Apple Plans to Use Its Own Chips in Macs From 2020, Replacing Intel

Dayman

Gawd
Apple Plans to Use Its Own Chips in Macs From 2020, Replacing Intel

BloomBerg said:
Apple Inc. is planning to use its own chips in Mac computers beginning as early as 2020, replacing processors from Intel Corp., according to people familiar with the plans.

The initiative, code named Kalamata, is still in the early developmental stages, but comes as part of a larger strategy to make all of Apple’s devices -- including Macs, iPhones, and iPads -- work more similarly and seamlessly together, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing private information. The project, which executives have approved, will likely result in a multi-step transition.

Current users will be forced to buy new Macs which will boost sales. More $$$ goes to Apple
Their current mobile processors seems to have much better IPC than Intel (at least according to geekbench4) which is actually quite scary and seeing this their latest announcement start make a lot of sense.

I wonder if they will let Microsoft run their new Windows 10 ARM with X86 emulation or not. Probably not.

Either way it will surely be the fastest laptop/desktop ARM hardware. And it will bring uniqueness and magic to Apple computers which they lost by move to Intel processors and allow Apple fanboys to be happier. For them and Apple it will be big win.

Now Intel need to get its shit together and put more effort into x86 hardware. If not I and millions of users will be very disappointed :nailbiting: Not to mention whole RISC vs CISC war will break out again... :hungover:

I wonder if they'll have to pay a license for x86 emulation until their 3rd party software gets up to speed.

Last edited:
I guess the only people in my office with new Macs in the future will be iOS devs.
The rest of us can/do live on Rhel/ubuntu &/or Windows.

I think all of the people I work with hate the new Mac keyboard.

Back