ASUS X99 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

It might work on the X99-A but mine is a deluxe and both ASUS and experience have both confirmed that SATA SSDs (HDDs are fine ofc) will NOT work with the X99-Deluxe.

How do I update the BIOS if I don't have Windows installed yet?
Hello

SATA SSDs designed to connect to the onboard SATA ports will work without issue. M.2 SSDs using the SATA interface is what will not work with your board.

It might work on the X99-A but mine is a deluxe and both ASUS and experience have both confirmed that SATA SSDs (HDDs are fine ofc) will NOT work with the X99-Deluxe.

How do I update the BIOS if I don't have Windows installed yet?

USB drive

Hello

SATA SSDs designed to connect to the onboard SATA ports will work without issue. M.2 SSDs using the SATA interface is what will not work with your board.

Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. The one I bought is a M.2 SATA III SSD and that's what I meant won't work.

Raja,

Is there anything special I have to do in BIOS to get the system to recognize the Intel 750 attached via the M.2 slot on the motherboard with the Hyperkit? I am using the vertical bracket that came with the motherboard to secure the hyperkit in place, but it seems a little fiddly and I'm not completely sure it is making a good connection. When the hyperkit is connected, the system boots with a code 40 (not documented in my manual). When the hyperkit is removed, the system boots with code AA. Running BIOS 1702. Thanks for the help.

Update: I have installed the PCIe card version of the Intel 750 and it is working fine. So the problem is with M.2/HyperKit version. Not visible to system. Latest Intel NVMe drivers installed.

Last edited:
Raja,

Is there anything special I have to do in BIOS to get the system to recognize the Intel 750 attached via the M.2 slot on the motherboard with the Hyperkit? I am using the vertical bracket that came with the motherboard to secure the hyperkit in place, but it seems a little fiddly and I'm not completely sure it is making a good connection. When the hyperkit is connected, the system boots with a code 40 (not documented in my manual). When the hyperkit is removed, the system boots with code AA. Running BIOS 1702. Thanks for the help.

Update: I have installed the PCIe card version of the Intel 750 and it is working fine. So the problem is with M.2/HyperKit version. Not visible to system. Latest Intel NVMe drivers installed.

Did you enable hyperkit support in the sata config page ? I was thinking about buying the hyperkit/M.2 version but you got me a little worried this may not work...

I think I can help with the "flddly"-ness part: there's a small screw that comes undone from the top of the entire nut. U'll need to hold the nut in place with something like a pair of pliers and then use a screwdriver on the screw. I think securing the card after that becomes quite straightforward.

Hope that helps.

LuckyB, thank you! It is now found by the system! And now I see this on the little flyer that came with the Hyper Kit in tiny print in the Specification Summary. Silly me, I was looking at the Installation sectrion.

Sima, thanks for the help. My X99-Deluxe motherboard comes with a mounting bracket that includes an odd plastic pin that holds the M.2. board in place. Not very well-designed nor robust, but it seems to be secure for now. It is probably documented somewhere how it works (not obvious), but I finally figured it out.

Hi.

I'm experiencing faulty CPU Power (Package) reading when I disable the CPU SVID Support in the BIOS. It persistently shows CPU Power around 0.58W regardless which tool is used to monitor that, and goes back to showing normal CPU Power values when I enable CPU SVID Support again. This is a consistent behavior on two different motherboard samples, so it obviously must be caused by the BIOS.

Are you experiencing the same issue on disabling the CPU SVID Support in BIOS? (You can use any arbitrary tool monitoring the CPU Power, e.g. AIDA64, HW Monitor, etc.)

Another issue is a weird mix of English and Chinese text appearing in the "Last modified" report (list box) in the BIOS. I've never seen anything like this before, and it's obviously a local BIOS problem as far as I can tell. Have you experienced similar issues yourself?

I'm thinking that it must be some bugs in the BIOS causing that (what else?), since it's behaving just the same on different boards. What do you think? Any suggestions? RAJA?

Hi.

I'm experiencing faulty CPU Power (Package) reading when I disable the CPU SVID Support in the BIOS. It persistently shows CPU Power around 0.58W regardless which tool is used to monitor that, and goes back to showing normal CPU Power values when I enable CPU SVID Support again. This is a consistent behavior on two different motherboard samples, so it obviously must be caused by the BIOS.

Are you experiencing the same issue on disabling the CPU SVID Support in BIOS? (You can use any arbitrary tool monitoring the CPU Power, e.g. AIDA64, HW Monitor, etc.)

Another issue is a weird mix of English and Chinese text appearing in the "Last modified" report (list box) in the BIOS. I've never seen anything like this before, and it's obviously a local BIOS problem as far as I can tell. Have you experienced similar issues yourself?

I'm thinking that it must be some bugs in the BIOS causing that (what else?), since it's behaving just the same on different boards. What do you think? Any suggestions? RAJA?
Hello

A copy and paste of my reply to you at OCN.

There is no package power reporting when SVID Support is disabled. This is as designed by Intel and is no indication of an issue.

I'm having an annoying problem with my X99-A board. Everything was fine until some time ago when I plug in a PS4 controller. The system would POST, but refuse to load Windows whenever the controller is connected. I had to disconnect it to allow it to load, and plug it in after Windows is loaded. It works perfectly fine otherwise. Updated my BIOS, changed the USB controller settings, used different USB ports, nothing helps.

Now, I'm getting the same problem with my new gaming mouse :eek: I have to unplugged the mouse each time I boot up, or restart my PC. Perhaps the new mouse consumes more power with it's LED lighting, but otherwise I can't think of any possible reason why my old mouse G700 could work perfectly fine but not the new Tyon mouse. Similarly, the PS4 controller tends to recharge itself during boot-up, so I'm wondering if the board has some kind of USB power delivery issues that causes the board to crash during boot up.

I had similar problems, probably even worse - hanging during post unless USB devices were disconnected, USB connections being dropped intermittently, etc., even if I switched USB ports and disabled xHCI. All problems disappeared ENTIRELY when I removed 2 older USB devices (an HP printer and a Behringer audio interface) from the system, even those these devices work perfectly fine when connected to other PCs.

ASUS insists that my devices are not compatible with the latest USB specs from Intel. I don't buy this.

I'm having an annoying problem with my X99-A board. Everything was fine until some time ago when I plug in a PS4 controller. The system would POST, but refuse to load Windows whenever the controller is connected. I had to disconnect it to allow it to load, and plug it in after Windows is loaded. It works perfectly fine otherwise. Updated my BIOS, changed the USB controller settings, used different USB ports, nothing helps.

Now, I'm getting the same problem with my new gaming mouse :eek: I have to unplugged the mouse each time I boot up, or restart my PC. Perhaps the new mouse consumes more power with it's LED lighting, but otherwise I can't think of any possible reason why my old mouse G700 could work perfectly fine but not the new Tyon mouse. Similarly, the PS4 controller tends to recharge itself during boot-up, so I'm wondering if the board has some kind of USB power delivery issues that causes the board to crash during boot up.
Hello

Try different USB ports. If the issues remain test with xHCI set to disabled.

I had similar problems, probably even worse - hanging during post unless USB devices were disconnected, USB connections being dropped intermittently, etc., even if I switched USB ports and disabled xHCI. All problems disappeared ENTIRELY when I removed 2 older USB devices (an HP printer and a Behringer audio interface) from the system, even those these devices work perfectly fine when connected to other PCs.

ASUS insists that my devices are not compatible with the latest USB specs from Intel. I don't buy this.

Yep, I had the same issue. My Seinheiser USB headphone sound card would cause boot hang, regardless of settings.

I almost RMA'ed my PSU because of it before I found out USB was the cause.. Funny thing is, Asus wanted to RMA my board, they didn't even suggest it could be a USB issue.

Hello

Hope someone can shed some light on a strange issue I have.

I have had my 5820K since January 2015, and occasionally overclock it via my X99-D for running flight sims to 4.5GHz, auto voltage of 1.264V. Its passed every stability test I could get my hands on and has been absolutely rock solid even when left overclocked for some weeks. However I recently wanted to see if I could increase the overclock due to the voracious appetite of flight sims.

I experimented with disabling some cores, core 3 and 5 out of the 6. I also turned off hyperthreading. Then I applied the 4.65GHz OC with auto voltage, with XMP on - strap of 125. When I booted, it took longer than usual - 8 of the W8 swirly white dot loops rather than 2 - to get into windows (8.1) but I figured this was because of the deactivations. I stress tested with ASUS Realbench, but the video driver crashed and the test aborted. Not being 100% confident I decided to just put everything back to defaults, so the CPU is back running at 3.3GHz stock. Auto voltage during the OC stress test was at 1.296V, and temps never went above 65 for the 3 minutes or so the test ran.

The problem is it seems the long load times have not gone away, at least on reset. From cold boot it goes straight in, no white swirlies. But on reset is much longer, still 8 instead of the old 2. Is there any way I could have damaged something, or is it possible Windows still thinks its in a 4 core, No HT environment at boot?

I have tried optimized defaults, clearing CMOS and a cold boot, nada. Also did a BIOS flashback as I had recently updated and wondered if that was causing it. I am currently running defaults, no overclock. EDIT: I have also checked to see that Fast Boot and Boot Performance modes are enabled.

Thanks!

SPECS: 5820K, ASUS X99 Deluxe, 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator 2666Mhz, 2xGTX980 (factory overclocked EVGA), Superflower Leadex Platinum 1000W, H105 AIO cooler, Samsung 850Pro SSD (boot), WD Caviar Black 2TB (storage)

Last edited:
I'm experiencing an issue on my Sabertooth x99 where I'm running quad channel RAM but on slot D1 RAM is not being detected. I've tried all the other sticks of RAM on that slot and no matter what it is not being detected on that slot. The weird thing is that CPU-Z sees the RAM in every slot. But it's not detected by the BIOS or Windows. I've tried BIOS defaults and setting XMP and I get the same results.

Any known problems with updating from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 on an X99-Deluxe system (BIOS 1801) with an Intel 750 SSD/Hyperkit as the boot drive. It keeps failing with 0x8007002 0x20009, which best as I can tell involves disk drive compatibility. This system also has a PCIe 750 SSD.

Are the new "usb3.1" versions of x99 boards fixing the dead ports and flakey usb problems (without admitting there was anything wrong, of course)?

Why do some XMP profiles set the CPU voltage at a constant maximum @ 125 blck, even when the CPU is idle @ lower clocks?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm experiencing an issue on my Sabertooth x99 where I'm running quad channel RAM but on slot D1 RAM is not being detected. I've tried all the other sticks of RAM on that slot and no matter what it is not being detected on that slot. The weird thing is that CPU-Z sees the RAM in every slot. But it's not detected by the BIOS or Windows. I've tried BIOS defaults and setting XMP and I get the same results.

Try each stick in D1 on its own and see if any of them are picked up. If so, likely need to re-seat CPU or tune System Agent Voltage.

Any known problems with updating from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 on an X99-Deluxe system (BIOS 1801) with an Intel 750 SSD/Hyperkit as the boot drive. It keeps failing with 0x8007002 0x20009, which best as I can tell involves disk drive compatibility. This system also has a PCIe 750 SSD.

After serious damage to my head from banging it against the wall, it seems clear that on my X99-Deluxe system, Windows 10 Install (update or clean) will always fail if there is an NVME drive in the system, even if it is not the target drive for the install. Problem with both the Intel 750 PCIe and M.2/Hyperkit versions. Not sure if it is something unusual about system or a problem with Intel drivers or ASUS BIOS or whatever. Just glad to have this ordeal behind me.

Hi guys. Noticed this problem so I updated to latest BIOS but it didn't fix it. Any ideas? (specs in sig)

Last edited:
Quick question before I replace this board. I have the x99 Sabertooth and Im getting the blinking cursor error, sometimes freezing at the windows flag as well. Raid-0 causes constant freezing, single ssd will happen every now and then, when its in windows its fine and stable if its not raid-0, no way to predict when it will happen, ive had it up to here with this board, using the 1801 bios, anything I can do before i trash this board?

Last edited:
Quick question before I replace this board. I have the x99 Sabertooth and Im getting the blinking cursor error, sometimes freezing at the windows flag as well. Raid-0 causes constant freezing, single ssd will happen every now and then, when its in windows its fine and stable if its not raid-0, no way to predict when it will happen, ive had it up to here with this board, using the 1801 bios, anything I can do before i trash this board?

I've never had a problem like that with my board, so I'd guess something is faulty with it. Replace.

What's the word on the newer Asus x99 boards (specifically x99 Pro) and handling of higher speed DDR4 at like 3000mhz? Does the board have more memory multipliers or still has to revert to a 125 strap?

I'm starting to better familiarize myself with x99 overclocking in general, does having to use a 125 strap hinder your CPU overclock in any way?

You can use DDR4-3200 on the 100 strap with capable memory. One of the best ratios available.

At first we had issues with the 100MHz strap settings on all X99 motherboards. They should should all be fine at this point so long as you have an updated BIOS.

Thanks Raja and Dan_D, that's great to know.

May jump to x99 if 6700k takes any longer to materialize.

Between, the 2600-3000 ratios on 100 strap have limited range - not all CPUs will be stable on these ratios without a lot of tuning (even then does not correct the problem).

Hi, the Asus website is confusing when it comes to memory support.
Looking at for example at their X99-A mainboard specifications we see that it does not support ECC memory, but that we should also refer to the Memory QVL.
So we go into Support > Memory Support and click on the "X99 Series DRAM QVL"
Now this is a general PDF document for all X99 boards it seems, and it does list ECC memory as tested and supported under the section "X99 Series Motherboard R-DIMM Qualified Vendors Lists (QVL)"
And at the end of the document this is written:
- R-DIMM MEMORY: Registered DIMM that provides parity checking or error-correcting code (ECC) to detect improper addresses or commands.
- Parity checking and error-correcting code (ECC) support depends on CPU types.

Even more interesting it is that on the specifications page for the X99-A there is no Xeon support listed, but under Support > CPU Support we can see that it does support Xeon CPU's as of BIOS v0216 even up to the 45MB 18-core Xeon E5-2699-v3
So what is it, does it support ECC or not, would it even be possible to run a Xeon CPU without ECC memory?

I am sure Raja will respond, but no that board does not support ECC, yes you can run a xeon without ECC memory

Their QVL is generic and applies to all boards so for boards that do support ECC those are the DIMMs they tested.

yes I agree it can be confusing the way it is explained. I would rather see data represented per board so that is is more clear.

If you want to run ECC you need a workstation board like the X99-E WS. Xeons support ECC they do not require it, it all depends on the board.

This may be impossible (or already answered and I'm a failed human :)

RE: X99 Deluxe
If you go SLI 3 and put nothing into PcIEX16_2
So you only use 1, and 3, 4 and 5 (5 set to 4x to share 4x with the M2)
Do you get 16x(16_1), 8x(16_3), 8x(16_4), 4x(16_5) and 4x(M.2) ?
(to be completely accurate also nothing in the 4x slot either)

Sorry to ask such simpleton questions. :)

Yes, it would. But, for little more , better performance and cooler running temperature, I would go for the SM951 http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00VELDBJ6/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Bah.. I was hoping to get a cheaper sata based m.2 drive. I don't need all the speed. All I wanted was less cable clutter. I'll stick with a standard 2.5 ssd for almost 1/2 the price for the same capacity. To add insult, my motherboard (x99-m) only has a 2X m.2 slot, So, I can't even use the full speed of the SM951 if I do buy it.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Bad ram stick?

Setup:
X99 sabertooth bios 1801
Ripjaws V 3200 4x4gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231901

Bios only detects 12gb of memory and system properties shows 12gb.
CPUz detects all 4 dimms.

I have seen people with similar issues and have tried reseating the cpu, moving the ram and reseating it, and increased the vram CHA/B CHC/D to 1.4v.
Also, I have tried with and without xmp and @2133, 2400, 2800

The slots are not the problem the undetected ram is always the same stick no matter what slot I put it in. Also, when I try and boot with just that 1 stick it does not post.

I figure I need to RMA the ram, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

As an aside even with everything default and then setting xmp 3200 xmp will not post (I figure because that bad ram stick?).

Bad ram stick?

Setup:
X99 sabertooth bios 1801
Ripjaws V 3200 4x4gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231901

Bios only detects 12gb of memory and system properties shows 12gb.
CPUz detects all 4 dimms.

I have seen people with similar issues and have tried reseating the cpu, moving the ram and reseating it, and increased the vram CHA/B CHC/D to 1.4v.
Also, I have tried with and without xmp and @2133, 2400, 2800

The slots are not the problem the undetected ram is always the same stick no matter what slot I put it in. Also, when I try and boot with just that 1 stick it does not post.

I figure I need to RMA the ram, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

As an aside even with everything default and then setting xmp 3200 xmp will not post (I figure because that bad ram stick?).

Sounds like one stick is faulty - would RMA the kit.

Back