Asus VE278Q

Does anyone else have a problem with the stand for this monitor? I've had it for about a week and well it's great for gaming and all but the stand is pretty bad. If I type too fast the screen will wobble around a bit.
Is there anything I can do to fix this? i've tryed putting paper towels under it and what not but that didn't really help.

I received this yesterday after a few days of delay, thanks to inclement weather and UPS dicking around. Since it was a weeknight, I hardly had extensive time with the thing, but my initial impressions are very positive.

For reference, I also own the monitors in my sig, I'm currently running this as 22"+27"+22" in Eyefinity on a KTA 325 mount, with the 30" underneath.

For further reference,I used to own three Asus 25.5" TNs, which were very good TNs, but still paled in comparison to IPS. The huge blue tint could only be corrected by introducing another slight tint and the brightness was lacking.

This monitor is noticeably better than that model. The blacks are solid black, the usable brightness level is very high - much higher than either of my 22" IPS, and there is no obvious hue tint. SRGB mode still sucks, since you can't adjust brightness for it, but all the other modes have their uses, and you can adjust RGB values, brightness, and contrast for most or all of them.

The colors still aren't as accurate as IPS, as I can see by looking at web pages, but it's still quite good, much better than the Asus 25.5". In short, it's irrelevant unless you made the mistake of purchasing a TN panel for color-dependent work like photography or web design.

In games, it's beautiful. At least in Bad Company 2, colors are vibrant and crisp, much like they are on my 30" wide gamut HP. It makes the sRGB modes I've set on my side panels look flat and plain by comparison, so I'll need to set up a vibrant preset for those two for when I'm not using the web or Word.

I can't speak to the stand because mine is mounted, but the one clear and inescapable flaw in image quality is pixel density. 1080p on a 27" size panel is really stretching it if you intend to spend a lot of time looking at text or care a great deal about its crispness. Maybe this can be fixed with Cleartype but that might mess up things on the other monitors, not sure how it works. It's not as noticeable in games, especially since you can use antialiasing, but it can't compete with the detail of a 30" 2600x1600 or 27" that has similar resolution as a 30".

I'll report more impressions when I have more time to tune it, but the short of it is that Asus has done a really good job with the IQ here. If I were looking for 3 24" panels, there is no way I would waste money on IPS 24" compared with the 24" sibling of this monitor. At this size, though, you lose something in detail, so I'm not going to be using it as a primary monitor or to do much reading.

How it's currently set up:

Resultsx.jpg

Spent some more time with it yesterday, continues to impress. So much better than the Asus VW266Hs I used to have. Even when I set it to warm mode, which is my favorite for games (saturated), the whites don't get pink. Can't say that for either of my 22" IPS.

Old thread I know, but wanted to check in to see if people are still happy with VE2778Q. I just ordered 3 for my first eyefinity experience. :eek: I hope my $1k is well spent.

Old thread I know, but wanted to check in to see if people are still happy with VE2778Q. I just ordered 3 for my first eyefinity experience. :eek: I hope my $1k is well spent.

i'm thinking to buy too 3 for my first eyefinity setup, where did you get it for $1k?

I bought mine at Frys. Took it back. Nothing wrong. Great LCD. Was trying it out and didnt like 27. I like 24 better. If you can get one they are Fantastic. Id almost say that the TN is almost as color rich as a VA, not factual, just my opinion.

i had this monitor for about 2 weeks and ended up returning it due to a stuck pixel. aside from that, i was very happy with it. this has to be one of the best quality TN panels you can buy. i would have exchanged for another VE278Q but Amazon was out of stock so i ordered the CCFL backlit VE276Q as a replacement. had them side by side on my desk for an evening to test them out. the image quality between the two is (expectantly) near identical. if i had to give an edge to one it would be the 6Q because it's a bit warmer than the LED backlit 8Q and the colors looked better to me on the 6Q. this is a subjective thing and me testing without the use of calibration equipment. my particular 8Q had a blue/green tint that i couldn't quite get rid of.

either way, both are excellent monitors and i don't think you can go wrong with either.

@tangoseal, but you own the Asus PA246Q that is a great monitor (IPS).

Yeah I took it back. That was before the IPS purchase. I was trying to find out if I could work with 27 and although the Asus 27 was nice it was too big for my taste. Also I didnt care for the pixel pitch but many people will.

Go and get one if you like cost effective 27" TN with great color and awesome black levels.

Update - received my 3 monitors. 2 had one stuck pixel each. Not horrible, but I'm a little disappointed. Other than that monitors are improvement from my Viewsonic 2739wm.

Update - received my 3 monitors. 2 had one stuck pixel each. Not horrible, but I'm a little disappointed. Other than that monitors are improvement from my Viewsonic 2739wm.

that's a shame, but possibly something that can be looked past. did you happen to purchase through Amazon? the exchange/return process is very easy with them.

that's a shame, but possibly something that can be looked past. did you happen to purchase through Amazon? the exchange/return process is very easy with them.

Newegg, but not worth the hassle at this rate next one most likely have the same issues.

I've never bought an Asus monitor and been unhappy with it. They have excellent build quality IMHO.

I upgraded from a HP w2207 which has served me well for years. I originally got the ve278q from newegg, and it was beautiful but it had two dead pixels which just drove me nuts, I tried everything I could to fix and/or get used to them but couldn't. I ended up returning them to newegg for an exchange but the 278q and 276q were out of stock for awhile.

Ended up getting the 276q off Amazon, and couldn't be happier. Mainly use my desktop for gaming only and it is an amazing screen for that. I don't really see any difference between the 76q or 78q as far as image quality goes, both are worth it if they serve your purpose.

Could someone who has this monitor and a 3d capable 400 series or later Nvidia card try sending it an 85hz 1080p custom resolution over hdmi and see if it works? (hdmi to hdmi connection, NO dvi adapter!) My gut tells me it will, and this thing is fully 85hz capable. Asus is just telling us otherwise due to the dvi bandwidth limitation. Nobody stocks them locally where I could return it if it was stuck at 60hz:(

Here is another update. One of the monitors developed a dark area in the 1/3 lower right corner of the panel. :mad: Pretty pathetic QC if you ask me. So now I have to pay $30 to ship it back and probably another 2 weeks to get a replacement. :mad:
I will think twice before I will buy another Asus monitor in the future.

I didn't get it to do more than 60hz, well, it said it did but it was all choppy and strange. Did it the hardcore custom EDID way, but i'm afraid, no way.

I have replaced my 3 ve276qs with iiyama e2710hds, and the iiyamas have less input lag, and more neutral colours and saturation than I could achieve with the Asus. Especially a purple /pink surrounding black text on the asus was just not good.

Newegg shows the 6Q as deactivated.. guess that helps me make up my mind as to which one I want :-/

My local Fry's has these in stock. I'm thinking about getting one or two of them. I currently have a 28" Hanns-G and a 22" Westinghouse. The Westinghouse makes a horrible buzzing sound now. Can't decide if I want to replace just the Westinghouse or both with the same model.

Just had a bad experience with the Asus VE276Q monitor.
The retailer (Umart Online (Australia)) was awesome though, fantastic service.

1st one had 1 dead red pixel, the replacement again had a dead red pixel, in a different location, but also had a dirt mark under the screen surface.
In the end I got a full refund, put my trusty 3 year old Benq x2200w back on my desktop, and won't bother again until the newer technology monitor's become more affordable.

I am certain now that my Benq has a slightly better picture, also after 3 years, no pixel defects whatsoever.

I realise that it's probably just bad luck, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

I picked up this monitor this weekend. The sheer size of this thing takes some getting used to. I am glad to report that the pixel size doesn't seem too big for desktop use. I prefer the sRGB setting that disables all the monitor image processing. Nice monitor, highly recommended.

Bumping hoping someone has some calibrated settings for this monitor. I have ordered a Huey Pro, but in the mean time I hope someone can share their experiences.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to get some comment regarding viewing angle for this monitor. Also how's the black level and text sharpness?

I currently own a IPS HP ZR24w and the glow is bothering me, going back to TN and plan to buy this one.

Thanks.

Hello drwhoami,

I bought this monitor 3 months ago. While it's pretty bright out of the box that is easy to turn down and change.

The black level is really black and colours are vibrant. It's like the difference between my plasma tv and an lcd screen tv. I don't have any problem with text sharpness it's easy to read and you can change pretty much everything to your likeing.

It looks great and haven't a problem.

Last edited:
I just got one today as well and this monitor makes my Viewsonic VX2739wm look like shit. :eek:

Hello drwhoami,

I bought this monitor 3 months ago. While it's pretty bright out of the box that is easy to turn down and change.

The black level is really black and colours are vibrant. It's like the difference between my plasma tv and an lcd screen tv. I don't have any problem with text sharpness it's easy to read and you can change pretty much everything to your likeing.

It looks great and haven't a problem.

Thanks,

I'm going to buy this then if the glossy HP 2711x I ordered doesn't work out well. I've been using matte all my life, and like to give glossy a try now. I usually game at night with the light off (don't want to disturb the significant other), and usually close my window during the day, so hopefully there won't be much annoyance from the reflection, but we'll see.

I just bought this monitor and really like it, but I see 1 stuck pixel. Should I exchange it or is 1 stuck pixel ok for this monitor?

I just bought this monitor and really like it, but I see 1 stuck pixel. Should I exchange it or is 1 stuck pixel ok for this monitor?

depends on if you can tolerate it or not. i had a stuck magenta pixel on my panel and tried to live with it for two weeks but ultimately decided it was too annoying. mine was located in the middle of the screen vertically and about 2/3 the way across horizontally...so it was difficult not to notice it. i bought through Amazon and exchange was easy and painless.

As an update to my previous post, I have received the Huey Pro for calibrating my monitor. I was hoping to be able to share some monitor settings here, but that's not really they way the Huey works. It calibrates your display using icc profiles instead of manually taking you through the monitor osd functions. I can tell you the closest preset available to a properly calibrated setup is the SRGB preset. Using this with the Huey to correct the colors a bit really resulted in a very nice image. I have been very pleased with this monitor. At first I was worried it might be too large, or that the pixels might be too large. After using it for a couple of weeks all I gotta say is that It feels good. It makes my 22" at work feel claustrophobic :)

Has anyone with this monitor noticed slight dark bands through part of the screen, which are usually more prominent when viewing grey backgrounds?

This one is looking down at the monitor, which seems to make the effect more pronounced. (I'm talking about the lines in the lower half of the screen, not the star shape at the top which is just from the camera):
http://i.imgur.com/FrWcu.jpg

These two are directly facing the screen, which makes them a lot fainter, but still slightly noticeable.
http://i.imgur.com/Ohiew.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XIwUo.jpg

Although this a good monitor for the money/size.
I cant run this it higher than 60hz at native (1080p) screen res.
I've tried an ATI mod tool that can force (if the monitor can physically do this) custom refresh rates; with no success. In the pdf manual I believe 85hz is only supported at 640x480 :rolleyes: So much for 85Hz being advertsied as a headline feature, whose going to use 640x480 on a 27" screen!! :mad:

The highest screen res with a refresh rate above 60hz is 1440x900 @ 70/5Hz

I was hoping (but certainly am not expecting now) that part of the problem was the lack of a driver for this LCD (windows just uses a default PnP monitor driver from 2006) there is NO DRIVER on the UK website (or anywhere else I can find) although their are international manuals with listed screen res's & refresh rates. This is SERIOUSLY slack (so not all resolutions are available) and I just don't get it really. has anyone found or created/hacked one?

Back