traditional battlefield game. Anything short of that you think somehow an entire continent with multiple cultures and preferences will side with your hilarious view of what this series of games is. It's amusing, keep it up.
I don't want that, but the others in Europe want a bad company 3 game, it puts non-existent words on me, but it doesn't matter.

I don't want that, but the others in Europe want a bad company 3 game, it puts non-existent words on me, but it doesn't matter.
Link please already to these magical forums! As a dev, I'd love to have this kind of amazing insight.

Link please already to these magical forums! As a dev, I'd love to have this kind of amazing insight.
They want bad company 3 with bad company 2 maps and modern graphics, now they mostly got it, dice and ea went for it to satisfy everyone, everyone's taste. And now they have it all in BF 2042.

Battlefield Portal is one of those "Hell, it's about time" ideas for sure, and it brings back one of the things I used to love about PC multiplayer gaming: the freedom to create silly gametypes on a whim and have people join in with ease.

I'm admittedly surprised by some of the map picks, especially in that 1942 isn't represented with Wake Island, which used to be the franchise that one map before BF2 introduced Strike at Karkand, and speaking of which, Strike at Karkand itself (which made a comeback in BF3 as prominent pre-order incentive DLC). You all know what I mean by that one map: CTF-Face/Facing Worlds, de_dust(2), Katabatic, Blood Gulch, Nuketown, basically any FPS map that gets a weirdly disproportionate amount of 24/7 servers and a substantial fraction of the player base.

Perhaps that's because I still don't foresee them bringing naval combat back to 2042; it was one of the big features of 1942 (especially on Midway) and largely neglected in every game since, unless 2142's Titan airships and the BF1 loose equivalents sorta count. BF2's implementation of Wake Island has a fixed carrier like its stock maps, much like 1942's Coral Sea.

Also speaking of maps, one of the core things about Refractor-era Battlefield (1942, Vietnam, BF2, 2142) is that the vehicles had to be on the map at every spawn point; nobody spawns inside of the seats by default, unless it's a squad leader spawn in BF2/2142. This changed drastically around BF3/BF4 and continued into BF1 to the point that several vehicles are only attainable by spawning in with them, and it screws with the map design because if you eject and lose your ride, your only way back in is suicide (and that's assuming there aren't limited vehicle slots like in BF1). You can't just go forth and hijack whatever's nearest, especially if you want an aircraft. (Presumably, this was to avoid teamkilling over aircraft...)

I want to know how Portal mode will treat this - if you can edit not just which vehicles spawn, but where on the maps beyond a global all/none/only-this-type filter like Halo traditionally offers.

I would be amazed if you were even alive during the XP days, much less if you were old enough to use a computer.
You're easily amazed.

It's ok bud. It wasn't personal. Some people still don't know how to configure a computer so they don't have to close out of everything before launching a game in order to retain good performance. Apologies for hurting your feelings by saying you have 4GB of RAM

You're easily amazed.

It's ok bud. It wasn't personal. Some people still don't know how to configure a computer so they don't have to close out of everything before launching a game in order to retain good performance. Apologies for hurting your feelings by saying you have 4GB of RAM

Sarcasm is my specialty.

My entire point has been that companies are purposely adding extra layers when they don't need to. Just because your truck can haul 12,000 lbs does not mean you should be driving around with a maxed out weight 24/7 just because it's able to. It's extra wear and tear, it degrades lifespans faster, and it's not needed. Just because we have 1TB drives now does not mean a game that could have an install size of 30GB, should be shipped as a 200GB installation, because now everyone thinks like that and we're running out of hard drive space again. And lastly, just because you can cheap out on building a web based server browsers instead of integrating it into the game, doesn't mean you should.

Game is $46 at CDkeys. I know it is a pre-order, but prices tend to go up before release. Battlefield Portal made me grab it personally.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
Bought the gold edition from GMG for $76 just now. I was happy with just 2042 but with Portal the longetivity just went through the roof. I can't want to play full on throwback servers of older titles. This is the first game I've been excited about in a LONG time.

base game was $50.99 on GMG.

Last edited:
Bought the gold edition from GMG for $76 just now. I was happy with just 2042 but with Portal the longetivity just went through the roof. I can't want to play full on throwback servers of older titles. This is the first game I've been excited about in a LONG time.

base game was $50.99 on GMG.
Basically BC2 and 1942 are remastered. It's worth the price of entry.
Can't wait to play 24/7 Valparaiso Rush with BC2 rules on the 2042 engine.

I spoke with Europe today. They have no idea who this guy is. They said they are excited for 2042 with or without Portal. They don’t think Bad Company is a true BF game.
My first BF games was BC2, then BF3 came out and I understood why people said BF3 was the real game.
Even DICE still doesn't know why people like BC2. It's was a fun game (mode). Arcade like gameplay that you didn't have to be super skilled to enjoy.

BC2 WarTapes using the original AD700s was something to behold.
If you've haven't experienced this, please do.

Last edited:
Basically BC2 and 1942 are remastered. It's worth the price of entry.
Can't wait to play 24/7 Valparaiso Rush with BC2 rules on the 2042 engine.

Yup I even like how servers can control things like ability to prone which would give a true BC2 experience with it disabled.

Not sure if I'll plan vacation around this one. Usually people go to vacation to a different country but I just look up the latest steam release. The 3 days into my 9 days off I don't feel like gaming at all after the first few days.

Not sure if I'll plan vacation around this one. Usually people go to vacation to a different country but I just look up the latest steam release. The 3 days into my 9 days off I don't feel like gaming at all after the first few days.

Game releases on a Friday I believe with early access being exactly a week before. I might do early release day off but saving PTO right now. I've got to pick up a new vehicle a couple states away and want that week off to get a few things done to it whenever the damn thing gets built.

I'm going to pre order on cdkeys. if it drops in price by much I'll just refund and order again. their refund policy says you can refund before or after release. just don't activate the key. whats weird is they have a english only version thats more money than the global version.

$48 on greenmangaming, a non grey vendor, for the standard edition.

Never had any issues with CDkeys before. My understanding is they are legit. Are they really gray market?

I'm going to pre order on cdkeys. if it drops in price by much I'll just refund and order again. their refund policy says you can refund before or after release. just don't activate the key. whats weird is they have a english only version thats more money than the global version.

Just keep in mind for GMG and CD keys, it seems like once a beta code is released that will void your refund ability. For an open beta it shouldn't be a problem but if they do a second closed beta for pre-orders keep that in mind.

Never had any issues with CDkeys before. My understanding is they are legit. Are they really gray market?

Just keep in mind for GMG and CD keys, it seems like once a beta code is released that will void your refund ability. For an open beta it shouldn't be a problem but if they do a second closed beta for pre-orders keep that in mind.
on CDkeys, I don't know if we'll be getting pre order content, their website says: "

Q. Pre-order bonus content?

A. Any pre-order bonus or additional content is only included if this is mentioned in the product description on our website."

product description mentions nothing about pre-order content. this might be why the price is low. I don't care about the content, its not worth more than a dollar to me.

Last edited:
on CDkeys, I don't know if we'll be getting pre order content, their website says: "

Q. Pre-order bonus content?

A. Any pre-order bonus or additional content is only included if this is mentioned in the product description on our website."

product description mentions nothing about pre-order content. this might be why the price is low. I don't care about the content, its not worth more than a dollar to me.

I had this dilemma when I pre-ordered Ace Combat 7. Went with GMG because it came with pre-order stuff, but cost $2-3 more. When the game was within 2 days of release CD keys updated their website, and pre-order stuff was included. So we may actually get the pre-order stuff. I suppose there is no guarantee though.

I also got the World Wide version. Not sure why to bother with the English version for $2 more.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
Unless something changed recently, EA games on Steam simply start up the Origin Client with a linked account. You will still need original installed and running to play this game.
Yep. Origin is still required. Buying through Steam just gives that monopoly a 30 percent cut :(.

Yep. Origin is still required. Buying through Steam just gives that monopoly a 30 percent cut :(.
FWIW, their revenue sharing agreement isn't 30%, and I'd be surprised if it was any more than 10. And the calculation EA made was leveraging Steam's market size means exponentially more revenue than selling through Origin alone. If EA games on Steam leads to hundreds of thousands of additional copies, then the 90% they're keeping on those additional copies is 100% more than without Steam - meaning millions or tens of millions in additional revenue.

That said, I could've sworn Origin wasn't actually required for many of the EA games they brought over recently in the transition to Steam. Regardless, BF2042 I don't even care what launchers I need to install, it's going to transcend everything.

Last edited:
Back