ASUS PG279Q 144hz 1440P IPS G-Sync

Well, Acer has the XB271HU which is pretty much the same as this but with somewhat better QC. However, I was perusing the large overclock.net XB271HU thread and it seems that it's still a lottery for either monitor.

Viewsonic also anounced the XG2703-GS which is essentially the same as the PG279Q and XB271HU but with a whopping MSRP of $1200 USD. I honestly don't see the prices dropping on these too much since the main retailers are still having a problem keeping either monitor in stock.

Well, Acer has the XB271HU which is pretty much the same as this but with somewhat better QC. However, I was perusing the large overclock.net XB271HU thread and it seems that it's still a lottery for either monitor.

Viewsonic also anounced the XG2703-GS which is essentially the same as the PG279Q and XB271HU but with a whopping MSRP of $1200 USD. I honestly don't see the prices dropping on these too much since the main retailers are still having a problem keeping either monitor in stock.
probably all the returns........... *rollseyes*

Haven't been paying a ton of attention to new monitors the last few years, but this one seems to finally tick all the boxes for me: 144Hz+, IPS panel, GSync and 1440p+. I was interested in ultrawide but I think the other features are more compelling to me at this point, plus 1440p is actually driveable by a single GPU.

It is, but not so much at 144 (or 165) FPS. That requires SLI.

It is, but not so much at 144 (or 165) FPS. That requires SLI.
If i plan play plenty of games at 60fps 4K on a single GPU you can play that at those fps. You just won't do that in BF4/5/6 or whatever the version is now. Plus next gen is coming out and this screen will hold those back....where is my 4K 120hz ULMB screen !&!@%*@%*

Bought an extra one to make sure i get the best one...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 177
Bought an extra one to make sure i get the best one...

This the one in Yonkers! I used to live next to it and I'm moving back to to the area soon. Do they accept "no questions asked" returns when it comes to Asus monitors?

Last edited:
im not exactly sure, i wil be returning one of the monitors... so ill keep u posted

Any updates? Do they look good or bad?

i havent opened up the second box yet, the first specimen i opened looks pretty good to me and im currently using. Some BLB on the corners but to me personally i can deal. no dead pixels, dirt, dust and uniformity is great.

Any updates? Do they look good or bad?

ive opened the second box and TBH they are pretty much exactly the same. the right side corners on both units bleed light more than the left corners ... but seriously, its not that big of a deal. IPS technology; your gonna get BLB but in this case both units are virtually the same. im sticking with the 1st unit that i opened because i feel like i would be cheating on her since she came into my life first haha. i dont think microcenter is gonna open box it, but if they do ill tell u when im gonna return it and you step in minutes later to scoop it up.

ive opened the second box and TBH they are pretty much exactly the same. the right side corners on both units bleed light more than the left corners ... but seriously, its not that big of a deal. IPS technology; your gonna get BLB but in this case both units are virtually the same. im sticking with the 1st unit that i opened because i feel like i would be cheating on her since she came into my life first haha. i dont think microcenter is gonna open box it, but if they do ill tell u when im gonna return it and you step in minutes later to scoop it up.

Thanks for the update. I would probably grab it but I'm still here and will be seeing the house by the end of the month in NY. I would gladly get it from you since the 2nd one looks good. Is MC still running 20 percent off monitors offer?

Thanks for the update. I would probably grab it but I'm still here and will be seeing the house by the end of the month in NY. I would gladly get it from you since the 2nd one looks good. Is MC still running 20 percent off monitors offer?

that was just for the acer, and i believe that has expired. eh 160 bucks more for a better looking monitor hehe

that was just for the acer, and i believe that has expired. eh 160 bucks more for a better looking monitor hehe

I'm not too crazy about Acer. The design is very chintzy. I stick to Dell and NEC monitors most of the time. What is the manufacture date on yours?

i would gladly borrow one, but im not shelling 300$ to make me more paranoid about the QC of the monitor lol
well its also good to calibrate your screen. It can make a noticeable different. I actually have to recalibrate all my screens because i switched cables. VGA/HDMI/DP can actual produce different colors. I went from DVI/VGA to DP on one of my screens and its really yellow now. DP to DVI/VA for me shows more blue and DVI/VGA to DP shows more yellow. Weird :/ I just got to stop being lazy and just do some fine tuning lawls.

Hi all. Do you know if this model save the settings when I power off? The brightness and contrast yes, but I've doubts about RGB with the user settings.

I've compared my feelings about this model vs. the Acer XB271HU in its thread (I can't link it).
Thanks to Google someone says the Acer has lower power consumption than the Asus. But I couldn't compare that aspect.

I'll put photos when I achieve the 3 posts :)

Sorry. The user RGB is saving between power off and power on. These levels are restarting when I change the blue filter.

I've uploaded three photos in my little review about Asus vs. the Acer XB271HU:

Blue/white on the left, yellow on the right.
Exactly. Due to that I've some doubts about request the refund for the Acer or try requesting a replacement unit (for the Acer).
In spite of the effects in the photos, I don't realize about the possible defects in the Asus.

Two videos about this Asus with a black screen:

Exactly. Due to that I've some doubts about request the refund for the Acer or try requesting a replacement unit (for the Acer).
In spite of the effects in the photos, I don't realize about the possible defects in the Asus.

Two videos about this Asus with a black screen:

Blue/white is Asus, right? I'd rather deal with cool colors and yellow tint.

most of that shpuild be ccorrectable with calibration. All my Dell u2412m have been Yellow or Blue but calibation fixed it.

Also if your using HDMI your computer maybe defaulting to TV color space which will make white yellow. Its a GPU setting

Thanks for share your points of view :)
I'm using DisplayPort and playing with the TFTCentral advices (and his ICC profile).
I'm going to request the refund for the Acer. The Asus results are enough for me and its finish touches seems better.

I have been eyeing up this monitor as a future gaming rig overhaul. Just joining the chorus of other people wondering WTF is up with supply. It seems very hard to find this in stock anywhere. It seems when stuff shows up on Amazon Prime it is safe to say there is plenty of supply. And the price.... I thought this was supposed to be in the $700 range or am I completely mistaken? I see some on Amazon warehouse deals for $850 but it says cosmetic damage may be involved :dead:

I have been eyeing up this monitor as a future gaming rig overhaul. Just joining the chorus of other people wondering WTF is up with supply. It seems very hard to find this in stock anywhere. It seems when stuff shows up on Amazon Prime it is safe to say there is plenty of supply. And the price.... I thought this was supposed to be in the $700 range or am I completely mistaken? I see some on Amazon warehouse deals for $850 but it says cosmetic damage may be involved :dead:

its all the returns...thats my guess. People trying to find a good panel.

I just got seriously lucky today!

My older model ROG swift that was like a little over a year old out of know where strated to flicker badly! Would even distort fonts.

Anyways luckily I bought mind from microcenter and bought the extended 2 year warranty for $89 even though my wife cursed me up and down for it.

So I took it in today for a exchange knowing I'd doubt they would allow me to get the newer model (that I did not even know about till 2 days ago) and those were out of stock and they have 9 of the older models in stock.. here I gave her my receipt and the woman told me you can exchange it for the same model or a newer model or use the $800 towards anything in the store..

So I freak out and rush over to the monitor area and tell the guy I want a asus ROG swift monitor and he goes over to his pc and says which one do you want and I say the newer one and he says we just got 4 in today on a truck let me go get you one!!!

Can you believe it??

Out of stock new better model and I get that lucky that they just get a truck with 4 of them and the site still shows 0 stock!

Super sweet!!

Thanks asus and microcenter!

Oh and yes, you bet I made sure to re buy that extended warranty again!

I just got seriously lucky today!

My older model ROG swift that was like a little over a year old out of know where strated to flicker badly! Would even distort fonts.

Anyways luckily I bought mind from microcenter and bought the extended 2 year warranty for $89 even though my wife cursed me up and down for it.

So I took it in today for a exchange knowing I'd doubt they would allow me to get the newer model (that I did not even know about till 2 days ago) and those were out of stock and they have 9 of the older models in stock.. here I gave her my receipt and the woman told me you can exchange it for the same model or a newer model or use the $800 towards anything in the store..

So I freak out and rush over to the monitor area and tell the guy I want a asus ROG swift monitor and he goes over to his pc and says which one do you want and I say the newer one and he says we just got 4 in today on a truck let me go get you one!!!

Can you believe it??

Out of stock new better model and I get that lucky that they just get a truck with 4 of them and the site still shows 0 stock!

Super sweet!!

Thanks asus and microcenter!

Oh and yes, you bet I made sure to re buy that extended warranty again!
she curse you some more lol. My ex wife cursed me for doing that on my RX100 lawl. I took over 6000 photos and 100s of videos on it and somehow didn't break it. I was surprised i never used the warranty lol.

she curse you some more lol. My ex wife cursed me for doing that on my RX100 lawl. I took over 6000 photos and 100s of videos on it and somehow didn't break it. I was surprised i never used the warranty lol.

Nice.. yes she was with me and even complained about buying it when the new model comes with a 3 year warranty!

Like really??? You just seen this warranty in action and we just benifited from it just now and I need to convince you that it's a smart $90 bucks to spend? Haha

Nice if it takes a crap and you have the option to get some new shiny model!

Nice.. yes she was with me and even complained about buying it when the new model comes with a 3 year warranty!

Like really??? You just seen this warranty in action and we just benifited from it just now and I need to convince you that it's a smart $90 bucks to spend? Haha

Nice if it takes a crap and you have the option to get some new shiny model!
yea its great for super expensive items. Monitors though rarely crap...well editing monitors like dell ultrasharps but gaming ones on the other hand...a warranty isn't a bad idea. I always get ADP for stuff like cameras and stuff.

Have these monitors QC improved any since release? I'm thinking of getting rid of my X34 and going back to a Swift. I have a PG278Q which dead, I really liked the monitor and can still RMA it. But am interested in getting the PG279Q since it is an IPS screen. I think the X34 is a little too wide for me and I would prefer to have the option for ULMB again instead of 21:9.

Have these monitors QC improved any since release? I'm thinking of getting rid of my X34 and going back to a Swift. I have a PG278Q which dead, I really liked the monitor and can still RMA it. But am interested in getting the PG279Q since it is an IPS screen. I think the X34 is a little too wide for me and I would prefer to have the option for ULMB again instead of 21:9.

I'm still using my rog swift (TN) next to my older glossy 60hz 1440p ips. I've heard that samsung is developing a 3440 x1440 144hz 21:9 (VA I believe), on dp 1.3. So I'm aiming to hold out for that or similar 21:9 on dp 1.3, and on dp 1.3 gpus. Might be a wait toward the start of 2017 if I want the ti series gpus but I'm set up decent for now and have a backlog of games. The 100hz asus 34" 21:9 is tempting to me but the dp 1.3 monitors and gpus should be worth the wait as long as you have something pretty good for now already.

displayport 1.3 hz-rez info

We all know demand for this monitor is high, but what is the supply side doing? Is there a shortage of supply, has ASUS slowed down production for QC issues?
It seems prices are about 100 dollars higher now for this monitor than when it first released.

How are the colors on this thing compared to a regular TN ROG Swift?
Been looking at the reviews on Amazon seems to be more positive then when first released.

Back