Bad News for AMD owners with Metro: Last Light

7950 CFX and the game runs great at 2560x1600 :D

Getting 40-60 FPS, only thing I disabled was PhysX

yep runs like shit. not playing until driver release is made.

im not fucking playing on 1080p with medium settings on an overlclocked 7970.

to be fair though, the original metro wasnt exactly optimized code... ran like ass on excellent hardware as well at launch.. least this time it appears to run well on NV @ launch. hence my gripe.
The original game was much more demanding than people gave it credit for. Just because something runs poorly doesn't mean it's not optimized.

You want unoptimized? My system in my sig gets 30-40fps in GTA4. Give me a break.

Not "dirty" tricks per se, but definitely suspicious from Nvidia... there's some funny things going on with tesselation in Metro. Wait and see.

These conspiracy theories on every major release are getting old.

AMD users, are you running Advanced PhysX? Turn it off if you are, I imagine that is a significant performance setting without NVIDIA hardware.

more like toss money at the developer and toss in its own dev team to optimize it so essentially nv has very eairly access to the code and what dev would turn down free money and free help

Obviously not any of the Gaming Evolved developers. Let's not act like Nvidia is the only one paying developeres.

We all know both Nvidia and AMD do this so why are people acting mad? It just shows people have a bias if they act out. Like an insecurity flaring up in a teenager. Some games play better on AMD, and some play better on Nvidia. Both pay developers for help and preferential treatment regarding performance. End of story.

That being said, I am thinking of buying a 7870 xt for one of my machines if the Nvidia 7 series ends up being too overpriced. Which chances are it will be at launch due to limited availability most likely.

We all know both Nvidia and AMD do this so why are people acting mad? It just shows people have a bias if they act out. Like an insecurity flaring up in a teenager. Some games play better on AMD, and some play better on Nvidia. Both pay developers for help and preferential treatment regarding performance. End of story.

That being said, I am thinking of buying a 7870 xt for one of my machines if the Nvidia 7 series ends up being too overpriced. Which chances are it will be at launch due to limited availability most likely.

They are acting mad because AMD can do no wrong. When a game works better on nVidia cards it's because of the big evil company, when it's AMD it's because they are their holy saviors.

The AMD fanboy crap gets really old.

Flame away.

Nvidia pays developer for early access to code, or to actively program the game to run worse on AMD hardware, news at 11. This is classic TWIMTBP bullshit from Nvidia and most of you are eating it up.

They are acting mad because AMD can do no wrong. When a game works better on nVidia cards it's because of the big evil company, when it's AMD it's because they are their holy saviors.

Flame away.

I'm fairly certain Nvidia is evil, but I still like their stuff better.

Flame away.

Yeah, didn't see AMD fans complaining when Tomb Raider came out and nVidia users were having issues.

Nvidia pays developer for early access to code, or to actively program the game to run worse on AMD hardware, news at 11. This is classic TWIMTBP bullshit from Nvidia and most of you are eating it up.
No one pays the developers to actively cause games to run worse. The only example you will find is the Batman AA example, but that was a particular featureset that NVIDIA added for the developers in that game. The game did not "perform" worse. If the games run worse on one company's products, it means that they didn't/haven't coded for it in their drivers, or that one vendor provided support ahead of launch to ensure it ran well on their own products. It's not NVIDIA's fault that it runs worse on AMD cards, if NVIDIA assists the developers and optimizes it for GeForce. AMD is certainly welcome to do the same, and they do.

I'm sure some people have posted about it already, but I couldn't believe just how poorly it runs on my AMD 7970. I'm relatively new to PC gaming (well, this generation anyway) and I was only sort of peripherally aware of the whole AMD/Nvida rivalry (in terms of games being optimised specifically for one, etc) but never knew how flagrant it was. Find it kind of weird how blatantly the flaunt it too, like splash screens saying "The way it's meant to be played" etc. Would be weird to load up something like Black Ops on the 360 and get a splash screen saying "Should have got it on PS3 idiot!" and it doesn't feel that far removed from that :D sad thing is of course that nobody really wins in the long term.

Anyway yeah, I've given up on playing this until it's patched because I'm having SO many problems with shadows just going crazy and certain textures just loading weird. I mean I understand stuff like PsysX is going to look better, but sometimes fog effects look honestly like they're on the PS2 or something. Taken some screenshots/videos to show what I mean

Horribly animated fog effects - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9-JWYls-qY&feature=youtu.be

Shadows

http://i.imgur.com/OeDoeZE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/J4rjvK1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeQ7E8c7DOk&feature=youtu.be

Shame really, because the game seems great

The game, and now series is known for its system crushing graphics for it's no surprise for that my 5870 is struggling in this game now more than ever.
TWIMTBP doesn't help really but, maybe AMD will release a driver for this old beast to help with performance instead of focusing on just the 7k series radeons which it seems are the only cards getting more updates.
But then, I bet mine couldn't get any faster anyways.
GTX 780 can't get here soon enough!
Edit: for ^above^ I bet you can't wait for a proper driver to fix those too, I hope none of those problems make it unplayable later on in the game.

Last edited:
I imagine it's possible it will to be honest, which is why I want to stop. I mean in that last video I'm in an empty room so I wasn't really dropping many frames. Had the same shadow bug happen in an area where I was walking through a crowd of people and I was at about 15fps. This is on a i5 3570 and a 7970. Not the best setup money can buy or anything, but come on. I can run Crysis 3 maxed out and get close to 60fps, more if I drop shadows down a bit. This game is acting like I'm dragged my IBM compatible out for a go

There is Nvidia specific tuning in this game, which essentially ruins it for everyone. Details will be out soon, but essentially what they did is tessellate EVERYTHING they possibly can (straight lines included) in order to allow Nvidia to get a leg up on AMD, however at the cost of performance for Nvidia and AMD. So FPS is ruined for everyone just for Nvidia to get a leg up.

Well, I wont be playing the next metro game because I am stuck on 2033 because there are so few checkpoints and I suck! So there.

A new update has been released on Steam, which improves AMD performance and offers FOV customization. Patch notes:

1. Optimized performance for AMD hardware.
2. Fixed shadow visual corruption bug on AMD 7xxx cards.
3. Fixed issue with game starting only in 3:1 resolution on some TV’s.
4. Added attribute "r_base_fov" in the user.cfg file, which will allow you to change FOV. The attribute will appear in the user.cfg configuration file, located in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\4A Games\Metro LL" after starting up the game.

If the patch does not automatically download for you, restart your Steam client.

I'm at work and I can't try it out. Any AMD folks out there check out the update?

I'm at work and I can't try it out. Any AMD folks out there check out the update?

When was the patch released?

To be honest I loaded the game on my machine with GTX 670s last night using the 320.14 beta and the game runs like crap with SLi enabled.

Going to try my AMD machine tonight......hope this is the real deal. Also good news to be able to change the FOV......the game has a really narrow FOV in default.

There is Nvidia specific tuning in this game, which essentially ruins it for everyone. Details will be out soon, but essentially what they did is tessellate EVERYTHING they possibly can (straight lines included) in order to allow Nvidia to get a leg up on AMD, however at the cost of performance for Nvidia and AMD. So FPS is ruined for everyone just for Nvidia to get a leg up.

Like Crysis 2? Hmm... interesting... AMD does have scaling for tessellation which should help.

I'm not touching this one for a good while...

Source?

In the benchmark, on the same settings as I had yesterday (1440p, High, Tess Normal and no PhysX), I see a gain of 7 fps on the avg.

I got 40 fps avg on 2 runs yesterday and I get 47fps today.

So there is improvement.

I've a 7950 running at 1100/1500.

Good to see there is a bit of an improvement.Hopefully AMD with release a new optimized drive soon and we can see even more improvements. The shadow glitch is extremely annoying, and the performance drop in some areas is to the point where it's almost unplayable.

Bullshit.

Good News for AMD owners with Metro: Last Light after amd patch. :D
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/metro...ed-adds-fov-support-improves-amd-performance/

metropatch2.jpg

You have zero authority or credibility over anyone else here. Remember that. Your earlier statement that Nvidia never encourages developers to program against ATI is absolutely false.

Let's seem some recent, relevant evidence to back up that statement. Otherwise, you're just a pot calling the kettle black here.

huge increase.

70+ fps very high 2x smaa, first 10 minutes of game. shadows fixed 99%

before = 15 - 40 fps mostly 'high' no smaa, constant flickering.

You have zero authority or credibility over anyone else here. Remember that. Your earlier statement that Nvidia never encourages developers to program against ATI is absolutely false.
I would argue that I do have more credibility than a lot of people here considering I've been an active member of the forum for 13 years and I used to run a video card review site a long time ago. Either way, if you are going to make wild claims like that, provide a source or don't post. I am fully aware that there has been some scummy behavior (quack3.exe for example), by both companies mind you, in the past. I do not recall a game where NVIDIA specifically paid the developers to make the game perform worse on competing hardware. The AA issue in Batman was shitty, but other wise the game ran the same.

this may be my tinfoil hat becoming bigger but... it almost does seem like borderline corporate espionage... i mean come on, for a game to run that shitty on release day on competitors hardware compared to your sponsored company's hardware.. idk.. this may be a sign of things to come... i hope not but..

has anyone who has applied the patch realize their cards run hot? 83 C max temp within 5 minutes of playing. no throttling present. voltage or timing. this is with default clocks or oc.IIRC

has anyone who has applied the patch realize their cards run hot? 83 C max temp within 5 minutes of playing. no throttling present. voltage or timing. this is with default clocks or oc.IIRC
Default fan curve? 83C for a video card isn't really that hot.

That doesn't sound too surprising. If a patch raises framerate, it allows the card to do more work in a given time, and more work naturally means more heat.

My benchmark scores stayed exactly the same after the patch.... That's all I've had time to do.... Cards don't go above 65% usage which seems odd

Well it very well could be that the developer is terrible and we shouldn't buy their games. Wonder why Nvidia would want their name on a title that runs like shit? Sure doesn't entice me to want to purchase it and play at 33 fps. Maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but that's my opinion.

Well here's all I can say.

1) my GTX 670 SLI machine runs this game like crap. Settings very high, normal Tess, Advanced PhysX, No AA at 1600 x 1200. Card utilization is pathetic, around 35%, frame rate is all over the place. using 320.14 loaded them twice, clean install of drivers. I'm not sure what the deal is. This machine is generally very steady, and can run most games in Surround, maybe it isn't well optimized for SLi yet? A single GTX 670 is pretty smooth but lags like hell in heavy action.

2) my 7970 Crossfire runs the same settings minus PhysX, in EyeFinity 5760 x 1200 at 45-50 FPS, with utilization of roughly 65%. Drivers 13.5 beta2, clean install and the latest patched version on steam. Game runs pretty smooth, not noticeable slow down in heavy action.

Back