ARMA III has been released

Bought it and regretted it immediately after trying it out. As with every other Arma game i bought at release. You'd think i'd learn but alas no i didn't. The only thing i hope for is that the game has some good mods to come out at some point.

Wasn't this supposed to be released in march?

It was in beta for a long time and you could purchase that for 1/2 the price it is now. So yes, it was released long ago for sale, but officially came out of beta for it's worldwide release recently.

What are my chances of playing this on my HP Elitebook?

CORE i7-3540M 3GHz
16GB RAM
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
AMD Radeon HD 7570m

I'm thinking that video card is gonna be the culprit here.

More mods, fixing what BI couldn't. Seriously, they should just flip these developers some money and roll this type of thing into official patches. I have like 6 mods installed now just to fix what BI couldn't or wouldn't change for the better.

Better Effects: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?162988-Blastcore-A3
Modern UI/Interaction/Physics: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?161146-KEYS-No-action-menu
Modern Cockpit Interaction: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?162022-Advanced-Cockpit-Interaction

Bought it and regretted it immediately after trying it out. As with every other Arma game i bought at release. You'd think i'd learn but alas no i didn't. The only thing i hope for is that the game has some good mods to come out at some point.

Ha, I did the same thing about a month ago. It wasn't until I installed quite a few mods that it became enjoyable. I'm hoping a lot of these modders combine them into a package.

Last edited:
SO loving that Blastcore is coming to ArmA 3. The TMR modular package and some of the TPW mods are great, as well. I also highly recommend JSRS 2.0...still alpha but it sounds great, and JSRS for ArmA 2 is a must-have IMO.

SO loving that Blastcore is coming to ArmA 3. The TMR modular package and some of the TPW mods are great, as well. I also highly recommend JSRS 2.0...still alpha but it sounds great, and JSRS for ArmA 2 is a must-have IMO.

I run both those as well. Must haves.

LOL yea...the only one I didn't regret was the original Operation Flashpoint and Resistance from 2001, played the hell out of those...you would think that after 12 years they would've came up with something more refined instead of recycling the same ol' shittyness.

LOL yea...the only one I didn't regret was the original Operation Flashpoint and Resistance from 2001, played the hell out of those...you would think that after 12 years they would've came up with something more refined instead of recycling the same ol' shittyness.

I don't think they'd have so many problems if they scrapped it and built a modern engine. Sandbox engine's are a dime a dozen these days, many of which do just as much or more than the ARMA engine. Time to let it die.

Btw, there's a dev branch patch coming Monday [supposedly] that is supposed to fix the memory leak they introduced with the Altis map. For those just joining, Altis (the main map) was only in the beta for a week or two. So it's buggy as hell and will make your system cry. I went from Ultra/VeryHigh settings to struggling with medium.

I'll see how much I "regret" this purchase after a few months or so. I only paid $32 for it (whatever it was in Alpha) and I've had some good times with it. The only things I'm a bit disappointed in are the performance in general and the amount of copy-and-paste content, which leads to an overall lack of unique content. Given time, it could reach the level that ArmA 2 did, albeit that took like 4 years for ArmA 2...

I agree that part of the problem is the engine. They really need to get with the modern, multi-threaded, multi-core, 64-bit world. The engine is starting to show its age with performance issues and restrictions. I do admit that the graphics are impressive, though.

I don't think they'd have so many problems if they scrapped it and built a modern engine. Sandbox engine's are a dime a dozen these days, many of which do just as much or more than the ARMA engine. Time to let it die.

Btw, there's a dev branch patch coming Monday [supposedly] that is supposed to fix the memory leak they introduced with the Altis map. For those just joining, Altis (the main map) was only in the beta for a week or two. So it's buggy as hell and will make your system cry. I went from Ultra/VeryHigh settings to struggling with medium.

Good to know. I was facing issues with slowdown while playing on the new island. My GPU utilization was like 50-60%.

I bought this back in alpha when it was like $30, and I just can't get into it. I completely regret it, and wish I could get a refund. I knew it would be the same as Arma 2 which I hated, and don't know what I was thinking. I'm not trying to hate on the game, but it honestly isn't my cup of tea at all.

Some interesting reading here about memory and performance...sounds like soon they will update the TBB which should allow for more memory utilization:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthre...tion-gt-2GB)&p=2500280&viewfull=1#post2500280

Still, they really need to work on multi-threading and full CPU utilization.

Also, Dwarden seems to think that enabling a swap file will improve performance in ArmA 3. For me, I've always had better luck disabling it for ArmA 2 performance, but maybe I'll try it on again.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthre...ease-content&p=2503750&viewfull=1#post2503750

The controls on this game are so frustrating....It takes away from actually enjoying it. Why is it so complicated?

It's a lot more intuitive than ArmA 2, I have to give them that. Still, you are playing a battlefield simulator, not Call of Duty or Battlefield 3...there are a lot more controls.

Yeah, I agree that muti-threading definitely needs improvement. I'd imagine it would be a huge performance boost for many if they could properly utilize 4 cores. At the moment on my system, it seem to utilize a little over 2 cores.

The controls on this game are so frustrating....It takes away from actually enjoying it. Why is it so complicated?

Here's my experience with video game interfaces:

The more a game lets you do, the more complicated it becomes. So if you want people to be able to fly helicopters, drive vehicles, and fight realistically, then you're going to add a lot of functions that simpler FPS games don't have. Since it's kind of a military simulator, it provides you with more options and detail, but that also breeds more complexity in the UI, creating, such as through hotkeys.

I think ARMA 3 is definitely more intuitive than Arma 2, but it's one of those games where you need to sit down and look at the keyboard mapping a bit. This used to be easier when you got a foldout piece of paper that you could set next to your desk. I often found myself looking up the hotkeys whenever I got lost. A hotkey to the list of hotkeys would help. Like press H and it'll pull up the keybinds for you. That'd make it a lot faster to learn the details.

I think adding additional interfaces such as joysticks and footpedals could fix this somewhat, that'd just make the game even more inaccessible so I can see why it's not the default.

:)

You can generally get by pretty comfortably knowing only a handful of keys. There are a lot of bindings, but you only need to know a small subset of them to be relatively proficient.

And the community is usually very helpful to beginners. just ask and people will help you out.

Interesting note, the retail boxed version of ArmA 3 actually comes with a keybind sheet like OFP did back in the day.

That Blastcore mod is a must have for me. I still miss the days of JTD's fire and smoke.

for those who got the supporter package, when do we get the extras like the map and such?

I love this game but I am amazed at how laggy multiplayer still is. Terrible fps compared to single player, even when not looking at any busy scenes.

If they optimize this I'll find it a lot more enjoyable.

Supposedly there are some post-code-lock dev build fixes that are coming in the next week or so, which helped a bit with optimization. We'll see how much, though...I don't recall how well it ran on the pre-release dev build.

been playing altis life which will be loads of fun once its finished. if you play it with a few friends and make your own fun it can be awesome.

Performance optimization has really been their Achilles's Heel for as long as I can remember. They were well aware of the problems in ArmA 2 and basically said it was too complicated and time-consuming to solve. Okay, fine...for ArmA 2. There should be no excuse for ArmA 3, but it's starting to sound like they are using the same old excuses again...too much work, needs an engine re-write, etc. Well, then a lot more of your time should have been spent re-writing the engine. It's like they refuse to acknowledge that multi-core, multi-threaded titles are the future.

the game will be optimized as its life cycle continues, this is pretty standard fare for the series. I know they have said they hit full release but tbh none of the games in the arma series have ever truly been ready at their release points. Arma 2, arma and ofp were all pretty horrid on release day but each one of those games improved dramatically over their life spans. in six months people will be bitching about something else forgetting that Bohemia actually supports their products better than any other company out there that isnt taking in a monthly subscription fee.

the game will be optimized as its life cycle continues, this is pretty standard fare for the series. I know they have said they hit full release but tbh none of the games in the arma series have ever truly been ready at their release points. Arma 2, arma and ofp were all pretty horrid on release day but each one of those games improved dramatically over their life spans. in six months people will be bitching about something else forgetting that Bohemia actually supports their products better than any other company out there that isnt taking in a monthly subscription fee.

Yeah, agreed. Though I had hoped that the purpose of the early access Alpha was to try and get community feedback and optimize for various setups BEFORE release, to avoid having the issues that the ArmA games have had in the past. Sadly, this was not the case at all and I think that disappointed a lot of people, myself included.

That said, the latest development builds have been improving performance slowly, so I think eventually it will get to a reasonable level. The biggest concern right now is lack of content.

been having a lot of fun on wasteland but the last 2-3 days my game has been freezing every 45 minutes, having to control/alt/delete. i've heard about others having the same problems. it's god damn annoying. i just got revenge in a cove on this group of peeps that killed me. i RPG'd their hunter, one died and BAM, freeze.

FUCK. any one else having problems? i haven't changed a thing since i built this rig and i haven't had this problem up until this weekend along with others.

Are you running the dev branch? They just came out with the 1.02 patch on the default branch as well so maybe that had something to do with it.

apparently RPG's certain cars will freez every time. i've played for about 4-5 hours today total and had probably 10 or so hard freezes requiring me to alt/ctrl/del every time.

I have to Ctrl Alt Del out at completely random times. I think on 2 occasions it's been flying a little bird in wasteland :( but other times I'll play for hours with no problems at all

What's real shitty is Dead Nation works fine and then when I die I get booted from the server. And I never got Zoombies to work...well I never tried hard to get it to work

yeah, i love the game, played 10 hours this weekend. only a matter of time before they either fix it or i move on.

and maverickk96, i realize there's a browser in-game, however, it's horrible. it doesn't save favorites at all, and is pretty linear in general. i was asking about other browsers, if any at all, existed.

I have to Ctrl Alt Del out at completely random times. I think on 2 occasions it's been flying a little bird in wasteland :( but other times I'll play for hours with no problems at all

What's real shitty is Dead Nation works fine and then when I die I get booted from the server. And I never got Zoombies to work...well I never tried hard to get it to work

this latest patch has some mad stability issues. I have crashed loads of times since it came out.

Back