ASUS X99 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

I'm using a new Amazon Basics hub (http://amzn.com/B00GGYU8TC). I can crack it open to see what chipset it uses if that helps? It works fine under Windows 8.1 with my X99A, but I simply cannot boot my system with it plugged in - either a flashing _ cursor in the top left of the screen or a hang before the Windows 8.1 'balls spinning' prompt. If I disable the 'ASUS boot logo display' and have the hub plugged in my X99A system will hang showing the American Megatrends logo with no other info displayed. Its like it cannot initialize it for some reason. My BIOS is flashed to rev 1402.

I know this isn't X99 specific, but considering we have someone from asus in the thread I wanted to point out I have this exact same issue (boot stuck at american megatrends logo) on my sabertooth Z77 + anker usb 3.0 10 port hub. I'm just assuming it will struggle on the X99 board as well at this point?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Those hubs I listed above are on our QVL for the X99-A, those we we have in HQ so can be easily patched - I usually steer people towards products we can get in Taiwan or already have in the labs. If your hub won't work with xHCI enabled, it may need a firmware update from the device vendor.

I cracked open the case and found the hub utilizes a common chipset, the VIA 812-q7. Looking at VIAs website, there are no updates for this chipset. http://www.via-labs.com/driver.php

VL812_.jpg

You might want to try one of the hubs in the list I posted if you can get one.

Is there any plan from Asus to fix the ASMedia XHCI 1.0 Controller randomly not recognized?
We have two USB ports that works randomly, please fix it.

Is this also the cause of the random USB disconnected issue I am facing on my Rampage V extreme? Note that my CPU/Cache are OCed to 4.2Ghz/4Ghz.

You might want to try one of the hubs in the list I posted if you can get one.

Thanks Raja. I looked up all the hubs you listed and all are available for sale on Amazon. One thing in common with these is that they are all 4 port hubs. Is this issue related to the total number of ports on the hub that is plugged in?

I tried an older (2011) USB3 4 port hub I had. I have no problems with this device.

Not that I am aware of. Those are just the ones we could get easily in Taiwan as well. At least if there is an issue with any of those, i can get a patch for it. Will ask HQ if they can get the Amazon one, but cannot promise it will happen or that it will definitely work. There are quite a few things that go on under the hood from vendors with hubs (different versions, firmware - things the consumer is not aware of).

Not that I am aware of. Those are just the ones we could get easily in Taiwan as well. At least if there is an issue with any of those, i can get a patch for it. Will ask HQ if they can get the Amazon one, but cannot promise it will happen or that it will definitely work. There are quite a few things that go on under the hood from vendors with hubs (different versions, firmware - things the consumer is not aware of).

Ok, thanks. In troubleshooting the hub I was able to capture what was displayed on POST before the machine hangs. Here is the shot -

20150406_202031.jpg

Note the invalid characters where the hub count should be.

Also, here is a picture I took of the board layout of the Amazon 10 port hub. (http://amzn.com/B00GGYU8TC) Note its using three VIA VL812-Q7 chips.

photo.jpg

Hopefully some of this data helps you and the engineers. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks again!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The hub count usually isn't relevant to anything on our side in my experience.

Compare these two Deluxes! The X99 feels much more quality than its counter-part. The box is bigger. The board feels better when holding.

Thank you.

The latest bios 1601 for the deluxe says in the changelog:
Enhance TPM functionality

what is TPM?

Thank you.

The latest bios 1601 for the deluxe says in the changelog:
Enhance TPM functionality

what is TPM?

TPM = Trusted Platform Module. Basically its hardware that stores an encryption key. Not related to USB specific issues that the Asus boards suffer from.

I have the M.2 Plextor up and running using UEFI on Windows 8.1 Pro 64(Bits)

1) In BIOS, I clear and delete Secure Boot and select it to Others
2) I disable my sec SSD & all SATA/ACHI and only enable IDE mode for DVD Rom
3) Under the Boot Device Control: UEFI and Legacy
- Boot Network device: Ignore
- Boot storage device: UEFI Driver First
- Boot PCI-E/PCI Expansion device: UEFI Driver First

4) I find this is importance, If I set the M.2 drive to first boot, at times it will BSOD during starting up the computer.
So, to avoid that, I set my setting:
- First Boot Order: DVD Rom
- 2nd Boot Order: Plextor M.2 Drive

I'm not sure why if I set my first boot order to DVD-Rom, there will be no BSOD anymore.

With the above settings, you can proceed to install Windows 8.1 without any BSOD or Hang issues.

Hi,

My new X99-S mobo turns the Power and Reset button lights on but there is no POST.
Looks like DOA. Tried to send Asus an email on their website but keep receiving a page empty message even after completing all the requested fields. Tried phoning on provided customer support number and was redirected back to their email system.
Could anyone help me on that? Anything I can do to confirm DOA before contacting the seller?

My configuration is:

Asus X99-S (rev. 1.03) (unknown BIOS version)
i7-5820K
Corsair H100i cooler
Crucial Ballistix DDR4 (PC4-19200) 32 GB kit (4 x 8GB) (on slots, A1, B1, C1 and D1)
MSI GEForce GT630 Nvidia (4GB, PCI-E 2.0 x16) (on slot PCIEX4_1)

Many thanks.:mad:

Hi,

I moved the graphics card to slot 1. Reset CMOS and removed battery. Still no post.
Managed to get a replacement MB and still no post.
Now replacing CPU and memory.
Puzzling! :mad:

I thought it'd be worth noting that I'm having issues with USB devices and booting as well. I have a Seinheiser 363D headset that uses a 3D G4ME1 USB headset. With this device plugged in, I get hung up on AD code. If I power off PSU and boot it works fine. Or if I unplug the device it boots fine.

Using X99-Deluxe with latest BIOS.

Fixes?

I thought it'd be worth noting that I'm having issues with USB devices and booting as well. I have a Seinheiser 363D headset that uses a 3D G4ME1 USB headset. With this device plugged in, I get hung up on AD code. If I power off PSU and boot it works fine. Or if I unplug the device it boots fine.

Using X99-Deluxe with latest BIOS.

Fixes?
Hello

Does the issue remain if xHCI is set to disabled in the UEFI? If not the USB device needs updating for support of Intel's latest USB 3.0 specifications. If the issue remains contact support for your location at ASUS.com.

Hello,

I had the X99 RVE with Samsung 950 1tb pro and just got a sm951 m.2 drive, after installation, the drive shown up in window (8.1 x64) but not in the BIOS?

What setting should I try?

Thanks.

The Samsung XP and SM851 drives need a GPT installation to show up as a BOOT device as they do not have an embedded BOOT loader.

The Samsung XP and SM851 drives need a GPT installation to show up as a BOOT device as they do not have an embedded BOOT loader.

You meant covert to GPT under disk management?

Still not work.

If you have some link that can guide me through that would be great.

Thanks

First time poster to this forum. Glad to see there is a direct support thread for these mobos.

Started a new build last night.

X99-A LGA 2011 v3.
I7 5820k
Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000) Desktop Memory Model CT4K8G4DFD8213

Booted up into bios all fine and dandy, but only dimm slots C1, D1 showed up. A1, B1 were both non existent.

I flipped the A1,B1 dimms with C1,D1 and had the same issue. Which verified that all 4 dimms are good.

I then went into the bios tools and checked the SPD information. All 4 dimms are shown, but A1,B1 aren't reporting the sizes.

I tried uping the DRAM voltage on the A, B channels all the way to 1.35v with no change at all.

Is this a bad mobo? Is there any other testing I can do before I replace through Newegg?

I did find a new bios this morning and will install it on my lunch break, but I don't feel that will be a fix.

Thoughts?

Just a thought: Use MemOK button and see if it makes any difference. Also, might try clearing the BIOS and see also if that helps.

Where is this Memok button and what exactly is its purpose and or expected results?

It's usually located near the memory slots at the top right corner. It's purpose is to accommodate memory compatibility issues.

Bios update didn't work. Pulling battery out of mobo and resetting didn't work, reseating the processor didn't work, MemOk button didn't do anything either.

Motherboard still can't recognize the DIMM size of A1, B1 slots. I called newegg tech support since I am a premium member and they suggested for a that I boot into a linux USB .iso and see if the OS properly sees all 32GB of memory.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Does your OS or BIOS see the whole 32GB? You probably have received a bad board. Time for RMA!

Yes it is indeed a bad motherboard. I was able to boot into Ubuntu with USB and run memtest86, which only saw 16GB, same issue when looking through the Ubuntu OS.

For now I'm booting with 16GB so that I can do some file recovery off of old drives, and then I'll return the board to Newegg.

I don't know if the Intel NVMe SSD is out yet but is there someone who bought it and tried it on X99?

Just replaced my i7 920 @ 4.0GHz.

Wow! 5820k silky smooth @ 4.7 GHz running on x99-a from Asus.

I own an Acer B326HK UHD monitor and on my x79 ASrock motherboard I had no issue with the USB3 hub on the monitor, on this motherboard I get the message "Invalid device descriptor". I haven't been able to track down any driver updates. I'm wondering if it is related to other USB hub issues.

I own an Acer B326HK UHD monitor and on my x79 ASrock motherboard I had no issue with the USB3 hub on the monitor, on this motherboard I get the message "Invalid device descriptor". I haven't been able to track down any driver updates. I'm wondering if it is related to other USB hub issues.

Don't use the last 2 USB ports; use one of the first ones - in other words, try to connect your hub to the ones around the ethernet ports, not the ones nect to the wifi/audio ports.

Hello

Intel updated the USB specs coinciding with the launch of the 97 chipsets and all chipsets after. Most USB issues are because of the connected device not being compatible with these latest specs which is why the same issue would not be seen on the X79 platform.

Back