Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

perhaps this is interesting for those who want to install a big cpu cooler. this is the scythe ninja mini mounted at the p5e-vm. you will have enough space to the edge of the board and shouldn t have any problems with small cases. this was one of the reason i bought it because i will put it into the lian li v350 (when its available).

ninja mini1
ninjai mini2

Tremeloes

1)ordered in UK : overclockers.uk (because not available in france) : very expensive but as i said i wanted bad !
123,07£= 176€ (shipping fee included)
but available now in deutschland for a better price!
€176 shipped is not that bad. It means without shipping (I'm not that desperate :p) it will probably drop to the €150 mark, or even lower, which is the standard behaviour with top-of-the-line Asus mATX boards.

2) ICH9R as said in page1 and on asus website
Thanks for clearing that up. I had read at some point it would come with the ICH8R, so I was :confused: for a while. There is not really a big difference between the two (except the plain ICH9 now has partial AHCI capabilities), I would be fine with any one of them.

3)memory divider is shown on this screen when fsb is set @400:
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/7559/g7294copiermf3.jpg
(@500 there remains only 3 ratio available...)

The FSB strap to NB is another option different from fsb/mem ratio!
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Ups... NOW I understood your post. You were talking about NB straps, and I thought you were referring to memory dividers... Duh... Sorry about that one.

Ok, so you've got only three straps (I wouldn't mind the 133 strap, even if only for underclocking purposes...), meaning no QX9750 support (no biggie there, I'm not planning on getting that one), at least for now. However, you can get around that one rather easilly using the QX9650, and probably the QX9750 will be recognized as a 1333MHz FSB CPU (just like 1066MHz CPUs can be recognized as 800MHz FSB ones in FSB-limited mobos...). You also have a buckload of memory dividers, which is a good thing.

Nice, that's an almost perfect board, indeed. Kudos for Asus. I'd also like to see what the competition has to offer, though.

Cheers.

Miguel

P.S.: How does the IGP fare, both at stock and OC? And does it limit OC capabilites much?

good board, but DDR2 in single channel! max fsb around 340 (like all mcp73)
Some voltages adjustement in bios but no vcore (compared to the GA-73UM-S2H bios which is very poor)!
http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/Hardwa...ud-monter-petit-sujet_760299_325.htm#t5991344
pvhk, is there ANY mATX motherboard you don't have extensive, in-depth, hands-on knowledge about? :D

I mean, not that I'm complaining (VERY far from it), I'm just wondering where you get the time... I'd need like 72-hour days to test so many motherboards... (I'd also need insane amounts of money, but that is a whole different subject altogether... lol)

Thankfully, that is a good thing :) Now if I need opinion on one of them, I'll just need to ask :p

Cheers, and keep it going, you rock.

Miguel

does anybody have problems with bios 0301? Since i have it my pc freezed during eyery restart i made. Normal start was no problem only restart. Now i have 0202 again and the failure seems to be gone...:confused:

Hey Tremeloes, where are you from? Europe? Seems you have the board and yet I cannot find it in America. I wonder if it will be available in USA or Canada 1st. Maybe at the same time.

Some explanations concerning the FSB strap to NB option!
when you set fsb@450 (with a c2d fsb1066: x6800 here) in bios:
setting FSB strap@200: 3 DRAM freq available
G7325copier.jpg

strap@266:
G7323copier.jpg

strap@333: 2 DRAM frequency available
G7324copier.jpg

Interesting.

What is your opinion of this board now that you have worked with it for some time?

hmm can you choose all 2 straps at 450FSB? Which is the fastest strap if you have testet and if possible

has anyone tested the onboard grafik by now? I made some tests with different settings but i can only use hd videos (1080p) which are stored on my harddisc. With Power dvd 7 and VLC Player i have an average CPU load of 20-25%.
Can someone say something about the cpu load with hd material from external players like Blu Ray or HD Disk?

@ Allsop

just to be sure. the resistor i marked in this picture is the one you used for your pencil mod?
voltmod.jpg

Tremeloes

I've been waiting for this motherboard (or a Gigabyte G35 mATX board), but I don't think they'll be available in the US until mid December at the earliest. Gary Key at AT is doing a review / article on the upcoming G35 SFF & mATX boards and he said that the article won't be released until sometime this week.

Gary Key at AT is doing a review / article on the upcoming G35 SFF & mATX boards and he said that the article won't be released until sometime this week.

I hope this time it is true. We all waited so many weeks back in March then April then June for such an article. Can you point us to the discussion thread?

I want this mATX so badly.

Has anyone tested the on board Graphics X3500 ?
I would be most curious how Halo Combat Evolved runs on this Mainboard, without extra graphics accelerator.

In the moment I use an Pentium 4 (2.8GHz) and Motherboard from 2003 with the Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics on board.
It runs just about in 600 x 800 resolution with approx 10 - 30 fps, depending on the level of action. I know, it's crazy playing with such a low frame rate, but when you're hooked up on a game, there's no cure for it.

Have seen recently a video on youtube and noticed how good the graphics can be with grass and bullet holes and stuff ... haha, when I'm at Blood Gulch, there is only desert and no grass. But I still love it.

I'm pretty much looking forward ordering this board, together with the Quad Core Q6600.
Not sure if the better CPU makes a significant difference since the GPU does most of the 3D job. But am I right to presume that the G3500 is faster than an 4 years old Graphics on board of an NEC Powermate ?

I know ... I must not expect miracles from any on board graphics, but if you're on a tight budget, the on board solution is very welcoming until I can affort the MSI GeForce 8800 GT.

I had written to Scan just to see when they expect to stock Mainboard and Video card. They replied today:

"... Thanks for your query. Obviously as the motherboard is a recent release, we haven't got it as of yet but rest assured, it's more than likely that these items (motherboard in particular) will be coming into stock pretty soon. The memory is in stock, no issues. The 8800GT's are in ridiculously high demand and currently the MSI card is overdue - it was due to be here on the 28th November so should be here at some point this week."

As soon as they give green light, I'm all up for it! ::cool:

No point waiting for the new "breakthrough" 45nm CPU generation.
Firstly that's gonna take at least a year for the prices become reasonable again, and think of Asus & Co to catch up with something appropriate.

Heard that 35nm and 25nm are on Intel's roadmap, but give it two more years before we get excited for that. Thinking of it makes me wonder wether it would be still right to talk about Microprocessor ... it should be called Nanoprocessor, or even Picoprocessor ;)

Oh, and something regarding the amount of memory. I planning to get 2x 2GB, but the OS (32bit) only recognises between 3 and 3.25 GB memory I read somewhere ? No way around that ?
What about Vista (64bit) ? It can address a much larger amount of memory, but can there really be an incompatibility problem with programs as PC games ?

I made some tests with the onboard graphic. X3500@384MB
3DMark05: 1190
3DMark06: 675
Testsystem was: E4300@3GHz, 4GB Adata Ram, X3500@384 MB

tried to run the new Unreal Tournament demo but didn´t work. As expected.
So far i didn´t have any problems with HD Video up to 1080p. Played some hd trailers from the apple homepage with quicktime (55% Cpu load), and hd avi+mpeg files with power dvd 7 (25% Cpu load), vlc player (between 10-25% Cpu load).

Hi Tremeloes

Thanks, but I'm not familiar with the 3DMark values.
How do they compare to other graphics accelerators ... on board or as PCI-E card ?

Best for me to understand would be trying out a common PC game (Quake 4, Doom 3, F.E.A.R. or Far Cry) and letting us know the resolution and frame rate please. Do you have Halo ?

Specular, Shadows and details are faded out in my video settings section as my graphics doesn't support these. If I go higher than 600 x 800, the appearance of the game becomes far more beautiful - but unplayable. At 1024 x 768 I get a frame rate of 5 - 15 only.

Sorry, I'm not up to date with games. But I still have Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 somewhere, but when you say NEW UNREAL TOURNAMENT ... when was that released ? And do you think that some titles don't work can be fixed with a work-around or Bios update later ?

When you said 384MB in regards to the X3500 ... does that mean 384 MB of the RAM memory has been reserved / allocated for the GPU ?

And the HD video clip ... in 1080p (p = progressive), that is BluRay resolution right ?
------------------------------
BluRay: 1920 x 1080
HD: 1280 x 720
------------------------------
I was happy to have read the newest statistics revealing that BluRay is gonna win the battle of the next generation format ... by far. Quality wins for once.

Have seen demonstration of HD clips in a TV shop at our highstreet. It really is stunning. :eek:
I just wonder how much better BluRay is over HD ... haven't seen any BluRay demo yet.
Although Virgin Megastore sells quite a range of titles in HD & BluRay, the player prices are still very silly. And my PC from 2003 is not able to playback any HD content(some incompatibility problem). Neither is my TFT screen fit for BluRay... max res is 1280 x 1024. But when I have saved enough cash, a 16 by 9 screen will be due anyway.

Oh, I just remember ... I find the passive Chipset cooler for the Northbridge quiet ugly.
Is that exchangeable for anything else ?
I was planning to get the Asus Triton 75 or 77 for the CPU instead of the stock cooler (plus a Noctum 120mm fan) and I could imagine there would be something "cooler" for the Chipset too.
Read somewhere that it becomes very hot at load, could you confirm that ?
Just wonder how to remove the regular cooler ? :rolleyes:

Thanks, but I'm not familiar with the 3DMark values.
How do they compare to other graphics accelerators ... on board or as PCI-E card ?

you can compare it with my ATI Asus Eax 1950 pro: 3d06
If i don´t be mistaken you can compare the x3500 with the ATI 9000 generation.

but when you say NEW UNREAL TOURNAMENT ... when was that released ?

it has been released 1 or 2 month ago. I think you can´t play any of the current games with the onboard graphic...

When you said 384MB in regards to the X3500 ... does that mean 384 MB of the RAM memory has been reserved / allocated for the GPU ?

Yes. You can reserve 384mb/256mb/minimum for the GPU. Haven´t tested how much minimum would be.

And the HD video clip ... in 1080p (p = progressive),

I tried a HDTV-Sample 1080i @ 30 Mbit/s and this elephants dream

I was planning to get the Asus Triton 75 or 77 for the CPU instead of the stock cooler (plus a Noctum 120mm fan) and I could imagine there would be something "cooler" for the Chipset too.
Read somewhere that it becomes very hot at load, could you confirm that ?
Just wonder how to remove the regular cooler ?

I have better mainboard temps as with my Asus P5N-E sli. After 2 h of videoencoding i have a MB temp of 42°C. Not so hot in my opinion. On this pic you can see how it´s mounted. Can´t say how it looks on the other side. P5E

Yes. You can reserve 384mb/256mb/minimum for the GPU. Haven´t tested how much minimum would be.
Well, that's not entirely correct.

In fact, since the 915G chipset (that is, GMA 9xx and 3xxx series) hit the market, Intel has a different approach to IGP memory sharing.

Most IGPs (including older IGPs from Intel, TurboCache cards, it's ATI brothers, and all other IGPs) have fixed memory sharing. Meaning that if you select 64MB, then 64MB of the system's RAM will be diverted to the IGP at all times.

GMA IGPs have both a fixed (1MB or 8MB) memory sharing, which is the "base memory usage" for them. And THEN they have two extra modes: the "fixed memory sharing mode", which works just like the rest of the IGPs on the market; AND the DVMT mode, which uses blocks of system memory only if they are needed, and up to 384MB (depending on IGP and base system memory). Vista requests at least 32MB of DVMT memory, XP doesnt' flinch if you share only 8MB.

In short, you can use one the following modes on GMA IGPs:
- 1/8MB base sharing;
- Fixed memory sharing (depending on BIOS, base system memory and IGP, it can go from 64 to 384MB);
- DVMT memory sharing (32MB minimum, I think, maximum is the same as fixed);
- Fixed + DVMT mode - minimum fixed memory (usually 64MB, but selectable), extra memory available per OS request.

Cheers.

Miguel

Good god, Gigabyte.

Not only do your boards still look like Lego (at least ASUS ditched puke yellow for a "deluxe" setting), but its a DS2R. Either you're going to piss off the entire G33M user base by developing the G35M with 1:1 divider and strap changing across all FSB speeds... or you're going to make the same mistake.

And you finally learned that putting the IDE connector beside the 24-pin ATX is a wiser choice. Bravo. Funny how ASUS didn't do it.

Am I wrong to say that's 3-phase power? Or is that 4... (am I supposed to be counting the flat ones or the boxy ones?)

I hope I never have to go to Taiwan. Mainly because I'd end up punching somebody there (not necessarily Gigabyte), then...

well I'd much rather go to HK any day.

I still has a nasty parallel port. I hope they release a G35 version of the S2H, but without the crippled x16 slot.

This Board is damn cheap in US.:eek:
2 Weeks ago i paid about 190$... in germany.

Today i´m going to test 4x1GB Kingston HyperX pc9600 on this board...

And you finally learned that putting the IDE connector beside the 24-pin ATX is a wiser choice. Bravo. Funny how ASUS didn't do it.
not much space in here:
eingebaut.jpg

NCIX in Canada is now taking pre-order for this motherboard. Very tempted now to upgrade. Although I might be moving away from SFF and into the Lian Li PC-A05 instead as there are currently nothing decent in terms of SFF cases.

Today I managed to get a stable 4.15 GHz out of my Q6600 (Lapped). (9x462FSB and DDR2@1188MHz)
This was with my new W-C setup, Zalman Reserator XT, CPU and NB-block.
V-Core at 1.7, ram 2.34 etc... with my v-core mod I can a max of 1.75 but I'll wait till I get a second radiator to add to the system....

Back