ATI R600 Confirmations on Size and Power

I cannot believe that a n00bie had the cajones to make those claims to the EIC of the site, and then someone else jumps on the bandwagon and calls you biased??

Hello, you just did a review of a BFG PSU and found it lacking, said so, and you advertise their products on this site.

Okay, more people than ATI, Microsoft and Sony are losing their minds. I told you - it's spreading.

You didn't get all the info then obviously, otherwise why does everyone know more about it then you. This info was reported in January, why are you just posting the OEM info now? I'm not trying to bash you at all, but I'm just surprised as people have been talking about this for a while outside of this site.

Guess we are just a bit slow then ;) , but looking at DailyTech, I am not seeing any talk about teraflops or wattage, so I am good with what I posted. :) I post for my readers, not what has been said elsewhere, but I did go look since you mentioned it.

You didn't get all the info then obviously, otherwise why does everyone know more about it than you. This info was reported in January, why are you just posting the OEM info now? I'm not trying to bash you at all, but I'm just surprised as people have been talking about this for a while outside of this site.

I will probably go back to Nvidia if the 8900 GTX is going to be as good as they say it is. I have always used Nvidia. This is my first time with ATI. I'm glad I went with ATI though considering the failed Vista support from Nvidia.

I come to HardOCP because it reports the NEWS and the FACTS, not speculation.

At any rate, Kyle do you have any information if that is truly the OEM or retail sizes?

I cannot believe that a n00bie had the cajones to make those claims to the EIC of the site...

No biggy bro. It comes with the job. I try to do what is right by our readers. That is about it. :)

I did add the part about the pictures being OEM cards so people are not confused. Wattage should stay static though, unless ATI is going to sell a more powerful card to its OEM and not to the Enthusiasts.....don't think that is going to happen.

At any rate, Kyle do you have any information if that is truly the OEM or retail sizes?

As stated above, that IS the OEM card. Sorry I made an assumption when I posted it that everyone knew, which they obviously do not, so I changed the original post so that it is more clear.

Teraflops and the wattage is what is important.

Why thank you :p

/on topic:

Very long for a OEM (13.6" VERSION) card that will never see the light in RETAIL (9.5" VERSION).

yeah, I have yet to see the short reatail very with a cooler on it.....I can't imagine trying to dissapate 300 watts of heat out of there considering how hot the 8800s get pushing 165.

Why thank you :p

/on topic:

Very long for a OEM (13.6" VERSION) card that will never see the light in RETAIL (9.5" VERSION).

That's correct and why the manufacturers will be the only ones with the OEM version of the card. They will have to design their cases around that card. The retail version will fit fine in the current cases that people use.

The pic is an OEM card. It is only 1 slot. Can anyone confirm that the retail will be 9.5" long, for the DUAL Slot XT version?

That's correct and why the manufacturers will be the only ones with the OEM version of the card. They will have to design their cases around that card. The retail version will fit fine in the current cases that people use.

Not sure how many people know the OEM market but most modern OEM computers have support rails in the back of the case which fit perfectly with the new length of OEM card from AMD. This helps keep the card secure during shipping and hopefully for the life of the computer. Otherwords, it is very intentional..........

The larger fan also must help with the noise level too.

Just IMHO.

Thanks for the info Kyle. I trust your info more than websites that heard it from a cousin's hairdresser's sister that dates a guy that works at AMD/ATi. Yes other stories have reported 200W and such for a while, but they don't even say where the info came from.

But some always want to kill the messenger... even if it is Paul Revere...

WOW! that's a blast from the past. I haven't heard that accusation since the TNT2. Or was it pro-3dfx back then? Dang, I can't remember....

No, the pro-NVIDIA stuff is because of the favorable reviews and awards we have given to ATI products lately.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI2NSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
The PowerColor Radeon X1950 PRO Extreme 256 MB is a very competitive video card, when compared with the GeForce 7900 GS. Buyers concerned about noise can rest easy with this video card. It is just as quiet as the silent Zalman VF700-AlCu from our recent evaluation of a Gigabyte GeForce 7950 GT. If you want the best bang for your buck, the PowerColor Radeon X1950 PRO Extreme 256 MB is it.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI4NCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
The Sapphire Radeon X1950 GT can be had for $154.99 USD from Newegg, with a $10 mail-in rebate. This compares directly to what you can find a GeForce 7900 GS for. For this price the Sapphire Radeon X1950 GT is a tremendous value. This video card should easily make the mainstream video card consumer's short list of upgrade options.

Obviously anyone that suggests we have a preference due to some reason other than performance has their head planted firmly in their ass.

The pic is an OEM card. It is only 1 slot. Can anyone confirm that the retail will be 9.5" long, for the DUAL Slot XT version?

Looks like a dual slot cooler to me. The retail version is most likely going to look exactly like this card minus the rear fan.

So, I'm guessing the rumour that select sites are under NDA is false.

Isn't it still rumour that the retail card is 9.5"? If this hasn't been validated, why is everyone assuming this particular rumour is true (and using it as counter-ammunition)?

Sharky754 said:
If enthusists cared about power consumption, Nvidia's power hog, EPA regulations pending, Al Gore hating, SLI wouldn't exist. It's that simple.
Yikes.

Why would they build the OEM card that way if there wasn't an issue with heat and design? A high-end array controller, yes, because you need backup power for configuration and distater recovery, not to mention UWSCSI ports. But 3 extra inches of fan?

That article is misleading Kyle, you really should state whether the card is OEM and what the differences between the retail version might be.

If you read the thread and the article at the time you posted this, you will see that I have cleared that up completely. - Kyle

Not sure how many people know the OEM market but most modern OEM computers have support rails in the back of the case which fit perfectly with the new length of OEM card from AMD. This helps keep the card secure during shipping and hopefully for the life of the computer. Otherwords, it is very intentional..........

The larger fan also must help with the noise level too.

Just IMHO.

That's interesting. Which cases have that option? I wouldn't mind having a case like that for the future long cards.

The info may be premature, but according to ATI/AMD, the R600 is supposed to be their last "large" GPU card. The future R700 is supposed to have multiple small GPU's.

Yes, that used to be a standard in the industry. I had a few 64 PCIX cards that fit that but I have never seen a video card take advantage of that for a long time.

Or you can do like Gateway does, and just put huge brackets over them bolting them down! :eek:

And I would take a couple of pictures of server cases I have here with the rails he is referring to in them, but we rip them out when we build as they have no need for our configurations.

I am going to bed, have to get the kids to school in the morning as the wife is out of town. I will check this after morning meetings (about noon or before), so go ahead and give it to me with both barrels, I will be back to show you the error of your ways later. ;)

I sitll have a few old (and I mean old!) cases that had some card support slots in the front of the case on the fan cage. Those were used to hold the end of the card so they wouldn't flop around. Whew, talk about waxing nostalgic. :p

When will they just give is an AC/DC power converter brick to plug into the wall? I don't want to run the thing off of my PSU.

HOLY SHIT!!!!

thats 300watts max load for the r600. I can run at least one on my hx520. who needs SLI anyway

If this is true,I will be shocked !! It seems like a repeat of the QuadFather,and its needing a small nuclear plant to even boot it up....

So ATI fans need to buy an extra PSU and posssibly a bigger case as well ? It better incinerate the competition !! and I dont mean by 10 to 20% in canned banchies. :eek:

300 watts !?.... Did AMD learn nothing from the QuadFX launch ?

Even though we are talking about the OEM card, the 13.6" length is rather amazing. THE longest card I ever installed in a case was an old Roland LAPC-I sound card from back around 1990. That was a full-sized ISA card which, by the listed specs for ISA cards, would make it 13.2" long. Back then my Dell AT case had a small groove on the far side of the case to act as a guide and support for full-sized cards. Heh, I never thought I would see a card that long again.

If you have identical PSU's, can u set them up in X-Fire or SLI?

If thats truely the case (approx. 300 watt pull), thats going to punish even your 1Kw supplies (More than 3 high-capacity HD's, optical, sound card, fans, fans, water cooling, etc, etc) for high-end Xfire motherboards.

Performace is one thing, but to get a second mortage on your home in prep. for your upcoming electric bill.....?

Interesting how the trend in CPU is lower, more effecient power consumption vs. upcoming video technology.

With regards to size.. Who says that it doesn't matter (excluding my g/f)? :)

si0dine said:
Also many have been worried about the size of the new R600 video cards. ATI is stating that 345mm / 13.6" will be the required space to fit the cards in a case. (Yes, the retail version will be somewhat shorter, or at least that is what is told to us even though we have yet to see one.) This figure is the card's 335mm physical length plus 10mm to properly install the card

On another note, there is some potential confusion with the statement comparing ATI's power requirement to Nvidia's.

ATI is stating that a SINGLE R600 high end configuration will require 300 watts of power (+/-9%) and a DUAL R600 "CrossFire" high end configuration will require, as you might guess, 600 watts of power (+/-9%). Compare that to a loaded GeForce 8800 GTX that will pull 150 to 180 watts.

It could be taken that an SLI setup will pull 150-180w compared to a Crossfire's 550-650w. Granted, I know the difference, and a lot of people on this board will, but I'm sure there will be somebody who will get it wrong. :D

An external video card power supply would be awesome. It would save you from buying a new PSU every time a new GFX card comes out.

Although, I guess as long as mega powerful power supplies are still only like $60, it's not a big deal.

They already make seperate video card power supplies that go in your optical drive slots. Pretty nifty.

An external video card power supply would be awesome. It would save you from buying a new PSU every time a new GFX card comes out.

Although, I guess as long as mega powerful power supplies are still only like $60, it's not a big deal.

They already make seperate video card power supplies that go in your optical drive slots. Pretty nifty.

And where do you live? I've yet to see a decent "mega" (read as 750w+) powerful PSU for 60$. And no, Powmax doesn't count as decent.

One for system and one for gpu's....can you hear a big kaching for psu companies.

<lol> not to mention case manufactures.

I hope they do a review of the OCZ 1KW psu here. If it's not that great like the BFG then I will probably go with PC Power and Cooling.

And where do you live? I've yet to see a decent "mega" (read as 750w+) powerful PSU for 60$. And no, Powmax doesn't count as decent.

Well I guess I'll just have to pay extra for all that extra ATI powa I'll be enjoying.

I cant wait!

An external PCIe enclosure might not be a bad idea at this point. There could be two models, one with a single slot and a 350watt PSU for single cards, and another with dual x16 or x8 slots and a 700watt psu inside for Crossfire setups. :)

Imagine Quad SLI G80...nearly 800 watts.

You'll need a small external nuclear reactor to power Quad SLI G80...

Back