Baldurs Gate 3 - Official Discussion Thread (2019)

I finally completed the game last night. All the talk about chapter 3 being short on content = pretty absurd to me. If anything, it's the largest and most dense chapter.
They never really do seem to do most melee characters justice. Karlach and Laezel can dish out big hits (and are durable), but with the game always outnumbering you it's tough not to always run with both Wyll and Gale. Shadowheart and Jaheira's late-game AOE spells can be pretty great, too. Rogues seem to have a pitiful number of special attacks, but the crazy damage and sheer number of critical instakills you get make them better than you might think. At the end of the game Astarion and my main, also a rogue, were easily my best melee fighters. I made Minsc into an archer, which was shockingly also really strong. I wish you go him earlier in the game considering the sheer amount of effort they put into his dialogue. Halsin might as well have not even been there, so they could have flip-flopped those two IMO.

I finally completed the game last night. All the talk about chapter 3 being short on content = pretty absurd to me. If anything, it's the largest and most dense chapter.
They never really do seem to do most melee characters justice. Karlach and Laezel can dish out big hits (and are durable), but with the game always outnumbering you it's tough not to always run with both Wyll and Gale. Shadowheart and Jaheira's late-game AOE spells can be pretty great, too. Rogues seem to have a pitiful number of special attacks, but the crazy damage and sheer number of critical instakills you get make them better than you might think. At the end of the game Astarion and my main, also a rogue, were easily my best melee fighters. I made Minsc into an archer, which was shockingly also really strong. I wish you go him earlier in the game considering the sheer amount of effort they put into his dialogue. Halsin might as well have not even been there, so they could have flip-flopped those two IMO.
The problem with comments like these on 'str' of classes; is you need to include the difficulty you played on as this can change drastically on different difficulties.

The problem with comments like these on 'str' of classes; is you need to include the difficulty you played on as this can change drastically on different difficulties.

Just playing on the default, which I'd assume is what most people are playing on since there are only 3. In all but a handful of encounters I was outnumbered. Often by a lot. AOE spells FTW.

A physical deluxe edition is coming out when the Xbox console version launches in Q1 2024. You can only get it directly from Larian, and it costs USD $80.

https://box.baldursgate3.game/

1700230748300.png

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but has anyone tried the WASD mod? The only thing keeping me from playing is the point to click gameplay. If the WASD mod is well done, I might actually consider picking this up.

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but has anyone tried the WASD mod? The only thing keeping me from playing is the point to click gameplay. If the WASD mod is well done, I might actually consider picking this up.

I tried it 2 months ago and it kinda/sorta worked, but they might have improved it. I found it a little jarring when you wanted to walk around, but then needed to click one of the action buttons. Plus, at least the version I was running required me to do a bunch of steps every time I started the game to even get it running. I bailed on it and ended up using a pad 90% and KB/M only when I needed to manage my inventory.

I tried it 2 months ago and it kinda/sorta worked, but they might have improved it. I found it a little jarring when you wanted to walk around, but then needed to click one of the action buttons. Plus, at least the version I was running required me to do a bunch of steps every time I started the game to even get it running. I bailed on it and ended up using a pad 90% and KB/M only when I needed to manage my inventory.
Thanks for the input, that sounds like quite a nuisance. I wonder if it has improved at all.

Using a controller is an option, I typically hate controllers but I played Morrowind to completion on a controller back in the day, so it might be nostalgic if nothing else lol.

Thanks for the input, that sounds like quite a nuisance. I wonder if it has improved at all.

Using a controller is an option, I typically hate controllers but I played Morrowind to completion on a controller back in the day, so it might be nostalgic if nothing else lol.

The game honestly works really well with a pad. Way better than KB/M in my opinion. Yet for some reason the game uses a completely different inventory system for pads. Not just a little different, but a completely different UI/UX. Your stuff isn't even ordered and bagged the same way. Luckily you don't really have to dabble with your inventory that much. I mostly just played everything normally with a pad (shuffling heavy items to my other characters as needed with the pad UI) and would bust out the KB/M at camp or when I was selling stuff to a merchant.

The most popular romance option is the slightly attractive white female despite all of them being player sexual.

Shadowheart is coded like the damaged emo drunk girl at the frat party that everyone has already been in her pants. The others you kinda have to try to romance, well not Gale, he's as slutty as Shadowheart.

So what is the verdict - is this game any good or kind of lame ?

Were you a fan of BG I and II (Or Planescape or Icewindale)?
I couldn't get into 1; 2 was pretty good; never got into planescape though try it twice and icewindale 1/2 (which i played before bg) was great. My sister gave me a bunch of games she had played around 2003 including those 5 games; i played icewindale 1/2 then some might and magic then bg 1 then bg 2 and planescape last. The might and magic were pretty good -they were later numbers - vaguely i think 7 wa best; the earlier tittles were too old by then. I guess my sister liked role playing games... prior to her giving me those games i played stuff like half life/dooms/descent - anyone remember descent 1/2 - freespace 2 was great.... wiz 8 was another game she gave me - that one took forever.

I couldn't get into 1; 2 was pretty good; never got into planescape though try it twice and icewindale 1/2 (which i played before bg) was great. My sister gave me a bunch of games she had played around 2003 including those 5 games; i played icewindale 1/2 then some might and magic then bg 1 then bg 2 and planescape last. The might and magic were pretty good -they were later numbers - vaguely i think 7 wa best; the earlier tittles were too old by then. I guess my sister liked role playing games... prior to her giving me those games i played stuff like half life/dooms/descent - anyone remember descent 1/2 - freespace 2 was great.... wiz 8 was another game she gave me - that one took forever.

None of the gameplay between the D&D games and M&M will really carry over. This is a Divine Divinity game with a D&D name slapped on it, with D&D rules working in the background. It's also got some metagame elements in it that I've never seen in any other RPG outside of some JRPGs. Also the plot has nothing to do with any of those D&D games, it's a sort-of successor to Neverwinter Nights II.

On the other hand, if you just want some game to game on, it might work for you. It's pretty, but also has weirdly out of place sex-based stuff that was never in any of the D&D games. And a million endings which are all dumb from what I understand, I have not played this a million times.

History will write this game off is my bet. If you want an RPG that combines your FPS background with something more real-time and systems-based, have you played Jade Empire? SWKOTOR I and II?

None of the gameplay between the D&D games and M&M will really carry over. This is a Divine Divinity game with a D&D name slapped on it, with D&D rules working in the background. It's also got some metagame elements in it that I've never seen in any other RPG outside of some JRPGs. Also the plot has nothing to do with any of those D&D games, it's a sort-of successor to Neverwinter Nights II.

On the other hand, if you just want some game to game on, it might work for you. It's pretty, but also has weirdly out of place sex-based stuff that was never in any of the D&D games. And a million endings which are all dumb from what I understand, I have not played this a million times.

History will write this game off is my bet. If you want an RPG that combines your FPS background with something more real-time and systems-based, have you played Jade Empire? SWKOTOR I and II?
Played jade empire years ago and enjoyed it - never go tinto swotor 1 (tried it 3 times and made it to a couple of planets); never tried swokotor ii.

Did enjoy the divine divinity series 2 was best but dos:2 is a near 2nd with dos:1 having its own charm but very different. dd was really good played it twice but it has aged now.

Did enjoy the divine divinity series 2 was best but dos:2 is a near 2nd with dos:1 having its own charm but very different. dd was really good played it twice but it has aged now.

Sounds like you might enjoy BG3.

Fantastic game so far. I'm about 40hrs in and just only started Act2. Lol. It's a rabbit hole, within a rabbit hole, within 2 more rabbit holes.

I like to check every little area out. Went to go save Halsin and got distracted when I found the entrance to Underdark. Next thing I know I've spent how ever many hours clearing the entire Underdark, the Forge area, all the way to the elevator (I only get to play a few hours a night so this took me a couple days). Then when I got the screen prompt about "tying up any loose ends before proceeding" I forgot about all the events that originally started my killing spree 😆...

Anyways, I later took the Mountain path route to Act 2 and have taken it upon myself to start the Githyanki genocide starting with cleansing the Monastery.

Big patch today improves kissing dynamics and some other stuff 17 gigs. Been meaning to get back into this one still on Act 1.

Is BG3 overrated, or is it me? I think it's me.

I played BG 1&2, PS:T (maybe my favorite game ever), IWD 1&2 back in the day. When BG3 was released, I had DOS 1&2 in my backlog, so I figured I'd play those and wait for a sale for BG3. Played those, then Jagged Alliance 3, then into BG3.

I think I got myself Larian'd out before starting BG3. I enjoyed DOS1, and DOS2 until the city, then it seemed like the game went to shit. JA3 has different mechanics, but same type of camera view. I haven't gotten pulled into BG3 after 16 hours. I'll play about an hour on a weekend and I've had enough. Don't even feel motivated to fire it up during the week.

I think I need to play a different type of game (or 2) and then try BG3 again.

Honestly, I didn't love it. I think it's a good game, but you'd think it was the best game of the last 20 years based on some reactions. I found plenty of jank on my trek through it, and the UI/UX are full-on bad IMO. Don't even get me started on losing party members every time a jump is involved. I think what some people really like, and which I agree with, is the sheer thought that went into the game. There are so many ways to approach different scenarios that feel full-on brilliant when you discover one. Obscure spells that oddly make tough fights a breeze, conversations that can go in strange directions, etc.

One of these days I may try to go beyond Act 1. All of my time has been in co-op with a friend but I'd probably start over with a new character as was not having fun playing a Ranger early on.

It’s not you, and yeah, this was complete trash, and it was the biggest bait and switch since Daikatana.

BG3 makes every single Tribes sequel look authentic.

BG3 was so bad that it retroactively made Fallout 3 a true sequel to Fallout 2, and by extension, means that the Fallout world and the Elder Scrolls games must canonically be in the same universe.

It was a bunch of hype to sell a Divinity game that had nothing to do with the Baldur's Gate world or franchise.

Back