BATTLEFIELD 1

tough to garner much info from the trailer. looks fun. graphics look good. gampeplay will probably be typical BF gameplay. i'm sure i'll play the shit out of it.

Fancy reveal trailer but I'm not holding my breath until I see more actual gameplay.

Fancy trailer for a game that's going to have the same dice mechanics they haven't switched in a long time.

Horses??? yay! Now all them emo gay My Little Phony mofos fans will get a boner over this game

Fancy trailer for a game that's going to have the same dice mechanics they haven't switched in a long time.
Exactly. Bf4 was exactly the same. The video they showed doesn't look that much different.... they should have been more creative and shook things up. Looks like they didn't lean in enough with the setting too

A WW1 Battlefield is what a majority of BF fans have been wanting & now we got it! More than happy about that. Already covered the other eras :).

If it plays anything like bf3/4 i have zero interest in it. Even cod has changed things up more then battlefield has.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Experience the dawn of all-out war in Battlefield 1. Fight your way through epic battles ranging from tight urban combat in a besieged French city to the heavily defended mountain forts in the Italian Alps or frantic combats in the deserts of Arabia. Discover a new world at war through an adventure-filled campaign, or join in epic multiplayer battles with up to 64 players, and adapt your tactics to the earth-shattering environments and destruction. Fight as infantry or take control of amazing vehicles on land, air and sea, from the tanks and bikes on the ground, to biplanes and gigantic battleships, and adapt your gameplay to the most dynamic battles in Battlefield history

I'm definitely excited for this game.

Man that trailer is awesome looking. Obviously all CG stuff but the look of the setting is amazing. Be interesting to see where they take it.

I'll pass more than likely. Rising Storm 2 Vietnam better be good. I recently tried Armored Warfare and the core gameplay is too basic and the MMO grinding aspect kills it for me. And it is still a beta. I'll try it some more as I may have to revert to it for tank gameplay assuming BF4 dies.

With luck next year a new BF will be out.

Just like every other Battlefield game, I'm sure your avatar will be superhuman and fling around LMG's like they were nothing.

Also, if this alternate history, The browning assault rifle (BAR) came out in 1917 and saw limited use in WWI. 30 caliber man portable machine guns came out in later parts of WWI like the M1917 and then the later air cooled variant M1919 in 1919. The French Chauchat and Hotchkiss M1909's were popular LMG's also after 1916.

When I say "man-portable" that was relative. Usually one guy would carry the gun while the other carried the tripod. They rarely fired them on the move like a soldier could with an M249 SAW today. That being said, by the time the M1919 came out the US Marine Corps did eventually create a special front carry handle for them so the Marines could sweep out trenches and bunkers when they invaded Pacific Islands in WWII. This being an alternate history WWI, it's entirely possible.

BAR = Browning Automatic Rifle. Its a class of weapons between LMGs and rifles. Different role from your typical rifle. Essentially think of it as the M249 of WWII. Those other things were essentially placed weapons. Firing from the move was almost impossible and impractical. I know they conveniently get around this by going the "alternative timeline" route, so I expect to see everyone with a BAR.

Even in WWII most countries used bolt actions. Only notable exceptions being the US and Soviets. And Germany in the last year or so. Germans hardly issued any SMGs save for squad leaders and infantrymen typically used captured Soviet SMGs and semi autos as they had none of their own.

I find it strange they would take a series known for it's expansive maps and vertical scale and place it in a trench.

looking forward to it, but I'm afraid it's going to be like BC2 Vietnam DLC, BC2 is still popular with lots of active servers, Vietnam is the same game but is nearly dead.

I find it strange they would take a series known for it's expansive maps and vertical scale and place it in a trench.

I found it interesting that the flying scene was in a canyon. It's like "yo, I heard you like trench warfare, so we put a trench in your trench!"

I'm mildly interested. If it's more like BF1942 than BF3/4 then I'd probably give it a go.

Cant wait to see all the kids cry because there isnt a scope on every gun "omg wtf is this shit? Iron sights!?!?!?!" im glad they are going back to the early wars and WW1 is going to be a hell of a lot fun. Just a gritty back to basics war game.

So I'm guessing no dedicated server files or community mod support as usual because hey, who wants that right?

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
Count me in for a copy. The first aircraft carriers, subs, planes, tanks, chemical warfare... and no laser targeted missiles, 32 times magnified scopes....

Makes me nostalgic for BF1942 and all the fun I had playing that on my P4 and ti4200 as a freshman in college when it released!

That trailer looked really good, the DICE guy said it was all in-engine, but I have a hard time believing those graphics. I was down on it when I first heard WWI, but now I'm getting a little hyped if it's going to look/play like that.

That trailer looked really good, the DICE guy said it was all in-engine, but I have a hard time believing those graphics. I was down on it when I first heard WWI, but now I'm getting a little hyped if it's going to look/play like that.
Well the battlefront trailer said the same thing and everyone doubted it and guess what it looked like it did in the trailer. I dont doubt that the game will at least look very close to the trailer, for sure on pc it will.

BAR = Browning Automatic Rifle. Its a class of weapons between LMGs and rifles. Different role from your typical rifle. Essentially think of it as the M249 of WWII. Those other things were essentially placed weapons. Firing from the move was almost impossible and impractical. I know they conveniently get around this by going the "alternative timeline" route, so I expect to see everyone with a BAR.
Sorry, I know it's browning automatic rifle. old habit. I'm fully aware of where it was categorized.

You have to remember, this is Battlefield, characters in this game always hurdled 5 foot fences with 100 pound packs on their backs while toting full LMG's. I also fully explained that they were "man-portable" but that was relative to having a second man carry the tripod for a fixed position.

By WWII, the WWI era M1919 machine gun was being fired as a spray and pray suppression weapon as the gunners advanced with the troops. Marine Corp medal of honor winner John Basilone was known for firing his watercooled M1919 from the hip at Guadalcanal and later rigging up a handle so he could do the same on the air cooled variant on Iwo Jima.

My point was, it's a game and DICE has been known to do these things for the sake of the game whether or not it was realistic or practical. If it's even remotely plausible (spraying a WWI MG from the hip was plausible but not practical), DICE will definitely turn it from plausible to usable game mechanic. I fully expect superhuman soldiers flinging around 30 pound Lewis machine guns while super man diving into trenches full of Germans.

The one thing I hope they change from BF3/4 is making the recoil on the MG's horrendous (unless it's mounted of course) If you're going to fire a non-mounted MG you better be in front of 20 guys, because you might hit 5 of them with 1 bullet each. :D

Unfortunately, I don't think that kind of recoil will happen. You can clearly see a trooper firing a non-mounted Lewis LMG at 28 seconds in and doing so quite accurately.

Last edited:
Other than some pretty graphics, that trailer revealed next to nothing about gameplay. Guess I'll have to wait and see some actual gameplay footage before making any decision.

this did NOT need its own event. what the fuck were they thinking?

Hone$tly I don't know what they were thinking. It'$ like $omeone in their marketing department $aid that $treaming a commercial to hundred$ of thou$ands of people would create $ome hype and potentially make them $ome money.

Well the battlefront trailer said the same thing and everyone doubted it and guess what it looked like it did in the trailer. I dont doubt that the game will at least look very close to the trailer, for sure on pc it will.

Well that's good news, guess I didn't pay much attention to that back then. Anyways, back to our regularly scheduled 1st world whine-fest.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Count me in for a copy. The first aircraft carriers, subs, planes, tanks, chemical warfare... and no laser targeted missiles, 32 times magnified scopes....

Makes me nostalgic for BF1942 and all the fun I had playing that on my P4 and ti4200 as a freshman in college when it released!

This this this this this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Going back to the OG BF1942 roots in WW I setting - they sound like they are doing what I have been screaming for for years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Battleships? Blimps? Massive Tanks that dont go 100mph and turn on a dime! Close in combat, destruction on epic scale......BI AND TRI PLANES!!!!!!!!!! Soooo stoked for a game that is more skill oriented than stupid cheese wheel BS level up for scopes and lasers and all kinds of crap!

All the COD kiddies can go back to that POS mouse wheel.

OG's with me in BF1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who remembers BF1942 BETA during Quakecon?!?!? This game looks like it could be as good!

Actually, World War I was pretty big and involved a lot more than trench warfare. I think they should be commended for taking such an unexpected approach and for recognizing the historical significance of the first war. The entire map of the middle east as we know it was drawn by World War I. See Lawrence of Arabia. The reason why people are not interested in World War I is because it has not been as exploited in war movies as much as World War II. But it makes for a pretty epic setting for a game, covering both Europe and the Middle East.

World War I is a modern war, with modern weapons. Artillery, tanks, automatic weapons, planes.

I would much prefer to fight a historical battle, and possibly learn or experience something of some historical significance, than a fictional one. I suggest everyone who is upset about this game setting stop for a moment and realize that DICE might be giving us something we didn't know we wanted.

It was a very adult and sophisticated decision on their part, and a risky one. I like it. I also think this will probably be a lot more like Battlefield 1942 than anything we have had since.

By the way, has anyone NOT seen Lawrence of Arabia? It is a bit old Hollywood but it is my favorite World War I movie by far and one of my favorite movies of all time.

Amen! Well said.

Watching the reveal now - it sounds like they are really taking BF franchise forward with this and the updated Frostbite engine.......more destructive, more game changing destruction, more teamwork etc.

Holy cow - the trailer is 100% captured IN ENGINE!!!!

Back