astronomical GPU prices?

GODenergy

Weaksauce
Hey guys, I was in the market for a GPU because I sold my GTX1080 for student loans 4 months ago.

I was just going to buy a GTX1060, which they used to be like 200-300$ approximately when I remember, NOW they are anywhere from 400-800$ for the 3GB or 6GB versions.

Someone told me its because the cryptocurrency miners and people inflating the GPU market... Will these prices drop now that we are in Jan 2018 OR will they continue to rise!!!!

I'm trying to figure out if I should buy now or wait and if the prices will decrease or ONLY GET HIGHER!!!

The most intensive stuff I do is game, so like PUGB and the new Dragonball FighterZ game!

If you need a card NOW. Get a Titan XP Starwars edtion for $1,138 and skip a couple upgrades + mine it in the off time. The TXP is the only card that can be bought right now at MSRP. It's funny because 1080 TI's ( slightly lesser ) are selling for more

Yes. I think I'm going to post my 1070 ITX in the FS forum because I can get what I paid for it easily. Better than letting it rot in a box in my closet like the other old cards I have. I'm glad I bought the 1080 ITX when I did. Only paid $540 for it when it was released.

If you need a card NOW. Get a Titan XP Starwars edtion for $1,138 and skip a couple upgrades + mine it in the off time. The TXP is the only card that can be bought right now at MSRP. It's funny because 1080 TI's ( slightly lesser ) are selling for more
That Titan Xp will pay itself off in about four months. But even knowing that, it’s hard to spend that kind of money on a GPU. 1180 should be slower than Titan Xp for gaming right? (But supposedly faster for mining)

Watch out for scammers and idiots on ebay. Check out this one where the seller says it's an RX 470 video card, but it's clearly an old Quadro that's pretty much worthless: Item number 273026712971

Yes. Be careful folks. I was researching and saw a 1060 listed as a 1070. Maybe they picked the wrong stock photo but still set off alarm bells.

all it would take is AMD or Nvidia to cleverly code in something in the hardware to make it a gaming only card, put big shiny stickers on the box warning potential buyers it will be unusable for cryptomining, it would suck because that is why I loved AMD for the longest time (and still in some ways) they were much faster (more performance) than anything Nv had when it came to mining/hashing performance.

At least this way here folks wanting to buy one to upgrade theirs for gaming/computer usage will not have to contend with paying top pricing.

Could also be that AMD and Nv are drying stock up for new versions about to hit store shelves?

I don’t like the high prices as much as any other person but I wouldn’t want a company making a decision about what I do with the hardware I purchase (disclaimer: I don’t mine cryptocurrency). If I were leasing, sure, but for a card I buy? No fucking way.

^ so you dont like Nv at all huh LOL..they cut back so many things over the years to focus more or less purely for gaming purposes, unless you get a Titan whatever, it was only recently that they got "in the game" for cryptomining performance, prior to this, you pretty much had to have a pro level card to hash moderately well via Nv graphics cards.

Not to mention, all modern everything already pick and chose what are enabled or disabled by default either through hardware or software, would just be "nice" to have a choice in regards to there have been some that are more or less purely focused on hashing performance (usually pro/workstation class) then there were some (most radeon consumer or pro) that could do either or, part of the reason why they tend to use more power (not always) compared to competing Nv solutions (more transistors to feed for all the fancy stuff, "full fat" vs gaming and only gaming more or less for Nv)

Either way, one still has a choice, to buy or not to buy, at least in theory, this would keep the focus on gaming class, or "do it all" or pure pro/workstation class.

Also, there is the OS, such as Win 10, they absolutely decide how your hardware/software is being used, that has not changed in decades, if anything, it is even more against you get to do what you want to do without them spying on you, or forcing driver updates, a driver update can take what was working amazing yesterday to working like shit tommorow.

I bought my 1070 in July 2016 and have no regrets. I’m running Windows 10 Insider Edition so Microsoft gets a lot of telemetry from me already so I really don’t care that nVidia is slurping from the same data pile.

I gave up waiting on the mining craze to pass and started mining myself. Nothing extravagant, but considering the prices of cards I figured I might as well make some of the money back when I’m not playing a game. One thing I refuse to do however is pay crazy inflated prices from 3rd party seller on Amazon or Newegg. I’ll wait for one to become available that’s shipped and sold by Amazon or Newegg

You're pretty much screwed for the foreseeable future.

Once everyone realizes tulips are are just tulips, they should come back down. But for now, you're hosed.

Thanks for the replies guys. BB Gun and techie81 , why will I be waiting a long time? I have about $1k to spend for both a GPU and monitor, I just felt like crap paying 500$ for a gtx1060 when I remember them being 200-300$ just 1year ago and I also sold my GTX1080... so I'm downgrading.... :(

Do you guys recommend a GTX1060 minimum for 1080p gaming @144hz? Do you recommend the 3GB or 6GB version? The 3gb version, some are 280$ but the 6GB prices are insane at 500-600$

Woah... what the hell?

I picked up a few 3GB 1060 cards for a little over $200 during the holidays. There's nothing under $290 now and most of the cards are $300 to $600 for 1060s !?!?!??!?!?!?

What in the actual #@$! ? Now the 3GB cards are toast for price? I thought miners hated those cards?

That was the last of the "real" gaming cards that were even sort of affordable.

Wait... WHAT? I just looked up EVERY video card. What the hell?

The 1080 Duke card I just bought is now $1400? I'm selling this thing. Who needs games when I can pocket $900?

the only problem is the 3gb hover near 300$ where as all the 6gb gtx1060s are 500$ or greater

Yeah it’s a shitty time to be a PC gamer without a GPU. At these prices I’d just snag a 1050Ti for well under $200 and make due until things settle down or you happen to get lucky enough to find something better at a reasonable price.

Came here to ask this exact question. It's super frustrating that my card is dead, now of all times.

Shop around. Especially local stores. I got a 1060 6G for 240 the other day from Microcenter - went into the new VR system. This was less than 2 weeks ago.

You have to work at it some, but you can do it.

It is Ridiculous, I could sell my 1060 for like 300$ now lol

Ditto. I was tempted at first to list my 1060 6gb, but the profit I'd get wouldn't justify not being able to game for the next several months , IMO.

Yeah it’s a shitty time to be a PC gamer without a GPU. At these prices I’d just snag a 1050Ti for well under $200 and make due until things settle down or you happen to get lucky enough to find something better at a reasonable price.

I ended up reusing my HD7950 3GB card. They are usually much cheaper than the 1050Ti and perform just about the same if you OC it a little (mine is at 1.1Ghz core / 1.5Ghz memory). Can probably get one of those used in the forums for $75.

Ditto. I was tempted at first to list my 1060 6gb, but the profit I'd get wouldn't justify not being able to game for the next several months , IMO.

I dusted off my PS4 and started on my backlog after I sold my GTX1070 for $150 profit. I guess there's never been as good a time to try your hand at console gaming!

I dusted off my PS4 and started on my backlog after I sold my GTX1070 for $150 profit. I guess there's never been as good a time to try your hand at console gaming!

I ain't got a console to dust off. :(

I just purchased a 1070/egpu enclosure for my workstation. I am still sore after that encounter...

How has all this affected warranties? Have been reading that card makers are pro rating. So now you will only receive a fraction of cost for a comparable replacement.

A friend of mine ordered and received ( weeks later ) a 960GTX in China via eBay, full fraud ! about 1/10 of the shaders and cuda cores, tho the card lists as 960GTX in DeviceManger and Nv-cp. Just the miner refuses to use it, aborts with a cuda error.

He wrote back to them and they anmswered it was a shipping error, the correct card will be shipped...well, you can believe that or not. The actual card he got is useless, 2 of them is even more useless.

If he gets the real 960GTX4GB next few eeks than he made a good deal, a fake + a real 960GTX, both for 50€.

I just personally think, that is scam and no one sells a new 960GTX for 50€/$.

Actually, I wanted to buy another 1070/80 or Ti for mining, but now, no, way too expensive. My 1 Ti must be enough until prices come back down to earth.

How has all this affected warranties? Have been reading that card makers are pro rating. So now you will only receive a fraction of cost for a comparable replacement.

And of the MSRP instead of the inflated price it's actually "worth" in today's market.

yeah I'm bummed at the current gpu situation. I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now, but GPUs aren't for gamers anymore, they are for miners thinking they are going to to get rich... good for the GPU makers I guess, but sucks for the people their products are truely intended for.

It's sad that the best way to get your hands on a gaming computer is to buy a gaming laptop.

I know even if they could they wouldn't, but the gpu makers should find a way to lockdown whatever computations the miners do on the cards so they can't, and have a "gamer" line of cards that are just meant for gamers so we can still have our fun upgrades during this mining fad. I have less than 0 interested in ever mining so I wouldn't care if my card locked me out of such work.

yeah I'm bummed at the current gpu situation. I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now, but GPUs aren't for gamers anymore, they are for miners thinking they are going to to get rich... good for the GPU makers I guess, but sucks for the people their products are truely intended for.

At this point, who is to say who video cards are "truly intended for" as both manufacturers know that mining helps their bottom line.

Crypto Market is going to have a bad few days. Be a great time to try and pick up some second hand cards from the folks that jump ship.

We just listed 10 of the GTX 1080Ti cards on eBay for $1100 each and they all sold in one evening.

I'm thinking based on selling prices, I could probably consider selling my GTX 1080Ti, GTX 1080 and GTX 1060 and just buy one of the Titan V cards for better hashrates in one single card for just a bit more cost.

Back