AT&T to Buy T-Mobile

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
AT&T reported today that it would be purchasing T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom for $39 Billion, cash and stock. This move will consolidate two of the four largest wireless companies in the US. The deal is expected to be closed within a year.

The agreement has been approved by the boards of both companies.

You can have everything your way in America, you can have 31 flavors of Baskin Robbins ice cream, and booger and root beer flavored jelly beans? Wireless telecommunications? There are now three major corporations handling this.

Great... less competition in the telco industry :rolleyes:

I wonder if the T-Mobile girl (aka Anne Hathaway's hot sister) comes with the deal. That girl is an 11 1/2.

UGH! Terrible news. Tmobile was one of the most willing to experiment and offer good deals of the four majors (without an employee discount), like letting you buy a phone unsubsidized and then giving you no contract service along with a monthly discount (since they didn't have to subsidize your phone). Not to mention eagerness to keep their network up to date what with 21Mbps HSPA+ and 42Mbps coming this or net year.

Meanwhile, AT&T never tries to offer unique plans like monthly discount bring your own phone, they prefer to cap you at ridiculously low data caps and charge you overages (Tmobile would throttle you past 5GB, but that's a far sight better than AT&T's 2GB), and using money to upgrade their network? HA!

im on t mobile. i wonder if my bill is going to go up or down now lol.

Oh, guess we know why AT&T has been putting the screw job to wireline and wireless customers lately trying to extract more money out of them. It isn't cheap to buy out your competition and eliminate choice.

ATT is going to call this a network upgrade even though its more of just an expansion. Way to not put anything into your own network again......ATT......man this sucks.

so does that mean Tmobile customers will be able to use iphone 4 now? ive been waiting for an unlock for several months lol

God damn it.... :( I'm on TMO Now and don't want to be with ATT :(

UGH! Terrible news. Tmobile was one of the most willing to experiment and offer good deals of the four majors (without an employee discount), like letting you buy a phone unsubsidized and then giving you no contract service along with a monthly discount (since they didn't have to subsidize your phone). Not to mention eagerness to keep their network up to date what with 21Mbps HSPA+ and 42Mbps coming this or net year.

Meanwhile, AT&T never tries to offer unique plans like monthly discount bring your own phone, they prefer to cap you at ridiculously low data caps and charge you overages (Tmobile would throttle you past 5GB, but that's a far sight better than AT&T's 2GB), and using money to upgrade their network? HA!

IN theory... it should be an "upgrade," though I'll reserve judgement until I see my own wireless speeds in my areas perk up.

UGH! Terrible news. Tmobile was one of the most willing to experiment and offer good deals of the four majors.

Agreed. I wonder how long I'll have before they kill my cheap T-Mobile plan.
Either AT&T or Verizon would cost me 60-70% more for the same service, with data caps instead of unlimited.

As a current T-Moblie subscriber this makes me severly disappointed I've had T-Mobile for over 8 years and I have never had any issues with them. I'm affraid to see what will happen when AT&T takes over especially when my contract comes is up next year.

BOOOO!!!

T-Mobile Pay As You go subscriber here. I spend maybe $100 - 150 a year for minutes and a $1.50 for 24 hours of data. I don't use it that much obviously and won't go to a monthly plan which will be anywhere fro $600 - 1000 a year. fump that.

Problem is, I can't find another "Pay As You" go type service..

thats how it is in Canada.. We only have 3 major companies aswell!

No offense, but when it comes to telecommunications (both wired and wireless) Canada is the exact polar opposite direction from where we should be heading for a free and fair market.

Agreed. I wonder how long I'll have before they kill my cheap T-Mobile plan.
Either AT&T or Verizon would cost me 60-70% more for the same service, with data caps instead of unlimited.

Having been through two wireless buyouts (Altell buying out Midwest Wireless and Verizon buying out Altell) I can say that the companies are pretty good with letting you stay grandfathered into your plan unless you sign a new contract or get a new phone. TMo and ATT are both GSM so theoretically if ATT is smart they will allow Tmo users to keep their current plans until they sign a contract or change phones. Still this is pretty surprising news. There has been news of Deutsche Telekom wanting to sell Tmo for a while now, but honestly I expected them to merge with a smaller company or get bought by one of the Canadian telecoms wanting to make a move into the US or something.

Having been through two wireless buyouts (Altell buying out Midwest Wireless and Verizon buying out Altell) I can say that the companies are pretty good with letting you stay grandfathered into your plan unless you sign a new contract or get a new phone. TMo and ATT are both GSM so theoretically if ATT is smart they will allow Tmo users to keep their current plans until they sign a contract or change phones. Still this is pretty surprising news. There has been news of Deutsche Telekom wanting to sell Tmo for a while now, but honestly I expected them to merge with a smaller company or get bought by one of the Canadian telecoms wanting to make a move into the US or something.

That's the problem, My contract isn't up until later in the year, so I either keep my current phone, or lose the good deal I have. My have to look at sprint again.

No way this receives regulatory approval, right? AT&T would be the only major GSM carrier in the whole country!

They'll probably let you stay in grandfathered T-Mobile plans, I don't see why they wouldn't Verizon lets alltel customers stay in their plans too, even when signing a new contract or getting a new phone. I imagine T-Mobile phones won't be able to be used on AT&T plans, but I'm sure AT&T phones can be used on T-Mobile plans.. thats how it works on Verizon/Alltel as well. T-Mobile users will be able to get iPhones now without JB or carrier unlocks too.. :p

No offense, but when it comes to telecommunications (both wired and wireless) Canada is the exact polar opposite direction from where we should be heading for a free and fair market.

Yah, I wouldn't recommend any country look to our Canadian Telecom market for ideas. Maybe on what not to do. lol

nodarthvaderg.jpg

BLOCK THIS!!!

I'm used to dealing with both companies for a business account/plan. AT&T for a landline/internet and T-mobile for a cellular plan.

There is a world of difference. AT&T will easily throw you under a bus every time. the only reason we have to use them is because no one else is allowed to run cables down to the office at the moment, though Bright House is trying.

The regulators will say uh no since the proposed network merger will create a de facto GSM monopoly within the United States. i do not see them going for this at all but hey they let sbc buy up all the baby bells and then at&t... so idk

Ive been without a cell phone, by choice for 2 months now and love it. Boo Hoo ... I dont get texts now, bfd. My 2$ a month skype works perfect for in-coming / out-going calls.

Ive been without a cell phone, by choice for 2 months now and love it. Boo Hoo ... I dont get texts now, bfd. My 2$ a month skype works perfect for in-coming / out-going calls.

Shut up, caveman, no one gives a shit about how much your life sucks. On the other hand, this merger is terrible for competition. Disastrous, really.

Wow, AT&T has been on a roll lately with all these big moves. I'd say "I wonder what they're up to", but I think it's obvious.

I promise you my life doesn't suck tweener. Emo rage more. Nahbrah for a name, really, you use "brah" seriously? jesus h christ.

This guy is using Brah, emo raging about his cell phone.

Yeah, point proven.

Damn, I was going to get the HTC Pyramid on T-M as my next phone. Now? Not so much... :(

I hope they don't take away the TMO prepaid plans.

there's no other provider that lets me keep 1000 minutes for 1 full year, and then allows rollover.

I used to be with ATT on a monthly plan, and we never used many minutes. I had shitloads of useless rollover minutes, wasting $75 per month, $900 per year.

that's why I switched to TMO prepaid. just $90 or less per phone, per year.

This buyout is nothing but bad news for the most part. I don't want to pay a monthly fee for phone service. But I wouldn't mind the better indoor reception of the 800mhz spectrum.

ATT is on a roll, fucking everything up in its path- broadband, wireless.

Back