• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ARMA III has been released

yeah, i love the game, played 10 hours this weekend. only a matter of time before they either fix it or i move on.



Yeah. I've shelved it for the time being. Hopefully I'll get the urge to pick it up and it'll be somewhat fixed. I've heard theyve improved on some of it.
 
I've been trying to play it a bit with a group I play ArmA 2 / ACE with, but there just aren't enough good co-op missions for 10+ players yet. Plus we keep running into bugs and other issues that make it hard to enjoy at the moment.

Hopefully the next stable patch will get it to a more solid level (we use dev build right now because there is a massive amount of improvement versus the current stable branch).
 
Do you guys think the price will be slashed on steam during winter?

I wouldn't pay over about $15 for it, and that is pushing it. I bought it for $30 during the alpha, and of course completely regret it. There is nothing fun about it because everything is made to be such a chore, hell even getting in a server is usually a 10 minute process in itself. The community that I've played with for the most part are a bunch of armchair general basement Napoleans barking orders. Now mash all that in a bug ridden, unoptimized mess of a "game" and you have Arma 3.
 
I like sticking to the dev build you can usually avoid all of the wasteland/dayz/whatever"life" impatient as hell free for all guys. I'm kind of afraid these type of people are never going to subside in the community.
 
I wouldn't pay over about $15 for it, and that is pushing it. I bought it for $30 during the alpha, and of course completely regret it. There is nothing fun about it because everything is made to be such a chore, hell even getting in a server is usually a 10 minute process in itself. The community that I've played with for the most part are a bunch of armchair general basement Napoleans barking orders. Now mash all that in a bug ridden, unoptimized mess of a "game" and you have Arma 3.

I would possibly regret $60, but I don't regret paying $32 or whatever Alpha was at all. The thing about ArmA is that the longer the game is out, the more value it gains due to updates, mods, and free content from BIS.

Honestly it seems like you unfortunately found a group that is hardcore into milsim and likes doing that rank and file BS. The vast majority of the community is not like that.
 
i like the huge maps etc, but this game has horrible performance, even on a good hardware it runs pretty bad, fps often drop below 30, this makes multiplayer pretty much unplayable
 
the game runs like butter on my system(2600k @ 3.8/6gb ram/ 670gtx. hopefully have time to play it this week. it has its share of bugs but honestly going solo on a wasteland server trying to kill whoever i see at heli wrecks/capture base missions/etc is a blast. it would be a bigger joy if i had a buddy or two to group with and attack people/groups/missions.

the wasteland servers i play on(WS.ARMA in browser, there are several) all have vehicles at every spawn with weapons. i usually grab the fastest vehicle around once i spawn then immediately look for people to fuck up.
 
Like butter? Good one, why don't you make a 15min fraps run video somewhere in a big town and include your video settings
the game runs like butter on my system(2600k @ 3.8/6gb ram/ 670gtx. hopefully have time to play it this week. it has its share of bugs but honestly going solo on a wasteland server trying to kill whoever i see at heli wrecks/capture base missions/etc is a blast. it would be a bigger joy if i had a buddy or two to group with and attack people/groups/missions.

the wasteland servers i play on(WS.ARMA in browser, there are several) all have vehicles at every spawn with weapons. i usually grab the fastest vehicle around once i spawn then immediately look for people to fuck up.
 
Yeah, I definitely get more than playable framerates 90% of the time, but to say the game runs "like butter" would be a huge falsehood.
 
Set view distance to 1,000.
Will run like butter and viewdistance is still 2-3 times further than most FPS's.

I realize part of the draw of this game is the vast landscape and 1,000 view takes away some of the vehicle aspect of the game. But if performance is your problem, cut view distance, then it will be comparable in performance to "other games".
 
Set view distance to 1,000.
Will run like butter and viewdistance is still 2-3 times further than most FPS's.

I realize part of the draw of this game is the vast landscape and 1,000 view takes away some of the vehicle aspect of the game. But if performance is your problem, cut view distance, then it will be comparable in performance to "other games".

Can confirm, 1500 for me though and I hover around 75 FPS.
 
Like butter? Good one, why don't you make a 15min fraps run video somewhere in a big town and include your video settings

it's pretty god damn smooth for me.

i'm not going out of my way to convince people on the internet i'm very happy with how the game has ran for me so far, but i'll see what i can do.
 
I like sticking to the dev build you can usually avoid all of the wasteland/dayz/whatever"life" impatient as hell free for all guys. I'm kind of afraid these type of people are never going to subside in the community.
I assume many will defect [strike=1]when[/s] if DayZ standalone is released.
 
1000-1500 VD is just painful in this game to me, after being used to 3500-4000 in ArmA 2...but yeah, it is the largest performance hit by far. I keep mine around 3000-3500 in A3 and for the most part I get okay performance...sometimes some nasty drops below 20 FPS but it's playable most of the time.
 
In my case, will still have to stick with lowered settings as I'm using a GT 630 atm..lol
 
it's pretty god damn smooth for me.

i'm not going out of my way to convince people on the internet i'm very happy with how the game has ran for me so far, but i'll see what i can do.

if you gonna say something stupid like this make sure you can back it up
 
Wish I never bought this game... 30-60% gpu usage, 40-70%CPU getting 20-30FPS WTF... Pathetic after nearly a year. I'll be sure to miss the next ARMA.
 
When did you buy it? The issues with performance and utilization are well-known.

I still get a lot of enjoyment out of the game, despite its flaws.
 
What do you have your view radius set to? I only raise mine if I plan to fly a plane. Otherwise it should be 5k at most. The setting for view radius seems to make the largest impact on FPS.
 
Try disabling SSAO and turning some of the things like Object Detail and Terrain Detail down a notch. Those all have a big impact on framerate with a barely noticeable effect on visual quality (especially SSAO, which for some reason is a huge FPS hog that I can literally see no visual difference from enabling).

For View Distance I recommend keeping it at 3500 or below. Object VD should probably be something like 2500 or below. I bet having your Object VD that high is part of what's killing your framerate.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your conclusion about low utilization, as I said it's a well-known problem that's been around really since ArmA 2. They definitely need to try to fix it, but if you want to enjoy the game in the meantime, give those tweaks a shot.
 
Try disabling SSAO and turning some of the things like Object Detail and Terrain Detail down a notch. Those all have a big impact on framerate with a barely noticeable effect on visual quality (especially SSAO, which for some reason is a huge FPS hog that I can literally see no visual difference from enabling).

For View Distance I recommend keeping it at 3500 or below. Object VD should probably be something like 2500 or below. I bet having your Object VD that high is part of what's killing your framerate.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your conclusion about low utilization, as I said it's a well-known problem that's been around really since ArmA 2. They definitely need to try to fix it, but if you want to enjoy the game in the meantime, give those tweaks a shot.

I'll give that a shot.
 
I'll give that a shot.

also there is some stuff that you can put in the the arma 3 target line/ steam launch properties. that gives you a significant fps bump. i tried it and my fps went up from 25-35 to 45-60.
 
altis life is good fun bit it doesn't hold a candle to zargabad life. i think the map is just a bit to big.
 
also there is some stuff that you can put in the the arma 3 target line/ steam launch properties. that gives you a significant fps bump. i tried it and my fps went up from 25-35 to 45-60.

You can do -nologs, and some people do -maxmem=2047 but I doubt that actually does anything significant. Be interested to know what exactly you're using.
 
You can do -nologs, and some people do -maxmem=2047 but I doubt that actually does anything significant. Be interested to know what exactly you're using.


here you go

-cpuCount=4 -exThreads=8 -high -maxMem=6144 -noPause -noSplash -world=empty

i7 has HT (I think) so i set it to 8 threads, though I tried it on 4 and 8 and it didnt make a noticeable difference. I only have 8g of ram so I set it to 6144

i am using a R9 290 and have all the settings maxed, except the view distance I think I have that set somewhere around 5 or 6k. the only time I get any lag is when there is loads of ai around. I can usualy stay above 40fps with around 100 ai in the general area. (general area being 1.5k or less). did one mission where there there was 200+ ai within 1k and my fps tanked to 15. and another mission where a scripting error made 300 or so ai spawn in 1 spot. My fps dropped to between 5-10.
 
Last edited:
Not sure which of those is having an effect, since (and this has been confirmed by a BIS developer):

1) -high is not a real command
2) 7 is the highest value for exThreads
3) 2047 is the highest value for maxMem
 
Try disabling SSAO and turning some of the things like Object Detail and Terrain Detail down a notch. Those all have a big impact on framerate with a barely noticeable effect on visual quality (especially SSAO, which for some reason is a huge FPS hog that I can literally see no visual difference from enabling).

For View Distance I recommend keeping it at 3500 or below. Object VD should probably be something like 2500 or below. I bet having your Object VD that high is part of what's killing your framerate.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your conclusion about low utilization, as I said it's a well-known problem that's been around really since ArmA 2. They definitely need to try to fix it, but if you want to enjoy the game in the meantime, give those tweaks a shot.

What frame are you getting? I have turned View Distance to 1800 and still get low frame rates (30s) in campaign missions. My PC is roughly similar to yours, 4670k @ 4GHZ, GTX670 PE/OC, DDR3 8GB, Crucial M500 SSD. Loading times/saving times in larger campaign missions can be long to...
 
Not sure which of those is having an effect, since (and this has been confirmed by a BIS developer):

1) -high is not a real command
2) 7 is the highest value for exThreads
3) 2047 is the highest value for maxMem


lol well it gives me a 20+ fps boost so im not complaining :p

did it do any thing for you?
 
I have never bought Arma 3, but unfortunately, even if you had/have the most powerful hardware available, the Arma series has always been one in which you turn down all graphics settings to the minimum if you want 60+ (or as high as possible below that) FPS with the view distance at maximum.

Does not excuse Bohemia though. It is still outrageous (as it has and continues to be for so many other new games as well) that Arma 3 is just an upgraded Arma 2 engine that still supports neither true 64-bit or true multi-threading, seven years after both entered the mainstream market.
 
[H] didn't even mention the 3D resolution parameter in arma 3 IQ Article ...
it's sad because it is the most usefull setting in the whole game. it's basically ordered grid supersampling but with texture oversampling , and better 3D mesh too .
i want to know wich card can give me good framerate with 200% 3D resolution, and [H] failed to show me that .

player should prefer HDAO over SSAO. because it makes the framerate drop too much , and the quality is similar.
 
Yeah, I think HDAO even looks better than SSAO and it runs WAY better. Definitely use it.

200% 3D resolution never ran well enough for me to consider using it. Running some form of AA, even MSAA seems to run better.
 
of course ! it's a supersampling . everything is filtered. grass, bush tree . and texture are far better too.
kind of indirect anisotropy.

i'm actually thinking about my new GPU choice. i want to know wich solution can give me that. in a nutshell, i need 3 or 4 time the horsepower of my 7850OC . (framerate fall under 17fps with my present GPU, with the settings i plan to use, image absolutly crystal clear)

my 7850 give me 33Gpixel/S. i need 3 time that. at least...
 
ArmA is CPU-bound, anyway, so an uber GPU isn't going to net you a whole lot when it comes down to it.
 
of course it will. cpu bound or not, you crank up GPU filtering !
no pixel shimmering thanks to supersampling, pure 16x anisotropy filter , and 30fps . it's enough for me.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top