Apple’s Lame Fix For Antenna Issues

HardOCP News

[H] News
Seriously? This is the best excuse Apple can come up with? I suppose the dropped calls were “never real in the first place” either. :(

"Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place," the company said in a statement. "We are also making bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see," Apple said.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Wow... Just wow........ I try to be fair when it comes to Apple, while poking some good fun in the process.. But this really takes the cake...

So you know that two bars you're seeing on your iPhone, when you're not covering the bottom left corner of your phone? Well, its actually zero bars, according to Apple. lol

And you know that bad reception you're getting? You know, the big O? Well actually, you're not getting reception because the pictures of the signal bars are being displayed wrong. :p Misdirection ftw. Look, a distraction!

No edit button. >_<

LOL, they're not even buying that steveing load of an excuse over at MacTechnica.

It will be interesting to see what people come up with to defend them this time

That statement could not possibly have come from Apple. They would have to assume everyone who buys Apple products to be complete idiots for them to even put that statement out. Maybe people will start blaming Apple for a crappy iPhone service instead of ATT.

So that's the big "fix" that's coming in the new iOS version? Taller 1, 2, and 3 bars? Yikes.

Wow, I am definitely jumping ship when my contract is up. My 3G has been a piece of sh!t lately anyway.

It also looks like the new software update is an effort to shift blame to ATT for poor signal.

baghdad_bob_1.jpg

I feel bad for all the iphone4 owners. I know I wouldn't put up with this crap from any manufacturer. They're basically saying screw you we're not going to actually fix the problem and oh while we're at it your reception was never as good as you thought; because we've been rigging the phone to show better reception than you actually have for the last couple generations of iphone.

As I've been saying since the prototype leaked and many of suspected something fishy about the metal bands - which turned out the be the antennas - and now basically have proof with this ridiculous attempt to distract people (magical misdirection, eh), it comes down to this after all:

"It's the antennas, stupid."

/me knew he was right all along...

When did Apple start letting the Onion write their press releases?

Something tells me that this article is a spoof. Steve Job's an ass, but I just don't see him being this stupid.

wtf? So now they're going to start jacking with the signal reception on my iphone 3gs... so in other words, they're going to artificially lower reception across the board so I always show 1 or 2 bars rather than the normal 4-5.

What a joke, own up to the flaw and fix it.

That statement could not possibly have come from Apple. They would have to assume everyone who buys Apple products to be complete idiots for them to even put that statement out. Maybe people will start blaming Apple for a crappy iPhone service instead of ATT.

I blame Apple for ATT's crappy service - and I blame ATT for their crappy service. They put phones on their network that destroys the network. I had a blackberry with them and I was lucky for a call to even come in. If a call did not get to my phone, it would not go through to my voicemail either. Just some standard message of an error.

I never liked Apple, and I crossed ATT off my list.

Do a little research people. Apple is telling the truth on this one.

That drop seems exaggerated because the phone can wrongly display four or five bars of signal strength when it shouldn't, Apple said.

"Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place," the company said in a statement.

These statements are most likely a response to Anandtech's discovery of the issue. As you can see from his testing, the bars are clearly displayed in an odd manor. Whether it was by design or not, the bars clearly aren't displayed right. Bars 1-4 span a total of 22 dB while bar 5 spans 40 dB. Like Apple said, this causes the phone to display 4 or 5 bars when it really shouldn't and it causes the phone to show more bars dropping in the vice grip scenario than it would if the bars were displayed correctly. I assume Apple will release an update that makes the bar divisions linear. If they were linear, the vice grip scenario would cause the phone to drop 2 bars at most, not 4 bars as it's doing now.

bars.jpg

By the way, the iPhone isn't the only phone to drop some signal when holding it tight. All phones do this, but the iPhone 4 just happens to do it a little more than most phones. This compounded with the bars not being displayed linearly is what made it so easy to notice.

For comparison, Anand found that the iPhone 4 losed 24.6 dB of signal when gripped very tightly in that particular spot, while a Nexus One loses 17.7 dB when gripped in the same manor. So yes, the iPhone 4 is worse in this regard, but it's not nearly as big of a deal as everyone thinks.

We have some prophets, here...

Predicted Apple would just fake signal strength like they did on the 3GS. What do you know? They are :p

This also FAILS to explain the DROP IN SIGNAL that can be reproduced. Touch (with a fingertip) that spot and your call audio drops out. Touch that spot and browsing ceases to work.
A software patch that changes the bars won't modify that fact.

Not even the Apple Reality Distortion Field is strong enough to contain this BS...

These statements are most likely a response to Anandtech's discovery of the issue. As you can see from his testing, the bars are clearly displayed in an odd manor. Whether it was by design or not, the bars clearly aren't displayed right. Bars 1-4 span a total of 22 dB while bar 5 spans 40 dB. Like Apple said, this causes the phone to display 4 or 5 bars when it really shouldn't and it causes the phone to show more bars dropping in the vice grip scenario than it would if the bars were displayed correctly. I assume Apple will release an update that makes the bar divisions linear. If they were linear, the vice grip scenario would cause the phone to drop 2 bars at most, not 4 bars as it's doing now.

bars.jpg

By the way, the iPhone isn't the only phone to drop some signal when holding it tight. All phones do this, but the iPhone 4 just happens to do it a little more than most phones. This compounded with the bars not being displayed linearly is what made it so easy to notice.

For comparison, Anand found that the iPhone 4 losed 24.6 dB of signal when gripped very tightly in that particular spot, while a Nexus One loses 17.7 dB when gripped in the same manor. So yes, the iPhone 4 is worse in this regard, but it's not nearly as big of a deal as everyone thinks.

I guess I spoke too soon.

Can you name a single other phone that will drop a call at a decent signal strength because you touched it wrong (and of course, you touching it wrong = a normal way of gripping the phone)?

Some of you fanboys are just utterly ridiculous.

This also FAILS to explain the DROP IN SIGNAL that can be reproduced. Touch (with a fingertip) that spot and your call audio drops out. Touch that spot and browsing ceases to work.
A software patch that changes the bars won't modify that fact.

The only time you'll lose signal when touching that spot is if your signal is already poor. If you have a decent signal, it's not going to drop out.

You know, that'd be fine if it was just a bar dropping problem.

But it's more than that. The signal itself is CLEARLY dropping out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIXDWFozqu4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6oflC4qo8M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNmXrVNeGzs

The only time you'll lose signal when touching that spot is if your signal is already poor. If you have a decent signal, it's not going to drop out.

Watch the YouTube vids I just posted

:rolleyes:

There's videos of people standing UNDER AN ATT TOWER and reproducing this issue.

I guess I spoke too soon.

Can you name a single other phone that will drop a call at a decent signal strength because you touched it wrong (and of course, you touching it wrong = a normal way of gripping the phone)?

Some of you fanboys are just utterly ridiculous.

I own an Android phone, so I wouldn't call myself a fanboy. :rolleyes:

I'm just don't have a blind hatred for Apple. Like I said, if an iPhone 4 drops a call when you touch it there, then you didn't have a very strong signal in the first place. You saw the signal drop on the Nexus One right? ALL phones lose some signal when you grip them tightly. The iPhone 4 just happens to be a little worse than most phones and it looks worse than it is because the iPhone is displaying the bars wrong.

I own an Android phone, so I wouldn't call myself a fanboy. :rolleyes:

I'm just don't have a blind hatred for Apple. Like I said, if an iPhone 4 drops a call when you touch it there, then you didn't have a very strong signal in the first place. You saw the signal drop on the Nexus One right? ALL phones lose some signal when you grip them tightly. The iPhone 4 just happens to be a little worse than most phones and it looks worse than it is because the iPhone is displaying the bars wrong.

So, people with full (5 bars), was really now "3" bars.
3 bars isn't enough signal strength to make a call?
LOL

Watch the YouTube vids I just posted

:rolleyes:

There's videos of people standing UNDER AN ATT TOWER and reproducing this issue.

:rolleyes: There's no doubt it's an issue, but you're not going to totally lose coverage unless you're signal is already lower than -90 dB or so.

its pretty obvious this is a hardware issue when you watch the videos. The guys internet works great then instantly dies and works great again. Its no software issue and apple knows it. return your phone if you still can

So, people with full (5 bars), was really now "3" bars.
3 bars isn't enough signal strength to make a call?
LOL

Yes to the first part, and no to the second. If the bars were linear, you would have a chance of dropping a call if you had 2 bars and gripped the phone in that spot.

:rolleyes: There's no doubt it's an issue, but you're not going to totally lose coverage unless you're signal is already lower than -90 dB or so.

Did you watch the videos? All full bars.

Worse case, is that they were "misreported" and were indeed about 3 bars. Even at the bottom of your graph, -113dB... Plenty of signal to not drop a call.

All I'm saying is it's a bunch of horse $hit.
You can't fix a hardware problem with a software patch.

Back