Apple’s Lame Fix For Antenna Issues

I know what the software update for the 3G and 3Gs will be... they'll start dropping calls at the same rate as the 4G to make it look on par with them.

And plus you can't send a company "to jail", LOL...

What'd come of criminal charges is perhaps government-level mandates/fees that force a recall or whatnot on Apple. That's why this is good. A class action suit that amounts to $2/person won't do squat for the consumer.

I notice you won't even respond to my suggestion that you just take it back if you aren't happy with it...so I guess there is only one possible phone in the world for you.

To bad its on a shitty network from a company that charges out the ass. Enjoy your phone I guess and stop whining. BTW their "fix" will get your fewer bars in more places.

Selling a product you know is flawed and doesn't work as intended... Is fraud.
All indications suggest that it appears to be functioning exactly as intended. The recent letter is indicative of that:
We have gone back to our labs and retested everything, and the results are the same— the iPhone 4’s wireless performance is the best we have ever shipped.

Which is exactly why mandating a way we hold our phones to be asinine.
No one is mandating the manner in which you hold your phones. Apple most certainly lacks the power to enact and enforce any sort of company-issued "mandate" upon consumers.

Apple advertises people holding it exactly like that. Here's a screencap from one of their ads...It's false advertising. I'm holding my phone the way Apple demonstrates and yet the signal still drops out. They know it too, that's FRAUD.
Firstly, you are not holding it. I believe it's been well established that you wouldn't buy the phone if it were flawless, let alone in its current, flawed state.

Secondly, you're overlooking and outright ignoring a couple factors at play that determine whether the phone is functional or not:

• If the phone has a strong signal, bridging the antenna with your skin won't result in a non-functional device. The signal level can be as high as ~-51 dBm and be as low as -113 dBm (or lower) and still remain functional. The signal loss when bridging the antenna is approximately 22 dBm according to Anandtech's testing (which is a figure that may vary substantially from user to user). Thus, about 65% of the potential signal range results in a fully functional phone and that's only for those phones affected to the same extent as the phone Anandtech tested.
  • Some users are reporting no issue with signal loss and there are videos demonstrating that. Why some users are unaffected is not yet known, but it's suspected that a design flaw with the microSIM tray and/or the microSIM itself is resulting in the signal attenuation issues. It's not known whether the flaw exists in all trays or in all microSIMs.
So it's obviously quite possible to rest your palm against the left side of the phone, cup the phone, hold it with a "death grip", hold it naturally and so on and so forth without causing any issue with phone functionality. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that holding the phone in the manner Apple demonstrates will always result in a non-functional phone. In some cases, it may. In other cases, it will not.

You might also be aware that other phones exhibit similar signal attenuation issues as the iPhone and are advertised in a manner in which people are holding the phones in ways that may potentially cause signal attenuation, yet you have no appear to take no issue with these other advertisements or the companies producing those phones. Why?

I notice you won't even respond to my suggestion that you just take it back if you aren't happy with it...so I guess there is only one possible phone in the world for you.

To bad its on a shitty network from a company that charges out the ass. Enjoy your phone I guess and stop whining. BTW their "fix" will get your fewer bars in more places.
Oh, I don't own the phone... And if I did that thing would've been returned ASAP.

• If the phone has a strong signal, bridging the antenna with your skin won't result in a non-functional device. The signal level can be as high as ~-51 dBm and be as low as -113 dBm (or lower) and still remain functional. The signal loss when bridging the antenna is approximately 22 dBm according to Anandtech's testing (which is a figure that may vary substantially from user to user). Thus, about 65% of the potential signal range results in a fully functional phone and that's only for those phones affected to the same extent as the phone Anandtech tested.

• Does not explain people with 5 bars (that have enough signal) that reproduce the issue.

You might also be aware that other phones exhibit similar signal attenuation issues as the iPhone and are advertised in a manner in which people are holding the phones in ways that may potentially cause signal attenuation, yet you have no appear to take no issue with these other advertisements or the companies producing those phones. Why?
    Because nobody has posted a video of another phone completely dropping signal by touching a FINGERTIP to the device. None.
    I 100% agree signal degradation can happen on any device if you cup your hands around it. That's not what we're talking about though.

Does not explain people with 5 bars (that have enough signal) that reproduce the issue.
It does, actually. Four bars corresponds to -91 dBm. No service happens somewhere below -113 dBm. Thus, five bars is -51 dBm through about -90 dBm. Therefore, the range between the lower extreme of the phone displaying five bars and the phone reporting no signal is somewhere around 23 dBm. In Anandtech's testing, they observed that 24 dBm of attenuation was sometimes observed when holding the phone. So the potential attenuation factor is approximately the same as the gap between the lower extreme of the phone displaying five bars and loss of service.

So, yeah, it is absolutely possible for the phone to display five bars and go from five bars to no signal because the span between the threshold of the phone displaying five bars and the phone displaying no service is lower than the potential signal attenuation factor. Basic math.

Because nobody has posted a video of another phone completely dropping signal by touching a FINGERTIP to the device. None.
What would that have to do with your claim of fraud and/or false advertising? I thought we were talking about the image you posted earlier, or have you simply decided to shift the argument into a meaningless territory?

I 100% agree signal degradation can happen on any device if you cup your hands around it. That's not what we're talking about though.
Yeah, we're talking about the image you posted of a person holding a phone in a natural position in an Apple ad and you claiming that holding it in such a way would simply result in a non-functional device, which I clearly refuted. So why are we still discussing this?

A friend of mine recently bought an iPhone 4. He is having issues with reception in places that he did not have before... I find it funny when he drops in the middle of a conversation.

This article is frikkin funny as hell...

What would that have to do with your claim of fraud and/or false advertising? I thought we were talking about the image you posted earlier, or have you simply decided to shift the argument into a meaningless territory?
Because "other phones" this isn't an issue with. "Other phones" don't drop signal with a fingertip.

Because "other phones" this isn't an issue with. "Other phones" don't drop signal with a fingertip.
So Apple is guilty of fraud because other phones don't lose signal strength with a fingertip? That makes a lot of sense.

Can you explain the relevance of the distinction between fingertip contact and contact from holding the phone in a natural position re: fraud? You haven't made any attempt to establish any relevance yet you keep using it as as a pillar of your argument.

Given that, Google also knows that the Nexus One loses signal strength when held. Is Google also guilty of fraud? Is it an issue of not the existence of the problem of signal attenuation when a given phone is held but its severity? At what level of severity would constitute fraud; what is the threshold? Who is responsible for defining this threshold?

All phones, given enough shielding (your whole hand grip) will decrease. That's natural.

Simple fingertip contact and nothing more is not "normal" by any stretch of the imagination.

All phones, given enough shielding (your whole hand grip) will decrease. That's natural.

Simple fingertip contact and nothing more is not "normal" by any stretch of the imagination.

You act like people are going to go out, buy the phone, and hold it to their head with a single finger, exactly in that spot. It's also easy enough to fix so why are you bitching? Those videos you keep referring to could be fabricated by hardcore Apple haters like you anyway, give us some more solid evidence.

You don't like it? Don't fucking buy it, they're not holding a gun to your head telling you to buy it. With enough lost sales, the message will get through.

You act like people are going to go out, buy the phone, and hold it to their head with a single finger, exactly in that spot. It's also easy enough to fix so why are you bitching? Those videos you keep referring to could be fabricated by hardcore Apple haters like you anyway, give us some more solid evidence.
:rolleyes:

I can walk into any Apple store, and so can many, many other people... And reproduce this issue. It's like asking me to prove the sky is blue...

You totally don't get the point about the finger. It means there's a problem with directly attaching the antennas to the metal band. That means that AS LITTLE AS one fingerprint would cause it. It's stupid I'm even arguing this, NO SHIT people don't hold it with a single finger.

Instead of charge 199 or 299 for a phone that forces you to then purchase a $30 case which is sold exclusively by apple, why didn't they just make a non-suck phone and sell it for 229 or 329?

:rolleyes:

I can walk into any Apple store, and so can many, many other people... And reproduce this issue. It's like asking me to prove the sky is blue...

You totally don't get the point about the finger. It means there's a problem with directly attaching the antennas to the metal band. That means that AS LITTLE AS one fingerprint would cause it. It's stupid I'm even arguing this, NO SHIT people don't hold it with a single finger.

Some people will do anything to kiss Steve Jobs ass.

All phones, given enough shielding (your whole hand grip) will decrease. That's natural. Simple fingertip contact and nothing more is not "normal" by any stretch of the imagination.
Once again, you've failed to answer simple, straightforward, point-blank questions I've posed to you. I think we're done here.

Refering to Emission btw

I'm not defending Apple here, I'm just asking for better sources because this issue seems stupid when a piece of tape could fix it until Apple gets their shit together. I don't get how hard it is to not hold it on that spot either, it's pretty far down on the phone.

Given the "evidence," I wouldn't buy one, but pick your words more carefully next time dipshit.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2004..._is_right_iphone_4_signal_woes_overblown.html

First, they placed a call on an iPhone 4 while holding the handset from the top. They then switched to the infamous "grip of death"--holding the bottom of the phone tightly with two hands.

"We succeeded in taking a five-bar display and reducing it to one bar by doing that," Webb says. "But the call remained solid and never dropped."

Next, they took Webb's first-generation iPhone (from 2007) and repeated the experiment: "We got the exact same results." Their findings, he says, support Apple's contention that nearly all of today's cell phones are susceptible to human interference.
My 2G iPhone on Tmobile doesn't lose a single one of it's 5 bars, just tried it. No lose of signal at all.

Back