astronomical GPU prices?

Willing to bet none of that happens.

I do not gamble and therefore do not engage in leveraged speculative markets like cryptocurrency and even the stock market. Those markets do not create wealth but merely redistribute it. The only real source of wealth creation is the working class. I expect the 2nd phase of the 2008 financial crisis to unfold later this year or early 2019. The pyramid of indebtedness in the industrial countries is astronomical and the end of zero percent borrowing for the banksters will choke off the economy. The huge stock market bubble will collapse either starting in the US or in China, matters not. The international financial system is teetering on the edge now. Foreclosures are once again rising rapidly and could trigger the pricking of the bubble. It is just a matter of time and time is short.

Last edited:
I do not gamble and therefore do not engage in leveraged speculative markets like cryptocurrency and even the stock market. Those markets do not create wealth but merely redistribute it. The only real source of wealth creation is the working class. I expect the 2nd phase of the 2008 financial crisis to unfold later this year or early 2019. The pyramid of indebtedness in the industrial countries is astronomical and the end of zero percent borrowing for the banksters will choke off the economy. The huge stock market bubble will collapse either starting in the US or in China, matters not. The international financial system is teetering on the edge now. Foreclosures are once again rising rapidly and could trigger the pricking of the bubble. It is just a matter of time and time is short.

...and you choose not to own some crypto eh?

Better of buy GTX 960 or something for the time being. And try to snag a new 11xx series GPU last quarter of the year. Those will sell out at launch, so you need to be quick though :)

Yep. I was thinking the same. Not as much as you but I spent close to it.

However, I did this in the previous boom. Once it crashed, I sold my equipment. If I kept mining , I would have been millionaire. Just keep mining the most profitable coin, then convert to something that you think it will grow. I was mining Dash coin in 2014-2015. I sold them when they were $3 a piece. If I kept them, I would have had 9-10million at the peak.

you will see it soon mining profits suck right my 1080 is only making 2.80 a day right now i didnt buy for mining but use it when not gaming btc looks to keep droping i say it gets stable around 5k.

Mind if I express some differences of ..... experience?

Over the last few decades, I have invested in Treasury Bills, CDs, mutual funds, individual stocks, my company's 401K, and real estate. I'm not rich, not like own yachts and mansions rich, but my wife and I are OK and I expect that by retirement in a few short years, we'll have an annual income of close to $72,000 without lifting a finger to make it. Our investments will make it for us.

So I suppose I need to thank those who distributed in my direction.

I think I qualify is working class, pretty bourgeois actually, I drink my beer from the bottle and my fish ain't raw when I eat it.

I use credit, borrow, every month .... which I pay the full balance of every month ...... and for my promptness I earn 2.5% cash back so I'm not just getting 0%, my bank is paying me to borrow their money.

I bought a condo just before the last "bubble burst". It didn't make us the money I had panned, but I didn't loose my ass either.

I have another $50K right now I want to put into something but I went tooling through some of my favorites the other day and truthfully, everyone is up right now and I was always told to buy low and sell high so I'm holding off at the moment. Of course the last time I didn't want to invest it was right after 9/11 and everything was low and falling and I was scared when I should have been buying my ass off. Live and learn I say. I'll know enough to recognize a golden opportunity next time.

Good days come and go, economies rise and fall. A large sea change isn't the end of everything, it's just a time for new winners and new losers and the race goes on.

One man's loss is another man's gain so maybe you have a good eye for some things, but I'm not sure your wallet is one of them :sneaky:

EDITED: Looks like large parts of the market are seeing some profit taking, things are looking better for sinking some money into something.

Last edited:
someone mentioned it in either this thread or another, and all the signs are there.. basically .. start saving your pennies... lol

I use credit, borrow, every month .... which I pay the full balance of every month ...... and for my promptness I earn 2.5% cash back so I'm not just getting 0%, my bank is paying me to borrow their money.

What is this credit card that gives you 2.5% for paying back on time? I'd really like to know, cos I pay my credit in full every month and get nothing for it. So, please, share the wisdom.

Still think this thing is going to hold? I got 8 cards in boxes that I don't know what to do with.

Still think this thing is going to hold? I got 8 cards in boxes that I don't know what to do with.

I hope you can return them people arent going to pay inflated prices with btc about to drop under 6k theirs always the chance it recovers but it might be a month or two or longer no one knows stock market is even down.

ouchy well if you have cheap or free electric you could run them might take awhile to break even i only pay 7 cents a kilowatt here so only about 30-50 a month for me to mine with a 2600k,6800k,x5670 a rx480 and gtx 1080 right now looks like i barely make 5-6usd so for a month im not even making 150. Depending on price and what you got i would might even try to sell some local for cost or a little less if you have to maybe see about building some gaming rigs or something to help regain some of the spent money just a idea.

Last edited:
Mine, mine, mine. For some the low prices for Crypto is a God send, in other words when there is blood - BUY!

BTC has dropped as low as 92% back in 2011 to 2$, has dropped many times since and has recovered but the overall trend is well -> Astronomical. Those who bought at $2 and held probably has made their best financial decision in their life.

Well I couldn't stomach it. I am going to be returning the 2 EVGA Hybrids. The Seahawks I will keep when they arrive or re-sell.

how coincidential it is that is been 10 years since 2008, my gut feelings telling me the same scenario is going to happen again, otherwise im a conspiracy theorist.

Will the difficulty change back at all with the miners falling out? Or does it stay they same?

Will the difficulty change back at all with the miners falling out? Or does it stay they same?
There are no "miners falling out" just because someone posts pics of GPU boxes on Reddit with a fake story attached to them. Angry gamers *want* to believe thats happening but it's not reality if we look at actual metrics.

So difficulty won't really sink (unfortunately) because any january noobs freaked out by BTC's dip, or who focus on the wrong metric (USD/day) were a drop in the ocean anyway. The larger operations, and any hobby miner with a brain isn't stopping for shit because it's about slow roll, monthly and quarterly moving averages; not reacting and kneejerking like nervous chihuahuas every time there's a sudden dip or spike in the value of BTC or crypto market overall. There are many other factors besides current BTC value that go into mining profitability.

Last edited:
There are no "miners falling out" just because someone posts pics of GPU boxes on Reddit with a fake story attached to them. People *want* to believe that nonsense.

So difficulty won't really sink (unfortunately) because any january noobs freaked out by BTC's dip, or who focus on the wrong metric (USD/day) were a drop in the ocean anyway. The larger operations, per any hobby miner with a brain isn't stopping for shit - it's about slow roll, moving averages rather than reacting and kneejerking like nervous Chihuahuas at sudden dips or spikes.

I agree it's too early to panic. But someone who bought a ton of video cards on financing might have reason to return IF they believe the market will not recover soon. They may have to pay out more in interest than they take in causing a net loss. (You're an idiot if you financed these cards even with six months interest free) Some are figuring what they can sell their video cards now and weighing against it. So I wouldn't be surprised to see a blip in used cards available. Some of these people are likely also scalpers who are selling video cards just for profit and are worried about oversupply on the market.

That said, saying "Don't panic" is akin to sitting on the deck of the Titanic playing music as the boat sinks.

Newegg sent me an email about a week back "RX580's ARE IN"...I went to click on it and saw $580. I laughed and walked away. Newegg is losing my business. Amazon is my friend now.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is this credit card that gives you 2.5% for paying back on time? I'd really like to know, cos I pay my credit in full every month and get nothing for it. So, please, share the wisdom.

It's a VISA card offered through USAA and requires $1,000 direct deposit into a USAA checking account each month, so that's where my paycheck goes. They touted it as a special offer several months back and I grabbed it. But my old one was 1.5% and it had no requirement other than USAA membership.

I agree it's too early to panic. But someone who bought a ton of video cards on financing might have reason to return IF they believe the market will not recover soon. They may have to pay out more in interest than they take in causing a net loss. (You're an idiot if you financed these cards even with six months interest free) Some are figuring what they can sell their video cards now and weighing against it. So I wouldn't be surprised to see a blip in used cards available. Some of these people are likely also scalpers who are selling video cards just for profit and are worried about oversupply on the market.

That said, saying "Don't panic" is akin to sitting on the deck of the Titanic playing music as the boat sinks.

Newegg sent me an email about a week back "RX580's ARE IN"...I went to click on it and saw $580. I laughed and walked away. Newegg is losing my business. Amazon is my friend now.

I'm not even happy with Amazon, I'm going straight to the supplier. For me, that's EVGA direct.

I don't see GPUs coming down in price until crypto is worthless or the GPUs in use are no longer a viable method for mining.

Neither one is going to happen; crypto isn't going anywhere and by the time the GPUs you want for gaming are no longer good for mining they will be too old for gaming.

I don't see GPUs coming down in price until crypto is worthless or the GPUs in use are no longer a viable method for mining.

Neither one is going to happen; crypto isn't going anywhere and by the time the GPUs you want for gaming are no longer good for mining they will be too old for gaming.

I disagree i see gpus coming down once supplys build back up miners arent gonna pay insane prices at current ROI you wont see new miners jumping in and spending crazy money if its gonna take 2 years to earn back the investment, and no one really knows whats going to happen with coins with places trying to ban or tax coins trading even get rid of miners because of the electric they are using its a big risk.

Back