ATI R600 Confirmations on Size and Power

Wow...stupidly long and more hungry...

It better be at least 30% better than the G80 to even be considered...most people will have to upgrade their cases for this...and the SFF club had some hard time with the G80...no chance with this.

HOLY SHIT!!!!

thats 300watts max load for the r600. I can run at least one on my hx520. who needs SLI anyway

Wow...stupidly long and more hungry...

It better be at least 30% better than the G80 to even be considered...most people will have to upgrade their cases for this...and the SFF club had some hard time with the G80...no chance with this.

(laughs uncontrollably) WOW! That is N U T S!!!!!

I run an ATX-modded X-Qpack, I can fit an 8800GTS barely, and could technically fit a GTX by a hairsbreadth if I really worked at it. This card could be twice as powerful and it would be a no-sell to me as I'd have to move chasis types, replace my power supply with a beefier, super-expensive 1kwatt one, and then rebuild my whole system. So it takes nearly GTX-SLI level of power for a *single* card, huh? Just... :eek: ! Yeah, SFF'ers even in unmodded cases won't be able to really use this either. What are they thinking?

Wow those who were complaining about those who were complaining about size need to shut up now i think lol. Thats a big card.

As far as upgrading to that? F that. I wanna keep my good PSU...

Wow those who were complaining about those who were complaining about size need to shut up now i think lol. Thats a big card.

As far as upgrading to that? F that. I wanna keep my good PSU...

Yep... I have a Corsair HX520W which is awesome... it cost a good chunk of change, too, and is a quality supply. To even use a *single* one of these if I could fit it in my case, I would have to replace the power supply as well, and it's by no means a weak one. Talk about self-ownage to those who were complaining about those of us (including me) stating nearly-confirmed facts ;).

HOLY SHIT!!!!

thats 300watts max load for the r600. I can run at least one on my hx520. who needs SLI anyway

I doubt you could run one unless it was a minimal setup. 300watts for the graphics card alone, plus an overclocked (maybe even stock!) Core 2 Duo/Quad, a couple of drives, an optical, fans, sound card (X-Fi), and you're in trouble. This is just way out of whack.

...and suddenly the CM and Antec with two PSU's make so much more sense... :D

If it's really going to be 13.6" long, I may as well get my hands on an 8800GTX now...

However, if that is just the prototype, the PCB looks like the standard 9" long so watercooling might be an option.

FOR HEAVENS SAKE THIS IS THE OEM VERSION OF THE CARD. THE RETAIL ISNT GOING TO BE THIS LONG!!!!!!

Sorry about the caps, but people bitching about the size is getting irratating as all we seen is the OEM version with the extended heatsink.

FOR HEAVENS SAKE THIS IS THE OEM VERSION OF THE CARD. THE RETAIL ISNT GOING TO BE THIS LONG!!!!!!

Sorry about the caps, but people bitching about the size is getting irratating as all we seen is the OEM version with the extended heatsink.

Nope buddy, you're wrong... this is the retail apparrently:

HardOCP Thread Article said:
ATI is stating that 345mm / 13.6" will be the required space to fit the cards in a case. This figure is the card's 335mm physical length plus 10mm to properly install the card. A GeForce 8800 GTX is just under 11 inches longs while the 4 GPU 3dfx Voodoo 5 6000 comes in at 11.75 inches.

Nope buddy, you're wrong... this is the retail apparrently:

Im still holding my judgement. Call me stupid, optimistic whatever. That clearly looks like a OEM case with all those quick release rails, etc. It be stupid for them to release a card that long where its going to be a tight fit in alot of cases. They didnt specify what version of the card going to be 13.3in, so im holding my judgement to release.

As you can tell that is a server case, as those are most likely Opertons as I see 2 processors on that motherboard. I just cant see how they expect to sell this card where its going to cause alot of fitting trouble. I dont know many cases that are that long without bumping into the hard drive cage.

Im still holding my judgement. Call me stupid, optimistic whatever. That clearly looks like a OEM case with all those quick release rails, etc. It be stupid for them to release a card that long where its going to be a tight fit in alot of cases. They didnt specify what version of the card going to be 13.3in, so im holding my judgement to release.

As you can tell that is a server case, as those are most likely Opertons as I see 2 processors on that motherboard. I just cant see how they expect to sell this card where its going to cause alot of fitting trouble. I dont know many cases that are that long without bumping into the hard drive cage.

Also look at this pic of the card http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/images/ATIR600topBLOG.jpg , you can tell the fan goes way past the end of the PCB, I'm pretty sure the retail version would have a smaller fan.

Wow that thing won't fit in my case at all, my 8800GTX just fits I have to place the card in on a angle then straighten it out so it will fit. I bought a Silverstone 750watt PSU last year and it meets the requirements for a single R600 but I can run dual 8800GTX's no problem, man that is nuts. On a side note that I don't think was mentioned on the [H]ard AMD/ATI released their first intergrated graphics chipset. I wonder if this might be ATI's last entry for the enthusiast market the R600 has been delayed multiple times, insane power requirements, sheer size of the card, now they are making their own all in one motherboard/graphic chipsets.

Also look at this pic of the card http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/images/ATIR600topBLOG.jpg , you can tell the fan goes way past the end of the PCB, I'm pretty sure the retail version would have a smaller fan.

Yeah that is a server motherboard so they are also longer just in nature. Now when people are going to be adding this card to there ATX motherboards, thats where the problem comes in. I think the card we will be buying is going to be exactly that card minus the rear fan.

Damn! I knew i should've bought a beefier power supply when i had the chance. Now it looks like i'll have to buy another one.:mad:

Been waiting for the release of the R600 but now i findout it wont fit in my damn case if thats how damn big its gonna be =/

Same thing happened to me. I thought 700w would have been enough -- planned for 8800 SLI or Crossfire BUT looks like I HAVE to get SLI over crossfire now!
I wish I would have bought a 1kw PSU instead...well, not really that seemed incredibly retarded -- @ the time!

Yes, I would say that is an OEM R600 card. But still does not change the power requirments.

That is the OEM version of the card. It will only be available to manufacturers. This info has been around for a while now, I'm surprised none of you have kept up with it. The retail version of the card will be a little over 9 inches long. That article only gives you half of the info. The retail version will also require less power. Several different sites have reported on this already.

I'm not getting good vibes from ATI's recent announcements. Earlier the X2900 was starting to sound like the FX5800 Ultra, now it's starting to sound like the bloody PS3.

for the amount of power required it better be one beeeeeefy card and crush the 8800gtx.

I'm not getting good vibes from ATI's recent announcements. Earlier the X2900 was starting to sound like the FX5800 Ultra, now it's starting to sound like the bloody PS3.

How can you say something like that? We dont have any info on how powerful it is. We just know size and power requirements. Just because its power hungry, doesnt mean it isnt a beast. For all we know, it may stomp on the 8800 (not saying it is, but we never know).

That is the OEM version of the card. It will only be available to manufacturers. This info has been around for a while now, I'm surprised none of you have kept up with it. The retail version of the card will be a little over 9 inches long. That article only gives you half of the info. The retail version will also require less power. Several different sites have reported on this already.

I think you might have a bit of your facts wrong, but go with it. :)

As I look into the window of my case at my 8800 GTX I feel thankful I am out of the latest and greatest race for a while.

Ill believe it when I can go to the store and buy one. :rolleyes:

300W is just obscene.. I didn't think ATI could possibly be that stupid..

Oh well.. more crap for the Nvidia crowd to cheer about I guess.

For double the power requirement, it better do 2x the performance of the 8800GTX. Or I'm not buying one. Plain and simple.

But, I'm going to hold out and see what happens for the retail release. Too much is up in the air in regards to a product that isn't on the shelf. This is probably AMD/ATI's way of getting feedback to find out how much ridiculous requirements they can get away with before they put out a product that bombs worse than an Uwe Boll movie.

That is frankly, insane.

Even if you could get over the power hurdle, and if that is an OEM card, what kind of heat will that put out?

Honestly, even if they retail for $400, you'd still have to tack on at least another $200-$250 for a new PSU and maybe $150 for a better case and cooling fans. And I'm pretty sure it isn't going to retail that cheaply.

And I thought Microsoft and Sony were the only ones losing their minds, but no, the idiocy is spreading..

Eh, I think this is just Hard Fud.

You know how pro-Nvidia Kyle is.

And pro-AMD, but I'm betting that will change now that AMD owns ATI.

Anyways, it really doesn't matter if it uses 300 watts, if it also destroys the G80 in benchmarks. Which it probably would, if it uses 300 watts.

Anyways, I really think this is FUD. The long card is OEM and the 300 watts thing is probably a lie, I've generally read 200 watts for R600.

It's clear Kyle just dug for ways to bash ATI as he questioned the ATI personnel. Then he took two negative items and spotlighted them in this article for his agenda.

What Kyle should have focused on is the monster Teraflop power of this rig. Over double the Flops per card as G80. Let me promise you know, all those SLI guys that predominate on Hardocp will chuck their SLI rigs out the window faster than you can shake a stick for that kind of beef.

If enthusists cared about power consumption, Nvidia's power hog, EPA regulations pending, Al Gore hating, SLI wouldn't exist. It's that simple.

Actually I don't. That is what has been reported already. If the reports from the sources are incorrect then that is not my fault. Like I said, I'm surprised you guys are so in the dark about this. It was on several tech sites including Dailytech. If this site is your only outlet for info, then I guess that is the problem.

I am not using Dailytech as a source, but rather ATI documentation. And by the way, I own this site and reported the information. Dailytech and the Inq report as much right as they do wrong, so using them to hold up your arguments does not mean much to me.

Eh, I think this is just Hard Fud.

You know how pro-Nvidia Kyle is.

And pro-AMD, but I'm betting that will change now that AMD owns ATI.

Anyways, it really doesn't matter if it uses 300 watts, if it also destroys the G80 in benchmarks. Which it probably would, if it uses 300 watts.

Anyways, I really think this is FUD. The long card is OEM and the 300 watts thing is probably a lie, I've generally read 200 watts for R600.

It's clear Kyle just dug for ways to bash ATI as he questioned the ATI personnel. Then he took two negative items and spotlighted them in this article for his agenda.

Yeah, you got my number. FUD and personal bashing is the only way we have made it these last 8 or 9 years. ;)

Good luck fitting these in a 'normal' mid ATX case. extended ATX cases are the only type cases will fit these cards, and maybe a few full towers. SFF, micro, and mid towers can f*cking forget it.

What Kyle should have focused on is the monster Teraflop power of this rig. Over double the Flops per card as G80. Let me promise you know, all those SLI guys that predominate on Hardocp will chuck their SLI rigs out the window faster than you can shake a stick for that kind of beef.

If enthusists cared about power consumption, Nvidia's power hog, EPA regulations pending, Al Gore hating, SLI wouldn't exist. It's that simple.

You are one funny guy. Just make sure you don't get hit by one of those 10 pound 8800s you will see flying out the windows soon. ;)

And yeah, power means a lot to us, at least at some point....

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTIzMywsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

Oh that is a great article to read if you think I am an AMD fan=boy.

Back