ASUS/BENQ LightBoost owners!! Zero motion blur setting!

I picked up a used ASUS VG278H and wanted to echo what Mark said about it in comparison to the VG248QE. The lightboost colors and contrast are quite good with the Nvidia gamma option lowered a bit.
Good to know that you like the LightBoost colors on the VG278H a lot more than the VG248QE.

Seeing tiny motion trails on the VG278H when dragging around windows was disappointing
The tiny motion trails disappears if you lower your VG278H contrast to about 40% but you now get the pale LightBoost colors of VG248QE. Personally I prefer keeping VG278H Contrast to 88%-90% to get the maximum color quality, while having only a very moderate LightBoost trailing effect.

What is considered the best 24" monitor right now?? XL2420TE or the VG248QE? Which one has better color?
The oldest XL2420T seems to have the best non-LightBoost color, but has far worse LightBoost ghosting.
For LightBoost, I'd give the edge to XL2420TE solely because it has great non-PWM dimming (with a wide dimming range) during non-LightBoost mode.

The LightBoost quality of XL2420TE is more or less identical to VG248QE.
So if LightBoost is the only thing you care about (plan to run it 24/7) then the VG248QE is the best buy and it has virtually zero LightBoost double-ghost effect.
If you want the best **LightBoost** color, you're going to have to go north in size to the 27" models.

If you get VG248QE/XL2411T/XL2420TE, and get the purple tint effect, lower your monitor's OSD Contrast to about ~40%-45% to reduce your purple tint mostly disappear.

Regardless of what you do, these improve the colors on nearly all LightBoost monitors:
nVidia Control Panel Desktop Brightness = 52%
nVidia Control Panel Desktop Color = 45%
nVidia Control Panel Gamma = 0.70

Last edited:
If it weren't for this I wouldn't be able to play games very often. My eye strain is finally gone, I love this! No more headaches woohoo.

Thank you Mark/Toasty for your hard work, donated!

P.S. Is it alright to leave it on for 24/7 use the strobelight? It really helps my eyes even on the desktop.

Hmm... I usually have trouble with motion sickness on fps games. 120hz and 120fps helped a little. I'm wondering if this will help even more. For some reason I'm more prone to getting motion sickness on pc games than on console games. Maybe it has to do with how close I'm sitting to the monitor vs the TV?

Hmm... I usually have trouble with motion sickness on fps games. 120hz and 120fps helped a little. I'm wondering if this will help even more. For some reason I'm more prone to getting motion sickness on pc games than on console games. Maybe it has to do with how close I'm sitting to the monitor vs the TV?
There are many causes. LightBoost can increase eyetrain for some (flicker eyestrain) and decease eyestrain for others (motion blur eliminated).

Factors:
-- Motion blur sensitivity
-- Viewing distance
-- Monitor coverage on your vision
-- Ambient light (don't let display be the brightest thing in your room, adjust brightness downwards or increase ambient light, or a light behind monitor)
-- Etc.

So yes, LightBoost may help. If you are already using a 120Hz monitor with LightBoost, nothing stops you from trying it out. Download ToastyX Strobelight, and then you can easily turn ON/OFF LightBoost.

From what he said, to me it sounds like the isolated view issue. Like Mark said, lighting up more of the room so that your monitor isn't the only viewable thing might help. Sitting a bit further away might too. People also tend to crowd their pc desk against a wall like a bookshelf or stuffed into a corner against the walls, which could contribute to the isolation/immersion effect (could be a good thing for some people, but not those who suffer motion sickness I would think). That said, a 27" 16:9 monitor and/or array of monitors at regular desk viewing distances can be enough of a wall in front of you as it is, but I prefer to face my desk out from a corner so that direct light sources are all behind the backs of the monitors.
My 27" 16:9 monitor is pretty wide and fills a lot of my vision at my viewing distance. Personally the only game I ever got motion sickness from was "Dead Island" , which was because the motion tracking of the character's head was tied to the camera. Every time you would pick up an item or stomp on a zombie's head, the character would go through a predetermined set of autonomous movements. During these action cycles, the in game camera would reel all over the place contrary to what I was doing with my mouse-look. This was very disturbing to my senses, and it was not possible to disable the camera being locked to the character's head movements.

hey Mark ,whats the best nivida driver these days for light boost ..Ive been runnin 320.49 for awhile

thanks

Does anyone here have a VG278HR monitor? I am very interested in hearing from you.

The VG278H and VG278HE are common, but the VG278HR is very hard to find.

can i just double check something? I know the 27" models are best for colour, but just wondering if the 2411T has decent brightness in lightboost mode? What i mean by this is that some models suffer badlt when lightboost is enabled, but i can't remember which (though i have a feeling it was certain Asus models?).

Just want to know what downsides this model will have over all others before i buy.

Just picked up the Asus VG248QE to see what this lightboost + 120hz+ gaming is all about. I JUST picked up a VP2770 so I will compare them side by side. If I end up liking the 120hz+ more than the IPS colors of the VP2770 then i'll return both and get a 27" lightboost monitor.

I'll post my results once I have the opportunity to test both side by side.

Just picked up the Asus VG248QE to see what this lightboost + 120hz+ gaming is all about. I JUST picked up a VP2770 so I will compare them side by side. If I end up liking the 120hz+ more than the IPS colors of the VP2770 then i'll return both and get a 27" lightboost monitor.

I'll post my results once I have the opportunity to test both side by side.
Make sure you:

-- Have a really powerful GPU. Something capable of framerates equalling Hz.
-- Adjust to recommended LightBoost picture settings from the LightBoost FAQ.
-- Test framerate locking for better LightBoost motion. 120fps@120Hz using Adaptive VSYNC (less lag) or VSYNC ON (more lag)
LightBoost looks much better at framerate equalling Hz, since the clarity of CRT makes stutters/tearing easier to see.

Test fast panning motions (pans/strafes/turns/flybys) such as www.testufo.com/#test=photo (use Chrome)

Hello,

Just trying to setup my new 3 x Asus VG248QE in PORTRAIT MODE.. I want to be able to play games with LightBoost enabled so I want to make sure I connect them the correct way etc..
Pictured below is one of my Evga GTX 780 Classified cards that I will be running in SLI. Can someone link me or tell me the best way to connect them so I can run them with LightBoost.

Thanks

03G-P4-3788-KR_XL_5.jpg

assuming there is nothing extra special about lightboost and it's just a case of enabling nvidia surround, you should be able to use any combo, so 2x dvi + 1xdp or hdmi. However, i do think I've heard you may need hdmi 1.4 to use hdmi for 120hz, so it will depend on whether that monitor supports 1.4.

But these are just assumptions, hopefully someone can confirm. Personally i'd go with 2xdvi +dp if it is an option which works with lightboost.

*EDIT* actually i guess I'm forgetting the limitations of single-link DVI. Definitely wait for someone else to give advice, as i think you'll need dual-link DVI cables for 120hz (of which appear to come in the box for this screen anyway) :)

Last edited:
assuming there is nothing extra special about lightboost and it's just a case of enabling nvidia surround, you should be able to use any combo, so 2x dvi + 1xdp or hdmi. However, i do think I've heard you may need hdmi 1.4 to use hdmi for 120hz, so it will depend on whether that monitor supports 1.4.

But these are just assumptions, hopefully someone can confirm. Personally i'd go with 2xdvi +dp if it is an option which works with lightboost.

*EDIT* actually i guess I'm forgetting the limitations of single-link DVI. Definitely wait for someone else to give advice, as i think you'll need dual-link DVI cables for 120hz (of which appear to come in the box for this screen anyway) :)

With two cards in sli, two monitors need to be connected to the first card, and one to the 2nd card.
Use dual-link-dvi since you don't have enough of any other port anyway (displayport would work too, if the cards had more of those).

The "configure surround" button will also tell you this.

assuming there is nothing extra special about lightboost and it's just a case of enabling nvidia surround
Until recently, it was extremely difficult. LightBoost requires an nVidia-specific unlock, which does not occur in portrait mode because nVidia does not support 3D Vision in portrait mode. Hacky approaches needed to be done.

But today, ToastyX's Strobelight makes it easy to enable LightBoost on any simultaneous number of ASUS/BENQ monitors. It no longer depends on the nVidia drivers for LightBoost initialization.

With two cards in sli, two monitors need to be connected to the first card, and one to the 2nd card.
Use dual-link-dvi since you don't have enough of any other port anyway (displayport would work too, if the cards had more of those).

The "configure surround" button will also tell you this.

Like this pictured below..

Monitorsetup_zps1b68ef59.jpg

I've noticed that in recent NVIDIA drivers, that in order to get Lightboost to "stick" in Surround mode, after you do everything with ToastyX's app, you have to add the "custom" resolution in the control panel with the same timing settings and then Surround will work properly. That's what I have to do with my Titans and XL2720T's in portrait surround anyways, or else the NVIDIA control panel kicks it back to individual monitors when trying to enable surround.

I've noticed that in recent NVIDIA drivers, that in order to get Lightboost to "stick" in Surround mode, after you do everything with ToastyX's app, you have to add the "custom" resolution in the control panel with the same timing settings and then Surround will work properly. That's what I have to do with my Titans and XL2720T's in portrait surround anyways, or else the NVIDIA control panel kicks it back to individual monitors when trying to enable surround.
So nVidia has made it more difficult to use LightBoost with triple surround monitors setup?

Can you explain more on where I should start in CUSTOM setting in control panel etc.. Well after setup my monitors up in 2D Portrait it will not let me use the CREATE CUSTOM RESOLUTION button pictured..
And as you mentioned everytime I try to play BF3 it drops left and right monitors etc..

asusportraitsetup_zps68f05e07.jpg

Last edited:
Just received my Asus VG248QE and here are my thoughts after testing it along side the ViewSonic VP2770. First let me say that I haven't played on a CRT in years, so I'm only used to 60hz gaming.

1. Going from 60Hz to 120Hz+ is a huge improvement. There is such a difference that I am now going be returning my VP2770. The fast refresh rate is very noticeable and I don't think I can go back to 60Hz after playing on it with 120Hz +.

2. I really don't see much of a difference with Lightboost On/Off. Maybe it's just me but I don't see too much of a difference.

3. The colors on the VG24QE definitely aren't as good as the VP2770, but I feel that I could probably mess with the settings to get it looking better. It may not ever be comparable since the VP2770 is an IPS panel, but everything looks better on the VP2770.

I'll be returning the VP 2770 for now until I can find a good 27" 1440p 120hz monitor. Just thought i'd post my thoughts for those still considering jumping on the 120Hz + bandwagon.

Last edited:
2. I really don't see much of a difference with Lightboost On/Off. Maybe it's just me but I don't see too much of a difference.
Did you try framerate-locked VSYNC'd motion (e.g. Adaptive VSYNC (lower lag) or VSYNC ON (higher lag)), with a high-quality mouse? You need to eliminate all sources of microstutters, to amplify the LightBoost improvement. The improvement is most dramatic in games that can do fully sync'd 120fps@120Hz.

View www.testufo.com/#test=photo in Chrome browser while turning on/off LightBoost.

Did you try framerate-locked VSYNC'd motion (e.g. Adaptive VSYNC (lower lag) or VSYNC ON (higher lag)), with a high-quality mouse? You need to eliminate all sources of microstutters, to amplify the LightBoost improvement. The improvement is most dramatic in games that can do fully sync'd 120fps@120Hz.

View www.testufo.com/#test=photo in Chrome browser while turning on/off LightBoost.

Okay, form that site I can clearly see a difference with it on versus off. I did not mess with the VSync In-Game, so that might be why. I am using BF3 as an example and my FPS is 120FPS with my refresh rate set to 120Hz. I think VSync is set to On in BF3, so i'll try it with the setting disabled.

I will leave my initial thoughts for my BenQ 2411T purchase - have not tried lightboost yet, just 144hz mode.

I am one of those old timers who used a CRT at at least 100hz for counter-strike (sometimes much higher), but since then have of course been through many TFT's over the years - the currents being 3x Dell 2412m Dell's.

The motion at 144hz is a significant improvement which you notice as soon as you switch in desktop. I even tried v-sync on in CS:GO at 144hz and it's almost unnoticeable - it's certainly there, but it's likely usable for many who would normally swear by 60hz v-sync off.

BUT, the colour shift over IPS screens (which i've used for years) is going to be tough to live with. The inaccurate colours i can live with, it's the shift which is horrific.

Also, the biggest shift is from low, so the higher the monitor is, the mosr things go sour. I tend to watch quite a few movies, etc, lying down and i end up hardly being able to see the image, it's that bad.

So as everyone already knows, the tremendous advantages in motion (again, haven't even tried lightboost yet) cost you many things. I will have to keep at least one Dell around for good. But as long as your eyes are flush with the top of the screen (this is how you should use a monitor anyway) it is actually not too bad for colours or shift. it's just i rarely use my monitor like this.

So I ask those active here - how much better could one of the better 24" screens be at limiting the complaint I have with the shift. Or perhaps the 27" models?

The motion at 144hz is a significant improvement which you notice as soon as you switch in desktop. I even tried v-sync on in CS:GO at 144hz and it's almost unnoticeable - it's certainly there, but it's likely usable for many who would normally swear by 60hz v-sync off.
Just so you know --
The difference between VSYNC ON/OFF is quite different with LightBoost enabled, than with LightBoost disabled. Some prefer one, and some prefer the other, while Adaptive VSYNC is a good compromise.

Also, the biggest shift is from low, so the higher the monitor is, the mosr things go sour. I tend to watch quite a few movies, etc, lying down and i end up hardly being able to see the image, it's that bad.
Tilting the monitor downwards helps, but not all stands let you do that.

The VG278H (H original, not HE) has less vertical color shifting than the VG248QE does, but the shifting problem is still an issue.

Hello everyone. Need help. Before: sorry my bad english
I am chosing monitor for games. And Im analyzing all of variants. I need 23-24" 120 Hz

And I need help to choise right variant.

I saw that BenQ xl2420t, BenQ XL2411T, Asus VG248QE have crystal effect. I dont know how I should notice it, and how my eyes should carry it.

On the other side I found Samsung S23A700D, S23A750D and S23A950D which have glossy screen and none crystal effect, plus images will be more contrast and deep.

But I found some reviews that considered Samsung monitors have huge input lag in comparison BenQ / Asus monitors. It's right? And how much this value is after lightboost ON?

Another quastion: did Benq / Asus have little input lag after LightBoost ON?
As a result I choose between BenQ / Asus / Samsung according to the parameter input lag after LightBoost in 2D.
P.S. Is the difference between 23-24" in games except inch sizes? All tham have 1920x1080, but where goes 1 inch+? Which monitor is more comfortable?

Just so you know --
The difference between VSYNC ON/OFF is quite different with LightBoost enabled, than with LightBoost disabled. Some prefer one, and some prefer the other, while Adaptive VSYNC is a good compromise.

I thought adaptive v-sync was a feature where when you hit the v-sync refresh rate, v-sync is on, but if it goes below this refresh, it turns itself off?

Also, what is the difference you talk of regarding vsync and LB? Interested in knowing the details. I assume it must be better in LB mode because latency is far lower?

I thought adaptive v-sync was a feature where when you hit the v-sync refresh rate, v-sync is on, but if it goes below this refresh, it turns itself off?
That's correct visually. Behind the scenes, no extra buffers are used during Adaptive VSYNC than with VSYNC OFF, it simply is steering the tearline to off the edge of the screen (all in the timing the flips of the back buffer to the front buffer). During VSYNC ON in many games, extra buffers can be used. Also one major complaint of VSYNC ON is not just the input lag, but also the wide variances in input lag -- whenever the framerate suddenly halves, input lag also suddenly goes up. You know those times when 60fps suddenly goes to 30fps, the lag suddenly increases even further. The input lag fluctuations is often far worse than the input lag itself (as bad as input lag is). Adaptive VSYNC avoids these sudden fluctuations in input lag.

Also, what is the difference you talk of regarding vsync and LB? Interested in knowing the details. I assume it must be better in LB mode because latency is far lower?
No, not because of latency.
Latency is always worse with VSYNC ON.

On CRT's, plasma's and LightBoost, motion is clearer.
Having less motion blur, also causes tearing & microstutters to become easier to see.
Tearing and microstutters can look more ugly on CRT/plasma/LightBoost.
So for maximum motion quality, it can be tempting to enable VSYNC ON or use Adaptive.

30fps@60Hz looks more "stuttery" on a CRT, than on an LCD. There is less motion blur, but the lowness of the framerate is easier to see on a flicker display.

View www.testufo.com on a CRT, and then on an LCD (at the same refresh rate), and you'll understand that 30fps-vs-60fps (or 60fps-vs-120fps) is far more dramatic on CRT than on an LCD. This situation is equally the case on LightBoost vs non-LightBoost.

These are competing goals. VSYNC OFF for better input lag. VSYNC ON for better motion fluidity. Adaptive tries to bridge this gap.

I can still notice tearing even at framerates above Hz, even beyond 200fps, as tearing is visible regardless of framerate for me. But the tearing does gradually become harder to see the more the framerate goes up far beyond Hz (except at harmonic frequencies, such as doing capped 240fps@120Hz creating two near-stationary tearlines). Doing VSYNC OFF at "insane" framerates (e.g. 300fps, 500fps+, like in old Quake games) does helps quite a bit to reduce/eliminate microstutters and tearing, while keeping input lag low. Ultrahigh framerates means the horizontal offsets at the tearline, become so tiny and unnoticeable. So, there's still a usefulness to doing "insane" framerates in terms of lowering input lag and also reducing VSYNC-OFF-related visual artifacts (tearing / microstutters).

But if your framerates generally hovers 100fps-150fps, it's better for me to turn on Adaptive VSYNC during competitive gameplay (as the input lag delta between 100-150fps VSYNC OFF versus 120fps Adaptive is extremely tiny), to stabilize the framerates and reducing the tearing/microstutters that can distract me. It's a compromise, mind you. But if you can do VSYNC OFF at 300fps+, you've reduced input lag so much (and hopefully VSYNC-OFF artifacts like tearing), you might as well keep VSYNC OFF.

Last edited:
Does Toasty's lightboost work with Beta Driver 326.80?
Should work with all known recent nVidia drivers, unless it's Optimus (laptop switching between internal GPU and nVidia GPU).

If there's a new nVidia driver beta that is preventing Strobelight, then ToastyX would like to know!
But so far, no trends like that has occured.

Last edited:
Got my XL2720T yesterday to set up next to my OC Overlord.

Lightboost (via Strobelight) definitely has my attention. The clarity so far (in just a couple games) has been impressive. I hope to get more time with it this weekend, but so far, very very smooth experience and worth the money (after coupon code at buydig).

Thanks to ToastyX and Mark for all their efforts to bring these better options to the masses.

Surprisingly, whites are quite accurate in this photo. Even more surprising is that the best "whites" come from the Xl2420TE. The other two monitors were a bit "muddier-red" in their whites, but no adjustment's were made in NVIDIA control panel to keep the comparison on an even footing.

Is that weird oval shape shadow is present on all 120/144hz monitors? Especially the middle one and the right one looks pretty bad. On the white screen is easily seen on thi screenshots, just lower the contrast on you monitor and you will see it.

It looks really bad and if all of them have it I hope it's covered by the warranty.

It looks really bad and if all of them have it I hope it's covered by the warranty.
The oval shape is caused by pressure created by the stand mount, especially if the monitor has been laying flat inside its box on its side for a long time in storage (stockroom, etc). Monitors are supposed to be transported right-side up, rather than lying flat, or the stand creates a pressure oval like this. It often settles after a few days of being on and vertical, but if it is still really bad, it may be a legitimate warranty claim. You may also want to run high-motion material continuously 24/7 on the monitor to try and diminish the oval marking. Letting the monitor settle down. It's the same problem as pressing a fingernail hard on an LCD for a long time, you leave a mark that sometimes doesn't disappear for a longer than normal time. (don't try this, except on an old LCD)

Last edited:
I've added a new motion test to TestUFO that shows a noticeable difference of the pros/cons of LightBoost=10% versus LightBoost=100%:

TestUFO Panning Map Test:
www.testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=toronto-map.png&pps=1440

Running this in Chrome browser (or Opera 15/FireFox 24+) while using Strobelight, switch LightBoost strobe brightness between 10% and 100%. You will see the text in the map become clearer/blurrier. That's your eyes seeing the 1 millisecond differences in strobe length. The screen does become quite dark during LightBoost=10%. A lot of the benefit is not seen in many games, but some people clearly see it -- and this is why some people like LightBoost=10% if they are gaming in a dark room. A good compromise setting can be LightBoost=50%, but if you can't stand it, LightBoost=100% still has less motion blur than non-LightBoost. Just try to turn off LightBoost during this panning map, you can no longer read the text anymore.

I've added a new motion test to TestUFO that shows a noticeable difference of the pros/cons of LightBoost=10% versus LightBoost=100%:

TestUFO Panning Map Test:
www.testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=toronto-map.png&pps=1440

Running this in Chrome browser (or Opera 15/FireFox 24+) while using Strobelight, switch LightBoost strobe brightness between 10% and 100%. You will see the text in the map become clearer/blurrier. That's your eyes seeing the 1 millisecond differences in strobe length. The screen does become quite dark during LightBoost=10%. A lot of the benefit is not seen in many games, but some people clearly see it -- and this is why some people like LightBoost=10% if they are gaming in a dark room. A good compromise setting can be LightBoost=50%, but if you can't stand it, LightBoost=100% still has less motion blur than non-LightBoost. Just try to turn off LightBoost during this panning map, you can no longer read the text anymore.

Nice. This is really helpful. I could easily tell 10% is clearer than 100% with this.

Nice. This is really helpful. I could easily tell 10% is clearer than 100% with this.
It's often very subtle in games.

To see this in videogames, you need the game motion to be as smooth as TestUFO. This only occurs if you have a very fast GPU, and you have a super-fluid mouse (e.g. 1000Hz mouse), and framerate locked motion (e.g. VSYNC ON or Adaptive VSYNC), and very consistent turning motions to see the same kind of motion clarity differences in the video games for LB=10% and LB=100%, as you can with TestUFO: Panning Map Test ... Some games with the high contrast edges (e.g. Borderlands 2) more noticeably benefits from LightBoost=50% and LightBoost=10% than the average game, as long as the picture is still bright (e.g. I'm gaming at night)

But it does help gain a good understanding why some people, including Vega, prefer LB=10% even though the improvement is usually very slight. Some people have ultra-high-end systems (e.g fast GPU, fast 1000Hz mouse) and play ultra-high-detail videogames at ultrahigh framerates, all of which amplifies the difference LB=10% vs LB=100%, making it easier to see in games than the average system. It's the kind of games that output ultracomplex graphics (e.g. Crysis 3) at ultrahigh framerates (e.g. 120fps), that few systems except Vega are able to do.

It's often very subtle in games.

To see this in videogames, you need the game motion to be as smooth as TestUFO. This only occurs if you have a very fast GPU, and you have a super-fluid mouse (e.g. 1000Hz mouse), and framerate locked motion (e.g. VSYNC ON or Adaptive VSYNC), and very consistent turning motions to see the same kind of motion clarity differences in the video games for LB=10% and LB=100%, as you can with TestUFO: Panning Map Test ... Some games with the high contrast edges (e.g. Borderlands 2) more noticeably benefits from LightBoost=50% and LightBoost=10% than the average game, as long as the picture is still bright (e.g. I'm gaming at night)

But it does help gain a good understanding why some people, including Vega, prefer LB=10% even though the improvement is usually very slight. Some people have ultra-high-end systems (e.g fast GPU, fast 1000Hz mouse) and play ultra-high-detail videogames at ultrahigh framerates, all of which amplifies the difference LB=10% vs LB=100%, making it easier to see in games than the average system. It's the kind of games that output ultracomplex graphics (e.g. Crysis 3) at ultrahigh framerates (e.g. 120fps), that few systems except Vega are able to do.

I have 2x SLI 770s powering just one VG248 so I typically get over 120 fps in most games that I play and I noticed lightboost does make a huge difference in clarity over 144hz standard. In games I play that dip below 120fps it is almost always CPU limited, even though I have my 4770k at 4.3GHz.

StarCraft 2 absolutely destroys CPUs when there are thousands of units on screen in late game 4v4s. I play SC2 in non-lightboost 144hz mode because late game I often will average well below 60 fps.

Most people seem to think the games that benefit from lightboost the most are FPSs, but I thought lightboost was extremely beneficial in SC2. When there are a bunch of units moving on screen selecting or targeting a single unit was easier with the added lightboost motion clarity. The problem is that the framerate in SC2 inevitably always dips down as the game goes on because there end up being so many units, and it is really hard to play at 40fps with 120hz lightboost enabled.

I don't think there is a game I wouldn't play with lightboost enabled as long as I'm getting 120+ fps.

It really goes without saying, that for maximum LightBoost satisfaction, people ideally need those triple-digit framerates.

The oval shape is caused by pressure created by the stand mount, especially if the monitor has been laying flat inside its box on its side for a long time in storage (stockroom, etc). Monitors are supposed to be transported right-side up, rather than lying flat, or the stand creates a pressure oval like this. It often settles after a few days of being on and vertical, but if it is still really bad, it may be a legitimate warranty claim. You may also want to run high-motion material continuously 24/7 on the monitor to try and diminish the oval marking. Letting the monitor settle down. It's the same problem as pressing a fingernail hard on an LCD for a long time, you leave a mark that sometimes doesn't disappear for a longer than normal time. (don't try this, except on an old LCD)

Thank you for your answer.

Last edited:
I cannot find the BenQ XL2420TE on the BenQ website. Instead, the specifications of the XL2420T seem to have changed. All of the sudden the T-version is 144Hz with flicker-free technology (used to be 120Hz, PWM).
So how on earth can I make sure that I'll receive a T-version with the new specs when I order an XL2420T? How should the vendor know?
This is completely crazy, or do I miss something here?
http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/xl2420t/specifications/

Back