Asus VE278Q

I have some questions about the Asus VE278Q:

1. Is windows default font size normal (or you find it big/small and need to change windows to custom DPI size) ?

2. Does Asus have PC software to change brightness, contrast, custom temperature and to make some custom profiles?

3. If not, is it possible to use 3rd party software ?
Some examples:
dtuner: http://nicomsoft.com/dtuner/
mcontrol: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/

I don't use the LCD buttons and I need 2 profiles (gaming and browsing).

4.Does VE278Q makes any kind of audible electrical noise ?
A lot of lcd screens make electrical noise (can´t stand it in a silent room).

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Mr. Wolf,
1) Default seems fine. I debated going to 125% but with dual monitors, standard was good. I wouldn't sit too far away but yes, it is pretty good.
2) No custom software AFAIK. The disc in it is just drivers IIRC.
3) I assume 3rd party works. I might try them later but right now I'm somewhat satisfied with the picture.
4) No noise AFAIK. I can't hear anything, even with music off.

Can someone post a picture of the input rack on this monitor? All of the stock photos on ASUS' site only show the back of the monitor.

Thanks in advance!

Picked this one up over the weekend. I thought it was busted at first as I was playing Fable 3 on it and it was ghosting all over the place. Turns out that excessive blurring is "art style/design choice" rather than a problem with my monitor.

Critique
Prepare to be blinded if you are looking at an all white webpage/doc. Default settings are bright as heck.

As stated elsewhere in the thread, the OSD controls are placed on the bottom of the monitor, and they're not ordered well either. For instance: |DownKey| |Menu Key| |Up Key| . If you're tapping at buttons blindly, you end up hitting the Menu button by accident often. It doesn't help that the Menu button's context changes depending on which part of the menu you're in: sometimes it's a select button, and sometimes it's a cancel button.

The monitor does not include a manual explaining what any of the OSD options do. "Trace Free", with options to set it between 0-100? That's great and all, but I have no idea what it does! Does a higher value mean there is less tracing/ghosting? Or does the lower value mean that? I checked Asus' website over the weekend, and there isn't a PDF available for download either.

The included base for the monitor is barely sufficient. Making any angle adjustments is always a two-hand operation unless you're looking to tip the thing over. Thinking about replacing this with a monitor arm.

Praise
Going from a four year old 20 inch LCD to this... there is no comparison. I now know what the color (or shade, if you're a stickler) black looks like again. Looks great in the dark, and stands up very well to daylight, too.

I've got my Xbox 360 hooked in through VGA, and PC hooked in through DVI. Easy to switch between inputs via the dedicated button, but unfortunate that you have to cycle through all inputs, even if there is nothing hooked into them. Would have been nice to see it auto-detect which inputs are live.

One of my favorite things about this display is the picture-in-picture. Again, the OSD controls are crappy for it, but when it's going, it's great! There are multiple sizes and locations for the PIP window, and it is dynamically shaped depending on the resolution of the input being hosted up through the PIP (4:3, 16:10, etc).

After three days, I'm very happy with my purchase. I'll post a pic or two a little later.

I have to echo what you said about the lack of an auto-detect feature @zolointo. There should be no reason to cycle past unused inputs and also no reason it can't default to a certain input like my 3 year old Hannspree did.
Otherwise, I'm still pretty happy. 27" of real estate is definitely nice.

2 questions:

Would any of you recommend this as a monitor for PS3 gaming/movies?

Would any of you recommend this over a Dell U2311H, even though the Dell is smaller and an IPS panel?

Thanks

I can't comment on the Dell, but I use this for my PS3 and love it. Colors are rich and there isn't any ghosting. I'd set the RGB range to limited though- full makes it too dark for some games. It also accepts 24p from BD. Not sure if it is doing anything for it but who knows.

Just got this monitor and I love how big it is compared to my old 22" monitor!

What kind of settings are you guys using for brightness/contrast and color temp? Right now I'm using 60/80 and normal. Also, what's the best way to calibrate a monitor without spending money on calibrating equipment? :p

Thanks!

Ok so I need to know what the true contrast ratio on the VE278Q is before I buy it. This 1000000:1 is junk for gaming IMHO . You turn and shoot one guy in the face then watch the DC try and catch up as you turn toward a dark area and shoot the next guy in the face. I cant find it anywhere online. Days of forum hunting, googling , yahooing and even ASUS support have yielded nothing on the static contrast ratio of the VE278Q. If you post it I can say with pretty good certainty that you will be the first.

Last edited:
Just got this monitor and I love how big it is compared to my old 22" monitor!

What kind of settings are you guys using for brightness/contrast and color temp? Right now I'm using 60/80 and normal. Also, what's the best way to calibrate a monitor without spending money on calibrating equipment? :p

Thanks!
I have been using this for years . I have used expensive dvd calibration also with the same exact results. http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Ok so I need to know what the true contrast ratio on the VE278Q is before I buy it. This 1000000:1 is junk for gaming IMHO . You turn and shoot one guy in the face then watch the DC try and catch up as you turn toward a dark area and shoot the next guy in the face. I cant find it anywhere online. Days of forum hunting, googling , yahooing and even ASUS support have yielded nothing on the static contrast ratio of the VE278Q. If you post it I can say with pretty good certainty that you will be the first.

I'm thinking they don't actually report the static contrast of these monitors. The bogus claim of a dynamic contrast of 10,000,000:1 is just marketing fluff. And, its not the contrast ratio that makes them bad for gaming. Hell, access time (rise and fall) are more interesting than contrast ratios. Not sure if there is a monitor program that could give actual output levels vs. what the marketing claims are, but I know I've seen reviews where they could check for a panel's actual speed (MaxPC comes to mind).

Still, for a 27" TN panel, I bit and just ordered 2 from Buy.com today as they are on sale for $332 + free shipping.

Yes I agree with every thing you said however if this mono is 700:1 CR then I can get a cheapo i-inc with fast response times. Hell most lcd monitors made now are less then 5 ms gtg and virtually no input lag. "HDTV is another story" But most LCD monitors list there static CR and they can be measured and yes I know that the 1000000:1 is BS that's why I wanted to know the static however I said screw it and ordered it . If the CR sucks to bad Ill send it back

anyone has one with build in web cam cause i really want to know the quality of video chatting as i need it to talk back home all the way to India and was wondering if it's good one i was gonna order one so i can video chat and do some work at the same time.

Thanks
CB

I got this monitor yesterday and in some ways it is very nice especially the blacks, colors and response time... if you're sitting perfectly still and at the perfect distance. I went from a dell 2405fpw but the one thing I've noticed is the off angle viewing is atrocious.

even sitting dead on I am getting discoloration in the corners and the top and bottom. If I go slightly off angle a good 1/3 of the screen loses some color and brightness. Merely bobbing my head up and down causes noticeable darkening at the top and bottom

to give an example on this forum if I have a post in the middle of the screen it looks normal with a dark grey background, but the post right above it shows almost a black background

I think im going to return it very shortly here

Last edited:
Definitely impressive:

The VE278Q does a more than satisfactory job of reproducing colours without the need for any further intervention. No one colour dominates, and although the gamma curve is slightly out of place, there is no real problem with the distribution of brightness across different shades of grey. The deltaE score, or the average discrepancy between the colours requested by the graphics card and those actually shown on screen, is under 3.0, the limit below which we consider the colour reproduction to be accurate.

We still tried to see if we could make things any better, but we didn't manage. But don't worry, this monitor is very good as it is and will be perfectly fine for the majority of users. The only people who might have a real problem with it are those who spend a lot of time editing photos, or users who can't stand TN technology because of the uneven nature of colours. They're more likely to want to try an IPS-based screen, like the Dell U2410.

At over 980:1, the VE278Q's contrast ratio is above the average value for monitors, 850:1.

The monitor does not include a manual explaining what any of the OSD options do. "Trace Free", with options to set it between 0-100? That's great and all, but I have no idea what it does! Does a higher value mean there is less tracing/ghosting? Or does the lower value mean that? I checked Asus' website over the weekend, and there isn't a PDF available for download either.

Trace Free should be set to 40 to reduce motion blur according to the Digital Versus review.
http://www.digitalversus.com/asus-ve278q-p357_10137_150.html

Is this guy serious ...

Check this out
Unbelievable... I hope no one falls for that scam or typo.

I got this monitor yesterday and in some ways it is very nice especially the blacks, colors and response time... if you're sitting perfectly still and at the perfect distance. I went from a dell 2405fpw but the one thing I've noticed is the off angle viewing is atrocious.

even sitting dead on I am getting discoloration in the corners and the top and bottom. If I go slightly off angle a good 1/3 of the screen loses some color and brightness. Merely bobbing my head up and down causes noticeable darkening at the top and bottom

to give an example on this forum if I have a post in the middle of the screen it looks normal with a dark grey background, but the post right above it shows almost a black background

I think im going to return it very shortly here
I just got a VE276Q and was going to get two more for Eyefinity, but am a bit concerned about viewing angles, especially when I just read this response about the VE278Q. Does anyone know if the viewing angles are better or worse with the VE278Q than the VE276Q?

I also have the HP ZR24w (IPS type monitor) but it bothers my eyes, so I got the VE276Q (CCFL-backlit, standard TFT monitor) and it is fine on my eyes. But now I am tempted by the VE278Q LED version but am also worried it may bother my eyes.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I ended up getting two more VE276Q monitors and Eyefinity looks great. I am not having any viewing angle issues with the side monitors.

I just got this monitor and it seems well built. Nice and bright. There is no backlight leaking around the edges at all, however, the black level just isn't low enough for me to watch movies in a dark room. I wanted to upgrade from my Dell G2410 led and this does not have any better blacks than my Dell, so I'm going to return it.

The PWM strobe effect that the led backlight has is actually slightly more pronounced than the Dell, meaning that if you dart your eyes across a black screen with several bright areas, the bright areas will sortof "breakup." Its not that bad though. Not nearly as bad as the PWM effect i've seen on the LED taillights of certain cars. I'm more sensitive to this than others, so take it with a grain of salt.

I've tried all of the Splendid modes and have turned the brightness down to zero on all of them and the black is just too light on all of them. The sRGB mode is a joke. The only modes that have good contrast for use at night are Cinema and Scenery. I havent measured it yet, but my Delll G2410 is 0.10cd/m2 at 0% brightness and the Asus at 0% in Cinema looks exactly the same. For me, there is no upgrade here in terms of picture quality, but the size is definitely nice.

1080p/24Hz works. No obvious judder during bluray playback. It looks like it does 72hz too, but I haven't tested it.

Menu buttons are hard to use. you need to spread your fingers across all five buttons to go up down, enter, and exit. That being said, the reaction time of the interface is super fast. If you press and hold the brightness key and it goes from 0% to 100% faster than a 911 turbo.

I haven't seen it in the dark, but I am guessing the VE276Q probably can do lower brightness than this one can, since it is CCFL backlit. Oh well, time to try Samsung! The viewsonic 27 is probably the best one for me, but it just too ugly for my tastes.

I got my VE276Q. I can compare it to my 28'' HannsG 28'' of a few years old.

As an input lag freak it is kinda sad to see the Asus on average 1/60th (0.016s, 16.67ms) behind the Hanns G. Thats not a huge amount but still..

I got my VE276Q. I can compare it to my 28'' HannsG 28'' of a few years old.

As an input lag freak it is kinda sad to see the Asus on average 1/60th (0.016s, 16.67ms) behind the Hanns G. Thats not a huge amount but still..

How did you test the monitors?

Heyas,

Well the lag is relative to the Hanns G HG281DJ. I tested two ways:

- 3Dmark 2003, making a photo of both screens, writing down the time. After 15 shots the Asus was 0.016 seconds behind.

- race simulator, cloned displays, filmed with my 60fps digicam, giving a sudden input, makes the on screen steering wheel turn. The Asus almost always (dozens of times) starts to show steering wheel movement 1 frame after the Hanns-G.

The Hanns G lacks clever scaling and OSD functions, the Asus has quite a few more things like 1:1 pixel mapping, picture in picture, I guess the image processing tends to add a frame of lag.

I hope one day monitors in 'game mode' will bypass the processing completely. I noticed no difference in lag between the Asus display modes, game mode wasn't faster. The Hanns-G is well known for its low lag, so its not like the Asus is a slow screen. The latency when I turn my G25 steering wheel and I see on screen response of the graphics wheel is 0.033 seconds, which you can't really notice.

Edit: Oh, and it doesn't come with a displayport cable! EyeFinity users beware of some extra $ to spend on that! :S

Last edited:
Every monitor has some shit going on with it. Much rather deal with something like this that's clearly returnable and infrequent rather than something widespread and unreturnable, like tinting and huge bleeding and colored hues.

Thanks for this thread. Was looking for something to serve as a centerpiece for a deliberately mismatched Eyefinity setup and, based on my diagrams, this 27" will be a perfect size match for my two 22"s.

Just came back in stock at Newgg. Ordered one, will see if this thing holds up to scrutiny.

While I don't have this one, I just did buy the smaller vs VE247 23.6 inch screen. At $170 cheaper I thought it was a better buy for my needs. Couldn't be happier with it though. Very pleased with the buy.

Just picked one of these up at Frys during lunch. They even price matched with the lowest online vendor that I could find (ProVantage). We'll see whats up when I get home

Just picked one of these up at Frys during lunch. They even price matched with the lowest online vendor that I could find (ProVantage). We'll see whats up when I get home

going to pick mine up after work, thanks for the ProVantage idea....should save me $30 :)

got it from a UPS guy yesterday :D

so far ok. only texts in general are a little blurred although my Win 7 text size is 100% already.

Try using Cleartype. Or decrease your font size (you wouldn't want to increase it if it's blurry).

Run-in with the law? Maybe you mean burn-in...don't think that exists with any kind of monitor, just plasma TVs, if that.

Back