Batman: Arkham Knight

We sort of expected that to be the case from the start. The PC versions of the last three games were graphically superior to their console counterparts with higher quality visuals and PhysX support. This is the bar that was set for these games and this is what we had every reason to expect. WB simply fell well short of the goal here. As for expectations about fixes, I don't think those are unreasonable either. I don't think they forgot to add the visuals to the PC version. It seems more likely that something is broken in the game that's not giving us these visuals or has them disabled.

Even Metro Last Light was able to pull solid/stable mid to high 40's, with most of the settings cranked up on my 780. And visuals on that game was insanely, crazy good.

And in that game, when my fps dropped, i was happy. I was happy that Metro was giving a good workout to my graphics card, and it showed. The Russians did a magnificent job on the port. Something WB/RS even with a tremendous budget could never even accomplish.

When your fps drops in Arkham Knight, i just want to find the nearest baseball bat and go bat-shit :eek:

I also doubt the claims of the studio being paid to make it worse. There is no point and only serves to be a waste of money. The 30FPS cap seems to be due to some dumbasse's idea to tie the physics to the frame rate. When the game runs at 60 enemies occasionally move much faster than they do at 30, it is VERY noticeable when it happens.

Well I just played for about an hour just now. And NO crashes. Yesterday it crashed on me 3 times.

But I must say, this game is fricken SWEET when its working correctly. i'm having a lot of fun. The crashing ruins the experience.

Damn. What is the lessor of the two evils? I have a pretty nice Samsung Un55es8000TV that has very low controller lag at 240 hz. It feels like it runs at 120 fps with Automotion plus enabled. Bloodborne looked and played flawlessly.

Bloodborne is the whole reason I bought BAK on PC instead of PS4. I had headaches and eye strain so bad from playing that game at 30fps, I just about couldn't get through it. Not to mention the constant frame rate dips.

I spent about three hours playing this game, and loved every minute of it.

But I'm gaming on a 2560x1080 monitor, and I need SLI to be functional. And in this game it isn't. Flying through the air, and driving the Batmobile, just tanks your FPS. And so sorry, but 30 FPS just does not cut it on a display that, er, displays at 60 Hz.

The game was wildly compelling though, and it was super hard to walk away. But here's the thing. I actually do believe that Rocksteady is going to fix this thing. I just do.

And I want to play the version that works. If I have to wait another two or three months for that, then so be it.

I'd actually like to hear what you guys think about Rocksteady fixing this?

Yay or nay?

I just have faith in them. They did this before, with Arkham City. I mean, it wasn't as bad as it is now with Knight, but it was pretty bad.

They fixed City eventually, and I'm certain they'll fix Knight also.

Wabe 2.0...hmm. If you starred in Walker: Texas Ranger then your name would seem strangely familiar. ;)

Total BS, they wanted to release the game, make their money, and fix it with patches later.

This makes zero sense. The game can be refunded first of all. This only hurts there reputation. And they suspended sales. Which means they aren't making ANY money on the PC copy atm.

I'm sorry but you're full of it.

The game was wildly compelling though, and it was super hard to walk away.

This is what I've been telling my coworkers and anyone who will listen, lol. The way the tension is crafted, the way everyone feels at risk is unlike any of the prior games. It truly feels like Scarecrow is in control and is able to follow through on his threats. This is the best Batman-related material I've experienced without a doubt.

This Steam refund policy is just so great for gaming in general. I'm willing to bet that all publishers and developers are following this saga.

I just wish that the policy had been in effect back when Rome 2 was released. Those bastards at CA got away with murder, releasing an unfinished game. God they can go to hell.

The only problem is the 2 hour limit. IMO, that's not long enough. I'd prefer to see a 24 hour deal, like the one offered by EA.

the game uses around 4.2GB/s VRAM at just 1080p, 5GB at 1440p and a little over 6GB at 4K...wow!

You'll know you've reached your Vram limit if you're experiencing annoying stutter despite achieving high frame rates.

In Thief, for example, I maintained 60 FPS on my 60Hz monitor, but I only had 2 gigs of Vram, so I experienced terrible stutter whenever I turned around.

In Arkham Knight, I'm seeing my Vram maxed out (GTX 980 SLI), but I'm not seeing any Vram stutter, which leads me to believe that Dion is right - the game checks to see how much Vram you have, and just uses all of it.

Too bad Rocksteady got almost everything else wrong.

Arkham Knight is a pretty good looking game though. Don't believe me - just boot up one of the previous games. You'll be in for a surprise.

The only problem is the 2 hour limit. IMO, that's not long enough. I'd prefer to see a 24 hour deal, like the one offered by EA.

Protects the small indie titles that take 5 to beat I suppose.

You'll know you've reached your Vram limit if you're experiencing annoying stutter despite achieving high frame rates.

In Thief, for example, I maintained 60 FPS on my 60Hz monitor, but I only had 2 gigs of Vram, so I experienced terrible stutter whenever I turned around.

In Arkham Knight, I'm seeing my Vram maxed out (GTX 980 SLI), but I'm not seeing any Vram stutter, which leads me to believe that Dion is right - the game checks to see how much Vram you have, and just uses all of it.

Too bad Rocksteady got almost everything else wrong.

Arkham Knight is a pretty good looking game though. Don't believe me - just boot up one of the previous games. You'll be in for a surprise.

From the videos ive seen and people that bought they dont feel the game is that much better looking then arkham city or origins yets its so more demanding.. witcher 3 and gta 5 look better and have huge worlds and run perfect.

From the videos ive seen and people that bought they dont feel the game is that much better looking then arkham city or origins yets its so more demanding.. witcher 3 and gta 5 look better and have huge worlds and run perfect.

Um this game looks miles better then City and Origins.

I took this SS. The lighting and detail and scale of the game is just a HUGE upgrade over the previous games. I think Rocksteady will fix the FPS drops people are having. But the game is still going to be fairly demanding.

I'm aware that some users are reporting performance issues with the PC version. This is something that Rocksteady takes very seriously.1/2

https://twitter.com/Seftonhill/status/613432448920199168

WBGames is working with the PC developer IronGalaxy to address the issues ASAP. Rocksteady will provide any support to get this resolved.2/2

https://twitter.com/Seftonhill/status/613432514091307008

They take it so seriously they couldn't be stuffed testing it properly before release.

Any news on patches and/or drivers for PC? Particularly to fix SLI performance issues and missing textures?

IIRC the launch of City on the PC was delayed (1 month?), after it came out on consoles. I can’t for the life of me figure out why they didn’t just push it back this time. They obviously knew what kind of state it was in at the time.

That said, I’m still tempted to buy it for $20 on CDkeys, since my son REALLY wants to play it. I seriously doubt that it will run decently on my 7870 XT, but I know they’ll fix it eventually.

IIRC the launch of City on the PC was delayed (1 month?), after it came out on consoles. I can’t for the life of me figure out why they didn’t just push it back this time. They obviously knew what kind of state it was in at the time.

That said, I’m still tempted to buy it for $20 on CDkeys, since my son REALLY wants to play it. I seriously doubt that it will run decently on my 7870 XT, but I know they’ll fix it eventually.

Yeah throw money at WB for putting out a shitty product, that will teach em.

giphy.gif

When I launched Arkham Knight for the first time, my first thought was, this game doesn't look any better than Arkham City.

I played for a while, and was so disgusted by the performance that I decided to shelve the game indefinitely. I then proceeded to download Arkham City, feeling the need for a Batman fix.

I was stunned by what I saw. My memory had deceived me. Arkham City looked rudimentary in comparison with Arkham Knight. I had always thought Arkham City was a pretty good looking game, but in reality it's missing layers and layers of detail.

Those layers of detail can be found in Arkham Knight, and this is apparent when you quickly leap from one game to the other. It's a damned shame Arkham Knight didn't work well right out of the box - but again, I just feel that Rocksteady, given time, is going to correct this.

I'm now viewing this as a delay. Which is why I didn't get a refund.

Doesn't make any sense. Just look at the recent sales for GTA V, and Witcher 3. They both have outstanding graphics, little bugs, and fun game play. And look how much money they made so far.

how much money have they made?

how much money have they made?

Going simply based off Steam sales/data....

http://steamspy.com/app/271590

GTA5 shows around 2.6m copies sold, and at $59.99 per copy thats around $158m. (yes I know some of those were on sale and some were NV codes so this is obviously very simplified)

http://steamspy.com/app/292030

TW3 shows around 671k copies sold with some on sale, but it's still around $40m. (again knowing that some were NV codes)

I doubt we'll ever see actual data about "profits" on either title.

Batman:AK shows about 294k copies sold atm, and no price listed since they pulled it.

http://steamspy.com/app/208650

When I launched Arkham Knight for the first time, my first thought was, this game doesn't look any better than Arkham City.

I played for a while, and was so disgusted by the performance that I decided to shelve the game indefinitely. I then proceeded to download Arkham City, feeling the need for a Batman fix.

I was stunned by what I saw. My memory had deceived me. Arkham City looked rudimentary in comparison with Arkham Knight. I had always thought Arkham City was a pretty good looking game, but in reality it's missing layers and layers of detail.

Those layers of detail can be found in Arkham Knight, and this is apparent when you quickly leap from one game to the other. It's a damned shame Arkham Knight didn't work well right out of the box - but again, I just feel that Rocksteady, given time, is going to correct this.

I'm now viewing this as a delay. Which is why I didn't get a refund.

Well said Wabe 2.0, and welcome to [H]ard|Forum

Caught this on the Steam page, guess it's gonna be a while.

Unless that was there before?
It was there before, people just didn't notice it for some reason. There is no mention about a new release date for the Windows version yet. The Steam page still says it was released June 22.
there is a stunning game underneath all the PC performance issues which is the frustrating part...the PS4 reviews are all amazing with nearly perfect scores...as a fan of Rocksteady's previous Arkham games this is very disappointing...something got majorly screwed up along the assembly line...Rocksteady--->Iron Galaxy--->Nvidia
Which is what makes this all the more frustrating. I just can't play any game at anything less than 60 FPS anymore, and this game needs to be locked at 30 to avoid any of the more game breaking glitches.
it's not so much about performance...it's confirmed that the PC version is missing key graphical features (AO, AF, DoF etc)...I want all the eye candy enabled before playing the 1st time
It was quite shocking to me to see a new release without ambient occlusion. It's pretty much a standard feature these days, and the game looks pretty flat without it.

Going simply based off Steam sales/data....

http://steamspy.com/app/271590

GTA5 shows around 2.6m copies sold, and at $59.99 per copy thats around $158m. (yes I know some of those were on sale and some were NV codes so this is obviously very simplified)

http://steamspy.com/app/292030

TW3 shows around 671k copies sold with some on sale, but it's still around $40m. (again knowing that some were NV codes)

I doubt we'll ever see actual data about "profits" on either title.

Batman:AK shows about 294k copies sold atm, and no price listed since they pulled it.

http://steamspy.com/app/208650

What Nvidia code for GTAV? I don't recall it coming with any GPUs, even if it did it would have gone through Rockstar's Social Club service. The only way to get GTAV on Steam is to buy it on Steam. There haven't been any real sales on the game either. Just some stupid "discounted" bundles still selling for $60.

All Witcher 3 codes were for GOG. Like GTAV the only way to get it on Steam is to buy it on Steam. I'd have to find the article again but I believe CDP said Witcher 3 sold something like 4 million copies already with a million or so on PC. I might be off on that so I'll try to hunt it down when I get home.

What Nvidia code for GTAV? I don't recall it coming with any GPUs, even if it did it would have gone through Rockstar's Social Club service. The only way to get GTAV on Steam is to buy it on Steam. There haven't been any real sales on the game either. Just some stupid "discounted" bundles still selling for $60.

All Witcher 3 codes were for GOG. Like GTAV the only way to get it on Steam is to buy it on Steam. I'd have to find the article again but I believe CDP said Witcher 3 sold something like 4 million copies already with a million or so on PC. I might be off on that so I'll try to hunt it down when I get home.

I couldn't remember if there were codes for GTA5 and TW3 or not for Steam. (Stuck at work atm so my web access is somewhat hindered to a lot of things for poking around too much). I know some places were selling both games at a discount, but wasnt sure which service those keys were for (Steam or Galaxy, etc etc).

Even just using Steam sales though, its fun to look at the data and see what it shows, though we'll never get any sort of hard data from the studios themselves I'm sure.

It's all got to be taken with a grain of salt, and I'd never use any of those numbers trying to "prove" anything. It just gives a very rough idea of the whole picture.

Lol that's just nonsense. The game is LIGHTYEARS ahead of the previous games visually, and quite honestly is one of the best looking games I've seen. This is on the PS4 version that has some shaders and effects not present currently on PC.

The game's story is so dope. Loving the crap out of it. If they fix the stutter then I am all set. Some poor resolution textures also and some missing effects fixed and this game will be dopey dope. Also the nvidia effects are damn good. Love the fog and toilet paper floating about. Also debris seems to be more with effects turned on.

Loving it.

"We have our best engineers at Rocksteady working like crazy to help fix the issues ASAP"...translation: we had the temps develop and code the game

"PC fixes come first"...translation: PS4 is still the lead platform but for 2 weeks PC will be a priority

in all seriousness, I'm glad Rocksteady is not rushing out a patch...take your time and deliver a substantial first patch and not a hotfix

"We have our best engineers at Rocksteady working like crazy to help fix the issues ASAP"...translation: we had the temps and rookies develop and code the game

"PC fixes come first"...translation: PS4 is the lead platform but for 2 weeks PC will be a priority

in all seriousness, I'm glad Rocksteady is not rushing out a patch...take your time and deliver a substantial first patch and not a hotfix

A shame this isn't the way it was BEFORE the game was released but...better late than never? I guess we'll find out.

I'm glad Rocksteady is not rushing out a patch...take your time and deliver a substantial first patch and not a hotfix

When we look at the successful Kickstarter games, what do we see - in each case we see the gamers... the backers... saying to the developers, take as much time as you need... we want a finished game, a great game. Not a rushed game.

I stopped playing Arkham Knight at 9% completion, and up until that point loved what I saw. But the damned game - or, rather the port - is just half-baked.

So the question I'm now faced with is this: What the hell's Wabe going to play this weekend? Wabe's only got about 24 uninstalled never-before-seen titles in his Steam library to choose from. Maybe this weekend Wabe'll finally start Alien Isolation? Or maybe the graphically exciting Ryse Son of Rome? Or Maybe Pillars of Eternity, which Wabe just bought during the summer sale?

My god, so many titles... so little time. I don't know about you guys, but lately I've been jumping around from game to game. It's madness.

I only got hung up on one game recently, the ridiculously downgraded Witcher 3. Shame on you CDPR. Your bait and switch tactics were disgusting to witness.

This whole debacle could have been avoided if Rocksteady just gave a little QA attention to the port after Iron Galaxy was finished with it. Now WB and Rocksteady have earned a lot of ill will from their audience that they'll never get back. I know I'm now going to be thinking twice about buying anything "made" by Rocksteady and/or published by WB in the future.

It's still reassuring to know that the PC audience is big enough that it hurts their bottom-line by thinking of us as second-class citizens.

Back