Auria EQ276W review ($399 27" 2560x1440 IPS)

Not necessarily replacing the board, I was thinking along the lines of buying picking up a 120hz from Korea (some available on Ebay ATM) and selling this one. From my understanding the jury is still out on if this board is replaceable or not. I would love for that to be the case - it would only cost about 200 to replace the board I imagine.

Not necessarily replacing the board, I was thinking along the lines of buying picking up a 120hz from Korea (some available on Ebay ATM) and selling this one. From my understanding the jury is still out on if this board is replaceable or not. I would love for that to be the case - it would only cost about 200 to replace the board I imagine.

Still waiting on an answer form Overlord whether the PCBs will work or not, the OC monitors on ebay are not real, they accept the refresh rate but still run a 60Hz.

I did a ton of research on the ebay the stuff and would only buy from two sellers, neither of which are selling fake OC models.

Edit: Sorry my mistake, green-sum is selling OC monitors which are more likely the real deal...at a hefty price tag of $879.

It is pretty steep, but id almost be willing to deal with it for the sake of avoiding waiting list hell.

It is pretty steep, but id almost be willing to deal with it for the sake of avoiding waiting list hell.

You gonna keep your Auria ? or try adding a PCB or spend the big bucks.

I think I'm going to try and add a PCB when I can afford it.

Took the plunge and bought one from MC online. I'll try to post my thoughts after a week of burn in or so...

The news I've been waiting for, this is the email I got back from Overlord

It looks like it should work fine according to the panel specs. Of course, we cannot guarantee that everything will be an easy drop in replacement. But we didn’t see any technical reason why these wouldn’t work

I will be getting one of their PCB's as soon as my tax refund comes in.

Just ordered 2 for work. Can't stand all these god damn 27" 1080p "HD" screens. Drives me nuts.

Thanks. The LM270WQ2-SLA1 looks like a similar 10-bit panel as the one used on the Dell U2711. Probably the same very aggressive AG coating too.
I stopped by Microcenter the other day, they had one hooked up in the Mac department. Not only does it have the AG coating, it is also a wide-gamut panel with CCFL backlighting, just like the u2711. The gamut issues (grossly oversaturated primary colors, overly orange skin tones, and other unpleasantries) are a pain to deal with and the CCFL is a step backward IMHO. I didn't spend a ton of time tweaking, but I did play with it some in both hardware and the OSX calibration tool, and could not get it looking as good as the Apple monitor sitting next to it (overlooking the wide-gamut-ness.) It seemed like there was something lacking in the black levels - maybe it's the AG, I don't know, but it just seemed -off- somehow. Given that it is a u2711 panel, but doesn't come with the Dell Ultrasharp factory calibration, it seems questionable as to one could really get this thing adjusted properly.

Suffice to say, the matte version has absolutely nothing in common with the glossy version, other than resolution and the hardware menus.

RIP glossy Auria. :(

Well, that explains why my father has mentioned that it takes a while to warm up. That confused me as I have the glossy and it most certainly is LED backlit, and thus instantly bright. I got mine in late December while he got his the end of February and it has the AG coating, as I expected it to have. Perhaps I'll have to compare the two at some point, if I bring mine to their house. I knew they were different monitors but I didn't know they were that different.

I stopped by Microcenter the other day, they had one hooked up in the Mac department. Not only does it have the AG coating, it is also a wide-gamut panel with CCFL backlighting, just like the u2711. The gamut issues (grossly oversaturated primary colors, overly orange skin tones, and other unpleasantries) are a pain to deal with and the CCFL is a step backward IMHO. I didn't spend a ton of time tweaking, but I did play with it some in both hardware and the OSX calibration tool, and could not get it looking as good as the Apple monitor sitting next to it (overlooking the wide-gamut-ness.) It seemed like there was something lacking in the black levels - maybe it's the AG, I don't know, but it just seemed -off- somehow. Given that it is a u2711 panel, but doesn't come with the Dell Ultrasharp factory calibration, it seems questionable as to one could really get this thing adjusted properly.

Suffice to say, the matte version has absolutely nothing in common with the glossy version, other than resolution and the hardware menus.

RIP glossy Auria. :(
welp looks like my needs to buy another one of the glossy ones is now next to impossible, crossing my fingers this one doesn't die.... Gonna have to look for an alternative this summer when i get a second display (microcenter in santa clara is gooooooooooooneeeee :( )

I've had mine for about a month now, and I absolutely love it. It took me a couple of days to get use to (I had a 22" before). I also upgraded the stand to the dell once, which made a huge difference.

what? Can the dell one fit on it? Can you take a photo showing the back? not at home now but I don't remember them being similar

My Auria arrived today. It's definitely not an LED backlight, and it has the matte/AG screen as well.

Not a single dead/stuck pixel, but the right side of the screen has a pink hue to it, mostly noticeable on white/gray backgrounds.

Black levels confuse me though. It looks dark grey, and the contrast setting doesn't change that. However, if I turn on the DCR, or change the "ECO" setting(whatever that is) the black levels get much better without turning down the backlight, but it makes the contrast way too extreme.

I'm on the fence about sending it back as defective. I don't want a restocking fee, but the pink hue on the right, and poor black levels bother me.

Last edited:
well, took apart the backing plate from my dell 2407 WFP and then the backing plate for the auria. They are not compatible at all. Would require some welding or drilling to make them work together. On the positive side I did find that the auria mount has a second set of screw holes on the plate, so the monitor can be raised an inch. You can't use the plastic backer over the plate but it makes the height workable.

Picked one of these up at MC in Patterson, NJ yesterday and hooked it up last night. This replaces an eight year old Dell 2405. AG finish. Bought for gaming and I generally play in a dark room. Using the DVI connection. It got the 2560x1440 resolution out of the box and no issues seeing bios post at startup.

No dead pixels that I can see. No strange glow or back lighting that I can see either. Tinkered with the OSD for a while. It's adequate but I focused more on the NVIDIA Control Panel options. Yes, the stand is "sturdy enough" and it's only fractionally lower than where I had my 2405. May replace it with a Monoprice.

Colors are vibrant. I wanted an Overlord OC originaly but after recently purchasing a GTX 690 and with shipping the Overlord, it was going to be a bit out of my budget. (I have a kid in college and another right behind him...and I live in a pricey suburb in NJ outside of Manhattan if you catch my drift.) Very happy with this thing and seems like a steal of a good buy. But if I have complaints, you'll hear it here first!

Got mine yesterday. Not glossy so I assume AG but it doesn't bother me at all. I don't notice any input lag. Been playing WvWvW in Guild Wars 2 and no ghosting or anything noticeable. It has one dead pixel I found but it's not jumping out at me and I have to search for it to see it. The panel is exceptional besides this one flaw which I assume is what kept it from being an A grade panel. No backlight bleeding that I can see. This is my first IPS so the vivid colors jumped out at me at first, but after calibration everything seems perfect. I don't plan on returning it over the one dead pixel. Really digging 1440p, and my 3570k+7870 has taken the change quite well.

Somebody mentioned above the AG model isn't LED? It says it is on the box; how exactly would I tell?

Hey guys, I have a Catleap Q270 LED (I got it back in June for $320). It's the one with no input other than a DVI and audio jack, although it has no speakers. I love my Catleap, but I'm thinking about maybe selling it and replacing it with an Auria EQ276W. Glossy version, I don't want the AG coating one (although I heard those are the only ones they've been coming out with. According to the website, there are a few Aurias at my local Microcenter, open box (but includes everything) and no dead pixels for $340. Since they are open box, maybe I'll get lucky and find a glossy one. I won't consider a matte one, since I here there are some huge differences between the two. Okay so why an Auria?

My friends finally convinced me to get a PS3 (I'm still a PC gamer and want a Korean IPS) so I can play with them, but my current Catleap wouldn't display 1080p on a PS3 at all and 720p horribly, due to the lack of a scalar. Also, it only has one input. The reason I am looking at just the Aurias and not other brands is because, having seen the new prices for these monitors, I really don't want to pay a lot more than what I originally bought it for. Also, having a warranty at my local Microcenter is infinitely better than having to ship it back to Korea.

Of course I'd have to check them out first before I buy, but my plan is to pick one up that seems in good condition, take it home and calibrate it, and compare to my Catleap. Then I can take it back, no questions asked to get a refund correct? That's how it works?

But before I even go, I'd like to ask a few questions if you'd care to answer them :)

1.) Anyone know how to glossy Auria picture quality compares to the Catleaps? I understand that they are the same panel, but there has to be some difference in the picture after calibration right? What about input lag (because of more ports)?

2.) I've found no definitive answer to this, but can this monitor definitely display PS3 games at 1080p, and still look as good as good as if I was using a native 1080p monitor? I've searched the thread, but found no definitive answer if it could without upscaling and looking bad, or only at 720p.

3.) How do you tell the difference between a glossy and AG Auria? I heard somewhere that the glossy's have handles on the boxes. I also heard they are now extremely hard to find.

I appreciate it guys, I just want to make sure this is the monitor I need, before I get into the hassle of checking it out and buying it ;)

For those who own or have seen the newer, AG variant in-person: is it nasty, overzealous AG along the lines of the U2410 or ZR24w, or more subtle like the U2713HM?

well, took apart the backing plate from my dell 2407 WFP and then the backing plate for the auria. They are not compatible at all. Would require some welding or drilling to make them work together. On the positive side I did find that the auria mount has a second set of screw holes on the plate, so the monitor can be raised an inch. You can't use the plastic backer over the plate but it makes the height workable.

This is the stand I used. I had to use the adapter with it to make it works. Its amazing though!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dell-E-...=US_Monitor_Mounts_Stands&hash=item5653766b7c

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
1.) Anyone know how to glossy Auria picture quality compares to the Catleaps? What about input lag (because of more ports)?

2.) I've found no definitive answer to this, but can this monitor definitely display PS3 games at 1080p, and still look as good as good as if I was using a native 1080p monitor?

3.) How do you tell the difference between a glossy and AG Auria? I heard somewhere that the glossy's have handles on the boxes. I also heard they are now extremely hard to find.

1) I don't know that anyone has compared them side by side. I have the Auria (glossy) and an HP ZR2740w - they look virtually identical besides the AG on the HP. If the Catleap is the same panel I wouldn't expect it to look any different. Don't know about input lag personally, seems like people have commented that there is maybe a frame of lag but it doesn't bother them.

2) It downsamples really well to 1080. No, it isn't going to look like native, but it is pretty darn good imho.

3) Yes, glossy has a handle on top. Though I thought I saw a post where a guy found a glossy in a newer style box, so who knows.

Then I can take it back, no questions asked to get a refund correct? That's how it works?
Yep it's that easy. But at this point I really doubt you will find a glossy one, even open box. You've got nothing to lose, just verify the return period - sometimes open box are shorter.

thanks man, picked one up. amazon has the same for 32 after shipping, this was 25 with free shipping :)

There are a few sellers on eBay offering the dell stand with best offer option, I was able to get one for $19 shipped. Great stand, very well made and super durable.

When a monitor has multiple connections as this one it will have lag. As it has HDMI, VGA, DVI and Display Port. And some people notice lag more then others. If there is something specific you would like tested post a reply.

I had a glossy version of this monitor and didn't notice any input lag on BF3. I used DP cable if it matters. Unfortunately, I had to return the monitor due to multiple stuck/dead pixels. I don't have a MC store in my area and monitor was OOS at the moment when I returned it, so I grabbed a asrock extreme6 mobo and 3770k instead.

I had a glossy version of this monitor and didn't notice any input lag on BF3. I used DP cable if it matters. Unfortunately, I had to return the monitor due to multiple stuck/dead pixels. I don't have a MC store in my area and monitor was OOS at the moment when I returned it, so I grabbed a asrock extreme6 mobo and 3770k instead.

This is what I wanted to know. I'm coming from a Catleap with just 1 DVI port. I don't notice any lag in games whatsoever on my Catleap, but if I do find a glossy Auria I will report back how it looks and if there's any input lag as opposed to my Catleap.

This is what I wanted to know. I'm coming from a Catleap with just 1 DVI port. I don't notice any lag in games whatsoever on my Catleap, but if I do find a glossy Auria I will report back how it looks and if there's any input lag as opposed to my Catleap.

it's pretty much much impossible to find a glossy Auria these days, I believe they all have AG coating. The rule of thumb is: handle to carry - glossy, two cutoffs on the side - matte

Got Matte version on Saturday from Tustin,CA Microcenter. Monitor is great for the price. Zero dead pixel and min. light bleeing. However, I am new to wide gaumet monitor, and over saturated red is bit too much. Does anyone have good color profile or setting? I played with color setting, but whenever I do, either color looks too washed out or off :(

just got mine from MC in kansas yesterday - it was a return so it was $300 - it's glossy and led lit, the initial auria splash screen can be seen from the moon

amazing viewing angles on this thing - i ran it in portrait for awhile and was impressed with how well it handled being upright

amazing display so far, i've played diablo 3, tomb raider and metro 2033 - all worked flawlessly (well except for the fact that my 560ti isn't enough grunt for 3.6 million pixels)

i also like the fact that i can get peace of mind for $70 for the next few years from MC

Got Matte version on Saturday from Tustin,CA Microcenter. Monitor is great for the price. Zero dead pixel and min. light bleeing. However, I am new to wide gaumet monitor, and over saturated red is bit too much. Does anyone have good color profile or setting? I played with color setting, but whenever I do, either color looks too washed out or off :(

Please read through this thread, there are custom setting for this monitor (a spyder color profile and custom color settings) in the beginning. Pages 4-6. Search for it:)

Please read through this thread, there are custom setting for this monitor (a spyder color profile and custom color settings) in the beginning. Pages 4-6. Search for it:)

I thought those were for glossy Auria. Well wouldn't hurt to try it. I'll give it a shot :) Thanks!

I thought those were for glossy Auria. Well wouldn't hurt to try it. I'll give it a shot :) Thanks!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that still should be the same display just with AG coating on it, those setting should work just fine

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that still should be the same display just with AG coating on it, those setting should work just fine
No, the new ones have a wide gamut CCFL panel, which has nothing in common with the original glossy version.

However, I am new to wide gaumet monitor, and over saturated red is bit too much. Does anyone have good color profile or setting? I played with color setting, but whenever I do, either color looks too washed out or off :(
You aren't really going to get there with hardware settings, your software needs to understand it is dealing with a wide gamut panel. Firefox can do it (google it,) photoshop can, beyond that you probably just have to put up with it.

If you happen to be running a Radeon card, in the CCC panel under color temp there is a setting for "use EDID" (extended display data) - that makes a huge difference for wide gamut in my experience. (In fact if you -don't- have a Radeon, I would recommend borrowing/ buying one from somewhere with a decent return policy to try out and see if it helps.)

You aren't really going to get there with hardware settings, your software needs to understand it is dealing with a wide gamut panel. Firefox can do it (google it,) photoshop can, beyond that you probably just have to put up with it.

If you happen to be running a Radeon card, in the CCC panel under color temp there is a setting for "use EDID" (extended display data) - that makes a huge difference for wide gamut in my experience. (In fact if you -don't- have a Radeon, I would recommend borrowing/ buying one from somewhere with a decent return policy to try out and see if it helps.)

Happened to have Radeon card. So I treid EDID. It seemed like it's making warmer color. At the end of it all, I decide to use the 'Normal' with lowered brightness. Normal factory's white looked 'WHITE' compared all the other setting i've tired.

I guess i'll just need to get used to the wide gamut monitor. It's still a lot better than my old TN panel for sure :)

Went to Microcenter today, found what may be the last 2 glossy Aurias in existence. The one with the opened box was in pretty bad shape (they're both open box, just one of them had the box already open):

8572188293_e66ee9e8be_b.jpg

Here's what it looked like when I pulled the better one out of the box at Microcenter:
8572187935_323b15171a_b.jpg

and after I cleaned it with a wet paper towel:
8572187531_2ec1969410_b.jpg

So I bought it. This Auria is really nice!!! Despite a few small scratches to the bezel, I don't see any cosmetic damages to the screen, no dead or stuck pixels, and it powers on fine. Monster power brick that gets hot though, and when I turn it on I hear a slight chirp sound, something to do with the electricity. Nothing seems wrong with it however, the cahsier told me it was returned from the manufacturer? Now I'm going to test it and see how it looks compared to my catleap. I assume that this is the original glossy version, so the color calibration earlier in this thread applies to this monitor? The panel is the same as my Catleap and not that of the U2711 (on the newer matte Aurias) correct?

If you did not see my earlier post, I am interested in this Auria because I can hook up a PS3 to it (where my Catleap only has 1 DVI port, no speakers, no scalar), the Auria has all of this. They should be the same panel, however I am a little worried about the input lag in the Auria due to having more inputs.

Edit: some pics are in They're kind of poor quality in low light conditions, so forgive me if they aren't accurate looking. For each screen I switched the color profile. For the Auria I used one in this thread. For the Catleap I used the D65 profile in the Catleap thread.

Backlight Bleed:
Catleap:
8573607986_9fc5081975_b.jpg

Auria (not sure if there's a ton of backlight bleed or it's just that much brighter than my Catleap):
8573608018_5993010317_b.jpg

White screen
Catleap (you cant see it but there is one dead pixel a little up and to the right of the center):
8573687598_c226ec2e44_b.jpg

Auria (no dead pixels!):
8573584358_3ab9004f11_b.jpg

Gradient

Catleap:
8572542505_c557a83c51_b.jpg

Auria:
8572498107_c31b0bafa5_b.jpg

HD Picture comparison (skewed maybe? phone camera, bad lighting)

Catleap:
8573602182_eaedb0cfa6_h.jpg

Auria:
8573603160_0e3a5a6a5a_h.jpg

Catleap:
8573604394_70e0e42312_h.jpg

Auria:
8572513543_c19f346d76_h.jpg

Catleap:
8573656562_e93b1ce6c2_h.jpg

Auria:
8572564357_0aaed365f0_h.jpg

Again I'm so sorry if the photos are to bad to discern the differences. I'm not a photographer at all, this was taken on my GS3 at 8pm, so like I said it might not be accurate :( I just wanted to get some preliminary pictures though. With that said, can you notice a difference?

Tonight I have no more time, tomorrow I will test the input lag in gaming. But if I record both monitors side by side in game and upload it somewhere, will the input lag still stand out if there's any? I hope you guys have enjoyed reading this :)

Last edited:
Went to Microcenter today, found what may be the last 2 glossy Aurias in existence. The one with the opened box was in pretty bad shape (they're both open box, just one of them had the box already open)
Funny, I picked up a glossy/open box at my local Microcenter (MN) yesterday. I thought I got the last one ever. ;) Last thing I need but couldn't resist, it is in perfect shape, plastic wrap still on the bezel. Maybe I'll finally sell my HP 30" now.

Based on the extra labels I'm thinking maybe they processed a batch of web returns and sent them out to the stores? So it might be a good time for others to check. Online inventory shows open box stuff and seems to be pretty accurate (though they can't always track the stuff down.)

I will say the panel looks noticeably different than my first one - brightness/contrast settings have to be quite different to get them to look comparable; tweaked color temp on the new one as well. So I'm not sure how useful someone else's color settings are going to be for any given panel.

Funny, I picked up a glossy/open box at my local Microcenter (MN) yesterday. I thought I got the last one ever. ;) Last thing I need but couldn't resist, it is in perfect shape, plastic wrap still on the bezel. Maybe I'll finally sell my HP 30" now.
Funny, I saw an open box for $279 in MC/Saint Paul, I asked my sister in law to pick it up for me since I live in Green Bay, WI. She paid for it online and came to get it, but monitor was gone already for some reason. They gave her a brand new one for $300 and its a new matte one, waiting for her to bring it this weekend. I didn't really like a glossy screen, I wonder how different a matte model is going to be:)

Funny, I saw an open box for $279 in MC/Saint Paul, I asked my sister in law to pick it up for me since I live in Green Bay, WI. She paid for it online and came to get it, but monitor was gone already for some reason. They gave her a brand new one for $300 and its a new matte one, waiting for her to bring it this weekend. I didn't really like a glossy screen, I wonder how different a matte model is going to be:)
Yeah, I saw that one last week, it had a tag on it saying it had dead/stuck pixels. I was going to try to get them to plug it in, but it was kind of a mad house at the time and when I stopped back later it was gone. The 30% off would have been nice. Anyway, nice score on the discounted matte, hope you like it.

The customer service is just unreal there - I've had that happen before with a web order for an open box; they can't find it and just give you a new one at a discount. They take back anything and everything without batting an eye. And the processor/mobo combo deals...

Back