ASUS PG279Q 144hz 1440P IPS G-Sync

It's panel roulette. Unlike the Acer XB271HU, you can get a quality PG279Q or a terrible one.

Are you saying the Acer one is problem free or are you saying that it's impossible to get a good Acer one? Because I'm contemplating on returning the Asus one and trying my luck with the Acer one instead.

Are you saying the Acer one is problem free or are you saying that it's impossible to get a good Acer one? Because I'm contemplating on returning the Asus one and trying my luck with the Acer one instead.

people are having good luck with the new panel mounting in the acer.

I'm using 0, as anything other than zero, I tend to think the screen becomes too yellow.

Also, does anyone else have this problem? When viewing whites on this monitor, the top 40% or so has a slight yellowish hue, while the bottom 60% of the screen is pure white. Ack, this is the main thing that's bothering me about this monitor. The IPS glow and blacklight bleeding - I think I can live with but the yellowish tint on white screens is really bothering me.

I havent have this issue so far. I even asked my wife if she could tell the difference because you had me worried and she said it's perfectly even. I'll upload some videos later both black and white background. Hopefully it's not that bad as it seems

Acer ones seem to be problem free so far.

I wouldn't say problem free, there are still plenty of bad units people have gotten. It's hard to say if it's because panels manufactured in September are just crap and all later panels (both Acer and Asus) are just better on average.

I havent have this issue so far. I even asked my wife if she could tell the difference because you had me worried and she said it's perfectly even. I'll upload some videos later both black and white background. Hopefully it's not that bad as it seems

Ok, you're lucky, then. This is how I can tell on mine. When I visit Yahoo, and scroll down, as the text moves from down to up, I can easily spot the white background becoming yellowish. It's very distracting. And then when I compare the bottom of the screen versus the top on Yahoo's site, I can clearly see that the bottom part is noticeably whiter than the top. Ack!

Replacement monitor. No dead pixels, but about the backlight bleed:

JdYPV7Y.png

I'm just wondering if I can do better...

Did you use mobile phone camera to take that pic?

Yeah. I'm not a professional photographer (so I don't own a real camera anymore), but you can see the main spots of bleed in the bottom left and upper right. The other spots are pretty much non existent when looking at it.

Yeah. I'm not a professional photographer (so I don't own a real camera anymore), but you can see the main spots of bleed in the bottom left and upper right. The other spots are pretty much non existent when looking at it.

reason I asked, it looks bad on a camera phone, but if you take a video like Vega did, it's not that bad at all. I think it's just the phone camera. Mine looks bad if I take a pic of no light with my phone, but in reality, it's minimal BLB. the IPS glow is something we can't do anything about.

IPS glow doesn't bother me. I have all IPS monitors, including professional devices which cost far more than this monitor. It's the bleed, which is visible to the naked eye on dark screens. It gives an inconsistency that's not there on my other monitors.

I sent my monitor back to Amazon for a complete refund. The upper portion of my monitor being yellow on white screens is a dealbreaker for me. No sense in RMA'ing this either, as I see nothing but horror story after horror story for this monitor. Once Amazon credits my account, I'm buying the Acer one. Vega's videos/review, along with the more favorable consumer reviews for that monitor have convinced me that's the monitor to go with.

Replacement monitor. No dead pixels, but about the backlight bleed:

I'm just wondering if I can do better...

I doubt it and here's my best guess why by my best "information overload recon":

AU Optronics. That's where the panels for the Asus and Acers (and maybe others?) come from yes?

If so then that means we're really talking about panel roulette on AU Optronics panels regardless of brand. I've scoured these threads for months and I see the same types of complaints including in the new Acer thread right now. Same stuff.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now that I'm aware that the Acer is generally better where IPS glow and backlight bleed are concerned, I've initiated an RMA with newegg (they automatically covered return shipping as Premiere even though this monitor isn't tagged as Premiere item).

But. . . I'm getting cold feet. I've got six more days before the shipping label expires. Going to use this thing a bit longer. Maybe I'll stick with it.

I know, cool story, eh?

People said the same shit about the last Asus ROG Swift. I've been rocking one since they launched and it's been fantastic, don't listen to the hype train. Just go buy one and enjoy your games, it's not as bad as it seems.

People only complain on forums when there is a problem, you don't see the thousands of other happy customers.

How is it not as bad as it seems when every professional review and pretty much every single photo posted online shows awful uniformity and black light bleed?

Now that I'm aware that the Acer is generally better where IPS glow and backlight bleed are concerned, I've initiated an RMA with newegg (they automatically covered return shipping as Premiere even though this monitor isn't tagged as Premiere item).

But. . . I'm getting cold feet. I've got six more days before the shipping label expires. Going to use this thing a bit longer. Maybe I'll stick with it.

I know, cool story, eh?
I can assure you acer is no better when it comes to back light bleed Ive already gone through 2 and both had bad backlight bleed.

I can assure you acer is no better when it comes to back light bleed Ive already gone through 2 and both had bad backlight bleed.
If I'm not mistaken, Vega has had four of each, and his findings were different.

IPS glow is slightly better (or, more silver and less distracting, though I can't explain how) and the bezel design is less prone to backlight bleed.

I'm not saying it will be perfect. But it's perhaps reasonable to expect better.

Regardless, I'm actually considering sitting out a few months and giving up on gaming for a while. . . and then maybe I'll jump back in with an X34 ultrawide.

It's hard going back to only 1920x1200 with no g-sync at 60Hz. :(

If I'm not mistaken, Vega has had four of each, and his findings were different.

Vega is an animal. Vega can fix anything he gets. ;)

It's all AU Optronics panel roulette. He got good ones. That's just the way this all is across the boards. I doubt the brand matters that much. I've been information overload data gathering all over the place since I'm watching this scene closely in case I get the nerve to take one of these for a test spin.

It's hard going back to only 1920x1200 with no g-sync at 60Hz. :(

It's been haunting me.

Back early in the summer I took that 24 inch BenQ TN that's got Gsync, 144Hz, and was only 1080p...I'm running 1920X1200 60Hz IPS...and even with the IPS to TN drop offs I've never forgotten what that newer tech was doing.

That's high praise coming from them. Carries a bit of weight with me.

Yeah, I quite liked the monitor when I had it and it would've been a keeper, had it not been for top half of the screen displaying yellow on white screens! :mad:

So, at this point, I'll have to wait for Amazon to get the Acer in stock and once they do, I'll try my luck with that monitor.

Yeah, I quite liked the monitor when I had it and it would've been a keeper, had it not been for top half of the screen displaying yellow on white screens! :mad:

So, at this point, I'll have to wait for Amazon to get the Acer in stock and once they do, I'll try my luck with that monitor.

Amazon really seems fickle with their computer hardware inventory. Or at least some computer hardware items.

I prefer to do business with them when I can and especially as a Prime customer but there is no way I'm going to be at the mercy of Z shops and third parties.

I halfway wonder if they even want to be bothered with computer hardware at this point.

Amazon really seems fickle with their computer hardware inventory. Or at least some computer hardware items.

I prefer to do business with them when I can and especially as a Prime customer but there is no way I'm going to be at the mercy of Z shops and third parties.

I halfway wonder if they even want to be bothered with computer hardware at this point.

Yeah, I can't even imagine how many returns they must have received for the pg279q already. Must be a crazy amount. At this point, I imagine they'll be very cautious of selling any further pg279q's. So, by that logic, any ones they do receive, they'll make sure they're problem free before selling them, right? ;)

Yeah, I can't even imagine how many returns they must have received for the pg279q already. Must be a crazy amount. At this point, I imagine they'll be very cautious of selling any further pg279q's. So, by that logic, any ones they do receive, they'll make sure they're problem free before selling them, right? ;)

Well... that's a good point. That might be a factor here.

Then again, it might not, as we have almost no idea how many were sold vs. how many were reported bad in forums like this one. Speculating is useless. Buy it or don't.

Took a whole day to remount my new setup. Ordered two pg279qs, one had horrible BLB, dim 1/5 top of screen, so returned that one for a replacement.

nML3XIMh.jpg

Finished missing one replacement pg279q
KQJoKP6h.jpg

A look at the mounts, center is pg279q, right is pg278q
4dRW66Sh.jpg

This model has some serious BLB issues, my experience is mirroring everyone else's on this thread.
W1B50m0h.jpg

With one light on behind me when I took this picture, the BLB is evident compared to the older pg278q.
Wish I had an acer equivalent side by side to compare.

However other than that, color & field of view are great as expected from this AU Optronics panel
Lots more pictures on imgur

Last edited:
Back