Apple: Scratches On Aluminum Are Normal

*Apple* Here's a bumper, now STFU!

Pretty much what they said with the iPhone 4 debacle.

House is paid off - check
Cars are paid off - check

Not having to chase a marketing inspired desire to conform - priceless.

*Apple* Here's a bumper, now STFU!

Pretty much what they said with the iPhone 4 debacle.

The bumper was required to use the phone for phone calls. Nothing about aesthetics but usability, kind of different here.

Buy a slim and attractive phone to boost self confidence........buy an ugly and bulky case to protect it. I'll stick to my caseless plastic phone thanks.

Buy a slim and attractive phone to boost self confidence........buy an ugly and bulky case to protect it. I'll stick to my caseless plastic phone thanks.

I'd still put a rubber bumper on my plastic phone. Plastic can still chip, plus the cover pops off at any drops weist high or higher.

I wonder if Apple used a very soft anodize or paint for the back panel instead of a Type II or hard anodize. Good luck scratching those. It can be done, but generally not from normal hand use.

I thought they were going to make the phone out of glassy metal this time around? Did they run into some sort of obstacle they couldn't overcome that prevented this or was it simply too expensive?

So tired of talking about effing phones. This is what it has come too, huh? Pretty phones...

:rolleyes:

So tired of talking about effing phones. This is what it has come too, huh? Pretty phones...

Well, mobile computing is where we are heading, so yeah. These things are more powerful than late 90's PC's now. The progression is inevitable.

That being said, I put a case on my phone (s2) simply b/c I'm bad about dropping it.The case has already saved my phone a handful of times. Without it the phone stands a chance of breaking all together. I realize the case is ugly, but it protects the phone.

I kinda feel like Apple brought this air of invincibility on themselves. Their customers are becoming more and more demanding.

That being said, I put a case on my phone (s2) simply b/c I'm bad about dropping it.The case has already saved my phone a handful of times. Without it the phone stands a chance of breaking all together. I realize the case is ugly, but it protects the phone.

I've had a case on my Evo for life. It's not that I'm bad about dropping it, but rather, accidents do happen.

My roommate just got the iPhone 4S. He's decided to go caseless because he "feels he'll be more protective of it". Lol. Until that one tiny fall destroys it compared to a simple case protecting it.

Your ferrari doesn't have to spend the day in a pocket and possibly a purse with keys and other stuff in it.

You don't know that. His Ferrari could be a pocket sized one. If not, then he should be worried about it scratching.

Well, mobile computing is where we are heading, so yeah. These things are more powerful than late 90's PC's now. The progression is inevitable.

I know, I know... but long after I'm dead, someone will be bitching about the scratches on something else. I have never been one to buy in to all that bull. You buy thing, use them, and then take their lumps. There is a point at which consumerism becomes ridiculous and exhibits a glaring lack of prioritization.

I know, I know... but long after I'm dead, someone will be bitching about the scratches on something else. I have never been one to buy into all that bull. You buy things, use them, and then they take their lumps. There is a point at which consumerism becomes ridiculous and exhibits a glaring lack of prioritization. It consumes an inordinate amount of preoccupation and time to worry about such things.

If I worked for Apple right now, I'd totally pitch an automatic iPhone metal sanding machine for diehard fans to bring their phones "back to spec." Oh, and it would be a VERY expensive status symbol. ;)

I'm thinking an iPhone Sand Blaster :p

As long as the screen doesn't get scratched I don't really give a shit.

I know, I know... but long after I'm dead, someone will be bitching about the scratches on something else. I have never been one to buy in to all that bull. You buy thing, use them, and then take their lumps. There is a point at which consumerism becomes ridiculous and exhibits a glaring lack of prioritization.

I don't know of all the scratches cases, but when I buy anything new, I expect it to come pristine and without any defects. Anything different means the store is replacing it for me.

As for the people scratching their phones to confirm it is easily scratched and complaining, that's just dumb.

Coming soon.... the iPhone 5 scratch and dent paint touch up kit! Only $49.99!

Or buy a $5 rubber case for that thing. Seriously.

I know, I know... but long after I'm dead, someone will be bitching about the scratches on something else. I have never been one to buy into all that bull. You buy things, use them, and then they take their lumps. There is a point at which consumerism becomes ridiculous and exhibits a glaring lack of prioritization. It consumes an inordinate amount of preoccupation and time to worry about such things.

I agree with you on that. Most all people who have a smartphone have no business (almost quite literally) having one (speaking hypocritically, myself included) right now. The extent I see these 'smartphones' in the future is keeping immediate family on the same page with events, making the occasional call/message, paying for things (a digital wallet) on a broader scale than it is now and work usage of some type. I mean heck, most people don't need 85% of the power that a modern desktop brings. People surf the net, get email and melt their brains on social websites.

Hah, this is probably the first thing Apple has said that I liked, in a long while.

I thought of a new product to sell. The iScratcher. Description : This product is used to scratch and scar up your iPhone 5 to give it that worn out, tore up look that a few people desire. For the low price of $50, you will receive a genuine piece of abrasive paper that can be applied to any surface of your iPhone 5 and quickly turn it into a ugly piece of crap a few months earlier than other iPhone owners.

Ahem not to nit pick, but if that case is made or coated with aluminum oxide (which I'm guessing it is) then those aren't scratches, they're gouges :D

"what should we all do? any plans to fix this?"

sounds like a baby who needs his hand held.

I watched the youtube scratch videos, and the back of the iphone is pretty damn scratch resistant.

I wish i had that kind of aluminum on my cheap non-mac laptop.

It's not that easy to scratch. My Ferrari scratches easily as well but I'm not going to return it.

http://youtu.be/k2BxL0nRDlY

Sounds like a shitty Ferrari to me.

In all honesty though, is this like the iPod Touches which always scratched up at the back or is it just if you scratch it with keys or something? If it is the second then just get a case or something and be done with it(I think they have those invisible cases that are like screen protectors but for the whole phone).

Sounds like a shitty Ferrari to me.

In all honesty though, is this like the iPod Touches which always scratched up at the back or is it just if you scratch it with keys or something? If it is the second then just get a case or something and be done with it(I think they have those invisible cases that are like screen protectors but for the whole phone).

The mineralized clear coat on any modern automobile is incredibly easy to scratch.

At least it is incredibly easy to remove micro-marring/scratches from a clear coat though. Assuming you don't go deeper then the clear coat itself.

It can be as durable as metal. Plastic has a quality known as elasticity, where it can deform and return to its natural shape. Metal doesn't do that. Metal will either chip or dent.

You must be stoned to make that statement. What do you think springs are made of?
Now, had you replaced the word 'metal' with 'aluminum' your post would have made sense.

Romney thinks you should be able to "roll the windows down" on a pressurized aircraft at 30,000 in case you need oxygen, I don't see this complaint to be any less valid. :D

That was funny but, it was more about why can you not open the windows if there is a fire onboard...as in pull a pin to eject the window. He just has no clue about pressurized cabins.

Apple = Valve = Users whinging about something; scratches offending their OCD or hats in games.

Quit worrying about the scratches ITS A F'G PHONE. Geez.

I find it funny people buy apple overpriced crap pay more than it is worth and expect it not to suck balls

The mineralized clear coat on any modern automobile is incredibly easy to scratch.

At least it is incredibly easy to remove micro-marring/scratches from a clear coat though. Assuming you don't go deeper then the clear coat itself.
I was under the impression that clear coat is simply more revealing of scratches on darker paint colors, as it has a natural off-white color. Isn't clear coat itself more resistant to scratching than standard urethane paint coatings?

lol that is pretty funny.

My guess is the anodizing process was perhaps not tested enough for durability. Maybe it's something fairly new at Foxconn and Apple may be the first to use that specific process so it's not as proven yet at that particular plant. Just a guess though. After a couple kids get executed I'm sure they'll have the process tweaked for the iPhone 6. :D

i have been considering getting the whiter version only so it masks these scratches more.

Back