Asus VG248QE 144hz 3D Vision 2: The Official Thread

I agree, love my dot crosshairs in games that offer them. It's a nice idea, but I fail to see anyone use them, at least if those are the only options.

Curious what the Lighboost2 in 2D gaming results will be on this one.
It looks like the two current front runners are very close in results. You can change the brightness in the OSD, but the BenQ seems to have a crimson tint where the Asus does not.
This was Mark R's preliminary results post in the lightboost2 thread, but it was comparing the two current front runners.. an ASUS VG278HE - 144Hz to a BENQ XL2411T (not the yet to be released 24" Asus VG248QE 144hz 3D Vision 2 (1ms) that this thread is dedicated to). I know the BenQ XL2411T and the Asus VG248QE have the same panel, but I wonder if any difference in their other circuitry will yield different results - especially in relation to the crimson tint and lines in the upper corner.
- There is a crimson tint. It becomes more subdued if I raise the Contrast in BENQ's OSD to above "43", but it starts clipping colors.
- I see the faint horizontal lines at the upper-right, but only when LightBoost is enabled. This appears to be a normal LightBoost artifact for a BENQ.
- The ASUS colors does look look better at desktop. I don't notice in games though; the BENQ actually is slightly sharper looking because it is smaller (24" rather than 27").

Preliminary BENQ XL2411T observations

I want to keep most of my data for a detailed web page, but I will post some preliminary data. LightBoost works as advertised, following my own instructions (I now have more screenshots for the series of steps to install an EDID override file, will post those in the next month or two.

When enabling LightBoost:
- BENQ is a much, much better panel from a trailing-artifact perspective. This is the most impressive aspect of the BENQ.
- There is a crimson tint. It becomes more subdued if I raise the Contrast in BENQ's OSD to above "43", but it starts clipping colors.
- The well-known "BENQ AMA coronas" completely disappears.
- When LightBoost is MAX in monitor's OSD, the LightBoost Brightness on BENQ at contrast 50 is similar to ASUS at contrast 90.
- I see the faint horizontal lines at the upper-right, but only when LightBoost is enabled. This appears to be a normal LightBoost artifact for a BENQ.
- The ASUS colors does look look better at desktop. I don't notice in games though; the BENQ actually is slightly sharper looking because it is smaller (24" rather than 27").
- The LCD inversion artifacts are much less on the BENQ than on the ASUS. LightBoost does not amplify inversion artifacts on the BENQ nearly as much as it does on ASUS.
- LightBoost doesn't seem brighter on the BENQ than ASUS. (The most surprising aspect)
- I need to do more tests on MPRT, but preliminary MPRT of about 1.9ms from default settings, but if I set LightBoost down to 10% (not OFF) via monitor's OSD, I'm able to get MPRT 1.4ms. That's a much dimmer image. I need to verify I'm reproducing the same test conditions that Vega is.

That said, the most impressive aspect of BENQ: During LightBoost, the crosstalk between refreshes is darn near practically zero to the eye (Less than 1% for sure -- possibly about 0.5% inter-frame GtG pixel persistence leakage). The LightBoost-specific response time compensation (non-adjustable when LightBoost enabled) is very good. This is very, very good for 3D glasses, as this will mean you won't notice 3D crosstalk with these "1ms" panels. During 2D motion, there isn't even a faint 'sharp faint doubled-up edge' minor artifact that is seen on the ASUS VG278H. I will attempt to have high-speed camera comparisions of both the BENQ vs ASUS refresh within a month or two.

Although very hard to tell since both are zero motion blur LCD's, due to fewer side effect artifacts (except crimson tint), motion looks slightly better on BENQ, and the BENQ is well known to have less input lag. If competitive FPS gamers are looking an answer -- the BENQ input lag will win out.

Will this monitor be able to run Eyefinity 5760 X 1080p @ 120Hz using displayport?

you forget that Benq XL2411T have a very bad ag coating with dirty / grainy look :eek:

I know there are some people that have removed the AG on their monitors using a certain procedure where you dampen the AG for a few hours and then peel it off. I wonder if that would work on this monitor? I really don't like AG coatings, but it seems they all have them these days :(

I know there are some people that have removed the AG on their monitors using a certain procedure where you dampen the AG for a few hours and then peel it off. I wonder if that would work on this monitor? I really don't like AG coatings, but it seems they all have them these days :(

I'm wondering the same thing, but will wait for someone else to try it first maybe. I was about to get a samsung 700d cause i want a glossy 120hz monitor but this asus has more features that outweigh that want. It would be nice to be able to turn it into a glossy.

Curious what the Lighboost2 in 2D gaming results will be on this one.
It looks like the two current front runners are very close in results. You can change the brightness in the OSD, but the BenQ seems to have a crimson tint where the Asus does not.
This was Mark R's preliminary results post in the lightboost2 thread, but it was comparing the two current front runners.. an ASUS VG278HE - 144Hz to a BENQ XL2411T (not the yet to be released 24" Asus VG248QE 144hz 3D Vision 2 (1ms) that this thread is dedicated to). I know the BenQ XL2411T and the Asus VG248QE have the same panel, but I wonder if any difference in their other circuitry will yield different results - especially in relation to the crimson tint and lines in the upper corner.

The XL2420T has the same problem with the crimson or pinkish tint under Lightboost, so it hasn't been fixed by BenQ from the looks of things. If I surmise that Asus characteristics won't be too different, and won't make huge changes to their firmware in the VG248QE versus the VG278H, it shouldn't have this problem.

I believe many ppl have made their displays defective using this method.
Also if you have cats / kids there is alot more chance of it getting destroyed.

I really love my S23A700D, however according reviews it has input lag.

Shame that this Asus looks like a matte display :mad:

Excellent. Nice to see Amazon is not jacking up the price for this unit. I cant wait for the hardcore testers to benchmark this unit. (input lag, lightboost tweaks)

I never bought from Amazon before, so I rather wait for Newegg stock. But if it they release it on Amazon first then I'll go ahead and buy it there.

I just pre-ordered 3 of them thru Amazon....

I never bought from Amazon but I almost feel tempted to preorder one for $280 with the Free Shipping. I"m just scared I'm going to get screwed over with their Policy's such as Dead Pixel Policy, Return Policy, all that stuff because I know nothing about how it works for Amazon.

I mean I don't want to buy the dagom thing then have it break on the way and they want me to pay to ship it back. I hate that.

I tried looking for information but the stuff I found is pretty vague and I don't feel confident ordering from them that way. So personally I'm just goign to wait for them to get the monitor at Newegg.

I had amazing experience with amazon, got a DOA 60" TV, returned it without any hassles.

amazon also has 3% cashback with their CC.. ends up being only $270 shipped
going to give time for pros here and review sites to evaluate it before going forward.

Newegg will have it within a week.

I had amazing experience with amazon, got a DOA 60" TV, returned it without any hassles.

amazon also has 3% cashback with their CC.. ends up being only $270 shipped
going to give time for pros here and review sites to evaluate it before going forward.

I'm all in, is a risk I have no problem taking.
I currently have an Asus VE248H 24" which I am really pleased with, so from what I read online the VG248QE should Look pretty similar (Image Wise) to the Asus I have now, except for the new added futures like OSD, 3D and 144Hz rather than 60hz which I currently have.

Newegg will have it within a week

Now, when you say, Newegg is goign to have it within 1 week. Would that imply that the People who preordered from Amazon Now will have the monitor before Newegg even gets it in stock?

I'm no pro... but I'm attemping to run these monitors at 120Hz in Eyefinity off of 2 MSI 7970 Lightning using displayport connection I don't know if it will work. I'll post here when I get them and let everyone know.

And Amazon is great btw. Been ordering from them for a while now.

I'm no pro... but I'm attemping to run these monitors at 120Hz in Eyefinity off of 2 MSI 7970 Lightning using displayport connection I don't know if it will work. I'll post here when I get them and let everyone know.

And Amazon is great btw. Been ordering from them for a while now.

why not run them 144hz?

I have the 27" 144 hz from asus. I really like the 144 hz features. I can't go back to 60 hz anymore. Even with higher res. I just can't stand 60 hz.

I paid for expediated shipping and handling ... I'm hopeing to have mine by next weekend.

I pre ordered, why is amazon direct only offering free 3-5 biz day shipping? No Prime 2 day shipping option.

I pre ordered, why is amazon direct only offering free 3-5 biz day shipping? No Prime 2 day shipping option.

I was wondering that too. There was a expediated processing option when I checked out that I paid for. I can't wait to test these out.

I was wondering that too. There was a expediated processing option when I checked out that I paid for. I can't wait to test these out.

I just checked back on my order and it looks like they have added other shipping options! I was able to upgrade to 1 day shipping! :D

I just did the 30 day Trial for Amazon Prime and 1 day shipping for 3 monitors is 11.97. Took me a few mins to figure it out though but now I'm super stoked.

I just did the 30 day Trial for Amazon Prime and 1 day shipping for 3 monitors is 11.97. Took me a few mins to figure it out though but now I'm super stoked.
That's was up dude! I just like now remembered I have a $25 gift code that I got 2 days ago from Newegg. So after all this debating if I should get it from Amazon or not, I have decided to just wait for Newegg stock so I can use the $25 code for it. :p If it wasn't for the the code I would have bought it from Amazon, most likely tonight.

Pre-ordered. Though I think I just bought a prime membership. Never was offered the trial. :-(

That's was up dude! I just like now remembered I have a $25 gift code that I got 2 days ago from Newegg. So after all this debating if I should get it from Amazon or not, I have decided to just wait for Newegg stock so I can use the $25 code for it. :p If it wasn't for the the code I would have bought it from Amazon, most likely tonight.

It will cost you more than that in return cost differences if you don't like it and you're going in blind. Doesn't NE charge 10% restock or something?

Back