ATI vs Nvidia in the current market?

t4keheart

Weaksauce
I recently posted in the cpu sub with a similar question, now I'de like to know about gpu's...

Basically, it's been 15 years since I've purchased components to assemble a pc... well it's tax time and I'm due for a new toy.
Where does the current gpu market sit these days? I know nvidia has the new RTX line, is that the hottest thing right now? What's up with ati/radeon?
What's the best bang-for-your-buck option from each offering?

Thanks for the input

RTX is the best with 2080 Ti, best midrange buy I'd say is EVGA RTX 2060 KO for $300. I'd probably avoid AMD right now with their 5700 series until they sort out their drivers but once they do, it's solid. If you go above 2060, then the 2070 Super is a decent buy. At this point though, i wouldn't recommend AMD at all.

If all you care about is 1080p 60fps gaming then a 1660 super is a very good choice.

well, I run my displays at 2560x1440, but like I said I currently use a simple store-bought HP with an i5, 2gb POS video card, and 16gb of RAM... which basically does everything I need it to do... I don't game all that often but appreciate having the capability to do so... so I generally go for the medium-high option when choosing components. I play some new games but it seems most of the stuff I play (mtg arena mostly) runs just fine on my current setup... so I'm sure any sort of upgrade would do me well.

I find that everytime I build a pc (I've probably put together maybe 4 or 5 over the years), I spend around $1500

i'm a big fan of Tom's hardware graphics hierarchy for people who don't follow the hardware too closely. You can see what's on par with what (generally speaking) from the oldest to the newest stuff.

Not you have to jump two tiers to make a reasonable difference on upgrades.

Scroll half way down or so till you get to the chart.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

You've waited 15 years... the best think you could do right now is wait a few more months. Both AMD and Nvidia have a new round of GPUs coming out soon. Rumors suggest AMD could be announcing as early as March, and the general assumption is more like May for Nvidia.

Nvidia's RTX cards are certainly the performance champs right now, but you pay dearly for it. If AMD comes out with something comparable to Nvidia's current high end, it should at least drive the cost down for that level of performance. Nvidia is likely to remain the performance king, and the price king as well. In any case, right now is a very poor time to buy a new GPU.

Also, it would be really helpful to have a price range and intended use. Best bang for buck isn't universal, you'll find that the best product or manufacturer will change based on the price and performance you're looking to attain.

You've waited 15 years... the best think you could do right now is wait a few more months. Both AMD and Nvidia have a new round of GPUs coming out soon. Rumors suggest AMD could be announcing as early as March, and the general assumption is more like May for Nvidia.

Nvidia's RTX cards are certainly the performance champs right now, but you pay dearly for it. If AMD comes out with something comparable to Nvidia's current high end, it should at least drive the cost down for that level of performance. Nvidia is likely to remain the performance king, and the price king as well. In any case, right now is a very poor time to buy a new GPU.

Also, it would be really helpful to have a price range and intended use. Best bang for buck isn't universal, you'll find that the best product or manufacturer will change based on the price and performance you're looking to attain.

Yeah I'm in no rush to buy a gpu... I just now started thinking about it. When I buy components for a build, I usually spend ~$1500. I'm a software dev, don't run super heavy games all that often but I enjoy having the capability to run any game I choose. Don't care about having 60+ fps every second running everything on max, but I do like the ability to play any game comfortably. Don't care about bragging rights or what has the highest clock speeds etc.... just like a nice system that I can use for whatever I feel like doing, might run a couple vms, etc.

Yeah I'm in no rush to buy a gpu... I just now started thinking about it. When I buy components for a build, I usually spend ~$1500. I'm a software dev, don't run super heavy games all that often but I enjoy having the capability to run any game I choose. Don't care about having 60+ fps every second running everything on max, but I do like the ability to play any game comfortably. Don't care about bragging rights or what has the highest clock speeds etc.... just like a nice system that I can use for whatever I feel like doing, might run a couple vms, etc.

Are you planning to run a high resolution (ultrawide or 4k)? If not, you'll probably be very well served by whatever fills the $300-$400 space in the next few months.

Nope, just a 27 inch at 2550(?)x1440... but I do like having the option to add a second monitor should I choose to. But that does sound about accurate with the price range... that's right around where I'm always at when buying gpu's price wise.

if your a set and forget type of diyer then Nvidia 2070 super and be done. 4-6 months before the next gen Nvidia product.

AMD has nothing to compete in that space yet. Solid low and non-rtx offerings from AMD, but if your doing this as a 15 yr pc, get rtx from nvidia even with the 2060 series

if your a set and forget type of diyer then Nvidia 2070 super and be done. 4-6 months before the next gen Nvidia product.

AMD has nothing to compete in that space yet. Solid low and non-rtx offerings from AMD, but if your doing this as a 15 yr pc, get rtx from nvidia even with the 2060 series
lol, well- once my machine is where I want to to be, I'm pretty set-and forget... I won't upgrade it again until it's time to build a new one.. so I try to get all the parts I want on the first go.
I mean, I'm not still using a 15 year old computer... I have a new computer, but it's the first time in 15 years I've put one together from components. Currently have a macbook and a linux box. Getting the itch to hop back on steam.

How beefy is your Linux box? I find that Steam and Linux are not mutually exclusive (see sig).

The only price range I would recommend an AMD GPU at at this point is in the sub-$200 range for the old RX 570-590 8GB cards, which are still a pretty killer value IMO. I got my son a RX 570 8 GB for like $140 for Christmas 2018 and it still runs most games at high IQ 1080P great. Otherwise for anything faster, I would go Nvidia if just for RTX and DLSS support, which I have appreciated plenty already on the few games that support them on my 2080. The 2060 Super can run Wolfenstein YB at 4K 60 with RTX and DLSS enabled and it looks just as good (if not better in some cases) than native 4k, which blew me away and was pretty damn impressive IMO. You can bet that Doom Eternal will support them just as well since they're on the same engine and by the same dev.

The only price range I would recommend an AMD GPU at at this point is in the sub-$200 range for the old RX 570-590 8GB cards, which are still a pretty killer value IMO. I got my son a RX 570 8 GB for like $140 for Christmas 2018 and it still runs most games at high IQ 1080P great. Otherwise for anything faster, I would go Nvidia if just for RTX and DLSS support, which I have appreciated plenty already on the few games that support them on my 2080. The 2060 Super can run Wolfenstein YB at 4K 60 with RTX and DLSS enabled and it looks just as good (if not better in some cases) than native 4k, which blew me away and was pretty damn impressive IMO. You can bet that Doom Eternal will support them just as well since they're on the same engine and by the same dev.

This right here.

If you dont game much, I would just buy something like an RX 580 or 590 for around $100 to dip your toes into gaming, good enough to play anything out there (albeit, lowered settings) without breaking the bank.

Its been so long, you might not even find a game that you like. Or you might find a game, and its not even graphically taxing, and you have an expensive GPU to play something an old potato can run no problem.

Once you find the need to upgrade, then upgrade on actual need with an actual performance goal. It will keep you from spending more than you need to.

I am still currently using a used R9 Nano card that I bought last year, playing the new Modern Warfare game, and it suits me just fine, since I probably play a handful of times a month.

Go with the RTX 2060 KO, an AMD 3700X, any Gigabyte or Asus X570 Motherboard, 16-32gb DDR4, a Corsair RM 750x PSU, a Samsung 970 Pro M.2 drive for around $1200, then get any case you desire and you’ll have a great PC build for quite a few years.

If the drivers were solid amd 5700xt would be a good choice but drivers need to be solid for my money

Can't suggest GPU's without knowing the system specs (CPU, MoBo and DDR4 Memory).

The best bang for the buck with AMD is the vanilla 5700. It flashes easily to the XT bios and then it unlocks the artificial power limits allowing near XT performance for $50 less money. I have had zero driver issues with a X570 chipset motherboard. YMMV though. I had a 2080 Super, sold it, and went back to the 5700. The 2080 was double the cost and had maybe 15-20% more performance at 1440p. I was looking for a bigger bump personally for ~$600. I also had a 1660Ti, 2060, 2060 Super, and 5700XT recently, and I ended up keeping the 5700.

If you're looking sub-$150, a used RX 580 is tough to beat. Several 8GB versions for sale in the forums for $100-110. A RX 590 was like $130.

This really is a poor time to be looking to buy a brand new GPU as it's almost time for refreshes.

They still label their parts internally as ATI technologies from what I've seen.
That would be hilarious considering a power tool company snapped up the name in 2008 after ATi Technologies, Inc. went defunct in 2006.

http://atihitech.com/about/

1583271934078.png

Reactions: Auer
like this
I have 3 systems all AMD / Radeon .. my 3600 / RX 5700 is pretty sound

YouTube does not like big files so part 2 of above ,

I really wanted new AMD GPUs to work out but holy cow I feel like I’m back in 2012 waiting months and months for stable drivers. I’ve been trying to get my buddy’s computer stable playing destiny 2 with a 5700xt for weeks now. We will make a change and think it’s fine for a week or so then it’s crashing daily again.

How sure are you that AMD will have new cards announced in March? It's now half-way through the month. Any insight as to these cards replacing existing models or else going to the high end of the market?

I'm asking because right now I'm buying the parts for my next build, including an AMD 5600 XT (not sure yet which vendor/model). But if something better becomes availabe in the next month or two, I just I would just reuse the GPU from my old rig for now.

Back