ASUS PG279Q 144hz 1440P IPS G-Sync

Correct, the U2415 is 16/10 aspect ratio... vertical size is almost the same to the 27'' 16/9

The defect may be a little enhanced by the photo, but my eyes see the same.

All three monitors has been calibrated to 120cdmq with X-Rite colorimeter.
I also tested a Dell U2715h so long in my workplace, and it's much better than this Asus.

+1

Couldn't agree more, this is an awesome monitor, BUT the black levels are pure shit. In a dark room or bright room the blacks on this monitor look grey.

Correct, the U2415 is 16/10 aspect ratio... vertical size is almost the same to the 27'' 16/9

The defect may be a little enhanced by the photo, but my eyes see the same.

All three monitors has been calibrated to 120cdmq with X-Rite colorimeter.
I also tested a Dell U2715h so long in my workplace, and it's much better than this Asus.

Yikes, that looks like really, really bad backlight bleed. I'd probably return that, and I'm usually pretty tolerant when it comes to monitors.

+1

Couldn't agree more, this is an awesome monitor, BUT the black levels are pure shit. In a dark room or bright room the blacks on this monitor look grey.

I wish that was blacks look grey, but in this monitor black looks like yellow, and it's much worse!
On the Dell that little glow visible just in deep black does not alter colors , while on the asus the yellow glow alters them so much!

thats why 16:9 sucks.

That's funny. I was thinking, "That's why 16:9 sucks." I'm going to be going from an ASUS VW-266H 25.5" 16:10 monitor to this one and I'll be losing close to an inch of vertical screen. If I could get a monitor like this in 16:10, I'd do it.

That's funny. I was thinking, "That's why 16:9 sucks." I'm going to be going from an ASUS VW-266H 25.5" 16:10 monitor to this one and I'll be losing close to an inch of vertical screen. If I could get a monitor like this in 16:10, I'd do it.

the day they offer a 16:10 4K screen with back light strobe. I will wet myself in disbelief.

I'm surprised how small it looks compared to the 24", I realize the aspect ratio is different but it looks basically the same size.
It just goes to prove what I have been saying for a long time now: people mainly use the height of a display to judge its "size".
That's part of the reason why I'd much rather have a 16:9 panel than a 21:9 display, and why I never had a problem with 4:3 or 5:4 monitors either.

IMHO, your camera is making it look much worse than it actually is. The Samsung is a VA and the Dell is a much smaller IPS, so it's not really a fair test.
It really doesn't seem that much smaller due to the difference in aspect ratio.
What I think is actually making the difference is the panel type. The PG279Q is using an AUO AHVA "IPS-type" panel while the Dell is using an LG AH-IPS panel.

I really think that we should not refer to all "IPS-type" displays as "IPS" monitors, because AHVA panels clearly don't measure up, and are hurting the reputation of "IPS" monitors in general.

Also, I don't know many people who play or watch movies in a completely dark room. Some bias lighting behind the monitor helps in this situation, something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053B347M
Bias lighting does very little to improve perceived contrast ratio in my opinion. What it mainly seems to do for me is make the screen look small.
What does help with contrast, is increasing the brightness of the room in front of the screen, but watching a movie in a bright room takes me out of the experience.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It just goes to prove what I have been saying for a long time now: people mainly use the height of a display to judge its "size".
That's part of the reason why I'd much rather have a 16:9 panel than a 21:9 display, and why I never had a problem with 4:3 or 5:4 monitors either.

What I think is actually making the difference is the panel type. The PG279Q is using an AUO AHVA "IPS-type" panel while the Dell is using an LG AH-IPS panel.

I really think that we should not refer to all "IPS-type" displays as "IPS" monitors, because AHVA panels clearly don't measure up, and are hurting the reputation of "IPS" monitors in general.

Bias lighting does very little to improve perceived contrast ratio in my opinion. What it mainly seems to do for me is make the screen look small.
What does help with contrast, is increasing the brightness of the room in front of the screen, but watching a movie in a bright room takes me out of the experience.

you got more screen on your desk space with 16:10 and 4:3. I could fit 3 30 16:10s just as well as 3 27 16:9 and also have more pixels. So annoying. 16:10 combined the pros of 4:3 and 16:9

Most games are made with Hor+, which means 16:9 displays a bit more horizontally with no loss vertically.

For productivity and general desktop use, there's no question, 16:10 is better. But for gaming and movies, you're better off with 16:9.

A better focus for these monitors is the lack of a AT-W polarizer. Such an inclusion would drastically reduce IPS glow, and increase perceived contrast as a result. With the cost of these monitors already being rather high, it's a glaring omission... but really, at $800 USD, make it another 20-50 more expensive and use the damn film. I'd say that's a better marketing bullet point than "165hz", too.

I'm surprised how small it looks compared to the 24", I realize the aspect ratio is different but it looks basically the same size.

That's why marketers love 16:9 - so many inches and such a small increase in panel surface area ;)

I think the fault is not the AUO panel quality, but Asus assembly quality!
If I pull the Rog's angle a little, the BLB will disappear almost at all!

I think that would be enough a better care in the assembly, to have a really amazing gaming monitor!

Most games are made with Hor+, which means 16:9 displays a bit more horizontally with no loss vertically.

For productivity and general desktop use, there's no question, 16:10 is better. But for gaming and movies, you're better off with 16:9.

A better focus for these monitors is the lack of a AT-W polarizer. Such an inclusion would drastically reduce IPS glow, and increase perceived contrast as a result. With the cost of these monitors already being rather high, it's a glaring omission... but really, at $800 USD, make it another 20-50 more expensive and use the damn film. I'd say that's a better marketing bullet point than "165hz", too.

I agree, in fact I use the 16/10 U2415 for work, and the 16/9 S32D859 > PG279q to play.
I would like to try a 21/9 too, but the Acer X34 is really too expensive.

I agree with zone74, the problem is definitely AUO. You can blame monitor assembly on lightbleed to a degree, but the PG279Q is frameless and inherently more susceptible to begin with. The other issues however lie with AUO - dead pixels, dust behind screen, yellow tint, uniformity. QC from Acer and Asus can only go so far in these regards.

We see this through the XB270HU having many of the same issues as well... and I wouldn't be surprised if the XB271HU does too.

Now, on the other hand, they are the only ones that have even bothered putting a panel like this on the market for monitor manufacturers to make use of. Perhaps LG and Samsung are too focused on TVs (4K, OLED) to worry about this right now.

I agree with zone74, the problem is definitely AUO. You can blame monitor assembly on lightbleed to a degree, but the PG279Q is frameless and inherently more susceptible to begin with. The other issues however lie with AUO - dead pixels, dust behind screen, yellow tint, uniformity. QC from Acer and Asus can only go so far in these regards.

We see this through the XB270HU having many of the same issues as well... and I wouldn't be surprised if the XB271HU does too.

Now, on the other hand, they are the only ones that have even bothered putting a panel like this on the market for monitor manufacturers to make use of. Perhaps LG and Samsung are too focused on TVs (4K, OLED) to worry about this right now.

If that's the case people should just be resigned to having to return their screen until they get an acceptable one. Personally just got my replacement XB270HU and hopefully this one is a keeper. I am thinking about just getting a refund if this one has defects and buying the 279Q. Just gotta keep rollin' those dice I guess.

Replacing the screen is not going to do anything for the significant "IPS Glow" which AUO's AHVA panels all seem to suffer from.
It's significantly worse than other "IPS-type" panels and is hurting the reputation of "IPS" displays.
Of course I'd still prefer that all IPS panels were equipped with an A-TW polarizer to eliminate IPS Glow rather than just reducing it, but it's almost comically bad on AUO's AHVA panels.

Just placed an order for 2 on Newegg. Now, here's to hoping at least one of them is salvageable.

It's funny when I started watching Newegg quantity on this monitor about 45 minutes ago there was 34 in stock. Now with my purchase of 4 there is only a couple left. That's a pretty quick sale!

So I'm getting three for portrait Surround and I figure at least one will be pretty bad. So I've bought a backup.

I saw yesterday they came back into stock and got one ordered yesterday afternoon. Out of stock as of this early morning when I checked. I had auto notify on this display but never got notified when they did come back in stock, just kept checking and got lucky (or unlucky!).

It's funny when I started watching Newegg quantity on this monitor about 45 minutes ago there was 34 in stock. Now with my purchase of 4 there is only a couple left. That's a pretty quick sale!

So I'm getting three for portrait Surround and I figure at least one will be pretty bad. So I've bought a backup.

Again ? Don't You already have 3x 270HU ? :D

I got mine today, and it's very nice. No bleeding, no stuck pixels, perfect. They also improved the OSD a little bit. My question to you is: what exactly does "Game mode" do? I've noticed that it turns on the framerate counter, and sets OD to "Extreme" - any other benefits to turning it on? TIA.

I got mine today, and it's very nice. No bleeding, no stuck pixels, perfect. They also improved the OSD a little bit. My question to you is: what exactly does "Game mode" do? I've noticed that it turns on the framerate counter, and sets OD to "Extreme" - any other benefits to turning it on? TIA.

Extreme OD was very bad on the tftcentral review model. It should be avoided at all costs if it is anything like the review sample.

There product documentation show cover what game mode does. Newegg product page covered it a bit. I think it also turns on a timer too.

Again ? Don't You already have 3x 270HU ? :D

I sold those. I can't keep up with the displays I have or had lol. In the last six months: 2x X34, 3x Eizo FG2421, 48" Samsung 4K JS9000, 55" 4K LG OLED, TN Swift, 4x Acer 279HU's, 78" 4K Samsung, Dell S2716DG and now 4x IPS Swift's inbound.

I have a problem. :eek:

was able to purchase 2 of these when they showed up in stock yesterday, hopefully the quality's better then the acers they're replacing.

I went to a IT show today, and the unit they had on display had horrible IPS glow. It was more visible next to a white web page than XB271HU's IPS glow on a fully dark page

I sold those. I can't keep up with the displays I have or had lol. In the last six months: 2x X34, 3x Eizo FG2421, 48" Samsung 4K JS9000, 55" 4K LG OLED, TN Swift, 4x Acer 279HU's, 78" 4K Samsung, Dell S2716DG and now 4x IPS Swift's inbound.

I have a problem. :eek:

That's ok my friend , so do I....

In the last 6 months I have had the following:

ROG Swift TN ( loved the way games felt on this with gsync!!! , felt like NES on a crt :0 )
Samsung 48ju7500
Samsung 48JS9000
Samsung 55JS9000
Samsung 40ju7100
Samsung s27d590p (pls panel, horrible ips like glow)
Samsung S24d590p (pls panel, horrible ips like glow )
LG Oled 55 ec9300 ( still have it , movies and tv look incredible on it so do games but input lag is way too high for me, my Leo Bodnar shows 36ms middle bar..)
Benq gw2408
Benq bl3201pt
HP 27VX ( my fav so far to use with gaming, still have it, uses an lg ah-ips panel, superior to the panels in the swifts in regards to almost no ips glow and high static contrast of 1500:1 )

Are you going to remove the AG film on the swifts? I know you have removed ag films on a lot of monitors and so have I ( well over a dozen I have done it to).

The swift has a major improvement with the AG film removed, a massive massive improvement!!

Once the display arrives, I will probably try the TFT Central ICC profile as their testing showed the brightness was way too high during their testing. Hopefully I get a good unit that has been quality controlled. Luck of the draw I guess.

My unit was way off using TFT Central's recommended RGB settings of 97, 93, 100. It was clearly too blue.

Before calibrating I got closest with 100, 97, 99 - measured a dE average of 1.0. After calibration dE is an excellent 0.3. Due to the wide luminance variance this monitor shouldn't be used for color critical work anyway, but the result is better than gaming monitors I've had in the past.

My unit was way off using TFT Central's recommended RGB settings of 97, 93, 100. It was clearly too blue.

Before calibrating I got closest with 100, 97, 99 - measured a dE average of 1.0. After calibration dE is an excellent 0.3. Due to the wide luminance variance this monitor shouldn't be used for color critical work anyway, but the result is better than gaming monitors I've had in the past.

can you take 9 measurements in 9 sectors?

I wonder why this screen is so bad vs every other screen out there.

Thanks for that info - did you create your own icc profile besides the RGB settings? Thinking of investing in a decent colorimeter.

Thanks for that info - did you create your own icc profile besides the RGB settings? Thinking of investing in a decent colorimeter.

software makes the difference. I laothe the POS software that comes with the HD1 eye pro or whatever. The software that notbookcheck uses looks really nice but its expensive IIRC.

If you have lots of money and time to burn, buy a colorimeter. :p I can't say at all that it was worth the cost, but it satisfies my tweaker itch.

I used an i1 Display Pro with CalMAN 5 to get this profile.

Gamevisual set to "Racing" mode (sRGB mode does not allow any color adjustments)

Brightness 50 - I like my screen on the bright side, this is 228 cd/m² (66 fL)
Contrast 50
Color Temp: User mode
R 100 G 97 B 99

Profile: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=C9355FE9A98229EC!15598&authkey=!AJLLq-HPXFWCZFY&ithint=file%2cicm

If you have lots of money and time to burn, buy a colorimeter. :p I can't say at all that it was worth the cost, but it satisfies my tweaker itch.

I used an i1 Display Pro with CalMAN 5 to get this profile.

Gamevisual set to "Racing" mode (sRGB mode does not allow any color adjustments)

Brightness 50 - I like my screen on the bright side, this is 228 cd/m² (66 fL)
Contrast 50
Color Temp: User mode
R 100 G 97 B 99

Profile: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=C9355FE9A98229EC!15598&authkey=!AJLLq-HPXFWCZFY&ithint=file%2cicm

Thanks! Like you I enjoy tweaking too and appreciate you posting your profile, this way I can try a couple settings before investing in a colorimeter or software.

So, I have had the monitor for almost 2 weeks now, and i'm having a few issues. I'm not sure if they are normal as this is my first gsync 144+hz monitor. So lets say I have windows open on all 3 of my monitors, I go to bed, the next day i turn them on and my windows i had open are all in different places than they were. I also just teamviewered into my PC at home and noticed the display seems disconnected and only my dell u2412's are showing up.

Is all of this normal? obviously all 3 displays are off at home at the moment.

552f665809.jpg

So, I have had the monitor for almost 2 weeks now, and i'm having a few issues. I'm not sure if they are normal as this is my first gsync 144+hz monitor. So lets say I have windows open on all 3 of my monitors, I go to bed, the next day i turn them on and my windows i had open are all in different places than they were. I also just teamviewered into my PC at home and noticed the display seems disconnected and only my dell u2412's are showing up.

Is all of this normal? obviously all 3 displays are off at home at the moment.

552f665809.jpg

depends on the cable type. Sometimes if you turn off a screen it drops off the GPU and OS as disconnected. I know when I turn off either of my screens my computer thinks i only have 1, which is annoying because everything gets resized and moved to the center screen or whyatever screen is on.

depends on the cable type. Sometimes if you turn off a screen it drops off the GPU and OS as disconnected. I know when I turn off either of my screens my computer thinks i only have 1, which is annoying because everything gets resized and moved to the center screen or whyatever screen is on.

It's connected with display port.

It's connected with display port.

well i am using DP and DVI and it happens to both...maybe its the type of monitor but i got the same thing as you.

Ops. Nevermind it varies. So when I press power off on my 4K on DP it vanishes. When I press power on my 1200P using DVI nothing happens besides it goers dark. OS is unaffected. When my screens go to sleep everything gets messed up but not sure if thats the DP one messing things up or the 1200p at that point. So it could be cable or monitor dependent. Hope that helps but it is normalish. I think it is how DP works personally but thats a guess.

Sorry I hope that helps.

Back