Apple: iPhone 5 Defect “Normal”

HardOCP News

[H] News
Now this is the Apple we all know and love. You're seeing it wrong. Duh. :D

For a device that's barely a week old, the Apple iPhone 5 sure has seen its share of controversies. Among the (arguably minor) issues experienced by the Apple faithful is a now-notorious purple haze artifact that appears when you try to take a picture that contains a lot of light. But don't expect a fix to come from Cupertino any time soon — a company representative says its violet flare is "normal behavior for the iPhone 5 camera."

Canon and Nikon etc. should take this approach. Would save them a bunch of money and they could just release whatever crap.

Here's a bumper that'll fix it, now STFU and be happy with the features we gave you.

Of course it's normal. It's just automatically Instagraming those photos for you. It's so innovative, it's almost magical!

It's the side effect of the fairy dust and unicorn tears they need to use when they make iPhones :p

Considering how many defects the iPhone's have, I wonder if any other popular phones have defects? Are we just paying too much attention to iPhones?

isn't there an app for that?

Maybe it's one of the LTE things?:eek::eek:

here is a link to the original article: that has actual pics, a link to the source thread on anandtech, an explanation of what causes it, the response from apple, pics of it occurring with the iphone 4s as well,

http://mashable.com/2012/09/26/iphone-5-purple-haze/

this is the link that should have been cited in the op - it has much better information.

Oh Apple , still hiding your shitty mistakes with "Its a Feature!!"

Classic. Hey guy's there is a "Feature" in my car where my brakes stop working!! Great job Ford!

Clicking back to the original comparison, they are comparing the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4s to a camera that costs $1000 without lens.

Your point? Do you expect them to compare it to a $29 black Friday special camera? A quality SLR camera is the best way to compare ANY camera phone. Therefore any defects, for any point and shoot or cell camera, should be obvious.

While not perfect, they could just pass all pictures through a DSP color correction filter that searches for bright spots, and adjusts the color balance around flares.

It wouldn't be that hard.

Knowing Apple, they will probably silently release a fix and never really acknowledge the problem. If its hardware, they will put out a new hardware revision just like they did with the iPhone 4. If its software, expect them to patch it soon, but never say anything.

Thanks to then change to warmer color-tones on the iPhone 5, almost everything has a purple tinge for me anyway.

This "controversy" is absurdly silly, and anyone who understands photography (or optics) decently well knows it. All similar cameras (those with no lens baffle) exhibit the same effects.

If you don't know it, and want to, listen to the most recent Anandtech podcast (#7) and they explain why this is "defect" is ridiculous.

Apple - Because our customers look at the world with rose color glasses. We decided to shade it purple for them, because we care.

3750488059_b9c25a7850.jpg

This "controversy" is absurdly silly, and anyone who understands photography (or optics) decently well knows it. All similar cameras (those with no lens baffle) exhibit the same effects.

If you don't know it, and want to, listen to the most recent Anandtech podcast (#7) and they explain why this is "defect" is ridiculous.

Chromatic aberration, I believe it's called - and it would be ridiculous except this is an Apple product we're talking about, people pay through the nose expecting perfection/"it just works" etc.

It may be, but I've never seen any pictures I've taken with any of my cellphones cameras have a purple haze to them (I currently own a Samsung Omina, and my last phone was a Nokia 3320).

what?!
I thought apple users were obedient little sheep who never complained about anything apple.

what?!
I thought apple users were obedient little sheep who never complained about anything apple.

Yes, we're all idiots and sheep, unlike Android users, who are pretentious little bitches. :cool:

they dare question their master?

apple sets the stardard for "normal".
everything else is abnormal.

what?!

People are finally beginning to realize that the odor they smell is not magical innovative shit and a good sign, but just plain ol' ten feet high bullshit their bumper can't protect them from.

I'm going to be so happy when Apple crashes, burns and their overpriced bubble pops. I hope they do not receive a bailout from the US Government, but I don't see why they would since the half million employees they have in the United States don't provide to the economy from their Mom's basement anyway. :D

People are finally beginning to realize that the odor they smell is not magical innovative shit and a good sign, but just plain ol' ten feet high bullshit their bumper can't protect them from.

I'm going to be so happy when Apple crashes, burns and their overpriced bubble pops. I hope they do not receive a bailout from the US Government, but I don't see why they would since the half million employees they have in the United States don't provide to the economy from their Mom's basement anyway. :D

Wow. Just wow. If I had a fucking nickel for every time I saw an idiotic post.

Who needs instagram? Not iPhone 5 users!

But yeah, this is normal behavior as pointed out a couple of times above. Cases and other accessories will probably help mitigate this issue somewhat if it's too much of a problem.

I just want to add that I don't think this is acceptable. It's just possibly not a manufacturing defect.

Want a fix? buy the iPhone 5S next year. :D

I don't like Apple, But there is an explanation to that "feature" on a bunch of cameras (well lenses on my DSLR, cheap lenses that is), though I've never seen it this worst before that I can say :D, Apple Can just release a software color filter to fix it though

I'm going to be so happy when Apple crashes, burns and their overpriced bubble pops.

q4-earnings-thum-100006641-gallery.png

Guess how much their profit will be this quarter? What about next quarter (which should include the iphone5 sales and holiday sales)?

While I'd love to take any opportunity to bash Apple, I just don't see it here. The iPhones pictures look like any other cell phone camera photo out there (garbage). Not sure what comparing them to a professional camera is supposed to accomplish.

Oh, +1 for Daleks vs. Monkeys.

If you listen to Anandtechs podcast they discuss this. I won't go into exactly what he says, but basically it's not even an issue and this is just stupid to talk about. Listen to their podcast if you want if nothing else it's a great podcast.

Purple fringing is a common problem in camera phones, and even some SLRs. Those of you claiming that your non-Apple phone doesn't do this should attempt to take a picture with the sun slightly out of frame.

Back