AT&T to Buy T-Mobile

I was much happier when Sprint was rumored to be the one making this purchase....

ATT/Verizon shouldn't of been allowed to do this. :p

Customer: i'm going to unlock the iphone i just got for $300

AT&T: go ahead unlock your iphone. you'll still be paying us.

Warning on customer's phone: you've just surpassed your monthly data limit, you'll be charged $.35 for each additional minute.

I read that Verizon is also looking to purchase Sprint if this goes through.

I'm sure that's just press-speak for 'at first we're not changing anything, but just wait a few months...'.
Yeah, just like Daimler's purchase of Chrysler as a "merger of equals".

Bwahahahahaha!

Wow, I didn't realize how much those T-Mobile (Apple vs Mac) commercials with Carly Foukes got to ATT. I guess buying them out was the best revenge. :p

I've had StraightTalk before, and I can assure you that there are no GSM phones on it, CDMA only. You may be thinking about Net10/Tracfone, which use a combination of CDMA/GSM.

StraightTalk is a very bad idea for heavy users. If they deem that you have 'excessive usage', which is undefined, they can terminate your service, with no credits/refunds. 'Unlimited' is not unlimited with them.

No, I am quite sure that I am correct on that one. You see, this is exactly what I have, and I have it in my iPhone(Nokia E71 Straight Talk SIM moved to iPhone). StraightTalk USED to be CDMA only, but now they offer GSM as well.

As for excessive use, so far most people that get phone calls telling them to tone it down are around the 5GB mark anyways.

Specifically the following phones are GSM phones from Straight Talk:
LG 420G
LG 620G
Samsung T255G
Samsung T404G
Samsung T401G
Nokia E71
Nokia 6790

The two Nokia phones have a normal AT&T SIM card, the other models have a specialized SIM card. The reason for this is that Straight Talk never made their AirTank software for the Symbian platform. Because of this, after activation, you can take the SIM from the Nokia phones and use it in any other GSM phone. You cannot do the same with the other phones.

I renewed my contract earlier this year, so does that mean my t-mo contract will be null and void and I can switch to Verizon or something? I never liked t-mo but they are less bad than at&t lol, main reason for staying was that most of the people I talk to on a regular basis use t-mo so I got free mobile to mobile.

Doesn't matter that means T-Mobile will no longer be competing against AT&T.

T-mobile was not really ever competing with them anyway. Realistically they where competing with sprint for the low cost market.

I read about this yesterday. I think it's good. :cool:

This is a good article about the regulatory hurdles AT&T will face.

The more I think about it, the more aprehensive I get. Wanting to resist change.

Being a T-Mobile user this is what I was expecting in the 1st place didn't think it would be right in the press release:

Q: If I'm a T-Mobile customer, will I have to switch phones to keep my service under the new AT&T-T-Mobile?

A: As soon as the deal closes — if approved by the Department of Justice and Federal Communications Commission— AT&T will likely move to get T-Mobile subscribers onto AT&T phones.

What that means is that all of the T-Mobile customers using 3G phones will need to switch to AT&T phones at that time. It is also possible that AT&T would shoulder much, if not all, of that cost, though there could be some sort of small activation fee. T-Mobile phones that operate on 2G technology will not need to be replaced by AT&T phones in order to work on the network.

After reading this I own a HTC-HD2 and my son has a HTC-G2 my daughter has a slightly advanced baseline phone what is the likely hood that AT&T will give me similar phones on their network for free. The cost they will shoulder is here is a crappy flip phone if you want a smartphone that will cost you.

Being a T-Mobile user this is what I was expecting in the 1st place didn't think it would be right in the press release:

Q: If I'm a T-Mobile customer, will I have to switch phones to keep my service under the new AT&T-T-Mobile?

A: As soon as the deal closes — if approved by the Department of Justice and Federal Communications Commission— AT&T will likely move to get T-Mobile subscribers onto AT&T phones.

What that means is that all of the T-Mobile customers using 3G phones will need to switch to AT&T phones at that time. It is also possible that AT&T would shoulder much, if not all, of that cost, though there could be some sort of small activation fee. T-Mobile phones that operate on 2G technology will not need to be replaced by AT&T phones in order to work on the network.

After reading this I own a HTC-HD2 and my son has a HTC-G2 my daughter has a slightly advanced baseline phone what is the likely hood that AT&T will give me similar phones on their network for free. The cost they will shoulder is here is a crappy flip phone if you want a smartphone that will cost you.

Maybe they finally found a way to off-load the surplus of 3G iPhone 8Gb phones they've been advertising for $50

AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson said one of the goals of the acquisition would be to move T-Mobile customers to smart phones, which have higher monthly fees.

Well if that's not just a giant "fuck you" to T-Mobiles customers then I don't know what is. I understand that a company buys another company to profit from it's customers but who comes right out and says that they're gonna squeeze their new customers harder. Try to move me to a more expensive plan and I guess I'll have to pay more............To Verizon.

On the other hand my brother in law works in T-Mobiles advertising department and I get to piggyback on his unlimited plan for $20 a month, maybe AT&T will sweeten my situation.

On the other hand my brother in law works in T-Mobiles advertising department and I get to piggyback on his unlimited plan for $20 a month, maybe AT&T will sweeten my situation.

is your brother in law responsible for carly?

because seriously, there hasnt been a more beautiful spokesperson for anything in years.....

o yea.... and ATT buying T-Mobile *blows*

I for one will definitely be jumping ship to sprint, or even a regional if this sale goes through

fuck you at&t!

I have friends who work for T-Mobile, so they are obviously concerned.

I just finally finished up the last of my AT&T Contracts last April (Three Lines + Dedicated Data). I have a great deal with TMO compared to what I was paying and what my wife pays on AT&T. This will take a while to be approved, but being the cynic that I am, it will be approved by hook or by crook.

I never cared about the iPhone (that would be my wife), so I see zero advantages for this from a consumer standpoint. I don't care what King Shit Stephenson and his cronies say, it is a market grab and it will leave TWO major carriers with between 70 - 80% of the share.

Bah........ wait and see and I'll deal with it next year once approved..........

I hope they don't take away the TMO prepaid plans.

there's no other provider that lets me keep 1000 minutes for 1 full year, and then allows rollover.

I used to be with ATT on a monthly plan, and we never used many minutes. I had shitloads of useless rollover minutes, wasting $75 per month, $900 per year.

that's why I switched to TMO prepaid. just $90 or less per phone, per year.
ATT is on a roll, fucking everything up in its path- broadband, wireless.

Have you tried looking into into Tracfone? Thats what I have, though I only use it for phones calls and texting. I have the double minutes card and the 1500 minutes card when I first got it, so long as I keep air time on it all my extra minutes roll over.

is your brother in law responsible for carly?

because seriously, there hasnt been a more beautiful spokesperson for anything in years.....

Unfortunately no. He works more with the adds you get on your phone and in your apps.

Back