ARMA III has been released

Volume 2. Might have to take a day off Black Desert Online to hangout with the fellas.

I had to laugh at the video at various parts where they say stable platform. I have over 3000 hours in this game and believe me, it's NOT stable. Many, many, many bugs that have been around for months/years that go totally ignored.

I do like the 64bit on this aging engine though but like many in the Arma community, the bugs are just tiring.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
ARMA needs to be completely scrapped and rebuilt on a new engine. All these years and it's still a buggy / laggy / horribly optimized mess.

Ya but its still fun as hell if you play with a group and thats what its designed for.

I haven't played in awhile (the time commitment for some of these user-created MP missions is too great), but I did pop into the game for a bit to try out the 64-bit stuff and new patches. The game seems like it stutters really badly now for me...framerate is good but it's like it stutters terribly when streaming terrain now. Never had that issue previously and I'm using the same install as I did before. Might try a full reinstall to see if maybe a config is causing problems, but the stutter/hitching is really noticeable.

Also, DLC bundle 2 is already up - includes everything they talked about in the video AFAIK:

Already pre-ordered...I will always throw money at Bohemia, IMO their community support and feedback is fantastic compared to most other developers.

I see they're still peddling more fictional crap. Thankfully the RHS mod is still being developed, because this game was DoA for me until that started shaping up. Not only that, but the quality is much higher. Rather than releasing more paid micro DLCs, I'd rather have them fix a lot of the odd shortcomings. Please, two reload animations for weapons. It is 2017 already! A squad interface that doesn't suck. I'd pay for small DLCs if they fixed things like that.

I see they're still peddling more fictional crap. Thankfully the RHS mod is still being developed, because this game was DoA for me until that started shaping up. Not only that, but the quality is much higher. Rather than releasing more paid micro DLCs, I'd rather have them fix a lot of the odd shortcomings. Please, two reload animations for weapons. It is 2017 already! A squad interface that doesn't suck. I'd pay for small DLCs if they fixed things like that.

I guess technically most of the stuff is "fictional" but it's all based on either existing or prototype designs, so it's not far-future like say, the last two CoD games. So I guess I don't get that complaint, other than wanting exact replicas of current weapons which, as you stated, packs like RHS and CUPS are bringing into the fold. One of the greatest things about ArmA and BIS is the dedication to the modding community and making modding easy. Can't say that for the majority of developers out there these days.

As for the squad interface - I agree, maybe something like a radial menu would be better? It's tough because there are a lot of commands, and many are contextual, so making the interface easier to use may be a challenge. I would love to see improvements to the action menu in general as well...I think there are some mods (ShackTac maybe?) that improve the UI quite a bit.

Another great thing about ArmA is that you don't have to pay for mechanical updates - the DLCs are content only. And even then, there is no splitting of the MP community because you can play missions with DLC content, I think you just aren't able to use the new items, or you get to use them for a limited time? I don't recall exactly how it works (since I've owned all the DLC from day one) but it's more than fair and keeps the community cohesive.

I guess technically most of the stuff is "fictional" but it's all based on either existing or prototype designs, so it's not far-future like say, the last two CoD games. So I guess I don't get that complaint, other than wanting exact replicas of current weapons which, as you stated, packs like RHS and CUPS are bringing into the fold. One of the greatest things about ArmA and BIS is the dedication to the modding community and making modding easy. Can't say that for the majority of developers out there these days.

As for the squad interface - I agree, maybe something like a radial menu would be better? It's tough because there are a lot of commands, and many are contextual, so making the interface easier to use may be a challenge. I would love to see improvements to the action menu in general as well...I think there are some mods (ShackTac maybe?) that improve the UI quite a bit.

Another great thing about ArmA is that you don't have to pay for mechanical updates - the DLCs are content only. And even then, there is no splitting of the MP community because you can play missions with DLC content, I think you just aren't able to use the new items, or you get to use them for a limited time? I don't recall exactly how it works (since I've owned all the DLC from day one) but it's more than fair and keeps the community cohesive.

I like mods, but if it wasn't for the mods I wouldn't have bought ArmA 3. I have zero interest in kit bashes and CAD prototypes. If ArmA 4 is the same trend I won't buy until it is bargain bin prices. Mods are to enhance, not fix shortcomings of the game itself. Only so much the mods can do as well due to the old engine. Only interesting DLC to me is the map, but IMO it is over priced and comes with more crap content/a co-op campaign I don't want.

I like mods, but if it wasn't for the mods I wouldn't have bought ArmA 3. I have zero interest in kit bashes and CAD prototypes. If ArmA 4 is the same trend I won't buy until it is bargain bin prices. Mods are to enhance, not fix shortcomings of the game itself. Only so much the mods can do as well due to the old engine. Only interesting DLC to me is the map, but IMO it is over priced and comes with more crap content/a co-op campaign I don't want.

Seems like a matter of opinion, not really shortcomings of the game at all. It was never designed to be current-gen weapons and gear.

And the map DLC will be free.

Cagey you play on Asylum?? lol I'm on server 4 too, I'm a cop there (Lt.)
Whoa, hold up.

How long have you guys been playing? I used to stream for Asylum (cop) for about a year. Rolled around with my long time buds, Durga , Death, Speed and Trilligy.

Whoa, hold up.

How long have you guys been playing? I used to stream for Asylum (cop) for about a year. Rolled around with my long time buds, Durga , Death, Speed and Trilligy.

Durga is gone but triligy is still around as an admin while speed hardly ever shows up but does some contributor work. I've been on Asylum off and on for a few years.

I assume this Asylum server is a City Life type thing?

I tried City Life back in A2 and it kinda sucked, mainly due to power-tripping admins and cops that would run amok and arrest people for no reason.

It's the same genre, yes. When I was part of the force on Asylum, there was very little power flexing.

Seems like a matter of opinion, not really shortcomings of the game at all. It was never designed to be current-gen weapons and gear.

And the map DLC will be free.

Even the current DLC map (Toana, spelling)? Right now the mission editor defaults to it and not a map I own, with a nice "Purchase This" tag in blue. I get they want to sell DLC, but defaulting to the paid map each time you load up the game just feels a bit tacky even if it takes a second to select the right map.

Even the current DLC map (Toana, spelling)? Right now the mission editor defaults to it and not a map I own, with a nice "Purchase This" tag in blue. I get they want to sell DLC, but defaulting to the paid map each time you load up the game just feels a bit tacky even if it takes a second to select the right map.

No, the current DLC map (Tanoa) is part of Apex so, not free. But the one that is upcoming (Malden) is free.

I don't use the editor much so I haven't seen that behavior, but that kinda sucks if true. Certainly would not be the first game to try to push paid content, though.

Back