Asrock Problem

Teraunus

n00b
Hey, I have the 775-Dual VSTA motherboard with an average Wireless card, onboard sound, a 6600gt AGP with 128mb of vram, 2 sticks of 512 corsair DDRII 667, and a Conroe Core 2 Duo e6400 2.13ghz. I'm having a problem when I am playing games (ex. F.E.A.R., World of Warcraft, and a few others) that makes my system totally freeze up. I have gone to Asrock's website and found someone with a similar issue, but their solution did not fix mine. I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem that I have. ( I also have a 430 watt truepower Antec power supply and 2 western digital HDD's)
Thanks in advance.

I would make sure you have the latest chipset drivers installed. Maybe the newest bios also. I'd make sure that your memory passes memtest because memory erroring out would cause lockups like that.

a simple solution for me when i was running agp on this board was to up voltage in the bios to high for agp and mem and increase the agp aperture to 128megs and i know this is gonna sound mad but up the pci ecpress bus speed from 100mhz to 117mhz this all got my 9800pro very stable however i do have to say the board works better since i picked up a 6800gt from ebay for the pci ecpress slot

It might be the 6600GT overheating - have you checked the temps on it?

My AGP 6600GT ran very hot - and the little hsi bridge chip gets super hot, and the hsi cooling on some of those cards is pretty mickeymouse. Might want to put a casefan in there to blow cool air across it, or clean out the heatsink and reseat it if you're up to that.

a simple solution for me when i was running agp on this board was to up voltage in the bios to high for agp and mem and increase the agp aperture to 128megs and i know this is gonna sound mad but up the pci ecpress bus speed from 100mhz to 117mhz this all got my 9800pro very stable however i do have to say the board works better since i picked up a 6800gt from ebay for the pci ecpress slot

this could be the problem-- the agp-pci-e volta are connected so put the agp volts to the max--also run the pci-e @ 117 --don't know how this helps --but my asrock couldn't overclock untill i upped the pci-e mhz to 117.

the 430w-tp should be enough --but it might be worth it to check it anyways-- and test the ram--

Wow, thanks for the fast replies, I'll get right on it. And for the overheating VCards, I doubt that they are getting hot because I used to have a ATI 9800 Pro and the whole thing did the same thing, but thanks again.:D

:EDIT: I have changed the voltage and the AGP aperature, but I haven't found where the PCI-e buss speed is, any help is appreciated :)

K, I have changed the voltage and AGP aperature, but I can't find out how to change the PCI-e buss speed. I also tried to test my comp out yesterday and it still froze after the changes. (BTW memtest proved that my memory was fine)

What about taking out your wireless card? Might be a driver issue with that. I know you probably need it to play online games, but you might have some single player games you can try without having the card installed to see if that's the problem.

K, I'll try that, I also want to add, when I have sound on and the system freezes I hear a buzzing noise from the speakers until I hit the reset button.

Actually, I had no idea about the ULI drivers, I'll try them first and if that gives no luck I'll take out the wireless card.

BTW, thanks for the patience and support :)

Keep in mind, after you install them, you might have to reinstall your video card's drivers.

Eh, I get an error message as I try to install the ULi drivers that it cant install uli_chipset, which I'm guessing my chipset isn't supported.

Too many folks with this board and wireless cards experience stability issues. As the poster said above: remove it and see what happens. Also, ULi drivers are the wrong ones for this board. Use the latest Via 4-in-1 chipset drivers.

I took out my wireless card and I played Tomb Raider: Legend for 3 hours and no freezing.
So I'm going to guess that the wireless card was the culprit. Now do i need to get another wireless card or do i need to update the drivers on them so that I can get internet on that specific computer. ( I'm typing from my other computer)

Update the drivers and see if that helps. If they have a Microsoft approved WHQL or whatever it is, use that one.

Thanks for the help, I believe it is running properly. Thanks for the tips and links and if I need any help I'll know where to look. Thank you all :D

Hey, I've been playing single player games like a dream, no issues here, but I'd like to have internet and play WoW on this comp. I have updated the drivers for the wireless card(no luck there) and the chipset drivers I upgraded to the latest VIA hyperion drivers(still no luck). I'm going to try a 100ft ethernet cable today to see if that is a fix. Is the brand of the card the problem? I have a SMC SMCWPCI-G card. On Newegg a guy had the same problems that I did, but he had a different card, he updated the drivers and it fixed it. So any feedback is appreciated :)

It might be the chipset the wireless card uses. There are only a few chipsets that most use.

Yes, I have switched through all the PCI slots, still the issue. I'm guessing the chipset on the Card isnt supported by the motherboard and it locks up from that issue. Thanks for fast replies :)

There is a sticky somewhere in the forums about tweaks to make games run better on dual core processors. cant remember exaclty where. Def worth a look at it.

Its under amd processors forum but its not all about amd, worth a read.

I've had SO many systems come into my work because of wireless card conflicts.

Honestly, last year I must have serviced at least 25. Wireless cards suck these days...

Actually, I went to Best Buy today and got a USB wireless antenna, Internet access and no lockups. Thanks for all the help guys :)

Back