Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon

I kinda put down Starfield for now, so I've been playing this instead. Blasting through the missions with dual burst rifles and dual Songbirds, pretty much destroys most of what they throw at me.

Though...

The "Destroy the Redguns" mission kicked my ass over and over. I eventually looked online and found a laser pistol/laser lance build that ended up working after a few tries.

Also, were people for real complaining about the ice worm mission? That maybe took me like 3 or 4 tries, mainly trying to figure out its movement patterns. Mostly you are just boosting around the whole time. What a badass mission, though.

People complained about the introductory mission, of course they complained about the ice worm one, too, lol.

Ice worm mission is one of the easiest missions though. The ice worm is essentially a QTE prompt. If it jumps up and you are roughly aligned you press the fire button and it gets disabled. Then you just spam all the shoot buttons. It doesn't even fight back much. I played this on normal difficultly, maybe it is harder on higher difficulties.

Ice worm mission is one of the easiest missions though. The ice worm is essentially a QTE prompt. If it jumps up and you are roughly aligned you press the fire button and it gets disabled. Then you just spam all the shoot buttons. It doesn't even fight back much. I played this on normal difficultly, maybe it is harder on higher difficulties.
Not sure why you're explaining it to me, haha, but yes, you're right.

But you cannot make games dumb enough. My time with World of Warships showed how ill-prepared Wargaming was for just how the most basic gameplay concepts were simply over the head of a shockingly large portion of players. Given the age of any given player is over 40, that's even more pathetic

But you cannot make games dumb enough. My time with World of Warships showed how ill-prepared Wargaming was for just how the most basic gameplay concepts were simply over the head of a shockingly large portion of players. Given the age of any given player is over 40, that's even more pathetic

There were some difficult missions, particularly some of the bosses I just barely scraped by and had to change builds. But I would be really amazed if someone found the ice worm to be one of the harder missions.

There were some difficult missions, particularly some of the bosses I just barely scraped by and had to change builds. But I would be really amazed if someone found the ice worm to be one of the harder missions.
Sea Spider took more tries than all the rest combined for me but I didn't have cash nor parts on that first encounter for what I wanted to run.

Yep. Here's a quote of mine from 2019...

"
One playtest I saw a focus group testing of a new action game. You began in a room and had to walk out to the main hall. However there was no mission objective saying to open the door.

Of the teens testing, none figured out to walk up to the door and try opening it. After five minutes each, they were baffled and told what to do. The next iteration of beta had a notice in your quest tracker saying "open the door" and the teens didn't fail.

This was several years ago, so I am sure the seeds were planted at most companies that gamers needed handholding more than past games. The tests bore out the truth: they were right.
"

More recently I saw a cuphead reviewer failing to jump over a pillar in the tutorial. He would jump, then once he began falling, use his dash, rather than hitting dash at the peak of his jump. This continued for 3 minutes until his review was over and he didn't get it by then...

"
One playtest I saw a focus group testing of a new action game. You began in a room and had to walk out to the main hall. However there was no mission objective saying to open the door.

Of the teens testing, none figured out to walk up to the door and try opening it. After five minutes each, they were baffled and told what to do. The next iteration of beta had a notice in your quest tracker saying "open the door" and the teens didn't fail.

This was several years ago, so I am sure the seeds were planted at most companies that gamers needed handholding more than past games. The tests bore out the truth: they were right.
"

More recently I saw a cuphead reviewer failing to jump over a pillar in the tutorial. He would jump, then once he began falling, use his dash, rather than hitting dash at the peak of his jump. This continued for 3 minutes until his review was over and he didn't get it by then...
Yep, this is why games have been getting dumbed down more and more, year after year for the past decade. The collective intuition of gamers is dropping precipitously.

This game is so good, I am like 1/3 the way through NG++ now. Though for the most part I am steamrolling the content still, but once in awhile they throw in a challenge. Usually that means I have to change up my build in some way, but I end up going back to my beloved dual Ransetsu RFs.

They're doing a really good job at buffing parts across the board with these updates. I haven't played much since the initial 70 hours but it's great seeing lesser used items become much more viable and makes me wish they could have done this with AC1 through Last Raven.

"

"

Shawn Elliott, formerly of CGW magazine, said that a developer told him of this incident in which he, the developer, sat down and watched, on video, a play tester playing his game. The play tester started the mission inside a tank, which itself was inside a garage. Immediately the play tester, instead of just driving the tank out of the garage, swung the turret 180 degrees, and then proceeded to ram the tank into the rear wall of the garage. The play tester then spent 15 minutes going nowhere, finally throwing the controller onto the floor out of frustration.

I need to get back to this. I was having a pretty easy time with it up until the ambush where you fight the laser whip mech in the pit with a handful of sniper mechs all along the perimeter. Now that I haven't played for a good while I'll probably never be able to beat it unless I start over.

I need to get back to this. I was having a pretty easy time with it up until the ambush where you fight the laser whip mech in the pit with a handful of sniper mechs all along the perimeter. Now that I haven't played for a good while I'll probably never be able to beat it unless I start over.
Yeah that fight really kicked my rear for a while too - had to get a longer range fire control system to even target the snipers

I finished NG++, all three endings. Great game. I will probably go back and get all the combat logs and hidden weapons, doubt I will go for full S-ranking, though.

I finished NG++, all three endings. Great game. I will probably go back and get all the combat logs and hidden weapons, doubt I will go for full S-ranking, though.

you made it this far...go for the S-ranking :D

People are doing "floor is lava" S rank runs trying to clear the whole game without landing during missions. Pretty sure someone has beat the game with the Jailbreak AC, too, lol. People are nuts but this is a big part of the franchise's longevity

Back