Asus 7950 DC II (Literally) Caught Fire

I wish I would have read this thread before getting my computer parts! I would have avoided the ASUS products :/. Sorry to hear about the trouble OP.

I currently have 6 monitors, router, 2x motherboards and 2x dvd/blue ray drives from asus :( I hope they all keep working!

I currently have 6 monitors, router, 2x motherboards and 2x dvd/blue ray drives from asus :( I hope they all keep working!

Same here: 1 monitor (ASUS PA248Q), 1 sound card (ROG Xonar Phoebus), 1 router (RT-N66U) and 1 USB Wireless Adapter (USB-N53). It would be a waste (and quite foolish) to get rid of everything ASUS only because they have problems with RMAs. But I will not purchase anything from them anymore if an alternative is available or until it appears that they have improved their RMA process.

This particular issue began on 05-30-2013 and it is still not resolved. This tells me that to get resolution with ASUS you need to make a pretty big fuss on a large and well respected forum like [H] where they have a presence and hope that your thread will get traction. Only then will they at least try and work something with you. You also better be prepared to wait a few months...

Finally, after nearly 3 months of pain, it's the moment everyone (and myself) have been waiting for. So I got in touch with ASUS when they received my old card, and they overnight-ed the GTX770 replacement. I documented the unboxing process and the card appears to be brand new, even had the plastic on the back plate, which is a plus. It also seems to function perfectly.

I'm pretty thrilled to have this whole debacle over with. It's regrettable that it took this long to get this point, not to mention the amount of kicking and screaming that had to go on to make it happen. Nonetheless, I finally got a replacement. I do appreciate the help of the cl team, and let me say it's actually nice to communicate with support when they're not stonewalling you. It shouldn't be that hard to get a resolution in the first place though. I'm not going to go on ranting though as honestly it's been so long I'm not that livid anymore.

As for ASUS, I can't say (at this point anyway) that I'll be buying or recommending their products, but I'll give them a shot with the GTX770 and see how it works out. I just wish they could have been this helpful from the beginning and I didn't have to jump through so many hoops to get here.

I'll update the first post as well in case everybody doesn't want to have to dig through 20+ pages.

PICS:
IMG_1124_zpsf67af3f4.jpg

IMG_1125_zps429aa7eb.jpg

IMG_1128_zps617ef470.jpg

IMG_1130_zpsf6c2c0d9.jpg

Nice! I just discovered this thread last night and read through it all. I was exhausted by the time I read through it, so I can't imagine how you feel to have it over with now, lol.

It's absurd that you had to go through all of that to get a replacement card when it's pretty clear (to me anyways, esp. after Fifth Horse broke it down earlier in the thread) that it was due to a hardware defect and was not your fault whatsoever.

I've had issues with Asus's products and RMA process with other products (transformer pad, motherboard), but not due to rejecting my request, just constantly breaking and them making me pay shipping and waiting 3-4 weeks for my replacement. So it's hard for me to recommend them to anyone either.

But I just wanted to say congrats on your upgrade even though it took 3 months for them to send it to you! I don't think it quite makes up for the ass-pain they've put you through to get it, but I'm glad they thought enough to compensate you in some way for your troubles. I might have forgave them if I got a written sincere sounding apology from them for all the trouble they put you through though.

Well, I think I would have left the card unopened brand new and sold it.

I'm seriously considering trading the Asus z87 deluxe motherboard that I won for free from Kyle due to their continuous customer support issues. I'm trying to be level headed about it since I personally have not had any problems with their products, but I don't want to have a debacle like this one.

Good luck with your new card OP. Hopefully we don't see another thread from you about this GPU burning up in less than 3 years.

I'm glad they were forced to sort you out in the end, their attitude in this thread was deplorable.
Other hardware mfrs must be loving this thread (and the others linked), more business for them.

Great news at last! Hope the new card work properly and for a long time! Nice to know ASUS finally resolved the issue, even if they needed a little nudge! ;)

This is great for you Derp. I'm very happy to see you got a brand new product, and a good one at that.

To even remotely thank or recognize ASUS for this "episode" is unthinkable.
I mean, three months to simply do the right thing.

There isn't much else to say......you know....."there ARE two sides to every story" and this was obvious "customer-induced-damage".:D:eek::rolleyes:

Oh yeah.....what's the warranty like on this new card?

For sure you guys have some great points, and it's not like I've forgotten everything that's transpired up until this point. I just wanted to make sure it worked after all of this. After all, I have received a few packages from ASUS during this ordeal, all of them a burnt 7950...

Whether or not I'll be keeping the card, who knows. Obviously this whole episode has me extremely apprehensive about having to ever deal with ASUS at any point down the road. One thing I do know with certainty, however, is that I sure as hell can't sell it here :p

Wow, has it really been over 2 months since I first posted in here? Didn't realize it was that long ago... Been monitoring the thread (and all of the antics LOL) for whatever outcome and let me add to the collective voice: Holy crap, so much unnecessary BS to put up with.

I could add to the voices here, but it wouldn't add anything of value. I'll simply say that I'm quite thrilled that you received a better card than what you had and whatever you decide to do with it, hopefully it lasts for quite a long time... and doesn't burst into flames. :D

As an ASUS motherboard owner (which has its own documented issues...) upgrade time makes me wary about resale value. Add another to the list of those strongly cautioned by the quality of customer service currently being given by ASUS.

derp: Good on you for sticking through all this, man. Be sure to watch that card for any strange dealings.

ASUS: I want to like you as a company, but things like this get documented and make me think twice and three times about supporting your products monetarily. Please consider this (hopefully extreme and isolated) situation as an opportunity for improvement. We as an enthusiast community like your products, but not if we get treated as liars when a product does (and CAN) have technical issues.

Glad you finally got it resolved and even upgraded you to the 770 :) but honestly like many have said never should have even gotten this far to begin with.

Lol. It took about three months (and me paying shipping, insurance, time, and effort, three times) for them to get my P6T6WS board fixed (I then sold it on eBay, lol), so I guess if you've got an unusual problem requiring RMA, give them at least that long to sort things out with you.

That said, I'm glad it's finally over for you. Hopefully Asus will learn from this very public fight and stop jerking their customers around. You should not have to dread calling and/or emailing Asus for an RMA.

Wait... they gave you a GTX 770 to replace an HD 7950? Isn't that a noticeable downgrade in many respects?

GTX 770 has 1GB less video RAM, 7% less memory bandwidth, and the TDP is 30w higher. It's the lowest efficiency (performance-per-watt) card in Nvidia's entire current-gen lineup.

Nice of Asus...

Doesn't look like they tested any resolutions higher than 2560x1600, even though all cards in the test support Eyefinity/Surround :confused:

Bit strange, but I suppose that masks the memory capacity advantage on the AMD card...

Plus, it's worth more.

Well, it is branded Asus, so that reduces the resell value a lot in my eyes. ;)

Glad to finally see you get something for all the crap you had to deal with Derp...

ASUS, this does nothing to change my view of your company at this point. I know damn well that you will continue to do this on a daily basis, as it is too tempting for you to keep padding your bottom line once you start..It's a shame, because I have owned many Asus products, but will no longer. I just fell in love with my ASROCK Z77 Extreme 4 (that I chose over an Asus board priced $125+ higher) all over again;)!

Glad that Derp finally got something other than "tough Nouggies" out of asus. I think many of us just wanted this whole ordeal to have an amicable solution alot faster, as many of us wouldn't have the patience to sit through it all.

It makes you wonder if he would get anything if he didn't make a big stink about it on forums.

It makes you wonder if he would get anything if he didn't make a big stink about it on forums.

No. He would have been SOOL. Like most people who don't know where to turn.:mad:

The forum traffic, in my humble opinion, got some action and the rest was up to ASUS' conscience.

No. He would have been SOOL. Like most people who don't know where to turn.:mad:

The forum traffic, in my humble opinion, got some action and the rest was up to ASUS' conscience.

Which is exactly why the pc enthusiast community as a whole needs to work together to either get Asus to completely change their warranty practices or put them out of business if they refuse to change in this regard.

My 0.02

Had 3 Gigabyte HD 7950 Rev 2's go on me within a month. Classic VRM flame-out.

That being said, the RMA process was very simple because the cards were all within 3 years old and had non-registered serials. Had my RMA numbers within 72 hours.

Which is exactly why the pc enthusiast community as a whole needs to work together to either get Asus to completely change their warranty practices or put them out of business if they refuse to change in this regard.

My 0.02

afraid so, my brand loyalty with ASUS is at an end until they right the ship

Back