ASUS PG279Q 144hz 1440P IPS G-Sync

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm quite salty right now. I've been using the one I ordered from Newegg with the bright spot in the corner and been very much enjoying it. I decided that since I didn't have any bleed issues that I would put up with the bright spot since I rarely notice it. Well today a dead pixel popped up in the top center of the screen. Nope.

I was hoping it was just dust but I'm not that lucky. I ran the stuck pixel fixer for a while just in case but it did not help. Since Amazon has them in stock I ordered one from them. If it comes in and it is good I'll just refund my Newegg order. If it comes in bad I guess I'll ask Newegg for a replacement and try for a third one.

Received PG279Q this afternoon and set it up, used the settings Swank recommended and applied his ICC profile he provided (ROG PG279Q_79_Standard Mode.icm).

I think I got really lucky because I am not seeing dead pixels or other issues.

Here is one quick shot I took after setup:

Received PG279Q this afternoon and set it up, used the settings Swank recommended and applied his ICC profile he provided (ROG PG279Q_79_Standard Mode.icm).

I think I got really lucky because I am not seeing dead pixels or other issues.

Here is one quick shot I took after setup:

probably the least shitty looking image posted so far. (people have terrible cameras). I looks decent but what about black background

probably the least shitty looking image posted so far. (people have terrible cameras). I looks decent but what about black background

The first few backgrounds I tried were all dark (black) and looked fantastic. I will try to get some other shots later tonight.

Monitors arrived. First had non existent backlight bleed and IPS glow, but had dust in the panel sadly. The second is flawless in terms of the screen (no dead pixels nor dust), but has significant backlight bleed in the lower left side of the screen. I'm not sure what to do right now.

I guess for the time being, I can live with the bleed, and when my Acer monitors arrive, see if any of them are better. (If I wasn't such a chicken, I would try to take the panel apart to fix the bleed).

I had a very strange issue today which i cannot seem to figure out. So i turned all 3 monitors on, the PG279Q (main display) everything was fuzzy, my two other monitors had no fuzziness. I couldn't figure out why, I unplugged the display port on the monitor and plugged it back in, signal disappeared. and my two other monitors went into sleep mode, with my primary display showing no display port signal. I managed to reboot my monitor and everything was fine again. What would cause this to happen?

Mine was dated October 2015 - 6.32A.

Still no issues noted, really happy about the quality and performance so far.

yea i am hoping these issues are mostly related to September...so far everyone with September had bad screens and October has been good right?

No. People on OC Forums have reported the problems are still there. The 1/3 yellow banding apparently increases with use. I'd wait another month, personally if you want the ASUS. I jumped on the Acer, since well, Asus' QC is somehow worse and these panels seem to have more issues than they need to at present. It is far more likely to get a better October panel than September, though, but still not at a QC you'd find on a 900$ pricetag.

No. People on OC Forums have reported the problems are still there. The 1/3 yellow banding apparently increases with use. I'd wait another month, personally if you want the ASUS. I jumped on the Acer, since well, Asus' QC is somehow worse and these panels seem to have more issues than they need to at present. It is far more likely to get a better October panel than September, though, but still not at a QC you'd find on a 900$ pricetag.

agreed thats why i haven't bought one yet. I dont got the time to dick around with returns and pissing amazon or newegg off anymore then i already do.

Mine was dated October 2015 - 6.32A.

Still no issues noted, really happy about the quality and performance so far.

Could you take a picture with a completely black full screen? You can just load up a web browser tab then hit F11.

My monitor came in today. It is a September unit. I have at least two dead pixels and a pretty massive 6 pixel spot which I am assuming is dust as well as a 4 pixel spot a few inches from it. The bleed is also worse than my first one but nothing too terrible. Completely unacceptable. This will be going back as well. Here's hoping number three comes in OK. It fucking blows my mind that this is considered acceptable by Asus.

These pictures were hard to take to appear properly, best I could do with lighting conditions:

Taking a pic of a black screen in the dark is not as easy as it seems and not sure it is a fair representation. The IPS glow would change in every image dependent on the angle or lighting.

Taking a pic of a black screen in the dark is not as easy as it seems and not sure it is a fair representation. The IPS glow would change in every image dependent on the angle or lighting.

It's not the glow which bothers me. I can live with IPS glow. It's the backlight bleed. (A lot of people get these two things confused).

I'm still debating as far as whether to return the working one, as it's near perfect except for one spot with backlight bleed.

Noticed something weird this morning - trying to go to Itunes Store it won't display at 2560 x 1440 resolution (I only get top tiles and bottom 3/4's content not useable). I can play movies and videos at the 2560 x 1440 resolution but can only see Itunes Store content by reducing screen resolution. On driver version 359.06 released 12/1 - anyone else have this issue or suggestions to resolution. On an iMAC 5K I have no issues seeing the Itunes Store content. Kind of annoying!

Called Apple Support, no solutions - but problem magically rectified itself, now working again.

Suspect Itunes Store server issues.

Thank you for posting the pic(s) WxChaser! Looks like you have a little BLB in the lower right corner and a bit near the bottom left. Seems like that is extremely common in these displays. My screen looks very similar to yours.

Thank you for posting the pic(s) WxChaser! Looks like you have a little BLB in the lower right corner and a bit near the bottom left. Seems like that is extremely common in these displays. My screen looks very similar to yours.

No problem. It depends on the angle of the photograph how much "bleed" you see. Since I don't just stare at a blank screen for long, I barely notice it. I really like the display so far.

nice write up Vega. I got my ASUS PG279Q today and has minimal to almost nothing BLB. No dead pixels or dust that I could see. But I'm torn apart of between this monitor or my UM95. Love the real state of UM95 but the 60hz kills it and I thought I could get use to it again.

Sounds like you could use the X34. Bit of both worlds.

Sounds like you could use the X34. Bit of both worlds.

Yea, I'm thinking of doing that, but Amazon hasnt had any stocks of X34 recently.

Edit: Since you have the experience for both monitors X34 and ASUS 79Q, can you see the difference between the 165hz vs 100?

Last edited:
Yea, I'm thinking of doing that, but Amazon hasnt had any stocks of X34 recently.

Edit: Since you have the experience for both monitors X34 and ASUS 79Q, can you see the difference between the 165hz vs 100?

does it support ULMB?

Just curious what if any blue light settings any owners are using? I have the blue light filter set to 1 as I sit about 12 inches away from the monitor.

I'm pretty happy with mine although I don't really have a PC to test it with since I sold my sig rig and my new build is still in peices. I'm mightly impressed with the build quality of the PG279Q compared to my old Acer XB270HU. The OSD joystick is a dream to use.

Just curious what if any blue light settings any owners are using? I have the blue light filter set to 1 as I sit about 12 inches away from the monitor.

I'm using 0, as anything other than zero, I tend to think the screen becomes too yellow.

Also, does anyone else have this problem? When viewing whites on this monitor, the top 40% or so has a slight yellowish hue, while the bottom 60% of the screen is pure white. Ack, this is the main thing that's bothering me about this monitor. The IPS glow and blacklight bleeding - I think I can live with but the yellowish tint on white screens is really bothering me.

I'm using 0, as anything other than zero, I tend to think the screen becomes too yellow.

Also, does anyone else have this problem? When viewing whites on this monitor, the top 40% or so has a slight yellowish hue, while the bottom 60% of the screen is pure white. Ack, this is the main thing that's bothering me about this monitor. The IPS glow and blacklight bleeding - I think I can live with but the yellowish tint on white screens is really bothering me.

yea the backlight is weak on the top 1/4-1/3 of screen

Back