Asus VG248QE 144hz 3D Vision 2: The Official Thread

good stuff vega. maybe one day ill attempt this on mines. haha.

I'm about to buy this monitor, do i need to buy any extra cable in order to run this in lightboost hack, or 144hz or what ever, i wanna run this monitor like its meant to be

Well I'm happy to report that I have found suitable settings on my VG248QE! The reason my black levels were so bad was because I was mistakenly doing my adjustments in the Night View Mode. I switched to Standard mode and after several more adjustments everything look much better.

Here are my current settings:

Brightness: 60
Contrast: 90
Saturation: 50 (locked out)
Color Temp: User Mode - Red 91/Green 91/Blue 91 (I'm amazed how neutral it ended up being)
I also use TraceFree: 40 because that looked best to me while testing in PerPixAn, but I'll admit 60 looked pretty good too and might be fine. I saw a user review on the VG278HE where a guy said he was using TraceFree: 100, and I had a good laugh because that just causes a massive purple overshoot. Horrendous.

PM me if you want info on me doing it.
You should just make a big, detailed, public post in this thread, since it pertains to this monitor. I don't have any plans to do it myself, but maybe in a few years down the road, or I might do this to my previous monitor just for kicks.

I'm about to buy this monitor, do i need to buy any extra cable in order to run this in lightboost hack, or 144hz or what ever, i wanna run this monitor like its meant to be

It comes with the Dual-Link DVI cable needed to run at 144hz. I'll admit that it is a bit short though, so if you need a longer one then go ahead and get one. Dual-Link DVI means it has all of the pins on it to get the extra bandwidth needed, not just two square groupings of pins.

Would be interested in seeing the details involved in replacing the monitor film as well, but for now I'm not gonna risk ruining the "Ultimate Gaming Monitor" :)

Video showing the difference between matte and gloss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQm1v5UJ1y4

For more information on converting, send me a PM.

Taking the best gaming monitor on the planet to a whole new level.

wow. the difference is so obvious, one can only wonder why companies keep ruining their screens with that film when they can offer much better image quality. or at least have models with and without that stuff.

i'm planning to buy either the benq xl2411t or this asus for using with lightboost2d. i still couldn't find a review comparing them, especially regarding input lag, but they seem pretty identical to me. the benq edges out the asus imo due to its black equalizer, which i see being a vital feature in dark areas. now if one of them came with a glossy screen, choosing would be easier.

Black Equalizer is just a marketing gimmick, Asus's Night View mode does the exact same thing (washes out the colors and ruins the black levels so noobs can get an advantage they ARE NOT supposed to have) and BE+Night View modes are not available when lightboost/3D are enabled. It is very rare for a monitor to suffer from black crush (especially TN's due to gamma shift) and games have their own gamma/brightness settings as well as video menus which show you if your display has the correct brightness (change the brightness so that x is barely visible). If the level designers wanted players to be able to see into certain dark areas then they would not have made them dark.

Last edited:
Wow impressive monitor indeed. If I already didn't own a 120hz monitor. This would DEF be my next purchase.

I'm going to order this monitor soon, anything I should know? Would amazon be best to purchase from? Any different versions to be aware of?

I'm going to order this monitor soon, anything I should know? Would amazon be best to purchase from? Any different versions to be aware of?

Slightly cheaper on Newegg right now. The Amazon price keeps fluctuating due to their various sellers getting the monitor in/out of stock.

Vega I want to ask about glare. Is it much much worst without AG coating? I have Benq xl2411t and wondering about doing the mod, what about cleaning etc. without AG?

PM me if you want info on me doing it.

AG removal looks awesome.
It'd be worth it to me to buy one that has the coating removed by you at a markup + shipping since you have a lot more experience doing it. I will not be upgrading to a nvidia card until some of their other cards come out later this year so no reason to buy a lightboost2 monitor just yet. Hoping to get a titan or gtx 780 after some game benchmarks come out on them and they are available for purchase.

Vega I want to ask about glare. Is it much much worst without AG coating? I have Benq xl2411t and wondering about doing the mod, what about cleaning etc. without AG?

As long as you don't have a light or bright window directly behind you should be fine.

AG removal looks awesome.
It'd be worth it to me to buy one that has the coating removed by you at a markup + shipping since you have a lot more experience doing it. I will not be upgrading to a nvidia card until some of their other cards come out later this year so no reason to buy a lightboost2 monitor just yet. Hoping to get a titan or gtx 780 after some game benchmarks come out on them and they are available for purchase.

Just let me know, this monitor with film removed plus a Titan would be a pretty perfect setup fir gaming. ;)

the benq edges out the asus imo due to its black equalizer, which i see being a vital feature in dark areas. now if one of them came with a glossy screen, choosing would be easier.
You can do almost the same thing as Black Equalizer by using a display calibration program. It's just adjustment of the greyscale curves, really. nVidia Control Panel calibrations -- tweaking the gamma levels, saturation, etc. -- can get really close to Black Equalizer.

As someone who has recently been researching new monitors to buy for FPS games, this forum has become my favourite forum on the internet so thank you all very much.

However I still have one question. BenQ XL2411T or ASUS VG248QE? Or is the jury still out? I'm not willing to remove the AG film (is this the same on both?) and the only posts I can find comparing them say they're pretty much the same so any extra nudges would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Does ASCR = DCR? If so, the ASUS has 80M:1 while the BenQ only has 12M:1. I realize there would be diminishing returns on this but that's a pretty big difference.

So I guess I'll toss this question out quick:
On the ASUS support site they offer a "driver" for the monitor that was released in December. Is there any benefit/harm generated by installing this? I am tempted to give it a spin.

BenQ XL2411T or ASUS VG248QE? Or is the jury still out? I'm not willing to remove the AG film (is this the same on both?) and the only posts I can find comparing them say they're pretty much the same so any extra nudges would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Does ASCR = DCR? If so, the ASUS has 80M:1 while the BenQ only has 12M:1. I realize there would be diminishing returns on this but that's a pretty big difference.
I'd say VG248QE just to get 144hz instead of 120hz, otherwise decide via pricing/availability.

"Dynamic" contrast adjustment is pretty much complete garbage and should never be used. When you fine-tune your monitor settings, you don't want anything deciding they should be changed on the fly. Furthermore the numbers that the manufacturers give of for "dynamic contrast ratio" are complete bull. They make up whatever number they want to trick people into buying their panels. First it was in the hundreds, then the thousands, then the ten thousands, then the hundred thousands, then the millions, then the ten millions, hell my parents have a Sony TV that was rated as "infinite" contrast ratio. It's all a bunch of lies. Buyer beware, stick to what the pro measurements at sites like prad.de tell you.

Absolutely no reason for someone with a NVIDIA card to run the monitor at 144Hz over 120 Hz Lightboost.

Not true at all vega. If someone can't keep perfect 120fps then 144hz does help with a lower framerate cap. I can keep 120hz in games like Black ops 2, MW3, or Quake live but games like BF3 or max payne 3 with a single 120hz really brings out the negative side of lightboost.

Oh I see, you are saying if you cannot keep the high FPS at all times it doesn't work out as well.. Is it blur, stuttering?

Oh I see, you are saying if you cannot keep the high FPS at all times it doesn't work out as well.. Is it blur, stuttering?

Some people have said double image. Don't know the name for it but I know it's worse than blur IMO. Also the stuttering is much more noticeable. But when it works even on my 278HE monitor it's amazing.

Also do note that icc was created under the Standard preset on the monitor at 18 brightness and default contrast (80) non-lightboost

I have just started testing lightboost and it tints it a little red so might throw a second icc up for lightboost users depends how well it works out!

Cr4zy PLEASE do this; or could you PM me if you do so? I use your normal ICC profile but it's way too dark in BF3 but looks so good on desktop; but I am running LIGHTBOOST 24/7.

If you could make a spyder profile for Lightboost users I guarantee many would be soo happy!

Hi I just have one question on this monitor. Is there much whining or squealing with the brightness turned down? Does it emit much noise? Thanks in advance..

Hi I just have one question on this monitor. Is there much whining or squealing with the brightness turned down? Does it emit much noise? Thanks in advance..

I'm pretty sure this issue only affects CCFL displays due to the use of a high voltage inverter.

Haven't noticed any noises at all in regular or LB mode.

Vega - I noticed you are selling your monitor? Did you decide to just stick with the 2B catleap and that a bit more blur and extra real estate was worth the trade off to you?

Vega - I noticed you are selling your monitor? Did you decide to just stick with the 2B catleap and that a bit more blur and extra real estate was worth the trade off to you?

I'm guessing he has extra's VG248QE's.

ETA from his post: "I am selling it to gauge interest in selling a regular quantity of the displays with the film removed. So far the demand isn't there as most people are really cheap and would rather live with the crappy matte image."

Doesnt this void the warranty?

As for his comment.. people are not cheap, its not a guarantee, the price he lol wants is so far out there. Put really wet towels on for at least 6h and do it yourself. Last were talking about ASUS these guys will use anything to void a warranty.

I wonder if Vega is going to be able to push the monitor up to 160hz+ with Titan's new feature...

I wonder if Vega is going to be able to push the monitor up to 160hz+ with Titan's new feature...

Actually, I just bought two more to de-matte'tacize. Ya, that's a word! :D

I will be running three in de-bezled portrait Surround Lightboost mode with Titans. Something about perfect motion clarity surround really has me interested! As for overclocking, the new Titan feature just is an easier way to overclock (had to do it manually before). It won't actually allow you to run any faster as the monitor itself is the limit. In order to tweak the timings to their ultimate, you will still have to manually set them. Point is moot though for my setup, as Lightboost is 120 Hz only (which is fine with me as the clarity is perfect at that setting with 1.4 ms strobes).

I should note that even 160Hz (non-CRT, non-LightBoost) on a traditional LCD display would still have a frame sample length of 1/160sec. LightBoost LCD's at 1.4ms strobe flashes, gives you frame samples of ~1/700sec. (CRT-style flickers of 1.4/1000th of a second per refresh)

That means the only way for a traditional LCD to match the motion clarity of the best LightBoost LCD setting without strobing /and/ without interpolation, would be 700fps @ 700Hz. That, or bring back the Sony FW900's :D

Last edited:
edit;

Lightboost on calibrated profile, hope this is good!

http://www.mediafire.com/?bgrb8xfjcxrnvs8

Wow! I really appreciate this, unfortunately it's still just too dark for gaming (bf3 in particular); and I notice your profiles lean toward the red spectrum. It's something that's jarring at first, then I start to like it. For desktop is awesome, but for lightboost I guess the best solution is to use nvidia desktop color tweaks as VEGA does that seems to work the best.

Disappointed, but not in your work, it's excellent!

Hey Cr4zy, what are your contrast and lightboost monitor settings with this profile? Thanks

LB at setting of 10 (one above lowest brightness) everything else default on standard.

Wow! I really appreciate this, unfortunately it's still just too dark for gaming (bf3 in particular); and I notice your profiles lean toward the red spectrum. It's something that's jarring at first, then I start to like it. For desktop is awesome, but for lightboost I guess the best solution is to use nvidia desktop color tweaks as VEGA does that seems to work the best.

Disappointed, but not in your work, it's excellent!

Hm, are you using them on the standard mode? (or does lightboost ignore that bit :confused: )
They were both done at fairly low brightness settings, that was at LB of one above lowest because of the faster pulses. I don't use LB myself when gaming, it gives me eyestrain, albeit minimal but id prefer none :p

Maybe it's just BF3? It could be disabling the profile.

As for being red I found they were further from red, especially in LB I get a nice red tint which it removed, but I guess that's what's going to happen they can't all be the same!

How do we apply the icc profiles, I looked around quite a bit in the thread couldn't anything except the location.

Actually, I just bought two more to de-matte'tacize. Ya, that's a word! :D

I will be running three in de-bezled portrait Surround Lightboost mode with Titans. Something about perfect motion clarity surround really has me interested! As for overclocking, the new Titan feature just is an easier way to overclock (had to do it manually before). It won't actually allow you to run any faster as the monitor itself is the limit. In order to tweak the timings to their ultimate, you will still have to manually set them. Point is moot though for my setup, as Lightboost is 120 Hz only (which is fine with me as the clarity is perfect at that setting with 1.4 ms strobes).

Awesome I was hoping you would do this. I wanted to but I'd rather live vicariously and have someone else try it first ;) Plus I ain't a baller ;)

Also I assume you'll be trying quad titans? It seems Nvidia is really pushing tri sli so much I really have to question how broken quad is on them? Did you get hooked up with any pre-release samples?

How do we apply the icc profiles, I looked around quite a bit in the thread couldn't anything except the location.

Go to color management > Devices then add the profile then select "set as default profile"

thanks guys, I don't notice much difference between 120hz with LB Vs 144hz No LB TBH, both feel great though.

The difference is huge! I can instantly tell when LB is not on.

Back