Baldurs Gate 3 - Official Discussion Thread (2019)

9.3 user review. Oh man, what a trash game.

Still no1 even by user score.
To be honest it appears to be a massive success both in terms of user experience and sale # but all Swen talks about is how burned out they are and the desire that their next game be a lot smaller in scope ;)
-
I would not be shocked if all 400 people who worked on the game make more than 500K each.

but all Swen talks about is how burned out they are and the desire that their next game be a lot smaller in scope
They're free to do what they want. I like the stuff Larian makes so no matter the scope I'll be checking out their next project. Hell, I even liked the Dragon Commander game.

They're free to do what they want. I like the stuff Larian makes so no matter the scope I'll be checking out their next project. Hell, I even liked the Dragon Commander game.
I thought Divine Divinity was pretty awesome when I played it like 20 years ago. Its so cool to see how far Larian as come since then.

This is my containment thread.

I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me.
giphy.gif

Well Dragon commander would have been better if they had actually supported it - but they dropped it like a hot rock and never looked back. Swen spoke several times how they thought Dragon Commander approach would be the real winner and D:OS-1 was just a diversion. He really got that one wrong.

I thought Divine Divinity was pretty awesome when I played it like 20 years ago. Its so cool to see how far Larian as come since then.
Yea - it really had some very fine moments. I'd love to see them keep the basic story but redo the game in D:OS engine and flush out some of the elements the publisher made them cut.

Diablo 4 also launched to critical acclaim but as the weeks went on the player base seems to have turned...I wonder if Baldur's Gate 3 will suffer the same fate...

Diablo 4 also launched to critical acclaim but as the weeks went on the player base seems to have turned...I wonder if Baldur's Gate 3 will suffer the same fate...
Diablo 4 also rolled out one of the most disliked patches I've seen

Like literally the exact opposite of what people wanted

Yea - it really had some very fine moments. I'd love to see them keep the basic story but redo the game in D:OS engine and flush out some of the elements the publisher made them cut.
I'd love that. I mean even just a graphical remaster would be nice too.

It’s not impossible that later parts of the game won’t hold up as well as the opening but it should be noted that D4’s user score plummeted due to how abysmal the updates have been and how shitty Blizzard’s response was. It’s really not a comparable situation.

I had to re-start. I had a thousand things in my inventory and had no idea what they were for, and about two million spells that all seemed to do the same thing. I can see that I’ve forgotten how to play this type of game.

I had to re-start. I had a thousand things in my inventory and had no idea what they were for, and about two million spells that all seemed to do the same thing. I can see that I’ve forgotten how to play this type of game.
idk how restarting is gonna help, lol, but yeah one thing that annoys me about Larian's games is that you can pick up just about anything you can see, even knives and forks and rotten fruit and shit like that that has zero gameplay value and sells for 1 gold each. SOME items have decent sell value so you're just leaving money on the table if you don't pick them up, but since they're surrounded by all the worthless crap, you have to spend a lot of time rummaging through your garbage truck of a character to see the items that DO have some kind of gameplay value like alchemy ingredients or quest items.

tl;dr is if you want to make all the gold you possibly can, you're just gonna have to deal with your inventory being packed full of trash and making regular vendor stops to pawn it off, or just force yourself to not loot anything that isn't obviously like weapons, armor, camp supplies, alchemy ingredients, or quest items.

really wish they would just color code the labels of the "junk" items with gray or something, and adding a separate key or option to show them with your "show item labels" key. also always fun when you're like "eh, guess i'll pick up that cup, it's worth 6 gold" and then your character has to go on a quarter mile detour to pick it up because it's 3 inches too far from the edge of the table. jesus fucking christ it really is stupid when you think about how much time you spend fucking around with table cutlery or 3 paragraph books when we could be fighting demons and shit

Last edited:
I like the bad items element of it and discerning, it is still ultra video gamy with your characther seeming to have lot of knowledge about everything and everything is magic bag-keyset-etc... with a magic camp site, ridiculous weight, joke volume you can carry around that make it quite convenient, the filtering-category options could be much better (or maybe I am just not good at it). That always part of playing roleple games, you could always pick up ridiculous amount of nonsense and cannot know in advance what useful for a quest.

There a no playing brain-dead not having to read anything at all could be in an alien language as long as I have a minimap to it

I like the bad items element of it and discerning, it is still ultra video gamy with your characther seeming to have lot of knowledge about everything and everything is magic bag-keyset-etc... with a magic camp site, ridiculous weight, joke volume you can carry around that make it quite convenient, the filtering-category options could be much better (or maybe I am just not good at it). That always part of playing roleplaying, you could always pick up ridiculous amount of nonsense and cannot know in advance what useful for a quest.

There a no playing brain-dead not having to read anything at all could be in an alien language as long as I have a minimap to it
yeah i expect some of it in most isometric rpgs, Larian just goes overboard with it in their games imo. it's not a huge issue or anything, just annoying

edit: sweet, another hotfix (#3) which fixes an issue i ran into several times where characters would get stuck in the dialogue interface in the middle of combat with no way to get them out of it.

Don't Elder Scrolls games also let you pickup a ridiculous amount of stuff?
yeah but it's just not as irritating in those games, maybe because they're FPS and the controls are less of a hassle as far as what you want to pick up and what you don't

yeah but it's just not as irritating in those games, maybe because they're FPS and the controls are less of a hassle as far as what you want to pick up and what you don't
Maybe, but Skyrim was still by far clutter central to the point people were just finding creative ways of organizing their hoarder houses.

*Edit* None of which I mind. I think it just gets people who feel compelled to pick up every single item they can.

Maybe, but Skyrim was still by far clutter central to the point people were just finding creative ways of organizing their hoarder houses.

*Edit* None of which I mind. I think it just gets people who feel compelled to pick up every single item they can.
true... i guess it's not an annoyance at all in Larian rpgs, now that i think about it some more.

The only thing I'm kind of surprised at so far is the vast quantity of camp supplies you can find by just picking through all the crates and barrels. I kinda figured at first that camp supplies would have to be conserved, but I've got wayyy more than I need.

have you considered not torturing yourself and doing something besides worrying about bg3

have you considered not torturing yourself and doing something besides worrying about bg3

I had a power outage and GOG reset and that was on the front of my screen when I got up this morning. And I think it's fair to say that this isn't BG3, it's DOS3.

Have fun with it, though.

I had a power outage and GOG reset and that was on the front of my screen when I got up this morning.

i think this speaks plenty

of all things to do upon waking on a Saturday, you landed on "scroll through a few pages of bg3 reviews and take screenshots to tell everyone the same thing you've said 8 times over because said reviews were conveniently just sitting there after losing power during the night"

I don't even mind the naysaying. It's just funny lol.

However, based on the nitpicking on GoG I can honestly say I've played and enjoyed many more rpgs/crpgs/jrpgs/etc than most people because I've encountered pretty much all of them in various well received titles in the past.

Back