• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Asus VE278Q

Can someone post pictures? I'm looking to find these in a portrait eyefinity setup. I'm wondering if it's too tall like that to be able to use. Thanks :)
 
I've tried it but do not have pictures. For me the height was not the problem. The colors were off these monitors did not perform well in portrait.
 
Thanks for that, that's what I was interested. I suppose this isn't the place to continue the discussion about what are good portrait monitors but I'll try to find that out.
 
A bit concerned with purchasing this. I am very weary of backlight bleeding around the edges. Should I be concerned. I have seen reviews of no bleeding and others with bleeding. It's either this of the Samsung S27a350 which cold have the same problem. Any advice. Thanks in advance.
 
A bit concerned with purchasing this. I am very weary of backlight bleeding around the edges. Should I be concerned. I have seen reviews of no bleeding and others with bleeding. It's either this of the Samsung S27a350 which cold have the same problem. Any advice. Thanks in advance.

it's luck of the draw. the VE278Q i previously owned had very little backlight bleed. It's an edge-lit LED monitor (obviously, for the price) so the potential is certainly there. my current VE276Q (which is CCFL lit) has quite a bit of bleed along the bottom edge. backlight bleed is something i notice but doesn't bother me all that much.
 
Are you more likely to get edge bleed with a ccfl over led? I ask because I actually have a ve276 on its way to me now but was going to refuse and get the ve278.
 
Are you more likely to get edge bleed with a ccfl over led? I ask because I actually have a ve276 on its way to me now but was going to refuse and get the ve278.

i'm not sure if one is more prone than the other. like i said it's luck of the draw. buying through amazon is a good idea because they're very lenient with their return policy. i returned the VE278Q because it had a single stuck pixel.
 
What made you decide to go with a ve276 instead of the ve278? Nvmd. I saw it earlier in the thread.
 
Last edited:
What made you decide to go with a ve276 instead of the ve278? Nvmd. I saw it earlier in the thread.

yeesh i just read through my posts in this thread and i sound like a walking billboard for Amazon. needless to say i was happy with them :D. yeah i would have stuck with the 8Q but they were out of stock so i took a shot with the 6Q.
 
Lookin for some advise. I can send back the 276 unopened and reorder a 278 with no restock fees. From all of your experiences should I do that or just stick with the 276.
 
i personally preferred the 6Q's color hue over the 8Q. no matter how much i played with the settings i couldn't get rid of the blue/green hue of the 8Q. some might not like the warm tone of the 6Q but i think it's perfect. bottom line: the CCFL back lighting of the 6Q will have a slightly warmer color hue than the cooler LED 8Q. both are very close in picture quality. if you prefer 'warmer' color hues go with the 6Q, if you prefer 'cooler' go with the 8Q. i'm talking slight differences here....chances are you'd be happy with either, they're both great monitors.
 
One last thing then I'll leave you alone. Lol. How about horizontal or vertical viewing angle between the two. Any difference?
 
One last thing then I'll leave you alone. Lol. How about horizontal or vertical viewing angle between the two. Any difference?

Like I've stated previously - The colors were off these monitors did not perform well in portrait/vertical.
 
I'm considering buying this monitor.
I can't afford an IPS of 2560x1440, cause it would mean to have to buy a new 570 for the SLI and a new power source, and the price difference of the display.
Main purpose is gaming. But I'm a bit concerned about how are small texts displayed.
Are they crisp?

Thanks in advance.
 
I'm considering buying this monitor.
I can't afford an IPS of 2560x1440, cause it would mean to have to buy a new 570 for the SLI and a new power source, and the price difference of the display.
Main purpose is gaming. But I'm a bit concerned about how are small texts displayed.
Are they crisp?

Thanks in advance.

No issues, text is sharp and clear.
 
As an update to my previous post, I have received the Huey Pro for calibrating my monitor. I was hoping to be able to share some monitor settings here, but that's not really they way the Huey works. It calibrates your display using icc profiles instead of manually taking you through the monitor osd functions. I can tell you the closest preset available to a properly calibrated setup is the SRGB preset. Using this with the Huey to correct the colors a bit really resulted in a very nice image. I have been very pleased with this monitor. At first I was worried it might be too large, or that the pixels might be too large. After using it for a couple of weeks all I gotta say is that It feels good. It makes my 22" at work feel claustrophobic :)

Isn't it possible to copy the profile which the Huey has created and upload that?
Cheers
 
Ahh really? Damn I was considering getting one cheap off the bay.
I like his standard settings but the game ones seem to make everything overblown in my opinion. I'll keep tinkering.
 
I just picked up this monitor today and was severely disappointed to hear a constant high pitched whine come from it while it's on. As soon as I turn the power on the monitor off it goes away so I know it's the monitor. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? If not I guess I'll take it back and continue my hunt for a good 27"er. :(
 
Yeah I have that problem, the noise disappears when the brightness is lowered. I think I'm also suffering from backlight bleed across the bottom. The taskbar in windows is alot brighter than anything at the top of the screen.
 
Got mine yesterday. No dead pixels, no stuck pixels. No high pitched noise.
First impression: Damn to big when coming from 22" one... :D

Can someone post their settings for games? More specifically, FPS games.
I'm a bit on the side of having no idea on how to set up a monitor... :(

Thanks in advance.
 
I've given up with custom settings and just have it on sRGB now. Sharpness 50 / Trace Free 40. I also use the AI light feature to prevent my retinas from being burnt out. :p
I was going to buy a huey and give the calibration ago but I can't afford one at the moment.
 
I've given up with custom settings and just have it on sRGB now. Sharpness 50 / Trace Free 40. I also use the AI light feature to prevent my retinas from being burnt out. :p
I was going to buy a huey and give the calibration ago but I can't afford one at the moment.

Must admit I've just done the same. sRGB with AI on. As vibrant as the dispay is I feel my eyes want to explode. Played around with Win7 calibration, and different image files from various calibration websites and all I seem to do is either make the screen washed out or the black text on white background unreadable and blurry :(

I can't actually work out whether it's the gamma, or high brightness or high contrast which is making white on black so awful to read - if this was a TV I'd look to reduce the backlight levels but I can't seem to do that.

Thankfully, Game mode works great for BF3.

Any advice Dear Readers ? For general use should contrast be generally higher than brightness (in a fairly dim room)?
 
Last edited:
As far as I'm aware the brightness option = backlight.
The past few days I have been using theatre mode (with ASCR On) on the xbox, it gives much more vibrant colours over sRGB, but for PC use I'm sticking with sRGB and AI Light on.
 
I don't have this monitor - I do have the ASUS VG236H and the ASUS VE258Q and both have been incredible, never though I'd say this, but I'm now a big fan of ASUS displays.
 
I picked this monitor up from Fry's a few days ago. Had a stuck pixel but I massaged it away. Also, it has a slight whine, but only if I turn my ear toward it and even then it's not too noticeable. Overall, I'm really happy with this monitor. The best picture I can expect out of a 27" TN panel, imo.
 
Volume, that depends on how good your at picking up high pitch sound, as for me my hearing is incredible good, and it drives me crazy.

When I build my new computer I thought the high pitch sound was coming from my computer, so I changed out many component. After wasting a lot of money and effort on replacement, I found out that it was coming from the monitor....it has been 30+ days so I can't return. I try RMA, took 20 days, and was returned with the same problem, they say there was no problem found... Not only that they added a lot of scratches to the back of my monitor...

Do you know how annoying a high pitch sound is, if you can hear it? lets say I want to kill someone after hearing it for 10 mins.

I'm not currently using that monitor, I'm going to keep calling the asus customer service until they fix it or replace it. In the end if they don't fix it. I'm going to take a bat and beat the crap out of the monitor and never buy asus again.
 
Doubl0Giggity, I have the same problem check out the forum on it. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038330454


Check out my post in the thread above. I think you have an electrical issue. LED back lit LCD monitors don't have inverters although they still have transformers. Transformers can start vibrating at an audible frequency because of line noise. You really may want to check that out first.

Like I said in the other thread. I've read well over a hundred Newegg reviews for the VE278Q and VK278Q which are identical except for the webcam and not one of the reviews mentions buzzing at all.
 
Just got one of these today, coming from a BenQ G2400W, which I've had for years. Taking a little getting used to, defintely a lot brighter. Pretty sure I made a good "upgrade" but I'm not quite happy with the look yet, any calibration tips?

Current Settings (close to my old BenQ "color look", but actually with a bit less red):

Standard
AI Light: Off
Brightness: 28
Contrast: 65
Color Temp: User R:100 G:98 B:90
Trace Free: 40

also trying:

Standard
AI Light: Off
Brightness: 28
Contrast: 67
Color Temp: User R:100 G:86 B:79
Trace Free: 40
 
Last edited:
Just got one of these today, coming from a BenQ G2400W, which I've had for years. Taking a little getting used to, defintely a lot brighter. Pretty sure I made a good "upgrade" but I'm not quite happy with the look yet, any calibration tips?

i have the VE276Q which is the same panel just CCFL lit. if you're looking for a more natural look (less saturation, not 'cartoony') stick with sRGB. also Standard mode with some adjustments looks natural.
 
Yeah I am defintely leaning towards my tweaked Standard or sRGB. Theater mode tweaked can be kind of fun for a bit, but I couldn't really leave it there.
 
I've read some reports of up to a 18ms lag with this monitor. Has anyone experienced this? If so, does it cause them problems with game like Battlefield or other FPS games? Thanks!
 
I picked this monitor up from Fry's a few days ago. Had a stuck pixel but I massaged it away. Also, it has a slight whine, but only if I turn my ear toward it and even then it's not too noticeable. Overall, I'm really happy with this monitor. The best picture I can expect out of a 27" TN panel, imo.

How hard did you have to press on the screen to massage the dead pixel? I RMA'd my ve278q because it had faint dark streaks through it. They sent back what looks to be a refurb, which works fine with no dark streaks.. except it has a single stuck pixel near the right edge. Not nearly as noticeable as the lines, but still slightly annoying. I've been running UDPixel on it for a while, but I really don't want to crack the screen or create more dead pixels by pushing on it too hard.
 
My local Fry's has the monitor for a good price with a mail in rebate.
I was looking at getting Samsung, but the price on the VE278Q is so much better.
Anyone have any regrets on buying the VE278Q?
 
My local Fry's has the monitor for a good price with a mail in rebate.
I was looking at getting Samsung, but the price on the VE278Q is so much better.
Anyone have any regrets on buying the VE278Q?

I don't... I love mine.
 
Back
Top