ARMA II - Dayz Mod

Still got it! Someone tried to kill me. He was a hell of a player too, but he failed at flushing me out.

Bunch of my friends play this...Some love it, some hate it...I wont bother. The idea or scavenging for food for hours to setup a roadside ambush for someone who never comes....is lame.

Servers were spotty last night. Got on this morning at dusk and it was crazy having the sun come while I was online. Ran into a survivor named Horus who turned out to be a friendly. While trying to show him to an alice pack I decided to pick off a lone zombie instead of sneak around. BIG MISTAKE. Turned out to be 20-30 of them. I started sprinting away and shooting. Threw a few flares down while taking hits just so I could lead them away from Horus so he didn't pay for my mistake. Was AWESOME! Dying has never been so much fun yet frustrating.

Tip for new players: Get off the coast!

my only real complaint right now is that it never places me where I left off. I always end up back near the spawn area and often just in the ocean somewhere.

I'm also seeing a lot of players just hanging out by the spawn areas now and killing people who just spawn. twice now, someone stood and waited while I tried to swim ashore. I've started just disconnecting from the server now before people kill me if I Am in the spawn area and jjust trying to get started.

I've never even used the flares, I assume they draw zombies to them so you can get away?

So far I still just lone wolf it because I want to explore away from the major areas which is where my major complaint comes in. I've ended up in the upper NE corner of the map now a bunch of times and I have to quit and then I end up at the spawn...

my only real complaint right now is that it never places me where I left off. I always end up back near the spawn area and often just in the ocean somewhere.

When you respawn next tot he coast area that is usually due to them having to reset something with the database servers. They have gone from development stage of alpha to now dealing with capacity issues so people can actually play.

I'm also seeing a lot of players just hanging out by the spawn areas now and killing people who just spawn. twice now, someone stood and waited while I tried to swim ashore. I've started just disconnecting from the server now before people kill me if I Am in the spawn area and jjust trying to get started.

Get off the coast and head north asap. There will be more supplies and less people. Beware that people aren't very forgiving up north. They won't always pk you but they also won't tolerate any kind of actions that even hint your hostile. They don't want to lose their bigger back packs and such.

I've never even used the flares, I assume they draw zombies to them so you can get away?

Flares are nice to have at night. They can attract zombies, or players. placing them right will direct people or zombies to choke points or away from you. They are very very bright so the ambient light will help you even if your not close to it.

So far I still just lone wolf it because I want to explore away from the major areas which is where my major complaint comes in. I've ended up in the upper NE corner of the map now a bunch of times and I have to quit and then I end up at the spawn...

I'm going to get our Teamspeak3 server up in the next day or so and I'll will post the info for any HardOCP guys that want to team up.

I am down for some teaming up this weekend. I tried playing last night and when it finally let me in a server it was pitch dark and I couldn't figure out how to use my flare, I think I dropped it on the ground lol.

Get off the coast and head north asap. There will be more supplies and less people. Beware that people aren't very forgiving up north. They won't always pk you but they also won't tolerate any kind of actions that even hint your hostile. They don't want to lose their bigger back packs and such.

the main problem is people just lay in wait and I always end up spawning in the water which makes it even worse.

When the game gets to the point it can remember my last location it shouldn't be much of a problem, but for me yesterday I had to disconnect and reconnect to other servers a bunch of times until I found one I could actually get to shore without being followed by someone with a gun on shore.

One thing I recommend is to get online and download (maybe even print out) a map of Chernarus. That way you can find cities/landmarks when you're on the coast and head inland to relative safety. Even better if you can find a compass and an in-game map, but you can use the sun/moon generally for direction if nothing else. Basically, the map is more or less square, with coastlines in the south and east.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm interested. How big is the map? Do you play in rounds until all zombies are dead and then it restarts or does it never end. Does the stuff you pick up stay with you when you disconnect/reconnect?

I'm interested. How big is the map? Do you play in rounds until all zombies are dead and then it restarts or does it never end. Does the stuff you pick up stay with you when you disconnect/reconnect?

it is pretty huge, but I dont know the exact size. It would take a hour or more I think to run from corner to corner

when you disconnect it remembers what you had and where you were (though right not that doesn't work, you always start at the spawn area)

I think it just goes forever. zombies respawn

Map is 100 km^2. It's fucking huge.

The world is persistent, and zombies are continuously spawned. Never ends.

Yes, your items/location should stay between play sessions. However, like someone else mentioned, if there is a server wipe/update on the persistence server, you will probably end up somewhere else and possibly without your stuff.

Ahh, you're right. I don't know where I got the 100km^2 from. I guess that's the amount of forest alone! :D

Is there an easy way to talk to players over VOIP like the demo videos or is that just self organization on TS/Vent/Mumble with friends?

ArmA 2 has built-in VoIP but I think it depends on the server whether or not you can use it. It seems most of them don't allow it because you'd just get a flood of bullshit (ArmA 2 VoIP works by Global/Side/Group/etc, and in this mod everyone is automatically on the same side and there are no groups).

There is also a "direct" chat where you can only be heard in a radius around you. If anything I would say that is probably enabled more often than global.

You can't and shouldn't trust anyone using the ingame chat/voip. I've seen too many ppl get baited into ambushes using it. lol

Steamid:darkedge

This game looks great with lots of friends.

Most of my friends are obsessed with MMO's and COD :(

it is pretty huge, but I dont know the exact size. It would take a hour or more I think to run from corner to corner

when you disconnect it remembers what you had and where you were (though right not that doesn't work, you always start at the spawn area)

I think it just goes forever. zombies respawn

Much more than an hour to run across it. Hours.

Probably over an hour to drive across it.

Thinking of trying this myself, but aside from maps, RH weapon packs and ACE and the occasionally decent country mod most ArmA 2 mods seem to be underwhelming.

Much more than an hour to run across it. Hours.

Probably over an hour to drive across it.

Thinking of trying this myself, but aside from maps, RH weapon packs and ACE and the occasionally decent country mod most ArmA 2 mods seem to be underwhelming.

Well, it's still in alpha, and honestly none of my complaints revolve around bugs... It's been incredibly stable for me.

My OA folder is 50 gb, lol. That's not including the 8 gb of A2 assets, either. :cool:

Those mods you listed are great. There are a lot of good maps, too.

JSRS is a great sound mod, and I've seen some DayZ servers that allow it.

One more question: do I need the expansion pack to install this mod or can I just buy Arma 2?

You need at least OA. Supposedly you can use the free version of ArmA 2, but you'd be better off just buying CO. It's on sale for $15 on GMG right now.

Greenmangaming are cool guys. Seems where all other retailers have hiked the prices of CO/OA since this mod's caused a surge in popularity, they've brought the price down instead. Even better with my user credit I can get it for five notes.

I don't really understand the point of griefing new players like that. Realistically, just killing someone because they turned their back on you just makes you an asshole, and one that is that much more likely to get yourself killed since you're so determined to be stuck by yourself. Teamwork is survival.

You need at least OA. Supposedly you can use the free version of ArmA 2, but you'd be better off just buying CO. It's on sale for $15 on GMG right now.

ever since 1.5.7, I've needed to run it as CO or it won't work at all.

and I definitely gone from my spawn area in the center of the southern shore, to the airfield in the NE corner with in 90 minutes or so while stopping to check out certain buildings for stuff.

I've done it 2 or 3 times because thats where I keep wanting to be but I always have to start at the spawn and run back there.

So far the only time I've killed other human players is they either shot at me (most of time I just try to run away and avoid them) or I finally had to break down and kill someone because I was almost out of ammo,food,water and would not have survived long trying to search for more. I asked nicely for anything but...times were tough.

I don't really understand the point of griefing new players like that. Realistically, just killing someone because they turned their back on you just makes you an asshole, and one that is that much more likely to get yourself killed since you're so determined to be stuck by yourself. Teamwork is survival.

You spawn with food and ammo,some times meds, so its not really griefing. Teamwork is survival, with people you know and trust. Team work with total strangers is putting a gun in your mouth. and if you cant put up with assholes maybe the internet isnt a good place to be.

You spawn with food and ammo,some times meds, so its not really griefing. Teamwork is survival, with people you know and trust. Team work with total strangers is putting a gun in your mouth. and if you cant put up with assholes maybe the internet isnt a good place to be.

people keep saying this but if you can never get off the beach....that is sort of retarded.

people keep saying this but if you can never get off the beach....that is sort of retarded.

I dont know why people keep saying this is so hard, I have never been pked, ever, though Im not counting the time my friend shot me in the face when he was trying to kill a zombie that had knocked me out. and only been shot at once at the beach. basicaly Just run like hell into the woods and you'll be fine.

ever since 1.5.7, I've needed to run it as CO or it won't work at all.

What I meant was, you NEED OA at a minimum, and you can use ArmA 2 Free to combine to make CO supposedly. But it's easier to just buy CO outright with the full version of ArmA 2.

You spawn with food and ammo,some times meds, so its not really griefing.

It's still totally griefing, it's the goddamn definition. Sure, some people will kill you for your stuff but griefers do it solely for the purpose of having fun at the expense of others. They don't even care about your stuff, they just want to PK people and laugh. THOSE are the assholes in this game, not legit bandits.

Thinking about picking up ARMA to play this mod, but I don't think that I have enough friends to play with me :D

It looks pretty awesome from all the videos I've watched.

Thinking about picking up ARMA to play this mod, but I don't think that I have enough friends to play with me :D

It looks pretty awesome from all the videos I've watched.

Yeah, killing someone a couple of times, even a new spawner, because your almost out of food or ammo yourself is one thing, but then there are those who will kill you over, and over, and over, and over again which is BS.

Even people with a shoot first and ask questions later type of thing is kind of borderline in my eyes, but maybe that's just me because I'm the type of friendly guy who likes to help out and cooperate, even in a survival situation.

I think the main problem with this mod (which I am sure many people don't consider a "problem," but that doesn't mean it is any less of a problem) is that there are no objectives other than "survive." Well, I played in the game for a while, went into villages/cities alone, looted til I had all kinds of stuff and killed zombies, eventually got shot in the back by two bandits after several hours of gameplay, and that was it. I wasn't irritated because I seemed to already have "won" the game - I had a shotgun, flashlight, compass, watch, match box, and other loot, and I was not running out of supplies anytime soon. I officially survived for a while. At the end, all I did was lose inventory that I seemingly could not improve any further anyway.

As with normal Arma, the mod just seems too "extreme" for a game. Instead of providing increasingly challenging and/or complex objectives to pursue in cooperation and competition with other players, it is an extreme jogging simulation with zombies thrown in.

Am i missing anything?

I think the main problem with this mod (which I am sure many people don't consider a "problem," but that doesn't mean it is any less of a problem) is that there are no objectives other than "survive." Well, I played in the game for a while, went into villages/cities alone, looted til I had all kinds of stuff and killed zombies, eventually got shot in the back by two bandits after several hours of gameplay, and that was it. I wasn't irritated because I seemed to already have "won" the game - I had a shotgun, flashlight, compass, watch, match box, and other loot, and I was not running out of supplies anytime soon. I officially survived for a while. At the end, all I did was lose inventory that I seemingly could not improve any further anyway.

As with normal Arma, the mod just seems too "extreme" for a game. Instead of providing increasingly challenging and/or complex objectives to pursue in cooperation and competition with other players, it is an extreme jogging simulation with zombies thrown in.

Am i missing anything?

No, that's a valid point. I hope in the future they will add random events such as maybe a convoy of NPCs that you can raid, or maybe even NPC soldiers that can attack you.

Right now, yeah, there is a real lack of any motivation other than hoarding items. Which, if you think about it, kinda makes what the griefers do make sense... collect a bunch of shit, get bored, and just go shoot people for the hell of it. Doesn't make them any less of assholes because they could just go play a different game, but I agree, there's not a lot to do yet.

Supposedly there are some rare vehicles and even a helicopter with mounted guns that you can repair/fuel and use. I've never actually seen one, though.

It's still totally griefing, it's the goddamn definition. Sure, some people will kill you for your stuff but griefers do it solely for the purpose of having fun at the expense of others. They don't even care about your stuff, they just want to PK people and laugh. THOSE are the assholes in this game, not legit bandits.

Made me laugh.

Here is a though, dont get outsmarted by an asshole.

Love love love this game. Had to hide from a group of bandits today that rolled up into the town using a bus.

Made me laugh.

Here is a though, dont get outsmarted by an asshole.

Yeah, it's being "outsmarted" when you spawn and immediately get shot in the back by some asshole. :rolleyes:

Seriously, why are you trying to push this? Do you honestly think it's fun when you get PKed for no reason over and over?

Basically, the way you'd have it, everyone would just shoot first and it would turn into a massive deathmatch. What a fun game... :rolleyes:

Back