ARMA II - Dayz Mod

I don't see it as getting pk'd over and over again for no reason. Its called survival. The good people don't play the game that way anyways. I had to risk my gear last night to pick up a new player off the coast. Almost died twice from the new players before I got him out of there and started showing him the ropes.

I don't know why I have to keep repeating myself, but there's a significant difference between killing a player for their gear (survival) and killing someone just for the hell of it (griefing asshole).

Yeah, it's being "outsmarted" when you spawn and immediately get shot in the back by some asshole. :rolleyes:

Seriously, why are you trying to push this? Do you honestly think it's fun when you get PKed for no reason over and over?j

Basically, the way you'd have it, everyone would just shoot first and it would turn into a massive deathmatch. What a fun game... :rolleyes:

People kill each other that's the game deal with it. if you don't want to get pked hide and sneak and its not like its hard the map is huge and the coast is massive.

Last edited:
I've been following this thread and surfing around the net on this mod and it looks very fun...an interesting concept for sure. Kind of like Hunger Games with zombies. With CO currently on sale at Amazon is it worth buying just for this mod? Is the SP any good? It sounds like the game can be a bit buggy and whatnot.

Also with ARMA III on the way later this year do you think this mod will get any attention if they are going to be working on porting it to ARMA III?

People kill each other that's the game deal with it. if you don't want to get pked hide and sneak and its not like its hard the map is huge and the coast is massive.

Not going to bother arguing with you anymore, you're clearly just trolling.

]With CO currently on sale at Amazon is it worth buying just for this mod? Is the SP any good? It sounds like the game can be a bit buggy and whatnot.

Also with ARMA III on the way later this year do you think this mod will get any attention if they are going to be working on porting it to ARMA III?

First, IMO yes, the game is extremely worth it for $15 or whatever it is. I paid full price and I've gotten my money's worth a hundred times over. The vanilla SP is alright, but the game is best in co-op multiplayer, which you can do with all the SP missions, including the campaign. There is an easy-to-use mission editor as well, so there is really endless possibility, and a TON of custom missions/campaigns from other players.

However, I will say the vanilla game is really nothing like this mod. It is a tactical "milsim".

Regarding ArmA III, my guess is if this mod is still popular at that point, it will get ported.

some of the best MP experiences I have ever had have been with OPFOR, ARMA, ARMA 2

if you get with people that squad up, communicate with each other, other squads, and watch a battle unfold with everyone doing what they should according to plan, it is amazing.

There was a post over in the Steam forums that I think is relevant:

There is a lot of interest in the mod from folks new to Arma and that's a good thing, by the same token most of these new folks don't have the slightest understanding of the game mechanic's and I feel that many of them will loose interest once they find out how complex Arma is (in terms of non-PvP and setting up servers and such). Which is a pity.

From what I hear its already been ported to arma 3 since the guy making the mod works for bohemia interactive. I think there was an article about it on pc gamer

From what I hear its already been ported to arma 3 since the guy making the mod works for bohemia interactive. I think there was an article about it on pc gamer

That was my impression as well. That's why I'm wondering if it would be worth passing up ARMA II and waiting for ARMA III since ARMA III might be a little more polished/less glitchy...and wondering if the ARMA III port will take attention away from the ARMA II DayZ mod development.

Well, ArmA 3 is looking to come out early 2013 (used to be this summer but they pushed it back), but a community alpha is coming out sometime after E3 this year, so presumably we will see development in conjunction with that.

TBH, at this point he may as well focus more on ArmA 3.

I can't play this mod because of Arma II's terrible mouse control with negative mouse acceleration. This makes it so the faster you move the mouse the slower the camera moves, doing a quick mouse flick ends up moving it slower then if you moved it super slow, very disappointing. I hope Arma 3 gets their mouse input correct.

I can't play this mod because of Arma II's terrible mouse control with negative mouse acceleration. This makes it so the faster you move the mouse the slower the camera moves, doing a quick mouse flick ends up moving it slower then if you moved it super slow, very disappointing. I hope Arma 3 gets their mouse input correct.

Go into options and move the "Mouse Smoothing" slider or whatever it is to zero. Also make sure you turn off VSync in-game. Very quick mouse response.

Another "pro-tip" is to turn Head Bobbing down to low or zero. Personally I dislike it, even though it's "more realistic", it just makes me kinda nauseous, and having it off gives you an advantage when aiming/looking around on the go.

Go into options and move the "Mouse Smoothing" slider or whatever it is to zero. Also make sure you turn off VSync in-game. Very quick mouse response.

Another "pro-tip" is to turn Head Bobbing down to low or zero. Personally I dislike it, even though it's "more realistic", it just makes me kinda nauseous, and having it off gives you an advantage when aiming/looking around on the go.

Thanks, but ya I tried to play Arma II back in the day and I have tried all the tweaks. The vsync and smoothing fix most of the issues with the mouse control but it is impossible from what I know to get rid of the negative acceleration.

Thanks, but ya I tried to play Arma II back in the day and I have tried all the tweaks. The vsync and smoothing fix most of the issues with the mouse control but it is impossible from what I know to get rid of the negative acceleration.

I remember that being a problem with the demo when it was first released, but I thought it was finally fixed. I was pretty big into Arma2 with ACE mod last year and don't remember having the issue anymore.

Well, I don't know if you are experiencing this or something else, but if you are referring to the aim lag when you look up/down, that is an intentional feature which is meant to simulate weapon weight. Turning, though, should have no lag and it doesn't for me.

Turning has a slight amount of lag which is also meant to simulate that you can't just spin 180 like in COD, but he is correct that there is negative mouse acceleration still. The faster you move your mouse, the slower you aim or turn. I don't have as much of a problem, because I do run with a relatively high sensitivity. I think the people who may suffer more from this are the ones who run a lower sensitivity and have to move their mouse more to aim.

On another note, I'm also starting to get annoyed at the bandits / PKers myself. Running around in a group with RL friends isn't too bad because you can usually either hear or spot them first, or at the very least take them out quickly enough with minimal losses, but when you're by yourself and just trying to find supplies with nothing but your starting gear, it makes no sense that someone with a sniper rifle and a 20 slot ALICE pack filled to the brim with ammo & food will still shoot anything that moves, even other new survivors. And then they don't even touch your corpse because they don't need anything. Newbies that have nothing but the newb pistol don't pose any threat to you, and you certainly don't need their supplies when you're that decked out.

It's done purely to grief IMHO. Just today I had been killed and starting out new, and came across a tent that was pitched in a small town clearing very close to one of the spawn points, and I go up to investigate and some guy was setup in a building nearby just sniping newbs that came up to investigate. If you really want more of a challenge, you should probably just head north where you'll be much more likely to be alone with nobody to bother you or help you.

/rant.

Such is life in The Zone.

Doesn't solve it, unfortunately. The movement and player interaction in ARMA is just fundamentally shitty. Turning smoothing to zero instead introduces a jittery skipping movement in place of the washy swaying.

Turning has a slight amount of lag which is also meant to simulate that you can't just spin 180 like in COD, but he is correct that there is negative mouse acceleration still. The faster you move your mouse, the slower you aim or turn. I don't have as much of a problem, because I do run with a relatively high sensitivity. I think the people who may suffer more from this are the ones who run a lower sensitivity and have to move their mouse more to aim.

On another note, I'm also starting to get annoyed at the bandits / PKers myself. Running around in a group with RL friends isn't too bad because you can usually either hear or spot them first, or at the very least take them out quickly enough with minimal losses, but when you're by yourself and just trying to find supplies with nothing but your starting gear, it makes no sense that someone with a sniper rifle and a 20 slot ALICE pack filled to the brim with ammo & food will still shoot anything that moves, even other new survivors. And then they don't even touch your corpse because they don't need anything. Newbies that have nothing but the newb pistol don't pose any threat to you, and you certainly don't need their supplies when you're that decked out.

It's done purely to grief IMHO. Just today I had been killed and starting out new, and came across a tent that was pitched in a small town clearing very close to one of the spawn points, and I go up to investigate and some guy was setup in a building nearby just sniping newbs that came up to investigate. If you really want more of a challenge, you should probably just head north where you'll be much more likely to be alone with nobody to bother you or help you.

/rant.

Such is life in The Zone.

I had my first death in 3 days. I play mostly solo. Its more about the approach when not with friends. Don't expose yourself and take your time. Stalk your victims. When your alone you have no room for making friends. Deer stands are your friends. Grab a hunting knife and multiple canteens. With those two items you will never have to go into town unless your looting bodies. Killing people isn't griefing unless your doing it to the fresh spawns. If its obvious someone doesn't have anything I'll let the pass and they will never know i'm there. If they look like they have been to any kind of military base they are getting dropped. Never know who will have those rare night vision goggles.

http://www.dayzmod.info
http://www.dayzwiki.com

so is this mod the sole reason that ArmA2 has jumped up both the Steam and Amazon sales charts?

Well, ArmA 3 is looking to come out early 2013 (used to be this summer but they pushed it back), but a community alpha is coming out sometime after E3 this year, so presumably we will see development in conjunction with that.

TBH, at this point he may as well focus more on ArmA 3.

im sure he is focused on arma 3 but thats his daily 9-5 ob. he has worked on dayZ on his spare time

I had my first death in 3 days. I play mostly solo. Its more about the approach when not with friends. Don't expose yourself and take your time. Stalk your victims. When your alone you have no room for making friends. Deer stands are your friends. Grab a hunting knife and multiple canteens. With those two items you will never have to go into town unless your looting bodies. Killing people isn't griefing unless your doing it to the fresh spawns. If its obvious someone doesn't have anything I'll let the pass and they will never know i'm there. If they look like they have been to any kind of military base they are getting dropped. Never know who will have those rare night vision goggles.

http://www.dayzmod.info
http://www.dayzwiki.com

Yeah, I know to be careful when I'm alone. I have yet to find a single hunting knife myself TBH. Seems the basic utilities can be difficult to obtain.

I just wish there was an easier way to communicate in-game. Seems that the direct voice chat that should only be heard by nearby players is broken, at least that’s what I was told. I ran into a guy up north in a town that wasn't a bandit, but we both kinda startled each other and scuttled out of sight of each other at first. We were each in a different small building facing each other across a small parking area, so I asked him to ID himself in text chat a couple times while peeking out a couple times, and he never answered. I went out the back door and looked over and he had crawled out to my flank so I just took the shot. I don’t think he even had his primary ready at the time, but I wasn’t about to take chances with a guy that wasn’t going to talk. He rage-quit a moment later so I felt kind of bad, but I had no way of knowing if he was up to no good or not. At least he had more pistol ammo & food I was able to use. Unfortunately the only primary I had was a Lee Enfield I had just found, so of course that attracted half of the town’s zombies, but fortunately there was a large warehouse nearby I was able to hide in and take them out with ease.

Yeah, I know to be careful when I'm alone. I have yet to find a single hunting knife myself TBH. Seems the basic utilities can be difficult to obtain.
The utilities are actually not that rare. Grocery stores are great for a lot of stuff. Churches as well. Check this loot sheet out. http://picacid.com/arma2/loot_en.html It will help a lot with what spawns where. The spawn percentages seem incorrect to me. They have it at a 7% for a Winchester or Lee Enfield in barns. From what I have found those have a 75% chance to be found in a barn.

I just wish there was an easier way to communicate in-game. Seems that the direct voice chat that should only be heard by nearby players is broken, at least that’s what I was told. I ran into a guy up north in a town that wasn't a bandit, but we both kinda startled each other and scuttled out of sight of each other at first. We were each in a different small building facing each other across a small parking area, so I asked him to ID himself in text chat a couple times while peeking out a couple times, and he never answered. I went out the back door and looked over and he had crawled out to my flank so I just took the shot. I don’t think he even had his primary ready at the time, but I wasn’t about to take chances with a guy that wasn’t going to talk. He rage-quit a moment later so I felt kind of bad, but I had no way of knowing if he was up to no good or not. At least he had more pistol ammo & food I was able to use. Unfortunately the only primary I had was a Lee Enfield I had just found, so of course that attracted half of the town’s zombies, but fortunately there was a large warehouse nearby I was able to hide in and take them out with ease.

Direct chat is a problem with Arma2 not dayz. The arma2 devs are working with him on it and it considered a top priority. They are also having another meeting with BIS to decide the future of Dayz. There has been talks on porting it to Arma3, and also Iron Front. There is also a possibility of taking it somewhere completely independent. I would love to take the concept as it is now and move it to a MMO format. It makes the most sense when you look at what he is trying to accomplish. The world would have to be massive, and I would be very supportive of having 1-3 safe zone cities. No npcs, no classes. A auction house based purely on bartering items.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The utilities are actually not that rare. Grocery stores are great for a lot of stuff. Churches as well. Check this loot sheet out. http://picacid.com/arma2/loot_en.html It will help a lot with what spawns where. The spawn percentages seem incorrect to me. They have it at a 7% for a Winchester or Lee Enfield in barns. From what I have found those have a 75% chance to be found in a barn.

Yeah, I have noticed that the Winchester and ammo is incredibly common just about anywhere really.

Is there a particular area you prefer to hang out in, or do you roam around? I’ve been wanting to explore further north some more, especially since most bandits like to hang around the coastal region where the easy pickings are.

Had a bit of a strange session earlier in the day yesterday too. I was in a part of Cherno and found the one hospital, a church, and a grocery store, among a few other buildings. For some reason, each building that would normally have several supply spawns in it only had 1 item and it was always a smaller backpack. I think only one spot I found actually had some ammo and a nice ALICE pack. At first I thought that someone had looted them before me, but I know I’ve seen supply spots respawn literally 2 minutes after looting when passing right back through.

Has anyone ever thrown a piece of trash near another survivor just to draw the zombies towards him? :D

No, it's downloaded through Amazon's download service.

And if you have my luck you'll need to download multiple times, patiently wait for a random .gz file during installation to give a CRC error, then replace it with one of the extra downloaded files (assuming it's not corrupt as well), and start the installation process over again. Really never going to use Amazon's digital game service again, no matter their deal (and don't feel like going through refund process since I got a working grouping of files together).

Want to try this mod, just gonna take me a while as OA hasn't gotten installed yet (same CRC errors).

This is the only game to give me motion sickness, throw up and a 5 hour migraine. I don't know why but I can't even watch a YouTube video of this game

That stinks. I would recommend to turn off head-bob completely. I would also say that the default FOV can be a little narrow. You can double-tap the numpad minus key to lock your FOV a bit wider, and double-tap again to reset it.

I've also heard about a lot of the problems with the Amazon version of the download. Real shame because it's normally a decent service.

This is the only game to give me motion sickness, throw up and a 5 hour migraine. I don't know why but I can't even watch a YouTube video of this game

I used to have that with spyro the dragon on the first playstation :D oh memories.

Not with ARMA2 though, and love how ARMA3 is looking.

Pfft, mods are on their way out! Didn't a developer say that recently?

Who says modding can't add value to your product.

well, been trying all day and nothing but "waiting on server response" or "waiting on character blah blah blah"

garbage.

Is there a particular area you prefer to hang out in, or do you roam around? I’ve been wanting to explore further north some more, especially since most bandits like to hang around the coastal region where the easy pickings are.

I roam the north/north west up near the air field. I hunt at deer stands and grocery stores with a few patrol paths I take. I played a lot today. While playing today I heard some shots north of me. Sounded like 1 person and thats all I saw through my binocs. Snuck up to the barn and waited. Saw 4 people come out. Chunked 2 frag grenades........server crash. Was so angry they didn't log back in. I can't blame them for not logging back in. One day you won't ever see a soul, another day your fleeing for your life.

I roam the north/north west up near the air field. I hunt at deer stands and grocery stores with a few patrol paths I take. I played a lot today. While playing today I heard some shots north of me. Sounded like 1 person and thats all I saw through my binocs. Snuck up to the barn and waited. Saw 4 people come out. Chunked 2 frag grenades........server crash. Was so angry they didn't log back in. I can't blame them for not logging back in. One day you won't ever see a soul, another day your fleeing for your life.

That really stinks. Did the grenades actually explode, or were they alerted to your presence somehow else just before the crash?

The new changes are really interesting, although at first the body temperature was wacky before the 2nd hotfix. I'm wondering if at some point they will be adding a thermometer so you can actually tell what temperature it is. Was playing during the daylight and it was a bit odd how cold it was considering it's almost the end of May. I wonder just how far north Chernarus is supposed to be?

Try double tapping - on numpad, I get the same way if I don't.

That really stinks. Did the grenades actually explode, or were they alerted to your presence somehow else just before the crash?

The new changes are really interesting, although at first the body temperature was wacky before the 2nd hotfix. I'm wondering if at some point they will be adding a thermometer so you can actually tell what temperature it is. Was playing during the daylight and it was a bit odd how cold it was considering it's almost the end of May. I wonder just how far north Chernarus is supposed to be?

Oh they went off. My teammates flipped out and were scared because I didn't tell them what I was doing. It was glorious! Actually just stalked a bandit and killed him. Poor guy. He was hunting dear stands. It was a challenge sneaking up on him while keeping enough foliage and such between me and his line of sight.

Anyone want to get a regular group going?

You are more than welcome to run with our group. We have a group of four brits that play, and then myself +2. Gabbermatt.com is our ts3 server info. As i've posted before, once we can have a group large enough I plan on getting a server in order to have a stable base of operations.

Do you find deer stands out in the middle of the woods and such? The only ones I've run across so far are the ones near the army camps.

this ^

I hope arma III has beter 3d sound as well, miss openAL from arma1 so much

Back