Baldurs Gate 3 - Official Discussion Thread (2019)

Nothing in preload yet signs point to just having loading the game on the 3rd which sucks since it's a 150 gigs game will take me 2 days to download for me anyway.Suppose I could go to my brother's house and download it in a few hours.
Maybe time to purchase that next tier of connection speed.

I remember hanging out at Electronic Boutique on a Friday afternoon for Baldur’s Gate 2 - because EB used to get a lot of its games on Friday afternoons.

The guy behind the counter was as excited as I was, and kept saying the shipment was on its way - but it never arrived, and I went home super disappointed having waited 5 hours. LOL.

Is it weird that I remember this? This was 23 years ago. I tend to remember a lot of gaming related stuff though, which says a lot about me.

Nothing in preload yet signs point to just having loading the game on the 3rd which sucks since it's a 150 gigs game will take me 2 days to download for me anyway.Suppose I could go to my brother's house and download it in a few hours.
Or just break into someone’s home with your pc and download it before the cops show. You’ll need to locate the password fast and you’ll need a fibre optic connection with a blazing fast download speed. Make sure to wear a mask, and don’t park your escape vehicle too close by. Good luck.

What genre is this game? aRPG or turn based RPG like Divinity Original Sin?

Or something else?

It's going to be good wouldn't want to miss it. Reviews are Overwhelming Positive just based on Early Access alone.

I remember hanging out at Electronic Boutique on a Friday afternoon for Baldur’s Gate 2 - because EB used to get a lot of its games on Friday afternoons.

The guy behind the counter was as excited as I was, and kept saying the shipment was on its way - but it never arrived, and I went home super disappointed having waited 5 hours. LOL.

Is it weird that I remember this? This was 23 years ago. I tend to remember a lot of gaming related stuff though, which says a lot about me.

Yeah I got mine from EB back then also, got the collectors edition which was pretty nice. Played the heck out of it for months.

I remember downloading and playing the Diablo 1 demo after seeing it advertised in a magazine at the grocery store.

I was in second grade and I thought it was the hardest, creepiest game. But I loved it

I think many of my early gaming experiences left an impression on me. Even still today as an adult.

I went to EB in GB Wisconsin port plaza mall the guy there was sweating behind the counter it wasn't even hot he had some McDonald's straws in his chest pocket Picked up a PS1 there with a buddy. and Thunderforce 3 for Gensis. Too far a drive to go all the time. Picked up Baldurs Gate at Walmart the 2nd year I started working there. Picked it Ultima Online at Best Buy in Greenbay in 1997. While looking for a job lol.
I miss physical copies of game but alot if games are not even worth having a physical copy.

Last edited:
I went to EB in GB Wisconsin port plaza mall the guy there was sweating behind the counter it wasn't even hot he had some McDonald's straws in his chest pocket Picked up a PS1 there with a buddy. and Thunderforce 3 for Gensis. Too far a drive to go all the time. Picked up Baldurs Gate at Walmart the 2nd year I started working there. Picked it Ultima Online at Best Buy in Greenbay in 1997. While looking for a job lol.
I miss physical copies of game but alot if games are not even worth having a physical copy.
The thrill of walking into the software store and actually seeing that game you’d been waiting months for!

Months! Like, maybe 4 months! LOL.

But it was always so exciting. I remember finally seeing the box for Loom on the shelf. I’d read about it in Computer Gaming World… and there it was. By the time I got home with these boxed games my hands would be shaking. Of course, I was probably only buying a new game every four months or so - so it seemed like a much bigger deal.

That said, I’ve learned to love the countdown for the digital release.

This is why I’m going to pay for the early access version of Starfield. There’s no way I’ll be able to hold back for a week, knowing I’m missing out on the excitement of the launch.

I think the last game i purchased a box version was 2009/2010 king bounty legend. I remember staying up two nights playing the demo - and the music alone was enough to buy it. It was around the time steam was picking up steam and not so far after that i just buying all my games on steam. Of course that also put gogamer out of business ;)

I actually still have all the original Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 disks, including the sleeve case for the first game. Icewind Dale 1 and 2, too. No clue why I kept 'em, but I did. I remember the original BG being hyped for several years in the various magazines, so it was a big deal when it finally came out. After those games, the Neverwinter felt like such a step back. The Temple of Elemental Evil was even worse. Neverwinter 2 was a bit better, but it played more like a beta for Dragon Age than anything.

I actually still have all the original Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 disks, including the sleeve case for the first game. Icewind Dale 1 and 2, too. No clue why I kept 'em, but I did. I remember the original BG being hyped for several years in the various magazines, so it was a big deal when it finally came out. After those games, the Neverwinter felt like such a step back. The Temple of Elemental Evil was even worse. Neverwinter 2 was a bit better, but it played more like a beta for Dragon Age than anything.

NWN1 was pretty clearly built around it's creation toolset with very little concern for the actual single-player content. It ended up being an outstand modding and playset creation platform and the expansions thankfully added some decent single-player stuff. Trokia really struggled with ToEE, it's pretty obvious the game needed both more time and more money to meet their ambitions. Doesn't help that they switched from DND 3.0 to 3.5 mid-development. NWN2 was developed by Obsidian, it had nothing at all to do with Dragon Age.

I think any controversy over the game is due to to gamers brains being bombarded by First Person Shooters for 30 years. So this game will be like therapy for the gaming community.

This is a big release, but for me it’s not that exciting, because the Original Sin games never really clicked with me, and also because I purchased this in Early Access years ago, and I never even made it off that airship thing.

Also, I’m suffering from really bad anxiety at the moment (had a heart attack, have myopericarditis, maybe had a mini-stroke or a migraine with aura, the love of my life left me without even saying anything, my job is in jeopardy because of my health, my mom’s close to the end), which makes gaming a lot less enjoyable, if I can game at all.

Hopefully I’ll be able to give this game a try and it will allow me to escape - gaming used to be so easy.

I'm pretty sure there is going to be a preload but it's coming up at the next community announcement I think on the Steam front page.
The thing is the Early Access would have to vanish in order for the button to change to a preload button and I don't know if that will happen.

I'm pretty sure there is going to be a preload but it's coming up at the next community announcement I think on the Steam front page.
The thing is the Early Access would have to vanish in order for the button to change to a preload button and I don't know if that will happen.

Or it could koad completely separate. Humanity did that, heck I'm lazy and to this day on my steam client I have humanity early access, and the current game.

I'll get the Steam Forum going

Screenshot_20230731-095220.png

Cool good reviews not going to watch them due to spoilers. I only had a 100 minutes in the 1st Act back in Oct. 2020.

At highest settings and what kind of frames per second are you getting?
I have a lowly 2070 laptop gpu in an Alienware area 51 from about 2018 or 2019

Yes, high. Framerate 30-60, but with async and a not so good 4k monitor

Back