Baldurs Gate 3 - Official Discussion Thread (2019)

The download is 100 GB. Two hours for me - but I’m going to work anyhow.

Even if I had the day off I still wouldn’t play this right away because I can no longer play games during the day. My anxiety in general is out of control. Playing games during the day just feels wrong.

I can’t believe there was actually a time in my life during which I’d game all day long. I can visit a gaming forum throughout the day… but I can’t actually play all day anymore.

The download is 100 GB. Two hours for me - but I’m going to work anyhow.

Even if I had the day off I still wouldn’t play this right away because I can no longer play games during the day. My anxiety in general is out of control. Playing games during the day just feels wrong.

I can’t believe there was actually a time in my life during which I’d game all day long. I can visit a gaming forum throughout the day… but I can’t actually play all day anymore.

LOL, that's me. I work from home a lot of the time and can pop on for 5-10 minutes here and there, but that's about it. Funny enough, even on the weekend I can only rarely play "all day." I don't think my mind is wired for it anymore. It usually takes something super compelling to make me want to play for more than an hour or two.

LOL, that's me. I work from home a lot of the time and can pop on for 5-10 minutes here and there, but that's about it. Funny enough, even on the weekend I can only rarely play "all day." I don't think my mind is wired for it anymore. It usually takes something super compelling to make me want to play for more than an hour or two.
Are you any better at night? I find that when it’s dark I can watch a movie or play a game - but when it’s daylight, I need to be working, either for work, or for personal reasons (like fixing something around the house or doing neglected chores).

The night seems to settle me. This anxiety thing is relatively new to me. I’m 56 now, and when I was younger I didn’t have a care in the world.

My routine in the last few years has been to not game for about 95% of my life and then game a whole bunch in short chunks of time to make my way through a few games until I've either finished them or gotten bored. In the last week or two I think I've logged in about 60 hours on jagged alliance 3.

Baldur's Gate 3 might just be the best D&D experience there's ever been

Baldur's Gate 3 feels primed to be held up with the best of the best, with the likes of Critical Role, Curse of Strahd, and the classic D&D CRPGs of the past; Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, and, of course, with the original Baldur's Gate...

https://www.gamesradar.com/baldurs-gate-3-review/

Baldur's Gate 3 Review Impressions: Full Game!

Last edited:
Steam servers cried when I tried to download it. Steam paused it and gave a red "busy" text. That was about 30mins after official launch. Started it up again 5 mins later and was getting 75 MB/s speeds.

Are you any better at night? I find that when it’s dark I can watch a movie or play a game - but when it’s daylight, I need to be working, either for work, or for personal reasons (like fixing something around the house or doing neglected chores).

The night seems to settle me. This anxiety thing is relatively new to me. I’m 56 now, and when I was younger I didn’t have a care in the world.

In my case, I think it's just an attention span thing as I've gotten older. I do fine during the days (especially early morning) when I'm not working. Occasionally a game will really grip me and I'll look at the clock and 4-5 hours have passed, but it's pretty rare. I typically jog around 11AM and go to bed at 10PM, so those two things keep me from binging too much.

Does a controller work? Some people on Steam are saying it does wonky things glitching out.

If you can't get the game to save

Alright - can confirm. Disable Larian Cross save fixes the problem! Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not even a fan of these Diablo/Baldur's Gate types of games but am excited to hear all the great reviews...sounds like GOTY is wrapped up...

Download is a bit irritating. It'll drop to 0 for a bit, then go back up to around 400 Mbps, then down after a while, back up, etc. Not a huge deal, overall about 40 min download.

my biggest turnoff was the top down camera but I saw some screenshots where the person is playing in what looks like traditional 3rd person over the shoulder with the camera behind you...so I can play this like a typical 3rd person game like Dark Souls or Tomb Raider?

my biggest turnoff was the top down camera but I saw some screenshots where the person is playing in what looks like traditional 3rd person over the shoulder with the camera behind you...so I can play this like a typical 3rd person game like Dark Souls or Tomb Raider?
Apparently if you scroll the camera all the way in you can get a sort of 3rd person camera from behind.

Steam servers cried when I tried to download it. Steam paused it and gave a red "busy" text. That was about 30mins after official launch. Started it up again 5 mins later and was getting 75 MB/s speeds.

First time I've seen Steam busy:

BG3busy.png

Apparently if you scroll the camera all the way in you can get a sort of 3rd person camera from behind.

that's pretty cool...I might actually give this a go then...sort of plays like Mass Effect or Dragon Age with the 3rd person view...

They're probably provisioning the servers so the whole thing doesn't collapse under the load.
If i'm not mistaken they use akamai for downloads so they don't really 'provision' servers.... akamai handles a very large % of the internet traffic and bg 3 is a tiny % of the internet traffic.

Started. Black dragonborn paladin. Who looks ridiculous in a hat.

The cheat code for this is to lift weights, doesn't even have to be heavy. The brain then does the rest, producing four different feelgood hormones that happen to have the wonderful byproduct of evaporating your cortisol (stress hormone). No pharmaceutical works as well. I don't like lifting weights if I stop to think about doing it, so i don't think- I just do, sometimes requiring forcing myself. 3-4 times a week and the enduring mood stabilization will make the world seem different, like the world is your friend. Intrusive thoughts about unimportant matters are less taxing because you'll have less of them, leaving more mental bandwidth to focus on the controllables and what matters. The ignored flowers will arrange themselves.

We are always one decision away from a totally different life. I think you can do it.

Edit: Also get your testosterone level checked. And check out Andrew Huberman videos to start educating on testosterone supplementation.

Last edited:
The cheat code for this is to lift weights, doesn't even have to be heavy. The brain then does the rest, producing four different feelgood hormones that happen to have the wonderful byproduct of evaporating your cortisol (stress hormone). No pharmaceutical works as well. I don't like lifting weights if I stop to think about doing it, so i don't think- I just do, sometimes requiring forcing myself. 3-4 times a week and the enduring mood stabilization will make the world seem different, like the world is your friend. Intrusive thoughts about unimportant matters are less taxing because you'll have less of them, leaving more mental bandwidth to focus on the controllables and what matters. The ignored flowers will arrange themselves.

We are always one decision away from a totally different life. I think you can do it.
I've started lap swimming 30 to 45 minutes every weekday as soon as work ends and it is life-changing in a low-key way. Sometimes I push myself and swim fast sometimes I take it easy. And then I use a hot tub and a sauna after each session. Life just feels better to me now that I have incorporated this as a recurring habit.

Bought. Installed. Started playing. So far, it's Divinity meets Drizzt. And that's not a bad thing. I made the mistake of transferring a character from a tabletop D&D game I've been playing, and... Holy shit, SKILL CHECKS ARE EVERYWHERE. And important.
image.png
image.png

I'm loving it.

If I want to play this CoOp with my daughter, do we have to start with the same race and starting city? Like how do you connect or invite a friend to play along with you?

That would be even farther away from Baldur's Gate than this is...

A game based off of DND 5th Ed was never going to feel the same as one based on 2.5. If you were expecting a 1-to-1 recreation of a two decade old game you were always going to be disappointed. I haven't played much yet today (just don't have the time) but it still feels like a DND game. It helps that 5th is a significantly better system for video games than AD&D was.

A game based off of DND 5th Ed was never going to feel the same as one based on 2.5. If you were expecting a 1-to-1 recreation of a two decade old game you were always going to be disappointed. I haven't played much yet today (just don't have the time) but it still feels like a DND game. It helps that 5th is a significantly better system for video games than AD&D was.

Neither of these things is true. BG was a consistent engine and universe, both of which are gone. 5th is also much worse than 2.5, both on tabletop and for video games.

Not sure if I should play on easy or balanced I guess balanced is what was offered during Early Access I think I might go with that.
I'm still downloading the game I have 72 gigs finished. The wait helped me scope out any bugs I might encounter on the forums
I guess if you disable Steam input using the settings cog in the main page you shouldn't have any controller issues.

The Digital Deluxe edition should be in the library as well if you purchased during EA doesn't look like there is a printable map though.
You get character sheets not sure why someone would print those out.

Last edited:
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
MOST PLAYED RIGHT NOW

Baldur's Gate 3

Dota 2

Apex Legends™

PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS
SEE ALL 100 MOST PLAYED

Yeah I rather play PUBG instead of Baldur's Gate right about now looks like the Dota 2 playerbase dropped off unless your in College Esports.

Neither of these things is true. BG was a consistent engine and universe, both of which are gone. 5th is also much worse than 2.5, both on tabletop and for video games.
Your opinion is not, and never has been, fact.

Your just yelling into the void about a game you don't like, while the rest of us are ready to enjoy it.

Your opinion is not, and never has been, fact.

Your just yelling into the void about a game you don't like, while the rest of us are ready to enjoy it.

No? Like, I still play BG 1 & 2, also Neverwinter. And I have 5th Edition, it's really bad.

So is this game dope af?
yes

If I want to play this CoOp with my daughter, do we have to start with the same race and starting city? Like how do you connect or invite a friend to play along with you?

you can both make custom characters if you start the campaign together. you're together from the very start - you both start on the ship, in the same room.

otherwise you can invite someone whenever and assign them to whichever characters

Game is fun so far. I'm not a BG person, but I did play all of NWN. I also like D:OS 1/2 so I'm not gonna get bent out of shape about real time or "d&d 5th sucks" because I don't play it.

Anybody who wants to claim that "It's killing BG" idk, I couldn't care less. My favorite games were FO 1 and 2 and look what happened to those.

Also green woman needs an attitude adjustment.

Like damn. Just no, don't even show up at the camp.

Pally-bro don't need no baggage like that.

20230804053353_1.jpg

Got past the Airship part I choose a Paladin the Radial menu is kinda wonky when you select a special spell or move with the radial menu it requires you to press the X button at the same time really annoying unless I'm doing something wrong.
Took me a while to figure the Right Trigger is for the Quests and Inventory for the characters with the mouse everything in on display it's hidden with the Controller Radial menu but going to keep playing with a controller. I like scrolling in and out with the 3rd person overview with the controller though that part about it is nice just move the right analog stick to zoom and rotate with the left stick.

Back